English cricket thread

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Thought Williamson was crap. Just bowling the same three bowlers in to the ground. Letting two right handers put on an unbeaten century partnership against the old ball without facing your left arm spinner.

TheGame

Thought Williamson was crap. Just bowling the same three bowlers in to the ground. Letting two right handers put on an unbeaten century partnership against the old ball without facing your left arm spinner.
It was overcast so he went with the fast bowlers and probably was wary after Stokes scored off Patel. He should have set fields to stop the 1s and 2s.

LDUred

I can't, for the life of me, understand why Neil Wagner didn't play. I am not sure if Matt Henry was around but I would have picked him too over Patel. Henry also has an excellent record in county cricket and knows how to utilize English conditions, but he is not in the squad.

I get that Patel had a good tour of India, but this is England and a different story. If you're worried about Ben Stokes dismantling Patel, you clearly don't trust him; and if you don't trust a spinner against a player like Ben Stokes, you just don't pick him. Especially when you have got a proven nuisance in Neil Wagner who at the very least will give you gut-bursting effort and constant attrition.

DOTA

It was overcast so he went with the fast bowlers and probably was wary after Stokes scored off Patel. He should have set fields to stop the 1s and 2s.
And when it was clear there was nothing there for the fast bowlers, he just made futile attempts to get the ball changed again and stuck with them anyway.

DOTA

I can't, for the life of me, understand why Neil Wagner didn't play. I am not sure if Matt Henry was around but I would have picked him too over Patel. Henry also has an excellent record in county cricket and knows how to utilize English conditions, but he is not in the squad.

I get that Patel had a good tour of India, but this is England and a different story. If you're worried about Ben Stokes dismantling Patel, you don't trust him, and if you don't trust a spinner against anyone, you don't pick him. Especially when you have got a proven nuisance in Neil Wagner who at the very least will give you gut-bursting effort and constant attrition.
Yeah there's no point picking a guy to bowl two overs.

Djemba-Djemba

Can we now say Stokes and Root are test quality batsmen because they scored a 50 and a century in the last match?

Just checking?

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Found this accidentally revealing by Stokes post-match:

"When Foakesy went out to bat, he was going to send Broady in if we lost the wicket to go and have a slog, just to score 30, 40 runs, game's done," Stokes said. "That's the kind of stuff that we're not used to in the dressing room. Those kinds of things filtering around will do us the world of good”
I thought it was pretty obvious to do this from where I was sitting but it’s an indictment on Silverwood that this type of thinking hasn’t seemingly been in the England dressing room.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead

I get that Patel had a good tour of India, but this is England and a different story. If you're worried about Ben Stokes dismantling Patel, you clearly don't trust him; and if you don't trust a spinner against a player like Ben Stokes, you just don't pick him. Especially when you have got a proven nuisance in Neil Wagner who at the very least will give you gut-bursting effort and constant attrition.
With De Grandhomme out I think it’s a certainty that Patel will be dropped and they’ll go 4 pacers.

DOTA

With De Grandhomme out I think it’s a certainty that Patel will be dropped and they’ll go 4 pacers.
Would've thought so. De Grandhomme's a big loss for Trent Bridge, I think (do we know he's out?).

Abraxas

Williamson did have a strange game as captain. I think it's the batting they'll be more worried about though, they need him to do better in England and play to his class for them to turn around a short series.

Potts was good, and it was interesting to see a bit of Parkinson. I think he might be useful later in the summer at some of the grounds, I thought he maintained decent control for a leggie on a unresponsive pitch.

ThanksBoss26

Williamson did have a strange game as captain. I think it's the batting they'll be more worried about though, they need him to do better in England and play to his class for them to turn around a short series.

Potts was good, and it was interesting to see a bit of Parkinson. I think he might be useful later in the summer at some of the grounds, I thought he maintained decent control for a leggie on a unresponsive pitch.
Surprised its taken this long (and even then in unforeseen circumstances) for him to get a crack.

Although maybe I'm biased as a Lancs fan, I feel it's a fair bit overdue.

phelans shorts

Surprised its taken this long (and even then in unforeseen circumstances) for him to get a crack.

It’s absolutely overdue. Should have been given a crack in Sri Lanka/India last year but they were obsessed with the Dom Bess experiment despite him being a crap bowler. Anything for a batter that’ll average 16 though.

