Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

NLunited

There is a lot of stuff posted in this thread which makes absolutely no sense.

1. Why were Ronaldo and Maguire dropped? As a lesson/wake up call or was it something else?

It was tactics. We were going to press Pool and exploit their high line: for both speed are needed. Exit Ronaldo. In the back, more mobility was needed in this game rather than a big physical cb: exit Maguire.

Additionally: Martial was out injured, which was why Ronaldo started last week.

The whole team underperformed the first two games, this was not a matter of dropping bad performers. Malacia played because he is a more tenacious energetic defender, to neutralize Salah.

2. We pressed for 30 minutes, then got tired and stopped pressing.

Wrong: we pressed for 95 minutes. Pressing can be done all over the field, which we did. Pool was not allowed any time on the ball, except in the back.

Our line where pressing begins dropped after 25 minutes or so, which is to be expected when you are a goal up. We continued pressing though.

3. Liverpool controlled the game after 20 minutes and should have won.

Bollocks, they never had control of the game. We limited them to creating half-chances while we easily could have scored five goals. Possession does not equal control.

4. We reverted to Ole-ball in this game, it had nothing to do with Ten Hag.

Are you fecking kidding me? We were slated to lose big, instead we gave masterclass in tactics, combined with effort and spirit (which should be a given).

The pressing we did has nothing to do with the zombie-style-sitting-back-hitting-on-the-break-ball.

Controlling a game with more possession is an end goal we will be working towards, but different tactics will be used against opponents that are very good at pressing and passing.

Not exploiting the space Pool was offering up would have been a crime. We exploited especially their left side where TAA likes to push up high and where Van Dijk doesn‘t play. Elanga and Rashford got big chances there.

Unbelieveable some people can‘t just take a big deserved win and enjoy it.

Real Name

1. Why were Ronaldo and Maguire dropped? As a lesson/wake up call or was it something else?

It was tactics. We were going to press Pool and exploit their high line: for both speed are needed. Exit Ronaldo. In the back, more mobility was needed in this game rather than a big physical cb: exit Maguire.

The whole team underperformed the first two games, this was not a matter of dropping bad performers. Malacia played because he is a more tenacious energetic defender, to neutralize Salah.

Wrong: we pressed for 95 minutes. Pressing can be done all over the field, which we did. Pool was not allowed any time on the ball, except in the back.

Our line where pressing begins dropped after 25 minutes or so, which is to be expected when you are a goal up. We continued pressing though.

Bollocks, they never had control of the game. We limited them to creating half-chances while we easily could have scored five goals. Possession does not equal control.

Are you fecking kidding me? We were slated to lose big, instead we gave masterclass in tactics, combined with effort and spirit (which should be a given).

The pressing we did has nothing to do with the zombie-style-sitting-back-hitting-on-the-break-ball.

Controlling a game with more possession is an end goal we will be working towards, but different tactics will be used against opponents that are very good at pressing and passing.

Not exploiting the space Pool was offering up would have been a crime. We exploited especially their left side where TAA likes to push up high and where Van Dijk doesn‘t play. Elanga and Rashford got big chances there.

Excellent post.

Bolded part is right on cue, we went back a bit after 20, 25 minutes but still pressed, playing more defensively doesnt mean you're not pressing.

Flexdegea

Also the tactical sub at half time bringing martial on to control the ball further up the pitch to hit on the break because Liverpool would throw more at trying to get a goal was spot on tactics as well. Elanga had a good game and just got pulled off.

iato89

This 'Oleball' nonsense has to stop. We did not jsut sit down and counter, we pressed all over the pitch, played highline in most of the game, closed all spaced and did not depent on individual brilliance but all goals were team work. If you cant see the difference then it is time some of you watch some proper football! Ole had 3, I repeat 3 years and he FaileD. Hag is his own man and already achieved much more then Ole has done in his management. Just get over it, thank god Old is gone!

Longshanks

I enjoyed the win very much so, any win against them lot is very enjoyable however it comes.

But your kidding yourself if you think what ten hag did was much different to what Ole did in similar games.

When we won 2-0 away at City in 20/21 we went there in poor form expected to lose heavily and produced and eerily similar performance in terms of tactics and result to what we saw on Monday night.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, its a results business we needed a result and having some tactical flexibility against certain teams and opposition is important.

But dressing it up as some sort out tactical masterclass the likes of which we have never seen before is just wrong.

Credit where credits due he got it right, but we rode our luck a little to get the result. We need more alot more going forward.

Olecurls99

Very good post

Olecurls99

On the other hand I can't see a game we'll play where Maguire is more suitable than either centre half.

Ronaldo's movement will be useful against packed defenses alright, but again I can't see him starting many games because of his lack of work rate and hold up ability.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I imagine Southampton will sit deeper but still try and press us high up the pitch.

We'll go back to having more of the ball so Mctominay should come out for Casemiro and Eriksen should keep the 8 spot.

