Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
We have a thread bare squad in terms of quality with no striker. We lost Ronaldo and there was no money to replace him so Erik brought in Weg to do a job, which he has done. We couldn’t afford a midfielder either so loaned Sabitzer.

It’s a work in progress and we’re top four with a trophy and another final to come.

Next year will be a different, better story.

el3mel

zero indication it won't be longer
Again, have you watched him these last few months ?

You are repeating the same bollocks, 2-3 years - zero indication it won't be longer - is extremely long time in football and he was a GREAT signing.
2-3 years aren't long time in football, especially for a team in a rebuilding process. We're still 2 years at minimum away from building a team capable of challenging for the league. By that time there's every possible chance we'll be looking up for a replacement for him.

Great signing or not, for such player and such sum of money, will ultimately depend on how much we win in the period he would play for us. He's not a young player and he's not going to get any better. If you invest such sum of money into a player this old, you should be expecting to win and win very soon. Otherwise there's no point of such business and it'll look like a waste of time and money when he leaves. He's not someone you're investing in for the future or long term, so him being "great signing" or not isn't something you can claim now.

You are ignorantly negative, even when responding to somebody else you summarised the season with out mentioning the fact we went through to the FA Cup Final the weekend just gone.
The only top 4 team we have faced in our both cup runs was Newcastle. I'm not sure how you and others keep treating it as some magnificent achievement. Looking at our runs in both cups it would have been actually ridiculous to not reach the final.

Losing the final and finishing 4th below Newcastle after crashing out of EL in the manner we witnessed will be indeed a very, very negative end to the season. Let's just hope we win that final, otherwise the doom will be surrounding the summer.

We've got a long way to go and ETH's subs are a massive issue. Everything else has been a reason for optimism.
There were plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the team but most of them went out of the window after the last 2 months.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I don't think this is true. We weren't as great as the commentators make out in the first half, but we had some decent patterns of play with first time passes, off the ball running and blind passes in the first half. I don't what happened to all that in the second half.
Yeah I agree we can do it in patches, the two goals we conceded were terribly sloppy though, the first was a mess and the second we were so open with two full backs way up the pitch and one interception and we were done. Then we don’t even look like scoring apart from the Bruno chance straight away. There always seems to be confusion and flatness during the games, we can’t control a game for the life of us, I’m just frustrated spurs were there for the taking 2-0 up and then we played like a bunch of arseholes.

Eddy_JukeZ

Also his signings overall have been crap. He should have no input into transfers going forward, if we keep going like he won't be here this time next year. It will be a much tougher league
I've been saying Ten Hag should have very minimal say on signings.

I mean people want to trust 200m to a guy who brought in Weghorst?

Let him coach the team. The incomings should be decided by a transfer committee.

Rusholme Ruffian

Ole fanboys are gonna exaggerate everything when criticizing Ten Hag. I mean he obviously made some mistakes this season and deserves some criticism. There are obvious ones though with an agenda who get a bit giddy when we aren't doing well and almost all of them were defending Ole to the hilt.
yeah, exactly this. Ridiculous. I mean compared to losing 6-1 at Spurs a few years back under Ole this is major progress right?!

Idxomer

And I’d defend ten hag too if people were calling for him to be sacked, (they’re not) because I think and hope we can get better but when you question his tactics, subs, our performances and say you’d hope we could be playing better by now and just get met with carabou cup win it’s a bit unfair
There are a couple of people here calling for his sack.

I think the main reason we aren't always playing better is the team has played the most games in Europe this season and had two crucial injuries in defence. The team looked done today after playing well in the first half, we did well against Sevilla at home and some freak goals and an injury cost us. We did well against Forest which is one of the toughest teams to beat away this season. He deserved criticism mainly because he shouldn't have gone full strength in at least one of the cups.

Judas

Open to offers

Let him coach the team. The incomings should be decided by a transfer committee.
No manager should have total control on signings, it's not the right way to run a football team that wants a long term strategy.

Witchking

yeah, exactly this. Ridiculous. I mean compared to losing 6-1 at Spurs a few years back under Ole this is major progress right?!
Have been a major supporter of eth, but the 7-0 overrules everything. With ole we knew coaching and tactics weren't of the highest quality. Didn't expect the drubbings that we got this season.

TrueRed79

The replacements coming off the bench are shite. Our overall squad depth is so far off the likes of city it's ridiculous. That cost us today.

