English cricket thread

JohnnyKills

Anderson strikes in first over :lol:
BTW - I agree with you
Leaving out Archer for Curran is such an English move. Got two guys who can bowl 90mph but pick an 80mph seamer because he can bat.

No wonder we always fail overseas FFS.

NinjaFletch

Leaving out Archer for Curran is such an English move. Got two guys who can bowl 90mph but pick an 80mph seamer because he can bat.

But we're not picking a team to win a test match overseas, and Curran has been lethal with the ball over here for a few summers now.

I also think it's a pretty obvious message to Archer, given what Root said yesterday, that he isn't bowling in a manner that they would like him to. A bit of tough love, I think.

JohnnyKills

But we're not picking a team to win a test match overseas, and Curran has been lethal with the ball over here for a few summers now.

I also think it's a pretty obvious message to Archer, given what Root said yesterday, that he isn't bowling in a manner that they would like him to. A bit of tough love, I think.
Lethal? He's averaging two wickets a test. Which, given he only ever plays in conditions that suit him, makes him about as lethal as a super-soaker.

Surely we need to keep one eye on the future. The reason we get consistently hammered outside England is because we don't plan for overseas conditions and turn up with the wrong bowlers.

And it's not even like we need an extra swing bowler here. With Anderson, Broad and Woakes we've got three excellent swing bowlers. If we want to give Archer a kick up the backside (which is fair enough) surely Wood would be the better option.

YAMS49

Archer hasn't bowled consistent 90mph this whole Summer. If he is bowling mid 80's there are better options.

paulscholes18

Lethal? He's averaging two wickets a test. Which, given he only ever plays in conditions that suit him, makes him about as lethal as a super-soaker.

Surely we need to keep one eye on the future. The reason we get consistently hammered outside England is because we don't plan for overseas conditions and turn up with the wrong bowlers.

And it's not even like we need an extra swing bowler here. With Anderson, Broad and Woakes we've got three excellent swing bowlers. If we want to give Archer a kick up the backside (which is fair enough) surely Wood would be the better option.
Curran been under bowled especially in England, he’s played 8 tests at home only averaging 20 overs a test match but has a SR of 42.23. Archer has played 7 but averaging 38 overs a test and has a SR of over 50

How the feck can you drop that

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

At an average of 22 and a SR of 42.5. That's a better average and SR than Archer and its far, far better than Wood whose record in England is absolutely dog shit. There's zero justification for picking Wood over Curran in a test in England.

The middle paragraph is a fair point, but you're playing a test in England where there's grass on the pitch and the ball is swinging. It doesn't matter who you pick, you're not getting close to replicating the conditions that England have struggled in. Unless you want groundsmen to create fast bouncy pitches (I'm not even sure you can do that mind) and want us to play with the Kookabura too, then you're just picking a team to lose a test match in England.

I actually think England are largely starting to figure it out. Wood was an automatic choice in the winter, but he's not here because the pitches don't suit him as much, whereas Woakes's record is so poor overseas he's going to drop out of contention. I'm not sure there's anything wrong with picking the pair in conditions that suit them and not flogging them on pitches that don't.

Last edited:

YAMS49

I'd like to know if Burns & Sibley are slip fielders at Surrey & Warks respectively.

Your best slip should be at 2nd.

Mcking

England could be in for a long day if they can't get wickets with the new ball. Stokes and Archer are their best when the ball gets old.

JohnnyKills

At an average of 22 and a SR of 42.5. That's a better average and SR than Archer and its far, far better than Wood whose record in England is absolutely dog shit. There's zero justification for picking Wood over Curran in a test in England.

The middle paragraph is a fair point, but you're playing a test in England where there's grass on the pitch and the ball is swinging. It doesn't matter who you pick, you're not getting close to replicating the conditions that England have struggled in. Unless you want groundsmen to create fast bouncy pitches (I'm not even sure you can do that mind) and want us to play with the Kookabura too, then you're just picking a team to lose a test match in England.

I actually think England are largely starting to figure it out. Wood was an automatic choice in the winter, but he's not here because the pitches don't suit him as much, whereas Woakes's record is so poor overseas he's going to drop out of contention. I'm not sure there's anything wrong with picking the pair in conditions that suit them and not flogging them on pitches that don't.
Fair enough mate. We both want England to win and guess we just see the roadmap differently.

Personally I would be in favour of doing exactly what you suggest with the pitches and ball, so guess my own perspective flows from that.

JohnnyKills

I'd like to know if Burns & Sibley are slip fielders at Surrey & Warks respectively.

