Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I'm going to remain optimistic because I believe he is a strong coach and has managerial pedigree. He'll have to show it now more than ever though.

Ole I never respected as a manager remotely. He's not even a coach, really terrible appointment in every way barring cheerleading.
You're only defending him because you can't admit you're wrong and have decided to go all in, nothing to do with him being a good coach.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Their simply isn't the money in the club to afford another rebuild. That can only happen under new owners. If the Glazers are wanting to sell (lol), no way will they allow us to spend the amount any sane manager would demand.

Speako

Meanwhile, Randolph and Mortimer sit somewhere in Glazer Towers, utterly oblivious, sipping scotch and living the dream. “We lost again tonight you know” says a butler sat in an adjacent room of the east wing. “Who did?” Says Randolph with a grin. Mortimer pisses himself laughing.

Eddy_JukeZ

We've been here before.

His management since the Cup Final is arguably the worst of any manager post-SAF.

We've been horrendous since then.

Redstain

Listened to the post match it feels like he learnt from Sancho situation, the interviewee was very insistent on him shifting the blame to the players (asking what if Rashford did the right thing in the Bruno chance) but you could see he was catching on. The media had it out for Erik before he even played a few games as manager they will be seething for him given the mood around the club and the consistent negativity that surrounds the press with United.

steffyr2

Did ETG react and change the formation when Utd went down to 10 men? There certainly looked to be a huge hole where Casamiro used to be. Isn't that U10 coaching?

Skills

Snitch
B: won a trophy and top 4. Generally improved the mood around the club, man managed his way through difficult situations well. Seems a good guy and a capable coach. Improved the players at the club - got Rashford back up and firing, and the fullbacks have improved massively. I'd say Bruno's a more rounded footballer too thanks to him.

My issues stem in the fact that I think he's maybe put the club in a massive pickle going forward with some of his transfer business. I can't see any of his signings bar Lisandro playing a starting role when we are ready to win a title on the current trajectory. Antony's just never going to be good enough, and Casemiro and Eriksen are too old if we are to believe everyone's current project timescales. Malacias also not good enough, but who cares at £12m. So inevitably once we plug the gaps we have now (that too because of a reduced transfer budget because of last season's overspend), we'll have to go back and fix the same positions again. Making it a never end cycle.

Secondly, though ultimately we met our target this season for top 4 and a trophy - the way we did it has lot a left to be desired. We haven't fixed our ability to score goals - our goal total is pathetic. Teams with far less up front manage to score more so I don't buy this whole issue being blamed solely down to the lack of a striker. How many did city score last season without one?

The other part of this is some of the capitulations have been jarring. You can forgive one, but getting thrashed by 6 and 7 goals at the Etihad and Anfield in the same fecking season is shocking and displays a lot of tactical naivety. I'd say part of his remit this season should've been to restore a bit of pride in the club, after last season's batterings but somehow we ended up on the end of two that were even worse than that. And the fact that even the return games at OT that we won were just smash and grabs, where we played like minnows at our own home ground (we ended up with less than 30% possession in both games) makes it harder to write them off as freak results.

Overall - I'd say, he's earned to stay on as our manager. There isn't a better option on the market and there's enough promising signs there. But if you're not a little concerned, you're delusional and might be in for the same sort of shock the Solskjaer/Mourinho fan clubs were in for when the results could no longer hide the systemic underlying issues that were always there. Then I'm guessing we'll just go back to blaming it on the players being bad eggs and throwing managers under the bus, rather than recognising there were some signs of this all along.
Our fans are just so predictable. Bury your head in the sand for as long as possible, and then when reality slaps you in the face go back to the usual excuses. Glazers, toxic players - at least there's no Pogba and Lingard this time right?

AndyMUFC

We look an absolute mess. I mean can you get any further away from the type of football we expected from a Ten Hag side than tonight?

It feels like something has gone badly wrong and he's either abandoned his philosophy or he's lost the dressing room due to all the off the pitch nonsense, and I don't want us to sack another manager but I can only see this ending that way at the moment.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think he genuinely believes we are controlling these games. Delusional.

Huddsred

The guy that saw his team ship 6 at the weekend to Villa definitely seems like the one to sort our defence out.
Freak results happens and Villa were sublime. Doesn't make him a bad manager.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Doing a piss poor job this year. And don't want to hear crocodile tears about the Glazers - we wildly outspend the teams who are beating us week after week
This is a concern. It’s not elite teams or even good teams beating us or giving us fits for the most part. Even our depleted squad dwarfs most of those we’ve folded to in terms of cost, experience and supposed pedigree, so the pressure is compounded.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You're only defending him because you can't admit you're wrong and have decided to go all in, nothing to do with him being a good coach.
I've been wrong about many things on the caf, I'm not going to shy away from that.

