English cricket thread

LDUred

Brook played superbly but that was a baffling, nothing shot. Not sure what he was trying to do.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
You just know if that was England the two guys would have ran in to each other and dropped it :lol:

G-manc

He was in the form of his life before his injury, easily England's best batter. The wicket keeping may be adding pressure on him.
Yeah, some people have pretty short memories. He lost all momentum with his injury and has probably not played enough to not be a risk in a series as big as the Ashes. He has been poor though, there’s no escaping that.

Foakes hasn’t done much wrong for England but he’s not that aggressive with his batting which may be a contributing factor to not getting picked.

it might not be long before the selectors start looking at someone like Jamie Smith or the other Ollie Robinson.

Agent Red

There's no way they drop Bairstow, he was England's best batsmen before his injury so can't see Foakes getting back in unless they go with 4 bowlers.
I think you’re right they won’t do it, but I think they should now. For me this was the test to see if Bairstow picked things up - home ground, lots of backing after the incident in the last match, but he’s underperformed again so I’d be surprised if he turns back into the YJB of last summer in the remaining two games.

TheGame

Yeah, some people have pretty short memories. He lost all momentum with his injury and has probably not played enough to not be a risk in a series as big as the Ashes. He has been poor though, there’s no escaping that.

Foakes hasn’t done much wrong for England but he’s not that aggressive with his batting which may be a contributing factor to not getting picked.

it might not be long before the selectors start looking at someone like Jamie Smith or the other Ollie Robinson.
The problem is Stokes not bowling, its added pressure to play another bowler/all rounder and not put too much pressure on Root to bowl.

Dan_F

You just know if that was England the two guys would have ran in to each other and dropped it :lol:
Unless it was JB, who would have left it to the guy who had a helmet on with the ball going over his head.

Agent Red

Haven’t forgotten how good he was, overall I’m a big fan of his. But you have to take the circumstances as they are, and whether it’s because of the injury or not he’s really struggled in this series. I’m not saying he shouldn’t be in the England side in general, just maybe not in the next game of this series.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Hypothetical:

If you were the bowling captain at the start of the innings, and you could buy an additional fielder at the cost of runs, how many runs would you give away for that extra fielder?

TheGame

I think you’re right they won’t do it, but I think they should now. For me this was the test to see if Bairstow picked things up - home ground, lots of backing after the incident in the last match, but he’s underperformed again so I’d be surprised if he turns back into the YJB of last summer in the remaining two games.
I think they are committed to the players and Stokes's injury has caused problems with selection. Foakes is batting well at county level this season though.

iKnowNothing

I think the Aussies need to look at Cummins the captain. I’m not sure if he got the tactics correct today and in the second half of the first innings. English brain farts are why the series is 2-1 in Aussies favor.

edit- of course not midway in the Ashes, but longer term, they’ve got to be looking at captaincy material in the team.

TheGame

I think the Aussies need to look at Cummins the captain. I’m not sure if he got the tactics correct today and in the second half of the first innings. English brain farts are why the series is 2-1 in Aussies favor.

edit- of course not midway in the Ashes, but longer term, they’ve got to be looking at captaincy material in the team.
They've literally just won the WTC, they won't be changing captains anytime soon unless he resigns.

LDUred

Get in there!!!!

Fitting that Woakes and Wood were there at the end.

rajds89

I thought it was over with the loss of Ben Stokes but get in, a great win. Fair play Brook, Woakes and Wood! Ashes on!

Last edited:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Ashes deserves to be 2-1 minimum. Well played England.

Wood superb, Woakes arguably as good. Great knock Brook today.

Phew.