Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevoc

Moyes was hand picked by Fergie. We all know he only picked him due to being Scottish and Fergie had the right to have a say in the next manager and he was hoping he’d follow in his footsteps. LVG finished 3rd with Netherlands and had previously won titles in Spain, Holland although they was many years ago but he at least had a cv behind him and he was the only one that was actually half successful in implementing a style although it bored us all to death. You could see what he wanted. Mourinho also has a successful CV and was premier league proven as he’s won the prem before along with every other league title in about 4 different countries. He’d been successful in the champions league with 2 different teams. Ole was hired because of the great run he took us on. Was unlucky not to win the Europa league.
Your post is basically reiterating mine mate.

stevoc

It’s a really tough one to call in all fairness. Even sir Jim says that there clearly is something wrong with the environment in the club for this to be solely put at the managers feet, lvg moyes mourinho ole, they’re not bad managers. Also Kieran McKenna was in the background and couldn’t get a tune out the players. When McKenna and Carrick left people were delighted, these people aren’t idiots but seem to come up with terrible results when they come here, which raises the point it’s a problem internally. So for me it’s about how do you want to play? Does that manager fit how we want to play? He seems to want to play like city, high possession and pressing with cutting edge. There are a lot of managers who could try and implement that! So is Erik the right man for what they’re aspiring to? I don’t know how they’ll go.
To be fair, the context of that quote is he was avoiding answering a question asking him did he have confidence in the current manager.

NLunited

You should have said, “Let’s break down that 400m in a completely subjective and biased way”.

All / most of these transfers were directly connected to Ten Hag. Hojlund’s agent is Ten Hag’s brother — or the same agency at least.
Højlund switched agents because he wanted to come to us, that’s it.

NLunited

The coaches of the first three teams on the PL table have been there 5 years or more.

The rest is fighting for 4th spot.

Pochettino is fired despite an upwards trajectory and attacking football.

There is something to be said for keeping Ten Hag. If not, I’d go for Poch because his style is fairly similar and attacking.

NLunited

Like I said, managers wins us the trophies, players let us down everytime.

Last season for few months we played good football but overall his 2 seasons are not good enough. Very low goal scoring seasons, poor underlying numbers. He is very lucky with the cup draws, only thing his fans can use to defend this failure.

He gets way too easy pass for the pathetic CL group, so bad that we didn't even qualify for europa from CL. It was such an easy group too.
I’d point to injuries and in case of the CL group failure, individual mistakes and not being able to hold on to a lead.

Were our cup draws that easy? Yes and no; we also had to beat Brighton, Newcastle and Liverpool.

I don’t think he gets a pass; he’s under enormous pressure.

mythz

The coaches of the first three teams on the PL table have been there 5 years or more.

The rest is fighting for 4th spot.

Pochettino is fired despite an upwards trajectory and attacking football.

There is something to be said for keeping Ten Hag. If not, I’d go for Poch because his style is fairly similar and attacking.

Sack him and bring in Pochettino.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
When you consider 10th would mean only 49 points. That might help contextualise it.

We were 9 points from 4th (a reasonable amount to have assumed injuries could impact) but 12 points from 10th.

Hence my line.
Villa basically turned up drunk for their last game. We almost certainly won the last two games because ETH, after playing every game this season with suicidal tactics and formation, changed to a more compact system that he should have right from the beginning. If not for those two things, we could easily have been 18 points from 4th and 6 points from 10th. While it's obviously 'what-ifs', it's also more indicative of how we actually performed this season.

These last few games really put the lie to the much-repeated claims that injuries were our main issue this season, or that no manager could have done better with those injuries. We had more injuries than ever before in those last couple of games, yet we suddenly looked more solid despite that. We still didn't play well, but we gave ourselves a better chance of getting the win and surprise surprise it turned our atrocious second half of the season form around. Now imagine if he'd done that a few months ago, or better yet not gone into the season with the intention of playing chaos ball that was never going to work.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think if are sacking ETH, the club/INEOS have handled this very respectfully in allowing him to finish the season. And for one more chance at winning a trophy. Credit where credit is due.

croadyman

I think if are sacking ETH, the club/INEOS have handled this very respectfully in allowing him to finish the season. And for one more chance at winning a trophy. Credit where credit is due.
Just hope it doesn't hinge on what happens Saturday

Teja

That would be horrendous. Surely not!?!?
The media is going to spin it as if it was dependent on the result of the game if either we lose and he's fired or we win and we keep for one more year. Obviously if we lose and he still stays then that argument won't fly.

