EPL media rights 2022/23: auction in late 2020

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Apparently the EPL media rights for 2022/23 will be auctioned later this year by The Premier League. Pre Covid, they were hoping for even larger revenues, with an expectation that digital platforms like Amazon etc would increase competitiveness and increase demand.

However, advertising revenue, which funds a broadcasters bid for rights are down by 35% globally since COVID-19 with majority of worlds biggest advertisers projecting to continue with reduced ad spending into 2021. Even once a vaccine is administered, I suspect it will take a few years before corporations return to pre COVID-19 levels of advertising spend.

So what will happen to the value of EPL media rights, and what is the knock on effects for clubs, most of whom are committed to pre COVID-19 player contract expenses etc?

While the next contract doesn’t start til 2022, broadcasters will act within current 2020 financial restrictions, and so one expects the total value to be dramatically reduced. Unless the PL can demonstrate that football attracts an even higher audience due to lockdown or social distance reducing leisure options. That may be even more true in international markets like USA and China.

Last edited:

TheThingThatShouldNotBe

Supports
Chelsea
Are fans going to accept a handful of games every weekend after having pretty much every game live on tv after the break? I was hoping that they would’ve announced the same deal for the coming season but I haven’t seen anything yet.

I’m hoping the new deal could lead to some big changes after Covid, let us watch every match ffs.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
They need to wake up and realise the potential of each club selling a virtual season ticket to every game to stream. Cut out the middle men or give them their own deal who cares but fans should be able to pay to watch every game. It's 2020.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Are fans going to accept a handful of games every weekend after having pretty much every game live on tv after the break? I was hoping that they would’ve announced the same deal for the coming season but I haven’t seen anything yet.

I’m hoping the new deal could lead to some big changes after Covid, let us watch every match ffs.
Richard Masters, CEO The Premier League said

'And eventually – and I’m not saying it will happen in the next cycle or when it will happen – but eventually the Premier League will move to a mix of direct consumer and media rights sales. It is impossible to say when that will be.'

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pretty sure the other day there was a football league deal signed where every championship league 1&2 game will be available online until at least 50% or so of crowds are let back in.

Would be unthinkable if all premier games aren't available as per the end of last season.

But now we've seen How good that is it'll be hard to hold off a permanent move to all games.

Great for armchair gangs. Rubbish for match goers as all the times would be mashed even more than currently.

Trophy Room

They need to wake up and realise the potential of each club selling a virtual season ticket to every game to stream. Cut out the middle men or give them their own deal who cares but fans should be able to pay to watch every game. It's 2020.
Exactly. Take ownership.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Pretty sure the other day there was a football league deal signed where every championship league 1&2 game will be available online until at least 50% or so of crowds are let back in.
Would be unthinkable if all premier games aren't available as per the end of last season.
But now we've seen How good that is it'll be hard to hold off a permanent move to all games.
Great for armchair gangs. Rubbish for match goers as all the times would be mashed even more than currently.
I agree that the enforced lockdown arrangements presented some unintended consequences ... it was great to have so many matches available ... would be interested to see the viewing figures vs normal times. They have created a new habit, and most of us loved it.

Same has happened in European football with the tournament style ending from 1/4 finals. It may mean less revenue for UEFA, but it is a much better viewing spectacle for the vast majority who are TV fans.

Bobade

It's crazy how they have said that all the games will not be televised in the upcoming season. So no fans will be in the stadiums and nor will the matches be shown ?

Expecting the PL to row back on that any day to be honest.