Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I don’t read too much into his speech, it’s an old video and he just recently became the owner.

It just makes sense that he keeps all options open and doesn’t commit. He’s intelligent enough to realise he can’t feed the media by giving conclusive statements.

Regarding ETH, I suppose Ratcliffe deciding won’t be fair. Wilcox/ Brailsford will evaluate him and their opinion is the one that matters.

ETH is either deluded or his recent press conferences suggest he thinks he’ll be given a chance under the new setup.

That’s the most recent evidence I feel
I don't even find Ten Hags comments convincing that he's staying. Everybody seems to be skirting round the issue at the moment, which makes me think it's been agreed that he'll be leaving. LVG knew months in advance that he was going and he was saying similar things.

When you take any emotion or bias out of the situation, it's a situation where he very likely to be sacked or leave "mutually". Ineos will want their own guy, and the predecessors guy has just put up one of the worst seasons in the clubs history. It's very easy for them to sack him and I think it'd be more controversial to keep him now.

stevoc

Well we have learnt it doesn’t work for all the players, but not necessarily that it will never work.
Perhaps.

But it was clear by October that it doesn't work for any/all the players. Yet we've persisted with it and tanked an entire season. There's now a more than good chance the man who made this decision will lose his job.

What has been the benefit of this for the players and the club?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He said a lot there. He;s not putting the failure all on Erik, but he acknowledges that he's failed, won't provide support and wants people in who fit the requisite profile. In addition, he also mentioned that the role hasn't faced the level of intensity and competitiveness needed, despite also acknowledging that there hasn't been that support. He's advocating for the DOF role, and believes managers have been getting away with not facing pressure compared to other clubs.
And I 100% agree with that. I made a similar point on that topic, I don't actually think that any of the manager we hired were bad, I think that they all were given too much rope and none of them had the mentality required to realize that they needed to have expectations for themselves. That's also one of the things that I find amazing about SAF or any true manager, their ability to question their own work and always try to improve even if it's marginal.

JPRouve

Scout
Well we have learnt it doesn’t work for all the players, but not necessarily that it will never work.
It's never going to work because it relies on two things that are impossible. Your pressing scheme would have to be impregnable or your players have the ability to be at two places at the same time. The issue isn't about personnel but space and time.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It's never going to work because it relies on two things that are impossible. Your pressing scheme would have to be impregnable or your players have the ability to be at two places at the same time. The issue isn't about personnel but space and time.
I think it would work significantly more with more physical and athletic ability across the squad which is something we will need regardless of manager. I’ve maintained all season we lack players that have both the athletic and technical capabilities to be a top team and they should be the priority signings. People focus on City’s technical ability, but they match that twofold with their physical capabilities!

JPRouve

Scout
I think it would work significantly more with more physical and athletic ability across the squad which is something we will need regardless of manager. I’ve maintained all season we lack players that have both the athletic and technical capabilities to be a top team and they should be the priority signings. People focus on City’s technical ability, but they match that twofold with their physical capabilities!
It won't. No amount of athleticism will allow any couple of player to cover a 35m*65m rectangle, that's the no man's land that we leave between the front 4 and the backline in transition. And City do not set up the way we do in transition, the issue isn't technical nor is it about athleticism, it's about coverage and zonal assignments.

That wouldn't even work if you had legitimate olympics 100m sprinters.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Everything is a mess. Lack of CL football means less money. The person whose meant to take the tough football decisions is not available because Newcastle want 20m for him. Wilcox had been a DOF for 1 year, Brailsford is not a football expert and Blanc is an excellent money maker but not a football guru.Thus there's a power vacuum at the moment

I won't be surprised if we keep hold on ETH just as I won't be surprised if we let him go. There's risks and benefits in both.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I don't think we need to overreact. Ten Hag was partially brought in to change the culture and attitude of the team, and although it seems like he's failing there I think we're in a much better position than 2 years ago.

We've been shocking on the pitch, and had some terrible injuries, but with the addition of INEOS and a DoF I think we should stick it out with Ten Hag. The focus should be on supporting him find the right players with the right attitude - you can tell he's under resourced there just by the fact he went for Ajax/Dutch players that aren't good enough (besides Martinez).