Dazzmondo

I'd like to wait until next season when we have a proper striker to judge properly but I am starting to wonder if ETH's impact has been overblown a bit. Mourinho got 81 points and Ole got 74 points. I doubt we're going to reach either of those totals this season (certainly not Jose's). When you compare those squads with our current one, are they really that much better? Casemiro being in this team should actually make our team stronger than either of them really and looking at those teams we had Maguire, Lindelof, Fred and McTominay starting instead of Varane, Martinez, Casemiro and Eriksen. Jose had Pogba but he also didn't have Bruno (a far better player). Lukaku probably the big difference for Jose but he's not exactly a success either. Honestly, the players in our current squad are better than either of those seasons imo.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I love what ETH has done with our club this year. In less than a season he's made me finally belive that we are heading in the right direction. But man oh man, some of his decision making when it comes to subs is absolutely head scratching. Today all of his subs made us worse. I can understand why Fred came on for Erikson. He is trying to make us a little more defensive considering we only have a 1 goal lead. Turns out Fred had a horrible game, and I feel if anyone complaining about that sub is doing it out of hindsight. But bringing Wout and Malacia made no sense. I'd understand the Malacia sub if it was made earlier. Richarlson was finding space behind AWB so moving Dalot to the right and Malacia to the left would have made sense. But Richarlson was subbed out already. So why make that change? Not only that, but he also brought Antony off at the same time which completely changed our entire right side of the field. And all that to put Bruno on the right to accommodate Wout in the #10? What the f***?? The only way I can understand putting Bruno to the right is if we tighten up our midfield with say Sabitzer. These subs made no sense and ended up costing us the game...

Witchking

Eth needs a good window. Needs to bin a lot of players and get a top notch striker who can compliment Bruno like haaland does for kdb.

Eddy_JukeZ

No manager should have total control on signings, it's not the right way to run a football team that wants a long term strategy.
I agree, but it seems like Ten Hag has total control on signings.

I mean the signing of Weghorst was at his behest. If our board don't have the guts to say no to a manager if they think a player isn't right for us, we're going nowhere. I mean he shifted Bruno out wide to fecking accommodate Weghorst today. I don't even understand the rationale behind that.

ManUtd1999

You are confused. In 14/15, we finished 4th with no trophy. 15/16, we won an FA Cup and finished 5th with a very bad and boring league campaign.

In 16/17 we won 2 cups, but finished 6th. In 17/18, we finished 2nd but with no cup wins (lost fa cup final to Chelsea I think).
Thank you for the corrections.

My point stands though. We had some good results since Sir Alex left, but never managed to build on that. Each manager had a good run, but that didn’t lead to a league title or a CL win. I’m not sure why we think this time is going to be different.

Skills

Snitch
yeah, much prefer those season with no trophies or CL football but no heavy defeats.
Sure. We're not winning the CL next season anyways - so what's the point?

We're more likely to see someone like Bayern or Madrid but 6-7 past us than actually win it.

RedOrange

Swings and roundabouts. We didn't get battered 7-0 last season - under the worst manager we've ever had.
So in your mind losing 4-0 and 5-0 to Liverpool and finishing 7th is equivalent to winning 2-1 and losing 7-0 and finishing 4th?

I realize the season isn't over yet but I don't think your opinion will change anyways.

Eddy_JukeZ

He just doesn't have the resources from the bench, that's clear right now.
He has the resource to not sub on Weghorst and then shift Bruno out wide.

He has the option to not do that. But he went and did it.

TsuWave

that's a lot of words but all I can really see is 'waaah'.

We have had spells of playing some excellent football this season. It's not really much of a surprise that the quality dropped off as we lost Eriksen to injury, Casemiro to ridiculous suspensions, have played most of the season without a number 9, lost Garnacho, lost Martinez, lost Varane, and have a goalkeeper who is not suited to modern football. It does feel like your expectations were unrealistic.
Yes, posts in a forum will be comprised of words - and all I can really see in your posts in someone being ultra defensive because not everyone is acting like a ******* regarding ETH and thinking this is some sort of miracle season.

For clarification, I didn't pursue an exchange with you, I said I expected us to be a better footballing side than what we are - that statement takes into consideration our squad and things that happen throughout a season, because guess what? A manager is supposed to manage. You then engaged and have failed to change my initial stance/beliefs - but I do understand you reserve the right to think I had unrealistic expectations - at this point, I just don't care to try to convince you otherwise - please proceed.

