English people who want England to fail

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Let me prefix this by saying United have a worldwide fanbase, so of course a sizeable section of this forum is going to be non-English. If you’re non-English & you want England to lose that’s totally fine, I can understand that.

However, there’s also a surprising amount of English people on here & online in general actually rooting against the national team. So I have one question. Why?

Reveal yourselves!:mad:

Kaos

Let me prefix this by saying United have a worldwide fanbase, so of course a sizeable section of this forum is going to be non-English. If you’re non-English & you want England to lose that’s totally fine, I can understand that.

However, there’s also a surprising amount of English people on here & online in general actually rooting against the national team. So I one question. Why?

From a United perspective I'm guessing there was a bitter taste left after the treatment of Becks after 98 and Ronaldo after 2006, the renditions of "stand up if you hate Man United" at some England games, and the culture of some English fans, especially the anti-social hooligans that give the English a bad name abroad.

Not saying I necessarily agree with that stance, but playing devil's advocate here. You shouldn't be forced into blind support for your country, especially not in Football of all things. :lol:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

However, there’s also a surprising amount of English people on here & online in general actually rooting against the national team. So I have one question. Why?

Its long standing for some, the amount of times the FA has bent Utd over, greased us up and gone in hard translates to thinking feck them and their team. Like Rio getting a longer ban for missing a test than a player who tested positive and pushing us into the world club cup then hanging us out to dry over it with the media.

sad, lonely men in their bedrooms at their parents house.

they fecking hate everything.

their idea of a good time is having a wank with their tears.

DeviIrua

English nationalism is the most ugly and brutally violent form of nationalism. It spawned the most evil empire in this planets history. White suoremacy and global racism are today the inheritance of English nationalism and its imperialist expression and drive to murderous domination. The Nazi ideology admired and learned so much from English nationalism which is why the revered the Brutish ( meant to be Brutish, but I'll leave it as water apt) empire.
Many people are wary of this and rightfully so.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

They'd rather hate than have a good time with others
Why though? Im not gonna act like I’m “Mr England” like I’ll be honest I barely follow the qualifiers & don’t even watch the friendlies, but we’re in a tournament final for the first time in over half a century. Why would you be against that?

“club before country” and that yeah cool but why even compare it? They are never gonna play each other so why does it matter?

slored1

Not English but this sounds so stupid to me. Why cheer against your countrymen?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
What it comes down to is someone has to do it. They are doing it so you don't have to and in a way that's even more patriotic than the guys simply supporting England.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why though? Im not gonna act like I’m “Mr England” like I’ll be honest I barely follow the qualifiers & don’t even watch the friendlies, but we’re in a tournament final for the first time in over half a century. Why would you be against that?

“club before country” and that yeah cool but why even compare it? They are never gonna play each other so why does it matter?
If Manchester Reds ever play England in a World Series final, where will your loyalties lie?

Danny

Its long standing for some, the amount of times the FA has bent Utd over, greased us up and gone in hard translates to thinking feck them and their team. Like Rio getting a longer ban for missing a test than a player who tested positive and pushing us into the world club cup then hanging us out to dry over it with the media.
FA as an organisation is separate from the actual England team, though? Especially now and there seems to be a clearer link between the England squad and fans.

Kopral Jono

They're really mostly Liverpool fans, with more than valid reasons to boot, though in my opinion actively wanting your own country to crash and burn is still a bit weird.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't want England to fail but I just don't have the passion for them I do for Chelsea.

I try but it's just not there. While i will watch on Sunday and hope they win, am I as hyped/nervous as I was for the UCL final a month and a bit ago? Not even close.

littlepeasoup

Don't get it. Even if football isn't your sport, surely you'd want your country to do well? Personally, I couldn't give a toss about rugby with it's stupid egg shaped monstrosity, but I always cheer them on if they're playing.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I get that. I don’t like the FA either. But don’t you think wanting England to fail to spite the FA would be like wanting United to fail to spite the glazers? You can support the team without supporting the idiots in charge.