If we can make 2 or 3 buys that are going to be starters, and players that just good people rather than shit houses or trouble makers, then we can start an actual rebuild from there. We've bought too many cnuts over the years.

erikcred

I don't think we need to overreact. Ten Hag was partially brought in to change the culture and attitude of the team, and although it seems like he's failing there I think we're in a much better position than 2 years ago.

We've been shocking on the pitch, and had some terrible injuries, but with the addition of INEOS and a DoF I think we should stick it out with Ten Hag. The focus should be on supporting him find the right players with the right attitude - you can tell he's under resourced there just by the fact he went for Ajax/Dutch players that aren't good enough (besides Martinez).

If we can make 2 or 3 buys that are going to be starters, and players that just good people rather than shit houses or trouble makers, then we can start an actual rebuild from there. We've bought too many cnuts over the years.
That's a new one. Because they didn't support him by telling him that teams other than Ajax also had players, poor ETH had no choice but to go only after players he'd already worked with. And then couldn't get much out of the most expensive one.

Alpha 1

He has been very well supported, we bought Antony for £85M ffs. The players we brought in are his choices 100%.

As for injuries, for most of the season we have had our first choice midfielders available yet the opponents have far more touches in our area than is acceptable. The truth is that Ten Hag's tactics are suicidal regardless of the players we buy. He needs to go, that would be a good start. Next point is to get rid of a few players and replace them with better ones.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
There are absolutely no excuses for how utterly abysmal this season has been.

He has to be sacked.

GoldanoGraham

He didn’t sound like somewhat that thought he was getting sacked the other night.

Maybe they will give him the final year of his contract to see if he can do anything maybe with a squad refresh of sorts that he does not control and it also saves Ineos paying out a fee to sack him.

A year on all the Ineos team will be in place and a defined plan and hopefully a well planned replacement lined up.

BorisManUtd

Neville mentioned how all this people are coming in (Berrada, Wilcox etc.) and that it'd be too much of a change if we have to bring in a new manager as well same summer. Think it's possible those in board feel the same way and with last 2 performances improving (we looked more solid than usual at least), they'll probably hope Brighton and City games go similar way so it's easier for them to justify keeping ten Hag. Even more so as there aren't that many replacements available atm.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Is he though?

Last 2 seasons.

McTominay 13 goals from 79 games.

Casemiro 12 goals from 81 games.

Casemiro has been injured and played a lot less game this year, so this year yeah but in general I wouldn't say he is.
Yeah, however by stretching it to 2 years it looks better for Casemiro as he was very good last season. This season he has been awful whereas McTominay is the opposite story, this season being on a good run of scoring goals for club and country. They’ve finally worked out where to play him.
Hence, this season McTominay is more of a goal threat.

Maticmaker

I mean which manager could United realistically not attract beyond the 5-6 obvious ones for obvious reasons?

Maybe not Alonso either because of his Liverpool past.
For me its not a question of who we could attract or not, we are not ready yet to go looking, and if we do we are likely to attract those whose careers are going in the wrong direction.

The new senior management team being assembly by Sir Jim are not functioning yet as a unit, some are still on 'garden leave', some are still bedding in and some have not arrived yet, it's the wrong time to go shopping for a permanent replacement for ETH.
Stick with him for now, if things do go worse then put Maclaren in charge, until the top team start to function as a unit, otherwise it's 'rinse and repeat' once again.

Last edited:

Wilt

If this is recent, then I think ETH is gone.
Yep doesn’t look good for Ten Hag ….“none of the managers have done terribly well”

Looks like Ten Hag‘s little (please don’t sack me) speech has fallen on deaf ears.

Win or lose, reckon FA cup will be his last game as manager.

Rista

What do we learn from that though. If you don’t commit to the style how do you know who can play it?
This idea that we're persisting with a style that doesn't work but could maybe, possibly work with different players in the future is bonkers to me. If it doesn't look better now than it looked in game 1, what did anybody learn or gain from it? In reality we just wasted a season for nothing. We didn't even put up a fight for 5th.

And this is the quote from Ratcliffe that people always point to as an indication that he'll probably keep Ten Hag on.

When you see the quote along with the question and Jim's body language, it's hardly a vote of confidence.
100% had the chance to say this is not about the manager, we are fully behind Erik. But he dodged that part of the question completely.