McTerminator

Alright then, who should he have brought in instead of Weghorst?

Let’s remember the club had no money to spend in Jan due to the parasites (even a loan for Felix was too expensive).

So with that in mind, which striker would you have singed for free in January!?

EDIT: out of posts so

@Eddy_JukeZ

I understand the frustration, I share it…

I don’t understand it either in all honesty, but he clearly doesn’t trust anyone else to come on as a substitute striker.

He has shown tactical flexibility putting Shaw at CB and Dalot at LB, so if he says we don’t have any back up strikers save Wout and he knows the game needs a striker… what’s he supposed to do?

The crime here is the fact that we only have Wout for that role (arguably the most important position) and that is not on ETH.

Arsenal have Jesus and Nketiah, City have Haaland and Alvarez, Newcastle Isaak and Wilson even fecking Brighton have Welbeck and Ferguson… we have Wout and Martial… on that basis I feel fecking sorry for ETH.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Let’s remember the club had no money to spend in Jan due to the parasites (even a loan forFelix was too expensive).

So wit that in mind, which striker would you have singed for free in January!?
He shouldn't have fecking brought on Weghorst at all.

He brought on Weghorst and shifted Bruno to the right. There is simply no defending that. It's indefensible.

The United

To be honest, I'm surprised that anyone is 'laying into him' given what we have achieved so far this season, but I'm especially surprised (or maybe not) at those who shouted down any criticism of Ole for years on end suddenly losing their shit cos we drew 2-2 away to Spurs. Have you all forgotten that we lost 6-1 there under Ole?!
One trophy so far is good. But it is not surprising that people have concerns when the team lost their leads, mostly in second halves, and some major dubbing by good and bad teams in away games. Those are achievements so far, good or bad.

Judas

Open to offers

We're more likely to see someone like Bayern or Madrid but 6-7 past us than actually win it.
To be honest with this level of negativity, why even bother with watching this form of entertainment? Where's the joy for you?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
There are a couple of people here calling for his sack.

I think the main reason we aren't always playing better is the team has played the most games in Europe this season and had two crucial injuries in defence. The team looked done today after playing well in the first half, we did well against Sevilla at home and some freak goals and an injury cost us. We did well against Forest which is one of the toughest teams to beat away this season. He deserved criticism mainly because he shouldn't have gone full strength in at least one of the cups.
I haven’t seen anyone say he should be sacked. Must have missed those.

inagree with the rest and always thought it was a mistake going for every trophy in his first season, for two reasons, maybe three reasons. 1) we clearly didn’t have the squad for it and it was always going to burn the players out. 2) it seriously impacted the time he had to coach the team and style of play or tactics on training ground, he said himself we were using actual matches as training, and 3) it’s a marathon not a sprint, find your feet, get top four, get better players then go all out for all the big trophies, to be fair with regard to 3 we are still in the top four so

The United

Yes, posts in a forum will be comprised of words - and all I can really see in your posts in someone being ultra defensive because not everyone is acting like a ******* regarding ETH and thinking this is some sort of miracle season.

For clarification, I didn't pursue an exchange with you, I said I expected us to be a better footballing side than what we are - that statement takes into consideration our squad and things that happen throughout a season, because guess what? A manager is supposed to manage. You then engaged and have failed to change my initial stance/beliefs - but I do understand you reserve the right to think I had unrealistic expectations - at this point, I just don't care to try to convince you otherwise - please proceed.
The irony is that he is doing exactly what he accuses "ole fans" of doing—and in some cases, much worse.

Dazzmondo

were you otherwise engaged at the weekend?
We might have got through but the performance was poor. To pretend otherwise is pretty ridiculous. Our defence was good but we created nothing and De Gea was the main reason we didn't lose in the 90 mins

Rusholme Ruffian

hang on, so you are actually saying you would rather have not finished top 4 this season, and not won a trophy, than have lost 7-0 to Liverpool, 6-3 to City and 4-0 to Brentford (in the guy's first game in charge)?

spiriticon

We actually won at 3-0 Spurs 3-0 just last season ......
It's always Ole with you stans. :rolleyes:

Ole inherited a squad that had a Mourinho core. He had a very good CF in Lukaku, 2 upcoming players in Martial and Rashford, a functional midfield of Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Fred and benefited from Greenwood's emmergence from the academy. Still needed to spend 200 million and had 0 trophies to show for it only to replace our only functional CB at the time with a ball playing world record fee, that is slower and can't even pass to save his life. Still got the captaincy for it.

