English cricket thread

Fully Fledged

England have the moral high ground and we are going to absolutely throw it away at Headingley in the stands and on the pitch. Can't wait.
They'll get a hostile crowd in Leeds now. The only problem is that it will still be no where near as passionate as a Sub-Continent crowd.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
England have the moral high ground and we are going to absolutely throw it away at Headingley in the stands and on the pitch. Can't wait.
Going to get to lunch on day one having played about six overs because they've been attempting mankads every ball.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Funny thing is that because people have been talking about examples all evening, I can remember the t20 in Australia before WC last year when Wade should have been clearly out obstructing the fielder but Butler decided to not appeal

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Funny thing is that because people have been talking about examples all evening, I can remember the t20 in Australia before WC last year when Wade should have been clearly out obstructing the fielder but Butler decided to not appeal
Because they were going to be in Australia for a long time and he didn't want the crowd against him that early in the trip!

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
They'll get a hostile crowd in Leeds now. The only problem is that it will still be no where near as passionate as a Sub-Continent crowd.
Different crowds for different cultures mate. Plenty of us love our cricket here.

SirMattBugsby

My first reaction watching it live was: Bairstow, where the feck are you strolling?! He can feel a bit hard done by, but his carelessness played a role as well. Carey (no pun intended) used the ball as soon as he received it, to dislodge the stumps. Isn't that the description of a regular stumping?

The fact that a batsman can consider a ball to be dead when the wicketkeeper has almost instantly thrown the ball, is careless. Again, maybe feel a bit hard done by, but he's not faultless and cannot blame the opposition for exploiting it. The fact that they've seen it before, puts it even more on him.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Because they were going to be in Australia for a long time and he didn't want the crowd against him that early in the trip!

So ? Doesn’t change the fact that he didn’t appeal even though it was clearly out

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Bairstow actually looked like he wanted it so bad today too, left every bouncer. Brainfade(I wouldn’t even call it that) kind of ruined everything

Samid

So ? Doesn’t change the fact that he didn’t appeal even though it was clearly out
It was an irrelevant series with non-existing crowds right before the World Cup. He said himself he didn't want to do it that early on tour, implying he would consider doing it in an important game later.

Besides we can't talk about that because, to quote @Dan_F, that was a "completely different situation".

SirMattBugsby

"Srikkanth was a restless, fidgety person who between balls in an over was in the habit of walking away from the crease, towards the square-leg umpire, humming slokas. But on his debut Test in 1981 against England in Mumbai, he nonchalantly strolled outside the crease when the ball was still in play. John Emburey swooped on the ball and ran him out. The Englishmen were laughing at the manna from Heaven they could not have expected even in schools cricket. The Indian camp would have been understandably livid. And Srikkanth had to walk back in utter embarrassment after getting out in the most ridiculous fashion in a Test match."

https://www.cricketcountry.com/arti...anth-was-taken-for-an-embarrassing-ride-32107

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
There you go. England did it 1981. Carey was right. Everyone shut up.

Samid

"Srikkanth was a restless, fidgety person who between balls in an over was in the habit of walking away from the crease, towards the square-leg umpire, humming slokas. But on his debut Test in 1981 against England in Mumbai, he nonchalantly strolled outside the crease when the ball was still in play. John Emburey swooped on the ball and ran him out. The Englishmen were laughing at the manna from Heaven they could not have expected even in schools cricket. The Indian camp would have been understandably livid. And Srikkanth had to walk back in utter embarrassment after getting out in the most ridiculous fashion in a Test match."

https://www.cricketcountry.com/arti...anth-was-taken-for-an-embarrassing-ride-32107
Completely different situation. That was a run out. The one today was a stumping.

Fully Fledged

They would. I would have thought better of Emburey.

Dan_F

It was an irrelevant series with non-existing crowds right before the World Cup. He said himself he didn't want to do it that early on tour, implying he would consider doing it in an important game later.

Besides we can't talk about that because, to quote @Dan_F, that was a "completely different situation".
Damn right. What’s with all these discussions on an internet discussion board.

But yes. Unless the example is running out a batter who thought the over was done, while looking at the umpire who had also looked away, I’d say it’s pointless comparing.

SirMattBugsby

Completely different situation. That was a run out. The one today was a stumping.
Tbh I haven't seen the Srikkanth one, just remembered him talking about it once. The common factor in both would be the batsman assuming the ball is dead, and wrongly so?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
My first reaction watching it live was: Bairstow, where the feck are you strolling?! He can feel a bit hard done by, but his carelessness played a role as well. Carey (no pun intended) used the ball as soon as he received it, to dislodge the stumps. Isn't that the description of a regular stumping?

