English cricket thread

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
''We're not focussed on winning''. Surely English supporters will tire of hearing this tripe before too long. It's the Ashes. You're representing your country. Of course it's about winning!!!

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
''We're not focussed on winning''. Surely English supporters will tire of hearing this tripe before too long. It's the Ashes. Of course it's about winning!!!

I really wouldn't take it to seriously.

Agent Red

''We're not focussed on winning''. Surely English supporters will tire of hearing this tripe before too long. It's the Ashes. You're representing your country. Of course it's about winning!!!

Yeah I don’t love it personally, but it seems to be this mantra they need to tell themselves in order to perform to the level they do (which has been mixed in this series, but overall the turnaround in the last 18 months has been huge) so I just see it as a kind of internal management technique they need to use to get the best out of the current squad, rather than a real thing.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

'We're not focussed on winning, it was always about saving Test cricket!' he says after losing the Ashes.

IRN-BRUno

Brook's actual quote (talking about Stokes' words after the game):
"It was a great speech to be honest. He was just saying, it's not about all the trophies, it's about making sure everybody's enjoying watching cricket and I feel like we're going to be a team to be remembered. I think we're bringing different crowds coming to watch the game, more people are getting into Test cricket and we're almost trying to get it back alive again. I think we've done a decent job of that over the last 12 months and it's been exciting to watch and it's definitely been exciting to play."

It's just a way of taking pressure off themselves, I don't see the issue with it and it's clearly worked over the last year or so. If young players like Brook are happy to keep playing test cricket because the whole group prioritises having fun then great, because it's only a matter of time before they have to choose between that and franchises.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I see Stokes called Anderson the goat, again. I mean, come on! Great, great bowler but he's not even the best english seamer of all time!

Skills

Snitch
I see Stokes called Anderson the goat, again. I mean, come on! Great, great bowler but he's not even the best english seamer of all time!
It's a joke. He's not even the best of his era. That's Steyn by miles.

When they're finished both Rabada and Cummins will be ahead of Anderson too.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Aussie media is terrible picking up random quotes and then turning them around. Can’t blame them when we live in a world where loads of people including some in this thread would just believe anything that’s said

Dan_F

Aussie media is terrible picking up random quotes and then turning them around. Can’t blame them when we live in a world where loads of people including some in this thread would just believe anything that’s said
I read one this morning from Australia where they were complaining (along with the 700 people commenting) that the pitch isn’t going to be kept as green as it is 48 hours out.

How times have changed eh. Aussies moaning that the pitches aren’t green enough over here.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead

Not going to get my hopes up about Archer, he needs a year of county/franchise cricket first.

Stokes getting knee surgery would be massive for this team, the balance isn’t great when he can’t bowl.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Weather not looking too great over the next 5 days. Think this could be pretty disrupted again. Absolutely shocking few weeks of weather here. Hammering it down currently in the capital.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Weather not looking too great over the next 5 days. Think this could be pretty disrupted again. Absolutely shocking few weeks of weather here. Hammering it down currently in the capital.
BBC forecast is awful, met office looks like 4 and a half days play. I'll go with them for now.

berbasloth4

I’m kinda new to cricket, being Irish wasn’t brought up with it. Is not possible at all for days which been cancelled cause of rain to move back a day like in golf or play extra overs etc?

Dan_F

I’m kinda new to cricket, being Irish wasn’t brought up with it. Is not possible at all for days which been cancelled cause of rain to move back a day like in golf or play extra overs etc?
Probably been discussed to death in the last week, but I think the general consensus is that they need to find a way to be more flexible within the five days, such as starting earlier/playing later.

They had a reserve day for the recent test final, but the extra cost involved would make it non feasible for most, especially the teams that are already struggling financially.

I think most long term fans accept that generally it’s not that unusual to have a drawn test in an English summer. Just a shame for us it came in the fourth and not the first or second.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

No sane person would even have him in their all time XI, never mind having him as the GOAT.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Captain of a test side calls his mate and team mate the greatest....not really a surprise is it :lol:

He's hardly likely to say 'yeah, he's been decent but isn't the best ever'.

Some people need to stop being so triggered :lol:

Dan_F

I’m getting PTSD looking at weather radars again. Looks like a good time to bowl, even if the oval doesn’t usually have massive swing.

Weather seems to be coming in after 2pm but of course they won’t extend the morning session by half hour.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Slightly concerned the Aussies will feel they have more to play for here.

gajender

Slightly concerned the Aussies will feel they have more to play for here.
I don't believe England would lack any motivation for this one either , they definitely wouldn't want be first English team in 20 years to lose at home in Ashes and all the what if's and but's would be rendered moot if they lose this one as harsh it may sound .

They have as much riding on this as Aussie's hopefully weather doesn't play spoilsport in this one .

Skills

Snitch
Captain of a test side calls his mate and team mate the greatest....not really a surprise is it :lol:

He's hardly likely to say 'yeah, he's been decent but isn't the best ever'.

Some people need to stop being so triggered :lol:
There's a big difference between the greatest of all time and one of the greatest of all time. Nobody would bat an eyelid if he said the latter.

Anderson just isn't good enough to be the former.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
People will focus on the dropped catch by Smith but the focus should be on a team fielding first & having two slips & a gully in the 10th over. That’s a dolly for third slip

slyadams

People will focus on the dropped catch by Smith but the focus should be on a team fielding first & having two slips & a gully in the 10th over. That’s a dolly for third slip
It was a tougher chance than the commentators gave it credit for imo.