English cricket thread

JohnnyKills

I do think we might see the end of captain Dane this season. I did already, but yesterday he seemed to be on the verge of a breakdown before he went out to bat, which at that stage we were comfortably in front and having your leader how he was is about as far from inspiring as you can get.

I’m not so sure we’ll see Chapple go as we are in virtually every sense one of the best working counties right now, consistently bringing through new talent and improving, albeit that brings the caveat that we regularly lose those players for internationals. The constant trade off in cricket in wanting a side of players who are good but just not quite international level, it’s what Hampshire are brilliant at.
Yep. Vilas chewing his bat handle wasn't what you wanted to see was it!!

phelans shorts

Just seen that there’s conflicting reports between Cricinfo (who think Saqib Mahmood is joining Warwickshire) and the Daily Mail (who say that he’s signed a Lancashire extension). Very interested to find out who’s got an accurate story.

Djemba-Djemba

Not the best start to Buttlers reign as skipper, looking like two series defeats.

Topley has been great but the bowling was never our strong point especially with us missing some first choice options.

5 out of the 6 white ball matches Vs India though the batting has failed which is very unusual.

Swedish_Plumber

Easy to say in the wake of that match but England need a man like Pant.

Someone who’s capable of insane hitting but who can grit it out too. Seems to be too many English batters who get out quickly after they get in, stupidly too.

kiristao

Pant never fills me up with confidence but the guy keeps delivering when needed. Couple of lucky moments but what a brilliant innings by him today.
Pandya also seems like a new person ever since he was made the captain in IPL. Playing with such maturity and confidence at the moment.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Very surprising that we won the ODI and T20 series against England in England.

AshRK

Pant is an amazing talent and I feel test and 50 overs suit him more than t20s which is a surprise.

Great series win for India and much needed after the disappointment in the tests. Although would still trade this series win for the test win.

gorky_utd

Pant still needs to reduce unnecessary risk taking in his game but the potential of a proper dhoni replacement is there. Hardik and Pant reminded me of Dhoni Yuvraj.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Easy to say in the wake of that match but England need a man like Pant.

Someone who’s capable of insane hitting but who can grit it out too. Seems to be too many English batters who get out quickly after they get in, stupidly too.
Isn't that exactly what Root is?

He may have had a quiet series, from his point of view, but he can't do it every time.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Pant is a really special talent, not perfect yet but he’s clearly maturing and once he irons out the mental lapses he’ll be one of the very best. Like all the top players he has so much time and having a knack of turning up when the team really needs it also helps.

JohnnyKills

Just seen that there’s conflicting reports between Cricinfo (who think Saqib Mahmood is joining Warwickshire) and the Daily Mail (who say that he’s signed a Lancashire extension). Very interested to find out who’s got an accurate story.
Would you keep him?

phelans shorts

Would you keep him?
He’s obviously quite the player and I do really like him but he’s likely to have minimal role going forward due to England but also unlikely he gets an actual central contract, so it’s tough. The money spent on him could probably be better used on a couple of players the level below that who strengthen us generally.

I probably would keep him but could definitely understand the mindset of not doing.

Hercules

Pant never fills me up with confidence but the guy keeps delivering when needed. Couple of lucky moments but what a brilliant innings by him today.
Pandya also seems like a new person ever since he was made the captain in IPL. Playing with such maturity and confidence at the moment.
Pandya has been brilliant since his son was born, lucky charm maybe? Different for Kohli though

mav_9me

How do we (India) fix this top order in ODI and T20 and tests? Increasing dependence on Pant/Pandya/Jadeja. Bigger problem when we go with a long tail like today? Time for change over to Ishan Kishan and others?

Swedish_Plumber

Isn't that exactly what Root is?

He may have had a quiet series, from his point of view, but he can't do it every time.
Fair point actually.

Just seems whenever he doesn’t get a knock England struggle, probably why I thought that they needed a Pant. Very much needed a partnership like he and Pandya had.

Not sure what’s happened to make the English sides form completely switch between the one day formats and tests!

Skills

Snitch
How do we (India) fix this top order in ODI and T20 and tests? Increasing dependence on Pant/Pandya/Jadeja. Bigger problem when we go with a long tail like today? Time for change over to Ishan Kishan and others?
I'd just back Shaw & Gill at the top personally. Shaw's built for the modern limited overs game, and Gill makes run scoring look effortless. They're far, far too talented to not work out after a good run.

mav_9me

Fair point actually.

Just seems whenever he doesn’t get a knock England struggle, probably why I thought that they needed a Pant. Very much needed a partnership like he and Pandya had.

Not sure what’s happened to make the English sides form completely switch between the one day formats and tests!
How much did the form switch really? What I mean is basically Bairstow and Root won the test and the previous test series. In these they were less dominant. The rest of the team in general underperformed in all formats, no?

mav_9me

I'd just back Shaw & Gill at the top personally. Shaw's built for the modern limited overs game, and Gill makes run scoring look effortless. They're far, far too talented to not work out after a good run.
Yeah. Change of guard.

Swedish_Plumber

How much did the form switch really? What I mean is basically Bairstow and Root won the test and the previous test series. In these they were less dominant. The rest of the team in general underperformed in all formats, no?
I guess the jury’s still out on the test side.

Will see how the ODI side get on on Tuesday against a less potent SA. But there are certain players in that side today who might find themselves out if they have another poor series.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Fair point actually.

Simply not true.

mav_9me

Pant is an amazing talent and I feel test and 50 overs suit him more than t20s which is a surprise.

Great series win for India and much needed after the disappointment in the tests. Although would still trade this series win for the test win.
Feels similar to how players like Roberto carlos, Dani Alves etc are great at attacking from full back position but would not do well in winger position.

Like Pant's attacking ability is better suited to the more patient approach Tests and ODIs than the aggressive T20s...

sport2793

Feels similar to how players like Roberto carlos, Dani Alves etc are great at attacking from full back position but would not do well in winger position.

Like Pant's attacking ability is better suited to the more patient approach Tests and ODIs than the aggressive T20s...
Ya it basically comes down to the fact that Pant needs a few balls to get used to the pitch and then he can cut loose. I feel he can improve on being able to go from ball 1 but there really isn't a player out there who can consistently do this apart from maybe Andre Russell.

The bigger issue for India is the top order being so unreliable at the moment. Kohli needs to be dropped immediately, think the off-pitch activities have gotten to him as he plays like he's distracted. The idea of Shaw and Gill is not bad, although it's time to put Samson in the T20 team, thought he had a very good IPL and like his SR coming into the early middle order. Here you go for T20: Rahul, Shaw, Ishan, Samson, Hooda, Pant, Hardik, Jadeja, H Patel or Arshdeep, Bhuvi, Bumrah. You get a great balance of right and left-handed batsmen throughout the order. It would be hard to leave Rohit out but I think you would only want one of Rahul or Rohit to play anchor. I would also bowl the last 3 overs with Arshdeep, Bhuvi, Bumrah who are all great at the death. This team would win the world cup but it will never be selected.

For ODI it would be Rohit, Shaw, Gill, Suryakumar or Samson, Pant, Hardik, Jadeja, Bumrah, Shami, Chahal, Siraj or Prasidh Krishna as it's useful to have more bowlers for this format.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

This was a shitshow all around. Bowler bowling a no ball, umpires calling dead ball too early and also missing the fact that Hants changed the field on a free hit.

And what is the striker doing? It's a free hit, stand outside off stump and the bowler has nowhere to go.