Xtal

My Pochettino is available!!! Please get him now!!! He loves Manchester United, he wanted Manchester United, we want him to!!! #PochettinoIN

Rojofiam

If anything, the article proves my point.
Uh huh :lol:

Why do I waste my time arguing with posters like you? Just totally delusional and anyone who isn't blaming ETH for absolutely everything that's gone wrong in the last 2 years is "making excuses" for him in your eyes. I'm not even ETH in and neither am I really ETH out. However, I'm not the only poster that gets ganged up on for not blaming the manager for absolutely everything.

To call Hojlund an ETH signing like Malacia, Eriksen, Antony or Martínez, just because SEG signed him after it was clear that he will be United's main target, and that we are player's dream club as well, is an insane take.

Last edited:

croadyman

My Pochettino is available!!! Please get him now!!! He loves Manchester United, he wanted Manchester United, we want him to!!! #PochettinoIN
Tuchel was apparently the top target before the announcement on Pochettino, therefore hope it remains that way and we don't discard him

Zed 101

And 13 points from 13th place. SAF finished 13th, ETH can do the same ... if only we have some patience with him.
Can he???? where is the evidence of this, it is pure conjecture to liken the situation now to any other manager SAF, Arteta, Klopp... people live in cloud-cuckoo-fantasy-land, yes ETH could turn it around but it has no relation to anything other than ETH... there are far more examples of tanking and continuing to nose dive

stevoc

So DeZerbi, Tuchel, Pochettino, Xavi probably all free in a month's time.

Options opening up.

m1tch

Why would players replacement be higher on the agenda if Ten Hag stays?

And what's an inspiring candidate in your opinion?
I'm saying that there's only two reasons I can see him not getting the sack, one is that the Ineos job list looks like this:

1. Player replacement (cause new manager bounce that fades fast indicates squad problems in my opinion)
2. Identify a new coach who is suited to what is another rebuild fast and challenge scenario
3. Sack ten hag

I'm reality owners nearly always sack the manager first because they know it'll save money not having to move on as many players, but I think it's precisely those up and down players that also need to go this time.

stevoc

I'm saying that there's only two reasons I can see him not getting the sack, one is that the Ineos job list looks like this:

1. Player replacement (cause new manager bounce that fades fast indicates squad problems in my opinion)
2. Identify a new coach who is suited to what is another rebuild fast and challenge scenario
3. Sack ten hag

I'm reality owners nearly always sack the manager first because they know it'll save money not having to move on as many players, but I think it's precisely those up and down players that also need to go this time.
Are we talking about Rashford?

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
The Managerial Merry-Go-Round is warming up nicely, do we think it goes into overdrive after the FA Cup Final?

Feels a bit like a phoney war at the minute

crossy1686

career ending
So DeZerbi, Tuchel, Pochettino, Xavi probably all free in a month's time.

Options opening up.
You forgot the big man also, Klopp! But seriously, there's plenty of options and there always have been. The 'there's no better option available' line has been bullshit for the best part of 6 months now. Some surprise names available in the market now though for sure.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

3. Sack ten hag

Nah, I think it's very clear that players are getting moved on this Summer. A new Manager coming in won't change that. The only thing it could change is the players we bring in.

m1tch

Are we talking about Rashford?
I'm talking generally to be honest, Rashford could be unfortunate in that his periods out of form (which last for 12-18 months) seem to coincide with the manager losing his job, but I'm saying any player that's shite now and was shite for Ole, doesn't need another chance, as tempting as saving the cash would be.

El Zoido

Got the feeling those you wouldn't pass on aren’t obtainable for one reason or another
Personally I’d go with McKenna. It may be a risk, but with greater long term payoff.

I’m also not panicking over Ten Hag staying until Ineos can make a decision they’re satisfied with. If it means another crap season so be it. I’m personally not desperate for us to just get anyone better, I’d rather we got it right. But if they decide Poch or Tuchel is the right man for the job I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. I think next season will be better even if Ten Hag stays on.

crossy1686

career ending

3. Sack ten hag

By all accounts, it's been said multiple times by people like Andy Mitten, that the club will look completely different in 12 months time, and by that they mean players, staff, structure.

