Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Ajax seem to be in a rather tighter race for the league than they should be.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's won an impressive array of domestic trophies in Germany and France, the French league twice, the champions league, the super cup and club world cup. He's definitely among the most qualified out of all our candidates, and this is coming from someone who wants Ten Hag.

And let's be honest, our players don't want Poch because he garners respect based on his track record (its abysmal, he's a serial bottler), its because they think they'll be getting a cushy ride.
This is totally baseless to be fair. And there is also nothing that indicates that Pochettino would come and let players take it easy.

It’s far more likely that our players respect the work of Pochettino who did a remarkable job right before their eyes in this league and they also know a number of players he has coached (one of whom plays here). Also just as likely that they are not terrified if Ten Hag at all, far more likely they look at him and think ‘who the feck are you?’ - I’m sure they are not all internet geeks who study YouTube tactics videos and think he is as amazing as most online nerds do. In their world - he’s probably just an Ajax manager.

For the record, Ten Hag would be my preferred choice, but probably for reasons that players are less concerned with than us.

L1nk

Not trying to excuse them but they've only lost 3 matches in the league all season, not really their fault if PSV is also having a great season. For what it's worth Ajax have a goal difference of +34

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
While true that is not their fault. Ajax have a similar dominance financially in the Netherlands as PSG have in France. Ajax get 2.42 points per game, PSG 2.32 so far. The race is tight because PSV has an exceptional season too, getting 2.35 ppg. Ajax did what they could to stop them (winning 5-0 and 2-1), so as long as they win the league the tight race isn't an argument against them/their manager.

DOTA

Not trying to excuse them but they've only lost 3 matches in the league all season, not really their fault if PSV is also having a great season. For what it's worth Ajax have a goal difference of +34
Isn't it 66? Which is sorta my point, they've got the best attack and best defence by a good margin but they've still dropped points enough times for PSV to keep up. It suggests they've been sloppy at times.

DOTA

While true that is not their fault. Ajax have a similar dominance financially in the Netherlands as PSG have in France. Ajax get 2.42 points per game, PSG 2.32 so far. The race is tight because PSV has an exceptional season too, getting 2.35 ppg. Ajax did what they could to stop them (winning 5-0 and 2-1), so as long as they win the league the tight race isn't an argument against them/their manager.
I'd agree with that.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Yeah that's why the whole PSG is walking the league under Pochettino isn't a good argument for me. Both Ajax and PSV would be ahead of PSG if you line their games up and still PSG somehow is 15 points ahead. Just shows that there is no strong 2nd team in France atm.
Jardim's Monaco would beat Pochettino's PSG easily imo.

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
On the contrary I'd have hope that he'd be willing to announce his departure earlier than the season's end so we can wrap this up. I'm really, really scared its gonna be Poch.
My thoughts exactly.

United in sin

He's won an impressive array of domestic trophies in Germany and France, the French league twice, the champions league, the super cup and club world cup. He's definitely among the most qualified out of all our candidates, and this is coming from someone who wants Ten Hag.

And let's be honest, our players don't want Poch because he garners respect based on his track record (its abysmal, he's a serial bottler), its because they think they'll be getting a cushy ride.
You really need to look more into Pochettino because it's clear you know nothing about how he operates if you really believe the last paragraph

Strootman's Finger

If Ajax lost to Benfica today - what would people think of him?

Any changes of impression?
Very impressive over the last 5 years, with one team built and lost and another built, with success in both Europe and domestically, but yeah, sure, one game will entirely change my opinion.

Polar

Eredivisie is a backyard league. Union Saint-Gilloise in Belgium is also dominating the league, but I suppose we don’t go for their manager. Bodø Glimt (Norway) as well. Maybe we should go for Knutsen :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If Ajax lost to Benfica today - what would people think of him?

Any changes of impression?
Nah.

We should be judging manager on their body of work, not just their most recent results. Especially in the case of knockout tournaments. The PSG loss to Madrid didn't particularly change my opinion of Poch either.

In fact even if we were focusing in on Ajax's results this season, losing the league would be more of a negative to my mind than getting knocked out of the CL would be.

DOTA

Nah.

We should be judging manager on their body of work, not just their most recent results. Especially in the case of knockout tournaments. The PSG loss to Madrid didn't particularly change my opinion of Poch either.

