Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Ten Hag is so massively impressive. This team is just so perfectly in sync, so well aligned and prepared.. Ofcourse Ajax has a lot of quality for Dutch standards at the moment, but they way they are dominating is so impressive.. Only he would see a feasible option in Steven Berghuis at #8 and its beautifull...

NYAS

Ten Hag is so massively impressive. This team is just so perfectly in sync, so well aligned and prepared.. Ofcourse Ajax has a lot of quality for Dutch standards at the moment, but they way they are dominating is so impressive.. Only he would see a feasible option in Steven Berghuis at #8 and its beautifull...
I don’t buy the whole “Eredivisie is too weak” thing. If it was a legitimate point then what ETH is doing goals-wise (scoring and conceding) would have been done multiple times by multiple Ajax managers in past years. It only comes up because people who don’t like him are hit with the “UCL performances” argument and desperately try to find something else to downplay his quality.

I don’t mean this towards you by the way, I think you should ignore all the caveats and just enjoy having such a top head coach!

CM

His record in the champions league is more noteworthy than in the league. The Dutch league isn’t that impressive. I can’t recall a team other than Ajax doing well in the champions league recently, so you know the competition is poor in the league. It will be interesting to see how well he does again this season. I believe his best season in the champions league was going to the semi final, where he was knocked out by spurs. That was a great campaign by them and I think this year they might do better.
They won 6 from 6 in the groups this season. That in itself is an impressive feat as very few teams have managed that before, but Haller is also the topscorer in the Champions League with 10(!) goals.

When a manager can consistently get a team like Ajax competing at that level in Europe the signs are very promising.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m so desperate for him to be our next Manager. It feels inevitable that he already has an agreement with City and we will get Poch. If that’s the case, following the last few years and the bullshit that has gone on I’m going to find it very very difficult to continue following United.

BorisManUtd

Honestly i just want him to stay at Ajax as much as is possible.. we are living in a dreamland at the moment..
What are your expectations in knockout stages of CL? You play Benfica in round of 16, should progress. Is this team better than the one from 2019?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Doesn't work like this, no dynasty remains without proper replacement. See Moyes, Kovac, Lopetegui etc.
I am not sure how Kovac fits that list? It's not like Bayern had any manager dynasty in a long long time.

Even if you see Pep's time there as a dynasty (and I wouldn't call it that, it was just three years) he was the fourth manager to follow him - after Ancelotti, Sagnol (very short caretaker job) and Heynckes (a longer caretaker time).

danigl

I am not sure how Kovac fits that list? It's not like Bayern had any manager dynasty in a long long time.

Even if you see Pep's time there as a dynasty (and I wouldn't call it that, it was just three years) he was the fourth manager to follow him - after Ancelotti, Sagnol (very short caretaker job) and Heynckes (a longer caretaker time).
Three years? Pep came in 2016, it'll be 6 years in the summer.

NYAS

I’m so desperate for him to be our next Manager. It feels inevitable that he already has an agreement with City and we will get Poch. If that’s the case, following the last few years and the bullshit that has gone on I’m going to find it very very difficult to continue following United.
Agreed. We could in some ways put the last 9 years down to a classic case of a huge organisation reeling from the departure of the most successful person in its history, and all the incompetence that comes with it. But if we pass on Ten Hag that would definitively show that we have learned nothing from the trials and tribulations of the post-Fergie years. And that would plunge me into a whole other level of indifference when it comes to the club.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We will mess this up and end up with Poch. I have already made peace with it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Essentially with a free run at him in the summer, you'd HAVE TO BE STUPID to not consider him your number 1 target if you're serious about being a top team.

No doubt though we will rescue Poch from his unhappy fairytale at PSG, then sack him in 2 years once the inevitable cycle starts again.

I can only hope Rangnick has started training the team in the 4-3-3 formation so they'll be semi ready for when ETH comes in.

gajender

Essentially with a free run at him in the summer, you'd HAVE TO BE STUPID to not consider him your number 1 target if you're serious about being a top team.