Rashford might struggle against Southampton sitting deep but we've got to back him after that last performance. If it's not working

On the other hand I can't see a game we'll play where Maguire is more suitable than either centre half.

Ronaldo's movement will be useful against packed defenses alright, but again I can't see him starting many games because if his lack of work rate and hold up ability.
Southampton play exactly like Liverpool. High line, keep the ball. Ten Hag could run the same system back and do perfectly fine but it would only make changing our habits that much harder if we retract to Ole ball every time we need points.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I enjoyed the win very much so, any win against them lot is very enjoyable however it comes.

But your kidding yourself if you think what ten hag did was much different to what Ole did in similar games.

When we won 2-0 away at City in 20/21 we went there in poor form expected to lose heavily and produced and eerily similar performance in terms of tactics and result to what we saw on Monday night.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, its a results business we needed a result and having some tactical flexibility against certain teams and opposition is important.

But dressing it up as some sort out tactical masterclass the likes of which we have never seen before is just wrong.

Credit where credits due he got it right, but we rode our luck a little to get the result. We need more alot more going forward.
If that is the case, then a majority of teams in the PL apparently are playing better than us, so maybe a lot of wins for us on the way.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Southampton play exactly like Liverpool. High line, keep the ball. Ten Hag could run the same system back and do perfectly fine but it would only make changing our habits that much harder if we retract to Ole ball every time we need points.
There will be nothing wrong with using our pace up front to terrorise teams. Hopefully we will be getting a bit more pace into the club as well. I liked the defence and hope he sticks with them. It will help build a confident, cohesive unit.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
There will be nothing wrong with using our pace up front to terrorise teams. Hopefully we will be getting a bit more pace into the club as well. I liked the defence and hope he sticks with them. It will help build a confident, cohesive unit.
Exactly. Slowly coach the team to have mofe possession and a calm build up, but there is nothing wrong about doing that deeper on the field and then launching high speed attacks. It's a way to evolve the team and doesn’t make it harder to change habits in the end but makes it easier to understand for the players, so that they don't have to deal with mental overload due to everything being different.

cyberman

Madrid when they won La decima was the greatest team I have ever seen and this is exactly how they played

captaincantona

I’ll stick my neck on the line here. All the trouble started when ETH lost Martial. Not saying Martial is the answer but to have possession against a pressing side you need press resistant players. Martial is very effective these days at gathering the ball either up top or deep, dragging players towards him, and linking play. His return will get the very best out of Rashford and especially Sancho.

I personally would like to see Bruno dropped with Eriksen at 10 and Fred and Casemiro minding the house. If Martial/Rashford/Sancho stay fit…and with more composure and ball retention behind them (Eriksen/Casemiro as opposed to McT and Bruno) we are gonna start hammering teams.

Saturday we will score a hat load.

NLunited

Ronaldo's movement will be useful against packed defenses alright, but again I can't see him starting many games because of his lack of work rate and hold up ability.
Maguire may be back in if we are up against a target man. But Varane+Martinez looked very good, they are nailed on probably to start.

I think Ronaldo will be useful off the bench mostly. Martial looks like he‘ll start most games.

NLunited

Again, what we saw Monday has little to do with Oleball or Mourinho. Our chances were created by relentless pressing forcing turnovers, not sitting back and keeping the spaces small.

Hag achieved in three games what Ole didn‘t in three years: a win against Liverpool.

We could have easily scored five, while Pool had half-chances. Not a lucky win, but a fully deserved one.

Olecurls99

Again, what we saw Monday has little to do with Oleball or Mourinho. Our chances were created by relentless pressing forcing turnovers, not sitting back and keeping the spaces small.

Hag achieved in three games what Ole didn‘t in three years: a win against Liverpool.

We could have easily scored five, while Pool had half-chances. Not a lucky win, but a fully deserved one.
Ole did beat Pool in the cup

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

The second goal for Rashford was a classic counter attack and the tactics of pushing wingers higher up to pin the full backs and break quickly is straight from Ole's playbook since his caretaker period win vs Pochettino's Spurs. The first goal is more of a Ten Hag Ajax style play in overloading one flank and then switching play to the other.

Amsterdam Devil

we still need a better right back. Maybe not the first priority but to build a much better confident, cohesive unit we need a much better right back.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What lvg needed the most was a good dof, someone who could have helped sign good players and forced lvg to walk back on his own stupid decisions like saying no to kroos.
How did it work at Bayern and Barca ? If LVG says a player isn't needed, the club isn't signing one.

I do agree that he would have been a better option under a proper dof. Just disagree on Kroos part.

Tony247

Glad ETH led by example.

But I am concerned why players were raging? Did they think they didn't deserve the punishment? And then they saw ETH also punishing himself and thought okay that's fair!

The Oracle

I fully expect a response from the team against Liverpool on Monday night.

If the unthinkable happens, and players put in another crap showing, then it will be the beginning of the end for our Dutch manager.
I knew Erik wouldn't let me down :p

Yakuza_devils

I'm so glad for ETH. With this win he has earned more time now to build his team. We have seen what he is capable of and we must be patient and trust the process.