In fact even if we were focusing in on Ajax's results this season, losing the league would be more of a negative to my mind than getting knocked out of the CL would be.
Unless they get embarrassed by Benfica, which seems unlikely, I agree.

They also have the domestic cup final against PSV, I think? So they could really damage his stock. Alternatively, he could do a domestic double despite very good opposition, which I think would be pretty impressive.

Dolf

When asked if he is going to play more defensively against Benfica:

“No. It’s about playing our own style”

:drool:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They've played a very good first half but haven't scored according to reports.

Caesar2290

They've played a very good first half but haven't scored according to reports.

I'm also watching this match and I can tell you that Ajax completely dominated the match. Benfica camped out in their 18 yard box for 85% of the match, not because they want to, but because Ajax has pinned them down and don't give them even a second of a breather. If it weren't for their forwards overthinking and trying to pass it into the goal, then they would have been 2-3 up by now. Very very good performance.

One thing that stood out for me was their ability to immediately regain possession. It's like 50/50 balls don't exist for Ajax. Every time there is a contested ball, Ajax always come out on top.

Also I don't understand how a team made of midgets can win so many aerial duels against opponents who are taller than they are. Every time there is a ball in the air(and there have been plenty) they always seem to win them.

Let's see what the 2nd half is going to bring.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Could have scored 3 with better final passes and decisions

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm also watching this match and I can tell you that Ajax completely dominated the match. Benfica camped out in their 18 yard box for 85% of the match, not because they want to, but because Ajax has pinned them down and don't give them even a second of a breather. If it weren't for their forwards overthinking and trying to pass it into the goal, then they would have been 2-3 up by now. Very very good performance.

One thing that stood out for me was their ability to immediately regain possession. It's like 50/50 balls don't exist for Ajax. Every time there is a contested ball, Ajax always come out on top.

Also I don't understand how a team made of midgets can win so many aerial duels against opponents who are taller than they are. Every time there is a ball in the air(and there have been plenty) they always seem to win them.

Let's see what the 2nd half is going to bring.
I've got a friend of mine (Arsenal fan) watching the game and he messaged me saying that you've get to get ten Hag, whether he wins or loses this game.

Caesar2290

I've got a friend of mine (Arsenal fan) watching the game and he messaged me saying that you've get to get ten Hag, whether he wins or loses this game.
He must be a closet United fan then, cause no way in hell would I want him at Arsenal :lol:

One thing I will say though. If he can do this with the likes of Tadic, Haller, Blind, Berguis, etc I wonder what he could do with a much better set of players.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
He must be a closet United fan then, cause no way in hell would I want him at Arsenal :lol:

One thing I will say though. If he can do this with the likes of Tadic, Haller, Blind, Berguis, etc I wonder what he could do with a much better set of players.
It's not about the quality of the players, it's about the type of player and Ajax usually goes for the right type of player instead of a better player who doesn't really fit.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's not his fault. It is destiny that Benfica will play Real Madrid in this here CL

Womp

idiot
Not a Poch fanboy by any stretch, just wondered if the same standards would be applied to both men.
The circumstances aren't the same at all and you know that, which is why it's a silly comparison to make. Is it worrying he got knocked out? Absolutely. Far less so when you consider how well they played and the level of their squad.

Castia

Hipsters choice. Truth is 99% of the people wanting ETH haven’t watched more than 5 games at Ajax and even that’s being generous.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hipsters choice. Truth is 99% of the people wanting ETH haven’t watched more than 5 games at Ajax and even that’s being generous.
Hes the right choice.

Lecland07

I think the term is pointless, but does he classify as a bottler?

I mean, he was knocked out by Tottenham (throwing away a great position), who was managed by a 'so-called' bottler in Pochettino. And now, they fail to knock out Benfica. It seems the bottler levels are on the rise.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Potentially a blessing in disguise him going out, but he's got to be fuming with tonight's result based on the stats I'm seeing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Meh. It happens. As all those years with SAF as manager taught us on quite a few occassions.

Same applies to Poch as well.

They both have years of work for us to judge them on as managers. Losing in this year's CL is a tiny part of that.

If anything I hope everyone being out of the CL speeds the hiring process along.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is he a bottler now? Quite sure Poch was called one from equally frivolous measures.