INEOS have been pretty ruthless so far with the big earners who either don't play or aren't performing up to a standard that matches their wages. Varane, Martial, likely Casemiro and Sancho also, are the first out the door, probably quickly followed by those who aren't good enough like VDB. Make no mistake about it, that's a cost cutting strategy, not a 'clear the deadwood and support the manager' strategy. Players like Rashford (who people want sold due to perceived attitude issues) will still be here next season and the manager will pick him every game he's fit, regardless of who the manager is.

When he's not banging on about immigration, Ratcliffe has spoken multiple times about the need for patience at United. They don't foresee a quick rebuild scenario, in fact it seems they are under the impression this whole structure they're putting together will take more than 12 months to bear fruit. So whomever the manager is can't have the attitude of playing however they want and finishing 8th because they're too stubborn to adapt to the players they currently have and focus on winning games today.

Then you've got Ten Hag who seems to be lying his way through a job interview and hoping the owners don't fact check him. We don't create the most chances, we're not the most dynamic team in the league, we're not better than we were last season etc, all things that he's said in the last month.

CL football is a must next season and we need a manager that will come in and get the best out of the players we have and then build upon it with the help of the incoming strucutural changes over the course of the coming seasons. If that means playing counter attacking football for a year or two then that's what we have to do. You can't just throw all your players under the bus because you don't have a fit left footed CB and De Jong in the midfield. Ten Hag isn't the man to lead this rebuild, we know that much. I'm sure that the new management are busy in talks with many managers who potentially fit the bill.

hobbers

Poch is an upgrade on ETH in every imaginable way.

Better football, better youth development, better hairstyle, better accent.

BorisManUtd

Newcastle have had many injuries as well but have stats like this to encourage them for next season. Needless to say, we're nowhere near.

Maticmaker

True but they could look incompetent in 6 months if they have to sack him mid-season or they could possibly look incompetent a few years down the line if Ten Hag goes onto have success somewhere else.
I doubt that, given the fact the new management team is not yet assembled and hence not necessarily fully empowered to take some decisions. Given that ETH is only on a 3 year contract and the world and his wife knows that its going to take much longer than that to get the Manchester United 'juggernaut' back to where it expects to be. I've no doubt if ETH can get the right club/situation and with some years of PL experience behind him and he is allowed to 'do things his way' he will be successful elsewhere... but will it be at the level required at this club?

There is no 'silver bullet', the worst thing (IMO) is to rush into anything just now... as that would be a level of incompetence to take your breath away and lead to tears before bedtime in many United fans households, including mine!

m1tch

By all accounts, it's been said multiple times by people like Andy Mitten, that the club will look completely different in 12 months time, and by that they mean players, staff, structure.

INEOS have been pretty ruthless so far with the big earners who either don't play or aren't performing up to a standard that matches their wages. Varane, Martial, likely Casemiro and Sancho also, are the first out the door, probably quickly followed by those who aren't good enough like VDB. Make no mistake about it, that's a cost cutting strategy, not a 'clear the deadwood and support the manager' strategy. Players like Rashford (who people want sold due to perceived attitude issues) will still be here next season and the manager will pick him every game he's fit, regardless of who the manager is.

When he's not banging on about immigration, Ratcliffe has spoken multiple times about the need for patience at United. They don't foresee a quick rebuild scenario, in fact it seems they are under the impression this whole structure they're putting together will take more than 12 months to bear fruit. So whomever the manager is can't have the attitude of playing however they want and finishing 8th because they're too stubborn to adapt to the players they currently have and focus on winning games today.

Then you've got Ten Hag who seems to be lying his way through a job interview and hoping the owners don't fact check him. We don't create the most chances, we're not the most dynamic team in the league, we're not better than we were last season etc, all things that he's said in the last month.

CL football is a must next season and we need a manager that will come in and get the best out of the players we have and then build upon it with the help of the incoming strucutural changes over the course of the coming seasons. If that means playing counter attacking football for a year or two then that's what we have to do. You can't just throw all your players under the bus because you don't have a fit left footed CB and De Jong in the midfield. Ten Hag isn't the man to lead this rebuild, we know that much. I'm sure that the new management are busy in talks with many managers who potentially fit the bill.
We're definitely yet to see whether Ineos are going to be ruthless with the squad overhaul. We decided not to extend Varane by one year on his current terms, which is a pretty straight forward decision.

Martial's contact is ending and he wouldn't have commanded a double digit transfer fee at any point in the last 2-3 years.

I share your optimism for a more ruthless approach, but it's too early yet for any examples of that.