GlasgowCeltic

Think some fans are still living in that late 2000s period of the Prem top four and the divisions it created within the team and support, the current players don't care about any of that shite

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

There are plenty of United fans on here that want United to fail.. usually to back up some belief of their own and see it justified. I expect its the same with England.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If it was purely a United thing... We have 2 players in the starting XI (only City have more) and we have four players in the squad (joint most with City)

If England win it'll be in no little part thanks to the contribution of United players.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
FA as an organisation is separate from the actual England team, though? Especially now and there seems to be a clearer link between the England squad and fans.
Not saying I agree with them, Im just explaining why they feel that way

Giggsy13

I think there was a time in England when hooliganism in which racism also followed or linked to it, would cause some visible minorities who are English to root against England. I think with the younger generation that’s changed where you have 2nd or 3rd generation Asians for example being born and raised in England rooting for them. That wasn’t necessarily the case before the 2000s.

ive asked this same question in few group chats & Boris Johnson’s name has come up twice. Imagine stopping your support for United because you don’t like Andy Burnham. Absolute nonsense :lol:

There’s a difference between not supporting/caring & actively wanting them to fail.
this has been going on a lot longer than the two years Boris has been PM, and long before he got involved With Brexit.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I get that. I don’t like the FA either. But don’t you think wanting England to fail to spite the FA would be like wanting United to fail to spite the glazers? You can support the team without supporting the idiots in charge.
A: Im welsh B: Id still want England to win as long as they arent playing Wales, Ill be english for the day sunday and cheering them on, but not everyone is the well adjusted, handsome, magnanimous wonderous human being that I am.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
There have been England teams/sides I've found it pretty difficult to get behind.

Unpleasant characters, unpleasant staff, unpleasant football, unpleasant press, culture, fans, etc....

I would always want them to win, but to varying levels of care. 2016 post-referendum was difficult to support to be honest.

However, this lot are brilliant, and a proper side with a proper manager leading them. I wouldn't say I'm a glory hunter, but I'm definitely not a through "thick-and-thin" as I am with Utd.

Long may the current lot last though.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

There are plenty of United fans on here that want United to fail.. usually to back up some belief of their own and see it justified. I expect its the same with England.
There’s a difference though. Not minding a defeat because it will lead to change which will benefit the club in the long run (Jose against Newcastle comes to mind) is completely different to this. This is the equivalent to wanting United to lose a champions league final. Even the most hardcore “Ole out” person wouldn’t do that.

Pearl's a minger

Although i don't have the same thoughts on things, i can see why people who spend 48 weeks of the year hating (for instance everything Liverpool,Leeds,City) etc should find it a little hypocritical to suddenly start supporting the players of said teams just because they are wearing a different shirt. Personally, i'll always get behind my country but if the worse happens and if it does go tits up, hopefully it wont be a utd player being scapegoated. I'd rather that honour goes to a rival teams player

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m indifferent. And many others are also indifferent I suspect. Just yesterday the caf was all ‘feck international football, it should all be scrapped, club>country’ etc, and if you are indifferent, you may well not so readily cheer on a team full of Dippers, Blues and even a Leeds player.

I’m English born and raised but a dual national, and England has never gotten my heart racing like my other country, perhaps due to the underdog factor. I just want the United players to do well.

El Zoido

Cause too many England fans are insufferable arseholes. I don’t want England to lose, but if it means I won’t have to hear drunk cretins singing “it’s coming home” for another year and a half, it’ll be the silverest of silver linings.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Any examples of any posts from English people on here who are hoping for England to lose on Sunday?

I suspect you’re imagining something that doesn’t exist.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
English nationalism is the most ugly and brutally violent form of nationalism. It spawned the most evil empire in this planets history. White suoremacy and global racism are today the inheritance of English nationalism and its imperialist expression and drive to murderous domination. The Nazi ideology admired and learned so much from English nationalism which is why the revered the Brutish ( meant to be Brutish, but I'll leave it as water apt) empire.
Absolute horseshit, considering who you mentioned. Was the British empire worse than the Belgians in the Congo? Was it worse than the Romans, the Assyrians (that had pyramids of skulls after massacreing whole cities), the huns, the Russians, the Soviet union. And the Nazis revered the British so much they risked going to war and challenging the British Empire for dominance! You clearly just hate the English and haven't a clue about our history or any history in general.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
England support was seen as small time. Something for the mouth breathers of Stoke and Burnley to cling to.

Once more than England World Champions twice.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Cause too many England fans are insufferable arseholes. I don’t want England to lose, but if it means I won’t have to hear drunk cretins singing “it’s coming home” for another year and a half, it’ll be the silverest of silver linings.
And other countries don't have as many insufferable arseholes? We've seen plenty of them over the last 24 hours. I saw them myself fighting police outside of Old Trafford during europa matches, as a steward. St Etienne fans if you want to know. Yet we never talk about continental hooliganism and ultra culture which is still a massive issue, we only ever talk about the English ones which have been massively curtailed for decades.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

What does any of this disputable ancient history have to do with the football team?

MU655

Cheer up. Some people are too obsessed with the past. You can bring up things like this for every country in history.