Your best slip should be at 2nd.
Was Buttler any good when he fielded in the slips? If so, that might be another reason for picking him as a batsman-only.

If and when we move Pope up to three, whoever comes in at 6 needs to be a good slip fielder because we haven't got that right at all.

YAMS49

Was Buttler any good when he fielded in the slips? If so, that might be another reason for picking him as a batsman-only.

If and when we move Pope up to three, whoever comes in at 6 needs to be a good slip fielder because we haven't got that right at all.
Slip fielders tend to be naturals, it's rare you learn the role. Either you are comfortable there or not. Since Cook retired we've missed a natural there, perhaps.

NinjaFletch

Fair enough mate. We both want England to win and guess we just see the roadmap differently.

Personally I would be in favour of doing exactly what you suggest with the pitches and ball, so guess my own perspective flows from that.
I just think you have to be careful not to chuck the baby out with the bathwater. We all want England to win in Australia, but we play there once every two years. Completely ripping up everything about what makes it hard to play in England in pursuit of that win is a folly, I think. And you still might get there and get pounded because Australia have some phenomenal players.

And more generally, Australia play a large number of really boring test matches where you have to post 500+ on a road to stand a chance. I'm not sure the English cricket watching public, who have got used to there being a real balance between bat and ball, would warm to those matches, especially if England are regularly losing them.

It's not an easy problem to solve, hardly anybody tours well these days, but I just don't think the solution to it is picking the wrong players in England, just like you wouldn't pick Leach Bess and Virdi for this test because you're due to tour India soon.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Best team of the last 20 years

1. G.Smith
2. Hayden
3. Ponting/Sangakkara
4. Tendulkar
5. Steve Smith
6. Jacques Kallis
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Shane Warne
9. Dale Steyn
10. Glenn McGrath
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Lara misses out because Kallis can bowl. Tails a bit light but it doesn't matter.
Players I've seen play (Rule: one from each current test nation). Was so hard!!!
Who wins: your team vs mine?

Cook Eng
Tendulkar Ind
Sangakara (WK) SL
Kohli Ind
Viv Richards WI
Shakib Al Hasan Bang
Imran Khan (captain) Pak
Hadlee NZ
Akram Pak
Warne Aus
Steyn SA

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Archer hasn't bowled consistent 90mph this whole Summer. If he is bowling mid 80's there are better options.
Do you think Archer is deliberately bowling at less than full speed: I thought it was an instruction from management to suit the conditions?
If not, why is he not capable of doing what he did last summer?

YAMS49

Do you think Archer is deliberately bowling at less than full speed: I thought it was an instruction from management to suit the conditions?
If not, why is he not capable of doing what he did last summer?
Deliberately, no. He's needs a fire in his belly imo, he needs to be angry to reach those speeds.

paulscholes18

Shall we have a sub discussion over the next few days of England vs Pakistan 2nd test. Perhaps like a mini draft?

What is the best test team of your lifetime?
Or the best test team of players playing today

(have to include one player each from Eng, Pak, Aus, W.I, SA, NZ, India, Bang, SL)

Or please suggest any others
Tom Latham (NZ)
Tamim Iqbal (BAN)
Steve Smith (AUS)
Babar Azam (PAK)
Virat Kohli (IND)
Ben Stokes (ENG)
Niroshan Dickwella (SL)
Jason Holder (WIN)
Mankad Ashwin (IND)
Pat Cummins (AUS)
Kagiso Rabada (SA)

12th man Rahkeem the dream

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I haven't got to watch the action today, but looks like we’re struggling again with the bat. Hopefully Babar can get a big score, a lot of pressure on him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What is the point of Fawad stance, when he gets into normal position by the time the ball arrives?

ha_rooney

Fawad’s stance is, erm, interesting...

Wolverine

Almost forgot about that Fawad stance! Good to see him back, curious to see how he does, many always talk about he's always woefully overlooked despite solid domestic numbers

ha_rooney

Looked out in real time, good review. Richard has had a poor series.

We’re in deep trouble. Missed the chance to win the first Test, now batting is capitulating as usual.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Should have enough time to work on that stance and technique until his next match in 2031.

ha_rooney

That looked so out didn't it. Umpire must have thought it pitched outside leg.
Yeah that’s surely the only reason. Holding’s praising him for giving it NO but I’d prefer if the bowler got the benefit of the doubt on those close calls & the batting team had to review instead.

Djemba-Djemba

Michael Holding should be banned from talking about DRS. :boring:
Genuinely think this should be the last summer he's on commentary. Feels like he's jumped the shark.

Hearing him rant about DRS, when the issue is he doesn't understand how it works, every single test is just annoying now.