EPL Title race 2019/2020

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Probably not the thread for you if you think Liverpool have the title sewn up in... looks at calendar... early November.

After 10 games, looking at top 4, led by 2 teams that have legitimate claims to being the best in Europe right now.

GamesPlayed W D L GD Points

1 LIV 11 10 1 0 +16 31

2 MCI 11 8 1 2 +24 25

3 LEI 11 7 2 2 +19 23

4 CHE 11 7 2 2 +8 23
City travel to Anfield on Sunday. Victory has them 3 points behind Liverpool. A loss has Liverpool 9 points ahead. Think both teams would snatch your hand off for a draw. This fixture can go either way... City got blitzed here twice 2 seasons ago... And were a Mahrez penalty away from the win last season (they've got the better of Liverpool in the last 3 meetings between the clubs if ye count the Community shield). Liverpool don't have any significant injuries apart from Matip. City are missing Rodri, Silva the Elder, Sane, Zinchenko and Laporte.

It can be argued that City have the more difficult stretch in the PL over the next 2 months, but it remains to be seen how Liverpool deal with fixture congestion in December/January from the CWC.

Don't see Leicester or Chelsea having the quality needed to keep the pace with City and Liverpool but stranger things have happened. Plus they look good for finishing top 4.

Bookie's odds to win the title:
  • Liverpool 11/13.
  • Man City 15/13.
  • Chelsea 50/1.
  • Leicester 75/1
[Obligatory dig at Ole]

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
City have to win but they wont, I can see either a score draw or a late Liverpool win

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
We're injury hit in key areas but I still think we'll win this game. Liverpool haven't beaten us in the last three attempts.

Treble

City have to win but they wont, I can see either a score draw or a late Liverpool win
They don't have to win though. There are 26 games after that with Liverpool visiting Etihad in April.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
They don't have to win though. There are 26 games after that with Liverpool visiting Etihad in April.
I strongly feel City have to win both matches of the season against Liverpool if they are to remain champions.

charlenefan

They're 6 points off of Liverpool and the only side to beat Liverpool in almost a season and a half of PL football is City themselves that would suggest they most certainly do need to win. Sure they might be able to rely on favours from others but City's best chance of reeling them in is to do the business themselves

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We're injury hit in key areas but I still think we'll win this game. Liverpool haven't beaten us in the last three attempts.
You haven't won at Anfield since 2003.

I'd take a draw but we're pretty good at home so would hope that we can win it.

Treble

They're 6 points off of Liverpool and the only side to beat Liverpool in almost a season and a half of PL football is City themselves that would suggest they most certainly do need to win. Sure they might be able to rely on favours from others but City's best chance of reeling them in is to do the business themselves
They were 7 pts behind in early January and won the title. So, to say that they have to win at Anfield, because they are 6 pts adrift in November, is based on the presumption that Liverpool will do better in the remaining games than they did last season, and the latter is just that - a presumption. A lot of things might happen over the next 6 months.

Treble

I strongly feel City have to win both matches of the season against Liverpool if they are to remain champions.
If City manage to get 4 pts from both games with Liverpool, they will be in a good position to retain the title. They will need to win 3 pts more than Liverpool over the next 25 games, which is hardly a mammoth task.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If City manage to get 4 pts from both games with Liverpool, they will be in a good position to retain the title. They will need to win 3 pts more than Liverpool over the next 26 games, which is hardly a mammoth task.
Do you not think that City seem a bit more unpredictable this season? Against Southampton it took them until the 70th minute to have a shot on target. Both them and Wolves seemed to get some joy out of forcing City wide and making them cross it in.

I'm not saying that City won't win it because for me they're still the best team in the league, but I don't think they look like they have the same overwhelming strength about them compared to the last two seasons.

I don't think they'll get more than 95 points this year (which shows how ridiculously good their last two seasons have been).

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I have a bad feeling about this match. While our results have obviously been fantastic for some time, I feel our general play has been somewhat lacking for most of this season. And if City bring their a game, I can see us struggling. They have a few injuries, but even their back up players are great.

Very interesting to see how Guardiola and Klopp approach it. An argument could be made for any approach as a draw would keep City in it and Liverpool ahead with a nice cushion while at the same time City have an opportunity to gain three very important points and similarly Liverpool can position themselves even more firmly in the drivers seat with a win.

charlenefan

They were 7 pts behind in early January and won the title. So, to say that they have to win at Anfield, because they are 6 pts adrift in November, is based on the presumption that Liverpool will do better in the remaining games than they did last season, and the latter is just that - a presumption. A lot of things might happen over the next 6 months.
Well they're doing better in the games they've had thus far this season vs the same fixtures last season so I'd say my 'presumption' is based on pretty good evidence

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Do you not think that City seem a bit more unpredictable this season? Against Southampton it took them until the 70th minute to have a shot on target. Both them and Wolves seemed to get some joy out of forcing City wide and making them cross it in.

I'm not saying that City won't win it because for me they're still the best team in the league, but I don't think they look like they have the same overwhelming strength about them compared to the last two seasons.

I don't think they'll get more than 95 points this year (which shows how ridiculously good their last two seasons have been).
Shhhh, no one mention Southampton getting bashed 9-0, then have to face City twice straight after and still almost get a result. Unspoken. Shh.

Ban

Shhhh, no one mention Southampton getting bashed 9-0, then have to face City twice straight after and still almost get a result. Unspoken. Shh.
Yeah football, bloody hell eh? No 2 matches are alike.

CognitiveNeuro

Yes I have a feeling so too. It seems Guardiola have figured out how to play against Liverpool in recent times.
Liverpool have come back against a lot of teams in the end of games but it's just papering over how poor they've been recently especially against teams that are defending with a low block are good at restricting space.

I have a feeling City will score early and Liverpool get a late equalizer.

Treble

If you take only December and January from last season, you would come to the conclusion City are inconsistent, since they lost 4 from 10 games. Then they won 14 in a row. They are capable of having a long winning streak again.

Last edited:

Treble

Well they're doing better in the games they've had thus far this season vs the same fixtures last season so I'd say my 'presumption' is based on pretty good evidence
They've done better in 2 games compared to last season. If this constitutes pretty good evidence, OK, then you probably expect them to win 105 pts.

Josh 76

I have a bad feeling about this match. While our results have obviously been fantastic for some time, I feel our general play has been somewhat lacking for most of this season. And if City bring their a game, I can see us struggling. They have a few injuries, but even their back up players are great.

Very interesting to see how Guardiola and Klopp approach it. An argument could be made for any approach as a draw would keep City in it and Liverpool ahead with a nice cushion while at the same time City have an opportunity to gain three very important points and similarly Liverpool can position themselves even more firmly in the drivers seat with a win.
Come on mate, this is a poor City team compared to years gone by. Norwich and Wolves beat them easily and with all their injuries and your form at anfield, you lot should walk it. You are just trying to play it all down.

charlenefan

They've done better in 2 games compared to last season. If this constitutes pretty good evidence, OK, then you probably expect them to win 105 pts.
At this point I really don't understand why you're still arguing

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Come on mate, this is a poor City team compared to years gone by. Norwich and Wolves beat them easily and with all their injuries and your form at anfield, you lot should walk it. You are just trying to play it all down.
I know they have some injuries, but they are still a phenomenal team that could, if on song, beat anyone. And yeah, I am trying to play it all down a little:lol:, but City is one of the very best teams in the world - even without Silva and Laporte.