By the way, to be clear, I think EtH should and will be sacked. It's not practical to overhaul the squad significantly in one window. I was just trying to come up possible reasons for him staying. They're obviously not reasons I feel strongly about, but reasons I could at least acknowledge.

Telsim

Not really. Pochettino, like Ten Hag, is living off of a good Champions League campaign many years ago, although it would appear the last few games with Chelsea have done just as much to add to his myth. There's nothing about him, except being a consistent loser. Well, maybe be could make a midtable team punch above its weight, so if the plan is for this club to complete its transition downwards to that level, then he'd fit very well here. But if the goal is to compete for the top, he'd be a sidegrade at best, just like Potter. The only downgrade would be Southgate, and not by much.

None of these have any business here, including Ten Hag. But picking someone just because it's not him is not a good reason.

Redstain

It's true look at the stats this season for Chelsea, only marginally lower xG than Arsenal, a higher percentage of possession over 38 games (59%) compared to United's (50%) average. They scored the 4th highest amount of goals (77) in the league with no established striker, 20 more than United.

Poch like Eddie Howe has the statistics to back them up as being a sustainable options over a longer period. As much as Erik's tenure was supposed to built on longevity, when you assess the data it points towards him actually being a short-term manager.

The cup win of last season and the potential win of the FA cup this season is indicative of him being judged on managerial pedigree which was never the intention of him being hired. He's done next to nothing to build momentum in categorically progressing the teams collective performances and this was an issue last season which disincentives injuries being the reason as to why United look disjointed.

hobbers

Not really. Pochettino, like Ten Hag, is living off of a good Champions League campaign many years ago, although it would appear the last few games with Chelsea have done just as much to add to his myth. There's nothing about him, except being a consistent loser. Well, maybe be could make a midtable team punch above its weight, so if the plan is for this club to complete its transition downwards to that level, then he'd fit very well here. But if the goal is to compete for the top, he'd be a sidegrade at best, just like Potter. The only downgrade would be Southgate, and not by much.

None of these have any business here, including Ten Hag. But picking someone just because it's not him is not a good reason.
It's true look at the stats this season for Chelsea, only marginally lower xG than Arsenal, a higher percentage of possession over 38 games (59%) compared to United's (50%) average. They scored the 4th highest amount of goals (77) in the league with no established striker, 20 more than United.

Poch like Eddie Howe has the statistics to back them up as being a sustainable options over a longer period. As much as Erik's tenure was supposed to built on longevity, when you assess the data it points towards him actually being a short-term manager.

The cup win of last season and the potential win of the FA cup this season is indicative of him being judged on managerial pedigree which was never the intention of him being hired. He's done next to nothing to build momentum in categorically progressing the teams collective performances and this was an issue last season which disincentives injuries being the reason as to why United look disjointed.

I wouldnt say Poch is an ideal candidate by any means, there isn't anything close to one of those anyway. But there's no way he's anything like a Southgate or a Potter.

When Nkunku was fit Chelsea smashed in the goals. He also had to deal with his captain and a huge creative outlet injured the whole season. Those two injuries are unquestionably every bit as impactful as Martinez and Shaw being out for us. And even with everyone fit we could never dream of winning 4, 5, 6-0 under ETH. I also quite like that it seems he's leaving on his own terms and the players are upset about it. A bit like Tuchel.

Him and Tuchel are clearly the standout candidates but Poch has maybe more in his CV to demonstrate longevity at a club and focusing on youth development. I would spin the dice on one of them. And sack them quickly if it doesnt work out and check in on what Motta or McKenna (or RDZ, Amorim etc) have done in the mean time.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Personally I don't get why anyone would want Poch over Tuchel. For me its more than just about stats. We need a guy who has no problem berating some of the prima donnas that walk around the pitches these days and to also be nearly blind in defending the club he represents. Tuchel offers that, Poch does not.

NoPace

Newcastle have had many injuries as well but have stats like this to encourage them for next season. Needless to say, we're nowhere near.
Yeah, it's not where we finished, it's the goal difference (and chances we gave up). Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle all have much stronger cases for only needing small tweaks to be 70+ point teams next year.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Personally I don't get why anyone would want Poch over Tuchel. For me its more than just about stats. We need a guy who has no problem berating some of the prima donnas that walk around the pitches these days and to also be nearly blind in defending the club he represents. Tuchel offers that, Poch does not.
If we are talking about ONLY those 2 in isolation then you could say that perhaps Poch might be better at developing the younger players whereas perhaps Tuchel may be better at handling the expectations of a club like United