Left us with an absolute shambles of a bloated imbalanced squad with huge disciplinary issues, a past it prima donna 37 year old CF that didn't bother to show up for pre-season. But hey ho, ETH is in the exact spot Ole was because he spent 200 million after the manager lost Matic, Pogba, Cavanni, Greenwood and Mata all in one window.
Ok. Screw Ole. Van Gaal has finished in the top 4 and has won a cup. Mourinho has also finished top 4 and won 3 cups. Every new manager that has come in has taken over 'a shambles'. Van Gaal took over Moyesies 7th place disaster, Mourinho had to correct Van Gaal ball, Ole took over Mourinho's mess.

There's nothing special about Erik's situation this year, it's just where its always been when a manager at United gets the sack.

It's been a good season, but I just cannot get why people hype him up so much.

Idxomer

I think it's obvious he's a very good coach but he shouldn't really be allowed to make his own signings.

The thing is I don't believe Murtough and co. are good enough to be responsible for our transfers either.

RedDevilQuebecois

Until Ten Hag starts to properly trust kids with the belief that they may provide something that our "adults" do not provide, I am not totally convinced yet. I hope he knows that giving proper chances to the youth in certain crucial situations, especially when we have many injuries and many fixtures, is part of the job of a Manchester United manager.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
With 10 men. Plus also we have been spanked this season also 6 and 7 goals.

Not that it changes everything but the main thing to get out of it is people are comparing the two. meaning deep down people from both camp (Ole & Ten Hag) feel the need to compare as if nothing differentiate them. Never you will hear City fans compare Pep to Mancini or Pellegrini (who both won the title) , or Liverpool fans comparing Klopp to Rogers. It means and shows the United fan base is not fully convinced it's him.
A worrying sign but he can turn over the fans on the fence by better football.

To be honest, I'm surprised that anyone is 'laying into him' given what we have achieved so far this season, but I'm especially surprised (or maybe not) at those who shouted down any criticism of Ole for years on end suddenly losing their shit cos we drew 2-2 away to Spurs. Have you all forgotten that we lost 6-1 there under Ole?!

always_hoping

This is not the first time since 2013 that we have managed to finish in the Top 4 or win a trophy. In 2017, we won the Europa League and League Cup. That year, we finished second (with 81 points). In 2015, we won the FA Cup and finished fourth. And then what? LVG and JM never managed to make us a title-winning side (or seriously challenge for it).

My point is: we have 60 points of 31 games, and we may very well finish in the top 4 (in a season where Liverpool and Tottenham are poor), but then what? Will we be a better team next year? Will we challenge City/Arsenal/Liverpool for the title? I doubt it.

And, to be clear, I do want the manager to stay. That’s not the issue here. We are just not making any serious progress for years now.
If United finish top 4 (still work to be done) it will be the first time for ten years to finish top 4 and win a trophy in the same season.

2017 finished 6th in the Premier league and won two cups
2016 finished 5th in the Premier league and won the FA cup

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think it's obvious he's a very good coach but he shouldn't really be allowed to make his own signings.

The thing is I don't believe Murtough and co. are good enough to be responsible for our transfers either.
His signings have been good and have undoubtedly made the team better.

Superunknown

Ok. Screw Ole. Van Gaal has finished in the top 4 and has won a cup. Mourinho has also finished top 4 and won 3 cups. Every new manager that has come in has taken over 'a shambles'. Van Gaal took over Moyesies 7th place disaster, Mourinho had to correct Van Gaal ball, Ole took over Mourinho's mess.

There's nothing special about Erik's situation this year, it's just where its always been when a manager at United gets the sack.
This is a very fair point, actually.

Rusholme Ruffian

Find me a post where I have described this season as a 'miracle'. And also, writing as though you are a 19th Century academic on a forum is weird.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Let’s remember the club had no money to spend in Jan due to the parasites (even a loan for Felix was too expensive).

So with that in mind, which striker would you have singed for free in January!?
We have an entire recruitment department with professional scouts and analysts, do we not? And they couldn't identify a single low-cost, stop-gap backup option other than a failed Burnley striker?

If that's the case, sack the entire recruitment department and start over.