Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

hobbers

Grande

Sorry to sound like a grinch, but Manager of the Month award doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Ange won it the past 3 times - how's Spurs doing now?

ETH himself won it past February, what happened after that at Anfield?

Come back when we start winning major trophies again under ETH.
Neither does SoMe comments, apart from that they both add up to the hysteria or calm surrounding the performers to perform in.

It does look funny, though, and is probably very unusual, that a manager is voted Manager of the month at tbe same time that some people are saying ‘never mind what he did last year, this is just too bad to live with for another couple of months’. You can’t not laugh a bit, can’ya?

Gavinb33

In the 3 games you mentioned with them line ups we had 7 first teamers in the line up against Charlton, 9 against Burnley and about 8 against villa. That’s pretty strong if you ask me. When pundits and people talk about major trophy’s though they often refer to the premier league and champions league. I mean I’m buzzing when we win any trophy. I still get the same feeling if we win the Carabao or Fa cup. All adds to our trophy cabinet at the end of the day. Was just stating what I believe ‘major’ means when talking about trophy’s
Against Charlton we played almost exclusively squad players, Martinez and Antony are the only ones who played as 1st choice in their position in the PL last season

croadyman

He’s the man for this club, back him. He’ll have to improve our away results soon when we visit the bigger teams though

I also hope we show up and beat Bayern midweek
I have this horrible feeling we will do our own job on Tuesday, however right at the end there is a winner in other game. This will lead to us going to Anfield with Champions League hangover.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
3 points behind City is still something that does not make sense somehow but it shows with some good results, we can catch up a bit

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
In the 3 games you mentioned with them line ups we had 7 first teamers in the line up against Charlton, 9 against Burnley and about 8 against villa. That’s pretty strong if you ask me. When pundits and people talk about major trophy’s though they often refer to the premier league and champions league. I mean I’m buzzing when we win any trophy. I still get the same feeling if we win the Carabao or Fa cup. All adds to our trophy cabinet at the end of the day. Was just stating what I believe ‘major’ means when talking about trophy’s
You don't know the difference between a second choice and first choice player then if you can't recognise that the bulk of those lineups were not our typical starters last season.

Lee565

The elephant in the room is still idea of giving ten hag more money to spend as who really trusts him with it based on his poor track record of big money flops

Chumpsbechumps

The elephant in the room is still idea of giving ten hag more money to spend as who really trusts him with it based on his poor track record of big money flops
The elephant in the room would be that the club still doesn’t have a proper football infrastructure in place whether it’s ETH or any other manager.

If the club lets ETH spend all the transfer money, it’s not ETH fault because it shouldn’t be his job.

MadMike

I think unless Ten Hag works miracles between now and the end of the year, then he will be gone after Ratcliffe’s involvement simply for being a man of the previous “regime”.

But that said no coach should ever be given money to spend. He should just identify the type of players that he needs and the players in the squad that are below the standards and need replacing. The rest should be the DoF and the scouts job.

MadMike

If the club lets ETH spend all the transfer money, it’s not ETH fault because it shouldn’t be his job.
It’s partly his fault, just not exclusively. He wanted more control, made it a condition for signing with us according to most journos and he pressed for the release of Rangnick.

He didn’t take on the responsibility of choosing targets begrudgingly or against his wishes. He isn’t just a pawn on a board, he has agency and responsibility for his actions.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
You don't know the difference between a second choice and first choice player then if you can't recognise that the bulk of those lineups were not our typical starters last season.
They was all in and around the first team though no? When you mention weaker squads it tends to mean youth players being called up or players that are nowhere near the first team. Martial for example was a first team player last season as he was the only ST we had. Lindelof and Maguire although they didn’t play much last season they’re still classed as first team players hence why they have both started most of our games this season.

Chumpsbechumps

It’s partly his fault, just not exclusively. He wanted more control, made it a condition for signing with us according to most journos and he pressed for the release of Rangnick.

He didn’t take on the responsibility of choosing targets begrudgingly or against his wishes. He isn’t just a pawn on a board, he has agency and responsibility for his actions.
And why did ETH have so much power to make whatever demands he wanted? Was it because the club was being run well or was it that most fans would actually be ok with anybody but those running the club making transfer calls?

I still think there’s alot we don’t know about how transfers are determined and done, so a lot of the conversations are pie in the sky.There is alot of evidence to suggest the club quite often gets players who aren’t priorities or real targets but just attainable/available. Managers can’t come out and say “I didn’t want that player”, so I don’t understand how people just buy the narrative that every player signed is one they really wanted.