Robbie Boy

Looking at it from a logical, reasonable perspective, he absolutely has to go at the end of the season. Surviving this mess of a season would be quite something.

But, you just never know...

JPRouve

Scout
This idea that we're persisting with a style that doesn't work but could maybe, possibly work with different players in the future is bonkers to me. If it doesn't look better now than it looked in game 1, what did anybody learn or gain from it? In reality we just wasted a season for nothing. We didn't even put up a fight for 5th.
The other issue is that we looked a lot better on both sides of the ball against Arsenal and Newcastle, with the same players that have been available for nearly the entirety of the season. By simply tweaking the positioning of our midfield. This kind of defies the idea that injuries are the main issue.

To be honest, I don't think that I have ever seen a manager given that much leeway. SAF was blamed for zombie football, Guardiola was blamed for anti-football tiki taka, Klopp was blamed for his naive extreme gegenpress, LVG was blamed for his boring possession football, Moyes was blamed for crossing it like the Vatican, Simeone is blamed for his defensive style, Pulis has been blamed for his 80s brand of Football. But with ETH it's not the coach, it's the players, the structure or Stretford End's leaking roof.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It won't. No amount of athleticism will allow any couple of player to cover a 35m*65m rectangle, that's the no man's land that we leave between the front 4 and the backline in transition. And City do not set up the way we do in transition, the issue isn't technical nor is it about athleticism, it's about coverage and zonal assignments.

That wouldn't even work if you had legitimate olympics 100m sprinters.
But that isn’t the tactical plan. The reason that’s happening is because our defence is dropping too deep for protection. They don’t have the capabilities to play higher up the pitch and compress the space and they don’t have the ability to defend 1v1 in space. That is only solved by upgrading them.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I thought Falk was supposed to be pretty reliable for German news? I'm not much of a Bundesliga follower though so maybe I'm wrong on that.
Reasonably reliable about Bayern München. Problem is that the club is obviously quite fractured and no one really knows who he has close ties to, so he might be close to Tuchel's side, he might also be close to those who wanted to fire him so he might know more or he might know nothing about this.

JPRouve

Scout
But that isn’t the tactical plan. The reason that’s happening is because our defence is dropping too deep for protection. They don’t have the capabilities to play higher up the pitch and compress the space and they don’t have the ability to defend 1v1 in space. That is only solved by upgrading them.
Not really, unless you think that the defence is supposed to be positioned in the opposing(which cancels offsides), so the distance that we are talking about is anywhere between 30m-40m long since our front four is routinely at the edge of the box. The gaps that are an issue for us are in the opposition half between the opposition box and the half way line and also the outside channels.

Also good teams do not expect their defence to play 1v1 in space by default, that in itself is a daft idea. When you do that you end up with what happened to Bayern against Barcelona, you get your ass handed to yourself. Teams with proper defensive and transition plans focus on avoiding 1v1 because that's exactly what a good attacking system wants, to create 1v1 and force the defence to scramble when you beat a single player which statistically is going to happen often.

One way to mitigate it is to play heavy possession Football but as I already showed you, that's not what ETH wants. He wants to play transition Football with speed and take the opposition off-guard which increases the likelihood of turnovers.

Gordon S

Our lack of strong options in defence is of course an issue this season. But why persist all season with something that does not work. Madness. It was clear as day something was off with our defensive shape in the first game against Wolves. Should have been adressed at ht in that game, at the latest. But nah, it was the Palace game a few weeks ago that broke him and forced a few tweaks that made us a touch less open and vulnerable for transitions. Like he always knew how to correct things but still didn’t do it until the season was clinically dead. Would love to know how the discussions went among the staff during the season.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Our lack of strong options in defence is of course an issue this season. But why persist all season with something that does not work. Madness. It was clear as day something was off with our defensive shape in the first game against Wolves. Should have been adressed at ht in that game, at the latest. But nah, it was the Palace game a few weeks ago that broke him and forced a few tweaks that made us a touch less open and vulnerable for transitions. Like he always knew how to correct things but still didn’t do it until the season was clinically dead. Would love to know how the discussions went among the staff during the season.
It's not the first time ge's tweaked it. He did it against Liverpool. He has to go because he's derailed the season on purpose due to sheer stubborness.