He gave a good account of himself I thought, not a particularly spin friendly pitch but he certainly didn’t do himself any harm. I fully expect him to play the second test, no way Leach is thrown in again that soon.

Abraxas

Problem for Parkinson (and indeed Leach) is Trent Bridge and Headingley aren't going to be massively favourable and then we have India coming over which won't be easy opposition to bowl spin against.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

Problem for Parkinson (and indeed Leach) is Trent Bridge and Headingley aren't going to be massively favourable and then we have India coming over which won't be easy opposition to bowl spin against. Then we have South Africa, however. I think Parkinson could be a very useful prospect later in the summer against them.
Even on not particularly spin friendly pitches, for me you need a spinner in the side. Just for the variety, I’ve seen far too many games plodding along with Craig Overton bowling the same as his teammates but shite while there’s nobody who actually offers good bowling with a bit of something different.

At the very least a spinner who can hold an end let’s you rack up overs to get to a new ball.

JohnnyKills

The issue with Parky will always be that he doesn't really bat or field, so needs to take wickets in both innings really. Can't see him doing that at test level.

Looks like Moeen is going to come back in the short term. Can see Livingstone getting a go as well, provided he gets overs under his belt in the Championship.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The issue with Parky will always be that he doesn't really bat or field, so needs to take wickets in both innings really. Can't see him doing that at test level.

Looks like Moeen is going to come back in the short term. Can see Livingstone getting a go as well, provided he gets overs under his belt in the Championship.
He got more runs than most of the batsmen in the first innings...

phelans shorts

Parky has been good in the field so far this season. It was a bit of a point to hold against him in the past but he’s improved massively sitting in the changing room with Jeetan Patel

Abraxas

Not sure about that, all he has to do is field, surely. As long as one of the bowlers can hold a bat at 8, everything else is a bonus. You always want your premium spinner in tests. Not sure Parkinson is that yet, but we'll see.

DOTA

Robinson out for longer than previously known
Pace bowler Ollie Robinson is unlikely to play for England until the Test series against South Africa in August because of an ongoing back issue.

Leach doing well.
left-arm spinner Jack Leach took part in England training on Wednesday before the second Test against New Zealand, which begins on Friday
Don't know if he's clear to play or not but I'm guessing he's at least symptom free if they're happy with him training.

Robindinho

Brook and Parkinson pulled out of the roses game tonight. Both playing on Friday?

Odd to pull them out (they were initially named in the squads) for them not to play.

Edit: I guess not. Team unchanged.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

Robinson out for longer than previously known

Leach doing well.

Don't know if he's clear to play or not but I'm guessing he's at least symptom free if they're happy with him training.
Yeah Leach will come back in for sure. He did nothing wrong so there's no way they should drop him.

Robinson looks like another crock doesn't he. Lack of proper training before getting into the England squad seems a major issue.

ThanksBoss26

Brook and Parkinson pulled out of the roses game tonight. Both playing on Friday?

Odd to pull them out (they were initially named in the squads) for them not to play.
Didn't realise Parkinson was initially in the Lancs squad - assumed he just was scheduled to remain in the Midlands and join up with England after we played at Leicester on Tuesday night.

Pleased Brook got pulled out though or Yorkshire might have got over the line last night! Another brilliant Lancs and Yorks game - crazy how many tight finishes the Roses match produces.

Glad we got the points though - feel we've done well to cash in early and get a buffer points wise before we lose Livingstone, Wood (and Salt I think) to England ODI/T20 duty.

Robindinho

Didn't realise Parkinson was initially in the Lancs squad - assumed he just was scheduled to remain in the Midlands and join up with England after we played at Leicester on Tuesday night.

Pleased Brook got pulled out though or Yorkshire might have got over the line last night! Another brilliant Lancs and Yorks game - crazy how many tight finishes the Roses match produces.

Glad we got the points though - feel we've done well to cash in early and get a buffer points wise before we lose Livingstone, Wood (and Salt I think) to England ODI/T20 duty.
You're right. They didn't technically name a squad specifically for the Yorkshire game but I just assumed he'd be in again after playing the night before. Brook was definitely named in Yorkshire's though.

Yeah, great win! God knows how after they were like 150-2 after 12 overs. The Gleeson over changed it (he's been a revelation) and how good has Tim David been?!

Salt has been picked too yes. I think they miss 3 games for the Netherlands series... Not got bad depth though, chance for Bohannon, Balderson etc.