Focusing on the manager with regards to transfers is redundant. This has been our problem for 11 years. The reason top clubs fans aren’t singling out managers for blame when signings are made and don’t work out is because they don’t rely on manager’s in squad building. Managers job is primarily to coach a squad they get and top clubs consistently provide managers with good squads before additions are needed.

ETH walked into a sh*tshow and during his term it got even worse, with more questions now over who does what and what’s going to happen in the future.

Who else is there to make decisions on transfers? If you don’t have football infrastructure, that’s the problem, targeting the manager for ones that haven’t worked out should be seen as yet more evidence that our clubs a mess, not used against the manager who shouldn’t be having to be overly involved in transfers.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
They was all in and around the first team though no? When you mention weaker squads it tends to mean youth players being called up or players that are nowhere near the first team. Martial for example was a first team player last season as he was the only ST we had. Lindelof and Maguire although they didn’t play much last season they’re still classed as first team players hence why they have both started most of our games this season.
You said we played full strength when other teams played second choice. We played second choice.

The "first team" consists of about 25 players. No team just plays a bunch of kids.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
The negativity surrounding ten Hag is getting a bit disgraceful now. Everything seems to get spun towards a negative angle by the large portions of the mainstream media. Considering what ten Hag has to deal with in terms of noise, pressure, injuries, player discipline, etc, he’s doing an amazing job. If the club can sort out the correct structure to facilitate the playing side of things, then under ten Hag we will be competing with the World’s best again I’m convinced of that. Patience is needed.

Lee565

Newsflash

INEOS are taking over sporting operations.
True but I think it will be too late to make moves during the January transfer window by the time they eventually take over which will basically be about a week before the January transfer window opens again and it will take some time for the appointments above ten hag to bed in and get a well thought out recruitment plan in place.

The other thing is there is no real track record of ineos at their other owned clubs of them being great in this department and we are basing it purely on the idea of they can't be worse than glazers.

TheReligion

Abusive
True but I think it will be too late to make moves during the January transfer window by the time they eventually take over which will basically be about a week before the January transfer window opens again and it will take some time for the appointments above ten hag to bed in and get a well thought out recruitment plan in place.

The other thing is there is no real track record of ineos at their other owned clubs of them being great in this department and we are basing it purely on the idea of they can't be worse than glazers.
Again you do know INEOS reviewed our sporting operations several months ago? And declared them inadequate?

I don’t think they will arrive day one and start from scratch. Work will have been going on for sometime.

Chumpsbechumps

Patience is needed.
Patience!!!!

Sure he’s had nearly 18 whole months, took over a well oiled successful club and has gotten the backing of the Same amount of spending as peps treble winning team!!!

It’s pathetic when you think about it, the 400 mil thrown at him as if that should make everything function in isolation. Sure most his signings have been injured and even when they are back it takes time to get to full fitness.

Asking for patience in football is like asking a glazer to not be massive c*nts, it just doesn’t come naturally to a lot of people.

Pughnichi

I think there’s some unfair criticism being fired his way.

The start of the season was atrocious…we looked weak and unfit - which is unforgivable really.

But he has had a whole host of juries to deal with.

4 wins out of 5 in the league…hopefully 5 from 6 after todays game and he’s seemingly turned a corner this season. The performances against Everton and Chelsea were good.

I would be much more forgiving if he continues to keep Rashford on the sidelines…which is absolutely the right thing to do.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Because Ten Hag won it. Any other manager and it would have been a Mickey Mouse trophy.
I like the work we did to win it but calling it a major trophy is just wishful thinking.

I dont think that many top teams would field their second grade sides if they saw it as a major trophy.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Because Ten Hag won it. Any other manager and it would have been a Mickey Mouse trophy.
City have spent a decade harping on about "The Quadruple". The EFL Cup is part of that.

No one is equating it to the Champions League, Premier League, or even the FA Cup, but it still gets filed under "major honour" whether you accept that or not.

Liverpool had an open top bus parade for it and the FA Cup the other year.

Every winner in the past decade has been one of the "big six".

It being a major honour has nothing to do with Ten Hag, and everything to do with the objective fact that it's a trophy that the top sides in the country want to win.

Edit: Isn't this you?

Mourinho's legacy is a squad who won 2 cups
Only one cup really though, given that you think the EFL Cup is a meaningless, mickey mouse cup. He didn't win anything really, given you'd have almost certainly been claiming the same about the Europa League had Ten Hag won that too.