JPRouve

Scout
It's not our defensive shape that is an issue, it's our transition defense(in fact both transitions are bad but that's besides the point). When we are in our defensive shape there isn't really anything wrong with us but there is something wrong with the way we are positioned when we attack and how we press when we lose possession, which has consequences on our transition defense and the gaps that are created by default.

And yes he knows exactly how to fix it, only a genuinely terrible coach wouldn't or someone that has no clue about Football.

NZT-One

The other issue is that we looked a lot better on both sides of the ball against Arsenal and Newcastle, with the same players that have been available for nearly the entirety of the season. By simply tweaking the positioning of our midfield. This kind of defies the idea that injuries are the main issue.

To be honest, I don't think that I have ever seen a manager given that much leeway. SAF was blamed for zombie football, Guardiola was blamed for anti-football tiki taka, Klopp was blamed for his naive extreme gegenpress, LVG was blamed for his boring possession football, Moyes was blamed for crossing it like the Vatican, Simeone is blamed for his defensive style, Pulis has been blamed for his 80s brand of Football. But with ETH it's not the coach, it's the players, the structure or Stretford End's leaking roof.
1st paragraph: I wouldn't be so fast to get the injuries out of the window. I agree with you, ETH would have had the chance to adapt earlier and quite frankly, I was often puzzled about some of his decisions. But I think he said in an interview that he didn't want to disrupt the team by changing everything up again only to re-shuffle it like 3 or 4 games later another time, when he expected the injured players to be back.

I don't want to absolve him of any responsibility or anything, but the injuries played a role in our season. If on matchday 3 two starters in defence get injured plus two midfielders then obviously, you'd expect the manager to adjust the initial plan for the season to get the best out of what you have. But I think this question isn't as easy when we are talking about injuries that take 2-4 weeks here and there. And always to the same players. I think, as a manager, you have to gamble to a degree - is it worth to reshuffle what you worked on only to have to reshuffle it again when everybody is back?

edit: we know how pressing works ideally, you push up, the whole team does to compress the space. You take the risk of giving the other team space in behind to play into but ideally, the advantages are bigger than the disadvantages. Our transition defending looks as bad as it does, because the attackers are seemingly fully comitted to the "push up" agenda but the defense isn't pushing up accordingly for multiple reasons. Yes the manager should have found a solution but when your available defenders are too often 36yo Evans, Maguire, Lindelof or now Casemiro - some doors simply are closed...

2nd paragraph: my feeling is that ETH isn't really getting as much leeway as people (well I can only talk about me) see the struggles he had, see the initial challenge he faced and see the implications of having to bring in somebody else. ETH certainly didn't have it easy this year, the challenge to update our playstyle is probably larger than many people expect (given that this team hasn't been coached/played/instructed in a modern way for 10 years) and there isn't really any standout alternative to ETH lurking around.

So all in all, I guess for some people it isn't as much "I am pro ETH and thats why I don't want him gone" but more "as long as we don't know who can be the best successor, it makes no sense to be impulsive and get rid". In the whatsapp group I am in, that is the standpoint of a few fans, they are fine seeing him go but not for the sake of not having him anymore but for the sake of bringing somebody in who is more suited to the overall plan. And given that we don't know whether there really is an actual plan - maybe it isn't the smartest thing to try to tweak too many cogs at the same time.

Don't really want to be seen as an ETH defender or somebody who is advocating to keep him but some of the arguments here aren't really strong. Isn't it obvious that a new playstyle will/would take some time to bed in? For players to learn their roles, get familiar with their responsibilities and movement of team mates and let synergies form? If people expect us to play better football from one day to the other, there is only disappointment waiting. People act as if nothing has worked out this season, and I can understand where they are coming from, but stats show that we became quite good at winning the ball high up the field. So one of the (apparent) objectives of ETHs playstyle seemed to work - the issue has been that due to our poor form around the attackers, we were rarely able to capitalize on those situations. This is what breaks the system, it is a certain gamble, risk and reward, push up, force mistakes, capitalize on those mistakes. When the last part isn't there, you are stuck with something that puts yourself at risk without really giving you a reward for it.

