English Football Association Fined

matt10000

I never understand this.

English FA charged and fined £25,630 with three offences after the semi final.

1. Someone shined a laser pen
2. Fans booed the Danish national anthem
3. Fans set fireworks off in stadium

The English FA didn’t do any of the above!
How can the English FA be accoutable
for the behaviour of every individual in a 60,000 crowd?

I get that they should ensure there are security arrangements in place and therefore it could be argued that it wasn’t sufficient if people managed to get in with fireworks and a laser pen but realistically you would have to pretty much strip search 60,000 people to guarantee that something as small as a laser pen isn’t sneaked in.

And fans booing!?! How can the FA possibly be accountable for that! And besides, surely it is the right of the individual to boo at whatever they like there isn’t a law against booing ffs!

And how do they come up with £25,630 ?

Am I the only one that thinks It is bonkers!

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Unpopular opinion: England fans have experienced racism over the course of this tournament.

not my opinion

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's a warning for the FA and fans. If it continues they'll be punished increasingly, until fans are eventually barred from entering.

£25k is obviously pittance considering gate receipts and what not.

matt10000

It's a warning for the FA and fans. If it continues they'll be punished increasingly, until fans are eventually barred from entering.

So what are the FA supposed to do politely request that people don’t boo? You can’t exactly go around ejecting paying customers from a stadium for booing!

People are and should be able
to boo at whatever they like regardless of whether other people approve or not. It is called freedom of expression.

D4X73r

I now get why english fans are unpopular around europe.

The team always get's the fine for any behaviour for their fans. In Austria, you will read often about the clubs being fined for the things, their fans did and it's their thing if they are going to sanction them or don't do anything. E.g. Rapid Vienna is nearly always paying the price for their stupid fans and don't do anything.

And booing the opponents anthem is something different. I don't get it, why you are doing it and it's stupid to do so

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I now get why english fans are unpopular around europe.

The team always get's the fine for any behaviour for their fans. In Austria, you will read often about the clubs being fined for the things, their fans did and it's their thing if they are going to sanction them or don't do anything. E.g. Rapid Vienna is nearly always paying the price for their stupid fans and don't do anything.

And booing the opponents anthem is something different. I don't get it, why you are doing it and it's stupid to do so
They'll say it's "intimidation" but we all know it's just "bloody foreigners, innit."

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
So what are the FA supposed to do politely request that people don’t boo? You can’t exactly go around ejecting paying customers from a stadium for booing!

to boo at whatever they like regardless of whether other people approve or not. It is called freedom of expression.
The FA set the tone. They do a pitiful job. Many of our fans are garbage and are a reflection of what the FA tolerates.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
didn’t you have to buy tickets directly through uefa’s ticket portal? sounds like they can’t control their own fans.

Oranges038

They should definitely be made to play their next game behind closed doors.

matt10000

I ageee with all the comments saying fans are horrible and idiots and why boo etc……, that is not point I am making. I am saying you cant blame the English FA for behaviour of fans. Even if they sell the tickets they can’t interview everyone to find out if they ate an idiot or not, it is just unrealistic.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Wait, I was told here the laser was photoshopped.. Why would any English guy on here want to fake news it?

matt10000

Wait, I was told here the laser was photoshopped.. Why would any English guy on here want to fake news it?
What has that got to do with my question, it wasn’t me and I have never denied it happened or said that it or any orher behaviours is ok. I am just saying why blame and fine the Fa? Sureltynrhe individual should be arresred and take responsibility

djembatheking

I ageee with all the comments saying fans are horrible and idiots and why boo etc……, that is not point I am making. I am saying you cant blame the English FA for behaviour of fans. Even if they sell the tickets they can’t interview everyone to find out if they ate an idiot or not, it is just unrealistic.
Pretty unrealistic to eat a whole idiot.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You can't expect italian teams to control their ultras making racist comments.

This collective punishment is meant so that fans police each other. Failing to do so would be detrimental for the team.

It's always like that. Let's not play victim here.

matt10000

You can't expect italian teams to control their ultras making racist comments.

This collective punishment is meant so that fans police each other. Failing to do so would be detrimental for the team.

It's always like that. Let's not play victim here.
Im not playing victim mate, this is not about Wngland being picked on, J say the same for any FA or clib….I am saying that collective punishment is stupid. Whether it be English FA or foreign FAs, clubs etc can’t be held accoutable for every indivudual in a crowd of tens of thousands of people.

Yes, they need to have corrwct amount of policing and security, safety standards yes…….but imo can’t hold the
responsible for every individual.

Collective punishment is like saying if someone got murdered at a party the send everyone who was at the party to prison for life.

SirAnderson

Why is this even a discussion, it's not like there aren't regulations that address everything you pointed out. It's there for a reason, and it keeps everyone accountable in some way.

The more stupid and entitled the fans, the more the organization suffers. I think it's a fair trade.
Besides, it's not even a slap on the wrist most of these fines.
So yeah, freedom of expression and being an idiot in whatever way you see fit, but live with what that freedom results in just as freely.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
I never understand this.

English FA charged and fined £25,630 with three offences after the semi final.

1. Someone shined a laser pen
2. Fans booed the Danish national anthem
3. Fans set fireworks off in stadium

The English FA didn’t do any of the above!
How can the English FA be accoutable
for the behaviour of every individual in a 60,000 crowd?