But I'm not going to give up faith in a manager who was an obvious first pick upon being hired and had a successful first season. I want to see if he turns this atrocious start around. That makes me more patient than some, not unwilling to admit I'm wrong.

The Hilton

Their simply isn't the money in the club to afford another rebuild. That can only happen under new owners. If the Glazers are wanting to sell (lol), no way will they allow us to spend the amount any sane manager would demand.
The problem is that with this club it would be a rebuild. If we had decent succession planning, then we could get rid of him and bring in someone to make a few tweaks to continue the progress he's made, rather than wholesale changes.

The worst thing we could do is to sack him and get an interim manager in, that puts us back to square one. We've chosen a path, and as Zlatan said we have to continue down that path, even if we decide that ETH isn't the manager to take us to the end of it, it needs to be someone who will take us in the same direction.

DSG

Casemiro already looks like needs replacing, 1 year into a (4?)year deal on £300k+ a week. Martinez is a very niche CB, lacking in physicality, another manager would likely not fancy him in the PL.
Said before I think Hojland and Mount are likely to be of the most use of the £400m spent.
Casemiro isn’t our problem. People are saying he’s been poor defensively, but we are trying to play a 4-3-3, whereas last season we played a 4-2-3-1 with Eriksen much deeper. As a result, Casemiro is left to cover a lot of ground. He’s our leading scorer for Chrissakes! Mount is much higher up the pitch.

Martinez was great last year. I don’t think his physicality has ever been in question. It’s irrelevant because he won’t be available until January.

RedChisel

I really wanted this to work but he's got to be in last chance saloon now. Lose the next game and he needs to go.

He doesn't have the personality and doesn't want to make the big decisions to turn this around. So fecking disappointing.

RedDevil@84

Inching towards a sack, fair or not is a matter of perception.
If he had the club backing, I guess he could bench Bruno and Rashy, but I doubt he has that kind of authority.

The Hilton

He's clueless about what to do once he loses some key players.

He basically needs all of his favourite XI to be available all season for his team to show some cohesion on the pitch.
This is utterly false. We looked extremely cohesive on the pitch tonight, and were undone by terrible errors from Dalot, Onana, and Lindelof.

Skills

Snitch
The problem is that with this club it would be a rebuild. If we had decent succession planning, then we could get rid of him and bring in someone to make a few tweaks to continue the progress he's made, rather than wholesale changes.

The worst thing we could do is to sack him and get an interim manager in, that puts us back to square one. We've chosen a path, and as Zlatan said we have to continue down that path, even if we decide that ETH isn't the manager to take us to the end of it, it needs to be someone who will take us in the same direction.
The problem is that his signings have been shocking. This is such a poorly assembled squad.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Yeah let's keep the man that has saw us ship 4, 6 and 7 against multiple teams including the team that shipped 6 once.
The 4-0 against Brighton was under Rangnick, right? Our defence has been a joke for a while now.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Making Bruno captain and building this mismatched team around him might spell the end for his tenure here.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Inching towards a sack, fair or not is a matter of perception.
If he had the club backing, I guess he could bench Bruno and Rashy, but I doubt he has that kind of authority.
Inching? He's gunning there full-pelt. Made even more impressive by the fact 2 months ago he was arguably the 3rd most secure manager in the league.

DSG

I've been wrong about many things on the caf, I'm not going to shy away from that.

But I'm not going to give up faith in a manager who was an obvious first pick upon being hired and had a successful first season. I want to see if he turns this atrocious start around. That makes me more patient than some, not unwilling to admit I'm wrong.
We’ve had our disagreements in the past, but I’m with you here. He absolutely deserves criticism, and he should be nervous, but he shouldn’t be sacked yet.

If we don’t get wins versus Brentford, Sheffield United and Copenhagen, he probably needs to go. Or at least 2 wins and a draw.

frostbite

Making Bruno captain and building this mismatched team around him might spell the end for his tenure here.
But he didn't build the team around Bruno. He plays Bruno as a stopgap, right, left, back, everywhere. ETH played Wout at Bruno's position last year, Mount this year.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
You're right, I thought the game last season was Brighton, not Brentford we lost 4-0 to.
Tbf, there's been a lot... genuinely tiring to try and remember at the minute.

Tiber

There will be a lot less money when we finish 14th

The Hilton

The problem is that his signings have been shocking. This is such a poorly assembled squad.
They haven't been shocking at all. The only players he's signed for us that have been really poor are Weghorst, who was an emergency loan signing due to us being broke, and Onana so far, although it's far too early to completely write him off.