Last edited:

VWW

The amount of people who don’t know the actual title of the League Cup is embarrassing
I agree. I mean how can you drink coca cola in your daily life and still not know the name of the league cup.

MadMike

And why did ETH have so much power to make whatever demands he wanted? Was it because the club was being run well or was it that most fans would actually be ok with anybody but those running the club making transfer calls?
No one is arguing that the club is run well or absolving the owners or the board of their own responsibility. Last of all me. I’m merely arguing that Ten Hag has partial responsibility because he pressed for more transfer power, he got it and didn’t use it well.

Saying that all the fault is with board/owners is like arguing that any bad decision made by any manager in any company, is not their fault and tracing it up to the CEO and by extension the shareholders. It’s irrational. There is such thing as personal responsibility, in both well and badly run companies. And Ten Hag has his own.

If you don’t see it that way it’s up to you, but personally I see zero logic in that.

RedIan

Just seen ETH has won the Premier league manager of the month award for November. mean while the press hound him and say we are a club in crisis.

Robbie Boy

City have spent a decade harping on about "The Quadruple". The EFL Cup is part of that.

No one is equating it to the Champions League, Premier League, or even the FA Cup, but it still gets filed under "major honour" whether you accept that or not.

Liverpool had an open top bus parade for it and the FA Cup the other year.

Every winner in the past decade has been one of the "big six".

It being a major honour has nothing to do with Ten Hag, and everything to do with the objective fact that it's a trophy that the top sides in the country want to win.

Edit: Isn't this you?

Only one cup really though, given that you think the EFL Cup is a meaningless, mickey mouse cup. He didn't win anything really, given you'd have almost certainly been claiming the same about the Europa League had Ten Hag won that too.
Quoting @el3mel about anything Jose related is like shooting fish in a barrell. The hyprosicy is astounding. He had an issue around our awful fans wanting Jose out, but since his departure, he just relentlessly abuses our managers.

Chumpsbechumps

No one is arguing that the club is run well or absolving the owners or the board of their own responsibility. Last of all me. I’m merely arguing that Ten Hag has partial responsibility because he pressed for more transfer power, he got it and didn’t use it well.

Saying that all the fault is with board/owners is like arguing that any bad decision made by any manager in any company, is not their fault and tracing it up to the CEO and by extension the shareholders. It’s irrational. There is such thing as personal responsibility, in both well and badly run companies. And Ten Hag has his own.

If you don’t see it that way it’s up to you, but personally I see zero logic in that.
I’ve never said ETH hasn’t made any mistakes or made bad calls.

I just have higher standards , id rather whoever is our manager has all the resources available to bring the club back to the top.

I also think it’s much harder to rate a United manager objectively without factoring in all the other issues. Klopp and Pep just don’t have all the drama and problems every United manager has to navigate.

And it’s not clear how much the United dramas/issues are affecting every one of our managers.

For me, ETH has zero room for mistakes this season , whereas most managers have at oeast a bit. Our manager hasn’t just injury issues, if it was only that then comparing them to Newcastle would be more reasonable. There’s so many more things going on that some morons call “excuses” as if these dramas are entirely seperate from squad harmony and could not possibly affect the team. That’s just nonsense.

I think it’s fair to ask questions of how the manager is doing but not when you only choose to look at the things that you want to factor like transfer spend (as if that’s all that you need to know).

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
If the League Cup is a major trophy, then what's a minor trophy? The form table?

Winning the League Cup is a nice achievement that ETH certainly deserves credit for, but let's not blow it out of proportion now. "Major" trophy has always referred to the league and the CL. You know, the ones that'll get people spontaneously dancing in the middle of the street.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
That's poor logic. When Pep won the treble with Barcelona, everyone started counting the UEFA Super Cup and the Spanish Community Shield as part of "The Sextuple". Neither of those are major trophies either - they're glorified friendlies.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
That's poor logic. When Pep won the treble with Barcelona, everyone started counting the UEFA Super Cup and the Spanish Community Shield as part of "The Sextuple". Neither of those are major trophies either - they're glorified friendlies.
I'm not sure "super cup" type competitions ever count as major honours.

I'm almost certain the community/charity shield doesn't here.

The fact is, while it's the lowest of the major honours, it still counts as one.

Shark

@NotShark
With the fixtures coming after this, it's in ETH's best interest to get 3 points here or else it'll get very very ugly again. So far this is looking like a total shambles.

Pyro19

He'll be gone after the pasting we will get at Anfield.

Scott mctominay in midfield yet again, he doesn't learn