I don't know if ETH is the right person for us. Or whether he is capable to lead us back to glory. But I am quite sure that the road ahead will be very rocky. No matter who is at the wheel. There are many things our team is behind our rivals, collective principles, organized pressing, workrate - it will take time to even get level with most of our opponents, not even talking about getting better than them. A long term plan has to get in place and emotional reactions (even understandable ones) on frustrating events shouldn't be given too much power in decision making.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
1st paragraph: I wouldn't be so fast to get the injuries out of the window. I agree with you, ETH would have had the chance to adapt earlier and quite frankly, I was often puzzled about some of his decisions. But I think he said in an interview that he didn't want to disrupt the team by changing everything up again only to re-shuffle it like 3 or 4 games later another time, when he expected the injured players to be back.

I don't want to absolve him of any responsibility or anything, but the injuries played a role in our season. If on matchday 3 two starters in defence get injured plus two midfielders then obviously, you'd expect the manager to adjust the initial plan for the season to get the best out of what you have. But I think this question isn't as easy when we are talking about injuries that take 2-4 weeks here and there. And always to the same players. I think, as a manager, you have to gamble to a degree - is it worth to reshuffle what you worked on only to have to reshuffle it again when everybody is back?

2nd paragraph: my feeling is that ETH isn't really getting as much leeway as people (well I can only talk about me) see the struggles he had, see the initial challenge he faced and see the implications of having to bring in somebody else. ETH certainly didn't have it easy this year, the challenge to update our playstyle is probably larger than many people expect (given that this team hasn't been coached/played/instructed in a modern way for 10 years) and there isn't really any standout alternative to ETH lurking around.

So all in all, I guess for some people it isn't as much "I am pro ETH and thats why I don't want him gone" but more "as long as we don't know who can be the best successor, it makes no sense to be impulsive and get rid". In the whatsapp group I am in, that is the standpoint of a few fans, they are fine seeing him go but not for the sake of not having him anymore but for the sake of bringing somebody in who is more suited to the overall plan. And given that we don't know whether there really is an actual plan - maybe it isn't the smartest thing to try to tweak too many cogs at the same time.
And that's a sackable statement because the scheme is fundamentally flawed and wasn't better with the supposed starters. It's something that needs to be changed and buried forever. If we were talking about something that is supposed to work in theory, I could understand your reshuffle argument but we are talking about something that is genuinely senseless.

NZT-One

And that's a sackable statement because the scheme is fundamentally flawed and wasn't better with the supposed starters. It's something that needs to be changed and buried forever. If we were talking about something that is supposed to work in theory, I could understand your reshuffle argument but we are talking about something that is genuinely senseless.
I am not sure it is. I mean, it isn't fundamentally different to how other teams line up these days. And obviously, having Varane physical attributes and rather good pace, Shaws good overall skillset and Martinez work on the ball enables you to do different things than having Evans, Maguire and tentative Vic. With those players the defence might have pushed more up, leaving not as much space in between attack and defense. It would have made the pressing more effective and who knows, we might have become good with tactical fouls and/or offside traps. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to say that this is the perfect system, it can be challenged and countered but in theory, it makes sense.

As I laid out in the earlier post towards the other poster but you, the main issue is/was that we didn't capitalize on the one aspect of the whole thing that worked: winning the ball higher up the field. Also it was always going to take time to get an organized pressing scheme up and running. Synchronizing and organisation is something that isn't done in 3 weeks during the summer. And due to the injuries it was difficult to get in game experience as there were so many combinations of players that there wasn't much of an opportunity for synergies to really form.

SirCactus

Agreed. This summer feels like a potential corner turning juncture. New corporate leadership and funds avanilable for players. We need to trim the hangers on from the squad and invest in quality replacements. Profile needs to be young and hungry players, who have ambitions suited to our great club. I was impressed by performance against Newcastle, and the way ETH spoke after the game. I would stick with him, give him the chance he needs.

JPRouve

Scout
I am not sure it is. I mean, it isn't fundamentally different to how other teams line up these days. And obviously, having Varane physical attributes and rather good pace, Shaws good overall skillset and Martinez work on the ball enables you to do different things than having Evans, Maguire and tentative Vic. With those players the defence might have pushed more up, leaving not as much space in between attack and defense. It would have made the pressing more effective and who knows, we might have become good with tactical fouls and/or offside traps. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to say that this is the perfect system, it can be challenged and countered but in theory, it makes sense.