I get that they should ensure there are security arrangements in place and therefore it could be argued that it wasn’t sufficient if people managed to get in with fireworks and a laser pen but realistically you would have to pretty much strip search 60,000 people to guarantee that something as small as a laser pen isn’t sneaked in.

And fans booing!?! How can the FA possibly be accountable for that! And besides, surely it is the right of the individual to boo at whatever they like there isn’t a law against booing ffs!

And how do they come up with £25,630 ?

Am I the only one that thinks It is bonkers!
Nothing new that a federation is punished for the behaviour of the fans. Mexico has been forced to play closed door games because of the crowd shouting "puto" when the goalie is about to kick the ball. The punishment is deserved in both cases IMO.

matt10000

Why is this even a discussion, it's not like there aren't regulations that address everything you pointed out. It's there for a reason, and it keeps everyone accountable in some way.

The more stupid and entitled the fans, the more the organization suffers. I think it's a fair trade.
Besides, it's not even a slap on the wrist most of these fines.
So yeah, freedom of expression and being an idiot in whatever way you see fit, but live with what that freedom results in just as freely.
It just seems pointless to me

There will always be a minority of idiots in every crowd of significant size just like there is a percentage of idiots in the general population.

How does punishing the event organisers going to stop it?

matt10000

Nothing new that a federation is punished for the behaviour of the fans. Mexico has been forced to play closed door games because of the crowd shouting "puto" when the goalie is about to kick the ball. The punishment is deserved in both cases IMO.
Not to me.

The fans who shouted it should be banned for life and if broken a law then prosecuted but what about the majority of well behaved Mexican fans?

Are we saying they are guilty for not self policing, organising themselves and taking theaw into their own hands??

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

As opposed to saying "well, countries tried to invade England!", that would be a start.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I'm sure I've heard other national anthems booed and their FAs not fined.

SirAnderson

It just seems pointless to me

There will always be a minority of idiots in every crowd of significant size just like there is a percentage of idiots in the general population.

How does punishing the event organisers going to stop it?
The organizations become more proactive in identify and banning such individuals. When you know you could be banned for life for doing 1 stupid thing, it can discourage you from doing it, I'd think.
Sure, boo the oppositions national anthem is freedom of express, but it's against the spirit of the game, just like you free to wear what you want, but if you go to Wimbledon, there is a expectation in dress.
If handful of "fans" continue to persist in unsportsmanlike behavior, they should eventually be deprived of experiencing the game that is held by the majority in high regard.

If you have better ways of combating it, would love to hear it, but I can definitely say ignoring it and saying it will always be there so why should the organization have to deal with it, is definitely not the answer that's for sure.

AaronRedDevil

Didn't an English fan punch a dannish fan in front of his kid? Read that somewhere. Only saw the headline.

SirAnderson

It's not about law only also, it's about decency.

If I ever have the chance to attend a match, I don't want to be in a crowd that don't know how to respect opposition players and teammates, and have to be subjected to hearing their sorry excuse for being idiots as their freedom of expression.
I'm probably very naive and when drinking and alcohol gets involved that is bound to happen, but if you don't draw a line somewhere, then eventually anything goes.
Buck has to stop somewhere.

Reminds me actually of school days.
The clowns caught up to no good, the entire class sometimes got detention. Sufficed to say they stopped doing it when they got the wrath of everyone else for their behavior.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Im not playing victim mate, this is not about Wngland being picked on, J say the same for any FA or clib….I am saying that collective punishment is stupid. Whether it be English FA or foreign FAs, clubs etc can’t be held accoutable for every indivudual in a crowd of tens of thousands of people.

Yes, they need to have corrwct amount of policing and security, safety standards yes…….but imo can’t hold the
responsible for every individual.

Collective punishment is like saying if someone got murdered at a party the send everyone who was at the party to prison for life.
Truth. Collective punishment is always wrong

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I think they should all prove negative PCR test or vaccinations. After that sit an hour examination by psychologists to determine what type of person they are.

It's the only way

Hester_manc

Didn't an English fan punch a dannish fan in front of his kid? Read that somewhere. Only saw the headline.
They punched a father where his son had to flee. Another family was also assaulted. Here, a 9-year-old girl was threatened by a bunch of English fans. Several Danish fans talk about assaults after the match.

According to danish Tv2 News

Last edited:

Trequarista10

You can express yourself whatever way you choose if you're at home watching on TV. If you're in a pub and are express yourself in a way others find offensive, the landlord can ask you to leave. If you're at an event hosted by UEFA, UEFA can impose whatever standards of behaviour they want. Just as they have done with other behaviours in the past (racist chants).

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a ticket to an international competition, so nobody's freedom of expression is being infringed. Just as it wouldn't be if you were asked to leave a library if you were screaming and shouting, or asked to leave a place of worship if you went in wearing devil horns and and whispering 'Hail Satan' in people's ears, or sacked from your job if you started expressing your nudity to your colleagues.

Trequarista10

Yeah also you would hope that it would give fans food for thought and prompt them to reconsider. Racist chanting took decades to (largely) stamp out but a persistent message from clubs and authorities has worked.

25k may be a pittance in the football industry, but you know it won't be coming out of the pockets of execs or suits, nor the players. It'll be skimmed off the budget for grassroots football, where £25k could go quite a long way. Haha, I went to a match and booed a national anthem, now there's less money for summer coaching events for disadvantaged children!! The FA need to up their efforts to discourage and shame this behaviour.