No doubt though we will rescue Poch from his unhappy fairytale at PSG, then sack him in 2 years once the inevitable cycle starts again.

I can only hope Rangnick has started training the team in the 4-3-3 formation so they'll be semi ready for when ETH comes in.
Do Ajax even play 433 under ETH , I believe they play 4231 mostly If I am not mistaken.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Do Ajax even play 433 under ETH , I believe they play 4231 mostly If I am not mistaken.
Formation wise it looks like a 4-3-3 but I haven't watched them live since the last CL games.

laughtersassassin

Really hope we take the risk on him.
Managerial appointments are always a coin toss to a certain extent and I Ten Haag as higher potential.

Maybe I'm wrong but got no go with your gut.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Ajax wingers are proper attackers with Tadic and Antony and we play without a double pivot in midfield. So 443..

In 18/19 it looked more like a 4231 with Ziyech on one wing and and a double pivot with Schone and Frenkie.

Ten Hag is not bound to a system. He wants to play attacking football and looks for harmony/balance in the team and connections between players.. A formation doesnt need a numbered label.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not sure how trust worthy the rumours are but if Richard Arnold is indeed going to go with Ralf's recommendation to get ETH then the club need to move heaven and earth to get him this summer.

We have heard previously that Joel Glazer and Fergie want Poch.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Ajax wingers are proper attackers with Tadic and Antony and we play without a double pivot in midfield. So 443..

In 18/19 it looked more like a 4231 with Ziyech on one wing and and a double pivot with Schone and Frenkie.

Ten Hag is not bound to a system. He wants to play attacking football and looks for harmony/balance in the team and connections between players.. A formation doesnt need a numbered label.
443?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
When will we announce the new manager? Knowing our club probably a couple of weeks before the season starts. We’re run by absolute clowns. The board should be talking to candidates and making sure the person we want is the right person and wants to be here and then announce it as soon as the season finishes but we all know that won’t happen. We will be interviewing all the way through the summer which means less time spent on transfers.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
When will we announce the new manager? Knowing our club probably a couple of weeks before the season starts. We’re run by absolute clowns. The board should be talking to candidates and making sure the person we want is the right person and wants to be here and then announce it as soon as the season finishes but we all know that won’t happen. We will be interviewing all the way through the summer which means less time spent on transfers.
The day before the season starts

Manchester United are delighted to announce the appointment of Chris Armas as permanent manager.

daveskimufc

Ajax have conceded 5 goals in 22 eredivisie matches this season. FIVE!!!
Maybe he can get a tune out of our lot

VivaRonaldo85

The managerial appointment is so critical. Look what pep, klopp & Tuchel have done at their clubs. We have to get this right. I would much rather go for this guy who I feel could elevate us to the other top club levels. I know what pochettino is and it doesn’t excite me whatsoever.

Varun1

It's likely to be a manager that's in a job already, so why should we announce it months in advance and unsettle the other team. It's fine having discussions in the background, identify targets etc and keeping it confidential, but it's a shit move to unsettle the other team, especially if it's Ajax who have always been gracious and to VDS who has a connection with the club.

NYAS

Those stats today…talk about control. Can’t wait until we appoint him. Our very own bald football hipster.
Why are you so convinced it’s going to happen?

I need some feel good vibes. I want to hear it. :drool:

bosskeano

If United go in this summer to buy him out of his contract, City are fvcked as they won't move on from Pep. Which means probably Luis Enrique would take over summer of 23.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Arnold will become instant fan favourite if he goes for ETH. Story is from trash papers but i am not aware if the journalist in question is decent or not.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
As many times as reporters have asked him about Man Utd. He and his agent are aware, now the board has to finish the deal.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Preach!
Surely agree all this disappointment post SAF, we deserve some “luck” and we’ll get ETH? I mean, surely!? FFS.

I can’t bring myself to remotely try and understand how we’ve been this incompetent.

FujiVice

Arnold, Fletcher, Rangrick, Van Der Sar and Ten Hag is the way to go. We need a team, not a manager and the board having two seperate ideas.