Those who says that the win was similar to Ole's ball, I have never seen Man Utd so much in control in a match even though we have 29% of possession. This is 100% not a traditional counter attack strategy by Ole.

We outran the opposition (not sitting back like Ole's time), press, attack and move very well. We also shown superb energy, fight and grid on the pitch (never seen this under Ole). We were also intelligently using the space for attack and defence so well. We were in control from minute 1 to 95.

lex talionis

The Rashford match-winner was straight out of the Ole playbook…but there’s nothing in the least wrong with that at all. ETH adapted his side to the circumstances of the occasion. Genius. Martinez was MOTM for me by a mile, but the game ball goes to ETH for psychologically and tactically preparing his squad for the match.

In the end wasn’t it close to 70-30 for Liverpool in terms of possession?

One other point which only marginally points back to ETH. In the first two matches we made mistake after mistake, including botching glorious chances. Against Liverpool we took our chances brilliantly and were nearly flawless defensively.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Glad ETH led by example.

But I am concerned why players were raging? Did they think they didn't deserve the punishment? And then they saw ETH also punishing himself and thought okay that's fair!
I think (hope!) it would be more a case of, "ah feck we have to run 8 miles!?" (cos let's be honest, who wants to do that!?) and then when they saw ETH doing it too they were impressed and got on with it.

Redfrog

If only he did it from the one. But good he did it now, long may it continue
It was smart. He gave them two games, first one was to show they can’t do what he wants and the second one was to confirm it. Neither of Maguire, Shaw and Ronaldo can complain now. That’s how you stamp your authority.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
His English is pretty good, better than some are giving him credit for I think. He's just out of practice
It’s hard for non-bilingual English speakers to understand this. One thing is to know another language, you can easily speak it in different settings, 1-on-1 or to people you know well.

But with English as a second language, you don’t think in English so you need to translate on the go. Constantly looking for the right words/translations.

Then, add a TV camera and a reporter, incredibly intimidating. Milions of viewers and every word under scrutiny. If you pause lightly looking for the right word, you feel like every second is a whole minute.

Give him a few months and he’ll probably be more fluent. Won’t lose the accent probably but will more easily communicate.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
I think (hope!) it would be more a case of, "ah feck we have to run 8 miles!?" (cos let's be honest, who wants to do that!?) and then when they saw ETH doing it too they were impressed and got on with it.
It’s a very clever way to neutralize grudge. Kudos to ETH, says a lot about his leadership skills.

Like Gardiola’s principal to have his team fix their chairs after press meetings. I’ve seen him turn players around to put their chair back in place. Says a lot about him as a leader.

Skills

Snitch
I feel like this Antony transfer can make or break him. He's a genius if it works out, but if it doesn't he'll have put a massive target on his back

always_hoping

Whoever said "Liverpool controlled the game after 20 minutes and should have won" must have watched the match while drunk?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I feel like this Antony transfer can make or break him. He's a genius if it works out, but if it doesn't he'll have put a massive target on his back
I trust him at least to have more of a mind when it comes to choosing players with the right attitude. No way Antony is worth that much but if he works out ok then that figure will be forgotten. I don't think Antony will make or break him any more than missing out on top 4 would. If the bigger picture is better overall ETH will keep going his own way and I hope the club supports him.

Skills

Snitch
I trust him at least to have more of a mind when it comes to choosing players with the right attitude. No way Antony is worth that much but if he works out ok then that figure will be forgotten. I don't think Antony will make or break him any more than missing out on top 4 would. If the bigger picture is better overall ETH will keep going his own way and I hope the club supports him.
If Antony doesn't perform this season after the clubs trusted him enough to spend £80m on him, I honestly don't know how anyone in their right mind would ever trust him with money again.

I hope he also has the sense to realise, making us do this means he won't have anywhere near as much money to spend next summer. So he better make the most of what he's getting now.

SmallCaine

Well thats true for every manager we have had since Fergie.
Not neccesarily, moyes, mourinho, ole and ralf all had lost the dressing room at the point they were sacked. Better players dont really solve that issue especially for likes of mou who is known to fall out someone or the other at every club he goes. Lvg's problem was his team's mind numbing lack of creativity, better players definitely solve that problem, get him a better a league finish and thereby keep his job.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Glad ETH led by example.

From my perspective they did see it as a punishment but when the manager was there with them they would have realized that he's sharing the blame with them. That would foster a sense of team, to borrow a term from ten Hag.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If Antony doesn't perform this season after the clubs trusted him enough to spend £80m on him, I honestly don't know how anyone in their right mind would ever trust him with money again.

I hope he also has the sense to realise, making us do this means he won't have anywhere near as much money to spend next summer. So he better make the most of what he's getting now.
Fair enough but after seeing the players / types he's targeting I'm encouraged enough at this point the guy knows what he's doing. So far so good. At least we can see a plan.

Tony247

I hope you are right too.