JohnnyKills

You're right. They didn't technically name a squad specifically for the Yorkshire game but I just assumed he'd be in again after playing the night before. Brook was definitely named in Yorkshire's though.

Yeah, great win! God knows how after they were like 150-2 after 12 overs. The Gleeson over changed it (he's been a revelation) and how good has Tim David been?!

Salt has been picked too yes. I think they miss 3 games for the Netherlands series... Not got bad depth though, chance for Bohannon, Balderson etc.
Yeah great win. Should have enough to go through now. Hopefully some of the U19 WC players get a go.

Do we get the big guns back for the knockouts?

Also, anyone up for setting up a Lancs chat to avoid trolling the rest of the posters?

Robindinho

Yeah great win. Should have enough to go through now. Hopefully some of the U19 WC players get a go.

Do we get the big guns back for the knockouts?

Also, anyone up for setting up a Lancs chat to avoid trolling the rest of the posters?
Don't think so if they're picked by England again, unless they get released if they're played on different dates - the knockouts/finals are at the same time as the India T20/one day games... Likely to only lose Livingstone though, with the test players back.

phelans shorts

Don't think so if they're picked by England again, unless they get released if they're played on different dates - the knockouts/finals are at the same time as the India T20/one day games... Likely to only lose Livingstone though, with the test players back.
With the T20 World Cup around the corner I’m guessing that anybody who isn’t in the 11 for ODI’s will be sent back to the Blast to keep in T20 nick, which will be useful re:Livi and probably Parkinson too.

That game last night was unreal, the crowd change from the ball being hit to Hartley taking what was a very good catch will live long in the memory. Even moreso the non striker running celebrating until Drakes pointed Hartley out to him.

JohnnyKills

Won't we lose Buttler, Parky and Salt too then? They'll all be in the ODI/T20 squad.

This would probably be our team without the four international players:

Jennings
Balderson
Croft
Vilas
David
Wells
Jones
Bohannon
Hurt
Hartley
Gleeson

Hard to see that lineup doing anything really.

EDIT: You're right, the knockout stages coincide with the white-ball leg of the India series.
https://www.cricschedule.com/series/22-india-tour-of-england-2022-schedule-fixtures.html
https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/fixtures/t20_blast_fixtures_2022_full_schedule_dates.html

Hopefully the England selectors pick a very shallow squad so as not to have a whole load of the counties' best T20 players sitting on the bench!

Last edited:

phelans shorts

Won't we lose Buttler, Parky and Salt too then? They'll all be in the ODI/T20 squad.

This would probably be our team without the four international players:

Jennings
Balderson
Croft
Vilas
David
Wells
Jones
Bohannon
Hurt
Hartley
Gleeson

Hard to see that lineup doing anything really.

EDIT: You're right, the knockout stages coincide with the white-ball leg of the India series.
https://www.cricschedule.com/series/22-india-tour-of-england-2022-schedule-fixtures.html
https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/fixtures/t20_blast_fixtures_2022_full_schedule_dates.html

Hopefully the England selectors pick a very shallow squad so as not to have a whole load of the counties' best T20 players sitting on the bench!
I can’t see Salt being included in the squad, Parky is possible but I doubt he’ll play, and they’d probably rather him go back to his county than running drinks. Livingstone will only be in the T20 international squad you’d think too, so there’ll likely be ~some~ involvement for Lancashire. Jos is pretty much a no go. Wood will surely still be with Lancashire too.

It’s obviously not just a Lancashire thing, I reckon they’ll be sending a big chunk of “squad” players back, pointless having the likes of Billings etc… running drinks with a world cup around the corner.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
That game last night was unreal, the crowd change from the ball being hit to Hartley taking what was a very good catch will live long in the memory. Even moreso the non striker running celebrating until Drakes pointed Hartley out to him.
Magnificent moment. The roses matches have had some great endings recently, but that catch and the video ref referral was brilliant. Not a big match in the big picture of these things, but the kind of thing that sticks.

JohnnyKills

England conducting a review into bowler injuries, according to Goughie (who's been great on comms btw).

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
England conducting a review into bowler injuries, according to Goughie (who's been great on comms btw).
He's very good when he's with Sky/TMS. Absolutely awful on Talksport.

I see our army of 80mph 'quicks' are struggling on a decent deck again - who'd have thought it!

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
nothing like winning a toss and putting the opposition in and them being 0 done at lunch.