As I laid out in the earlier post towards the other poster but you, the main issue is/was that we didn't capitalize on the one aspect of the whole thing that worked: winning the ball higher up the field. Also it was always going to take time to get an organized pressing scheme up and running. Synchronizing and organisation is something that isn't done in 3 weeks during the summer. And due to the injuries it was difficult to get in game experience as there were so many combinations of players that there wasn't much of an opportunity for synergies to really form.
It is fundamentally different. There isn't a single team out there that has a similar pressing scheme, that doesn't play zonal marking, doesn't use layered coverage and doesn't use a pressing clock and triggers. The nature of our pressing scheme combined with the complete absence of systemic coverage of a wide area between the front four and the rest of the team is absolutely unique, at least it's unique among teams that have any aspiration to be good.

And none of these things are personnel dependent, those are basic things that apply to all players.

NZT-One

It is fundamentally different. There isn't a single team out there that has a similar pressing scheme, that doesn't play zonal marking, doesn't use layered coverage and doesn't use a pressing clock and triggers. The nature of our pressing scheme combined with the complete absence of systemic coverage of a wide area between the front four and the rest of the team is absolutely unique, at least it's unique among teams that have any aspiration to be good.

And none of these things are personnel dependent, those are basic things that apply to all players.
I see where you are coming from but I don't know how you can be so sure about where the line between ETHs intention or plan and the execution of this plan by our players is. Again, I would subscribe to your description of the problem but I don't know whether what we see is the result of a bad plan or bad execution (or potentially both). I'd say everything you listed can also be explained by players who don't get the timing right, the distances between each other right.
And while I agree that some things are not personnel dependent, it should be self evident that you can't really play the same pressing scheme no matter whether you play say Rudiger or Lindelof. One is aggressive and athletic, one is passive and timid. So you can play the same plan with them but the result most likely will be very different.

FortunaUtd

Careful with his words
This was out months ago
Its a fair few months old.
Now this is seriously annoying @strandty

Why would you post a tweet with a video interview into a current discussion that is months old, without adding any information that the video is old? Getting peope to react as if it was relevant.
I hate stuff like that.

Edit: I see actually the twitter account apologized..

JPRouve

Scout
I see where you are coming from but I don't know how you can be so sure about where the line between ETHs intention or plan and the execution of this plan by our players is. Again, I would subscribe to your description of the problem but I don't know whether what we see is the result of a bad plan or bad execution (or potentially both). I'd everything you listed can also be explained by players who don't get the timing right, the distances between each other right.
And while I agree that some things are not personnel dependent, I should be self evident that you can't really play the same pressing scheme no matter whether you play say Rudiger or Lindelof. One is aggressive and athletic, one is passive and timid. So you can play the same plan with them but the result most likely will be very different.
I draw the line at different players applying the same tactics including substitutes when they enter and just received instructions from the Van der Gaag. But let's say that these players are all failing to execute in the exact same way, regardless of the combination of players used, it means that the issue is likely a common denominator, coaching.

Gordon S

It's not our defensive shape that is an issue, it's our transition defense(in fact both transitions are bad but that's besides the point). When we are in our defensive shape there isn't really anything wrong with us but there is something wrong with the way we are positioned when we attack and how we press when we lose possession, which has consequences on our transition defense and the gaps that are created by default.

And yes he knows exactly how to fix it, only a genuinely terrible coach wouldn't or someone that has no clue about Football.
We are probably talking about the same things. Our shape when we press high just seem off. So many times the oppos beat our press and has so much space to attack. But even when we are in our own half, in our more normal shape to defend our goal, our shape and ideas to defend as a team just feels off. At times you see our front 5-6 players cuddle up in the middle, leaving loads of space to their full backs or wingers, when they, the wide players, then get the ball, one or two of our players then run out to pressure them, but since their starting point is 20m away we give them time to handle the ball and find a teammate. So our players seem to do a lot of running without the ball that does not add a lot. At least it looks like it to me.
These last two games have looked a bit different and we seem to make it harder for our oppo to find space to attack.