The fact that a batsman can consider a ball to be dead when the wicketkeeper has almost instantly thrown the ball, is careless. Again, maybe feel a bit hard done by, but he's not faultless and cannot blame the opposition for exploiting it. The fact that they've seen it before, puts it even more on him.
Oh absolutely, but it’s still wrong for the captain not to have withdrawn the appeal. This was not a Mankad. There’s no advantage being gained by Bairstow, the games was dead at that moment and it’s certainly against what all professionals would consider etiquette. It was the last ball of the over and the umpire was even away from the action to give the bowler his cap back. Unfortunately, it’s not a great look on the Australians.
The reaction of some of the MCC members was completely out of order and I hope the MCC throw the book at the culprits.

Still, doesn’t take anything away from the aussies who have been generally superb in both games. And England have generally batted well despite the criticism they’ve been getting, the Australians really had to work extremely hard in both matches. Australia’s bowling being the difference so far, those spells from Starc & Cummings yesterday are as good as it gets.
But this test series isn’t over yet. Both games were really close.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think emburey only did it because he knew australia would eventually ruin cricket any way.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Love the needle there should now be for the rest of the series.

Feck the moral high ground, let's have full-on shithouse cricket with acts of wanton mankaddery every couple of overs. :drool:

Witchking

England football and England cricket. Both have the worst fans.

Calling lords the home of cricket and then allowing some losers to rile up the opponents.

Classless to the core.

So classless that they make it easier for neutral fans to look favorably towards the Aussies.

MCC crying about their own rules. Can't be more funnier. Thank you England. :lol:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

Calling lords the home of cricket and then allowing some losers to rile up the opponents.

Classless to the core.

So classless that they make it easier for neutral fans to look favorably towards the Aussies.

MCC crying about their own rules. Can't be more funnier. Thank you England. :lol:
What a sweet message to post in the fan forum of an English club

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
We're the second worst behind the Indian fans. I'd argue distantly second, personally. As bad as the Aussies are, they haven't got the numbers to be in the conversation.

SirMattBugsby

Still, doesn’t take anything away from the aussies who have been generally superb in both games. And England have generally batted well despite the criticism they’ve been getting, the Australians really had to work extremely hard in both matches. Australia’s bowling being the difference so far, those spells from Starc & Cummings yesterday are as good as it gets.
But this test series isn’t over yet. Both games were really close.
Aussies have been playing Catenaccio cricket this series.

It's very interesting to watch because I've always associated them with an aggressive, dominating game mixed with sledging. In this series though, they've always given the impression of a team on the backfoot (especially noticeable in their defensive field placements) which cunningly counter-punches. Whether that's the result of being the away team or Cummins' captaincy, don't know..

Cloud7

Classless to the core.

As a neutral I thought it was brilliant how much the Aussies got booed. I love seeing fire like that in a match.

Fully Fledged

It's very interesting to watch because I've always associated them with an aggressive, dominating game mixed with sledging. In this series though, they've always given the impression of a team on the backfoot (especially noticeable in their defensive field placements) which cunningly counter-punches. Whether that's the result of being the away team or Cummins' captaincy, don't know..
I think they believe they've come up with a riposte to Bazball. You don't need to get England out. Just wait for them to make a mistake.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead

They’ve just banked on Bazball running out of steam and trying to stem the bleeding in the interim. They know they have a batting order that should be able to get as many, if not a few more, runs on the same pitch and that their bowling attack is better suited to getting something out of flat pitches. It’s smart when you win but they’ve flown awfully close to galaxy braining themselves a few times too.

Witchking

As a neutral I thought it was brilliant how much the Aussies got booed. I love seeing fire like that in a match.
Not by members of the MCC who want the world to act like gentlemen when they visit England but will act like sore losers. There was a lot of criticism for Ganguly about his celebration in 2002, when Flintoff did the same in Mumbai.

Glad England lost. Them losing like this makes it even more sweeter.

Cloud7

Not by members of the MCC who want the world to act like gentlemen when they visit England but will act like sore losers. There was a lot of criticism for Ganguly about his celebration in 2002, when Flintoff did the same in Mumbai.

Glad England lost. Them losing like this makes it even more sweeter.
Dude are you really crying about something that happened 20 years ago :lol:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

Classless to the core.

Neutral fans :lol: :lol: :lol:

Witchking

Dude are you really crying about something that happened 20 years ago :lol:
Not crying, but you don't forget. If you notice I am enjoying and laughing at the joke that the England team is.

From Broad telling Carey that he would only be remembered for that moment forgetting that he got whacked for 6 sixes which is all he is remembered for.

To Mr hypothetical Stokes saying he wouldn't want to win a match this way. It's all just too funny. :D

Bring on the 3rd test!

jungledrums

Cheats. Scum. Within the rules but feck them.
Very disappointed. No advantage was attampted.
He literally marched out of his crease the second the ball flew past him. Whether Carey was up at the stumps or further away, the dismissal was valid. Lose with grace, Jesus Christ. Absolutely embarrassing posts in here.