Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Don't think thats true, well it's not for me anyway. I wanted Moyes, Ole and Jose out for a while before they cot canned.
And lots of fans didn't want them out, because a United fan stands with the manager, no matter what. That's definitely true.

Wilt

Ten Hag for Tuchel ?

Bring it on ! ….I’ll even give Ten Hag a lift to the airport.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

However, Ten Hag has hit back by claiming that Mourinho is the only manager in the post-Sir Alex Ferguson era to "get the players they wanted."

"Apart from Mourinho, the manager didn't get the players they wanted, and that is what you need," Ten Hag said in an interview with ESPN Brasil.

"I am confident we will achieve our goals, but it is a tough competition. It is not a two-horse race anymore.

"There are seven, eight [teams in the Premier League] who all go for the title, who all have very good squads. So if you want to go to the title, you have to construct that squad."

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
And lots of fans didn't want them out, because a United fan stands with the manager, no matter what. That's definitely true.
That's true for every club. At every club there will be division on opinions, people have different beliefs and that's why they have different opinions.

Judas

Open to offers
To me, he's not talking like a bloke who will be here next season. It's all very defensive and comes across at him washing his hands of everything and trying to make clear to his next employer he wasn't the problem.

Berbaclass

Bayern wants both Rangnick and ETH, both of them Redcafe has decided they are idiots and poor managers. Maybe the general consensus of the Caf has got it wrong...

gajender

Bayern wants both Rangnick and ETH, both of them Redcafe has decided they are idiots and poor managers. Maybe the general consensus of the Caf has got it wrong...
Or hear me out may be just may be Bayern have lost their collective marbles .

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That's true for every club. At every club there will be division on opinions, people have different beliefs and that's why they have different opinions.
That's true. Nonetheless I think United has a significant share of fans who think sacking a manager is generally a terrible thing. I don't get this feeling with fans of other clubs, where it is much more accepted that cycling through managers simply is a normal thing as sooner or later (almost) every manager hits the end of the road.

Revan

Assumptionman
Don't think thats true, well it's not for me anyway. I wanted Moyes, Ole and Jose out for a while before they cot canned.

Each situation is different. Don't think it's fair to lump them all together as one.
It is more like a significant part of the fanbase for every manager, but someone loving a manager might dislike the next one (for example, lots of Ole cultists have been quite against EtH from the beginning). But as an overall fanbase, we are extremely pro-manager and put him above everything else. We are the only fanbase who supports the club, ‘and the manager’. He has at least parity with the club, quite often is above the club.

During these years in Caf, the only posters next to me who have had a skepticism, for the manager, and a prior of the manager could be good and bad, no need to declare him God before he proofs to be good are @Skills and @Sarni. And we have been consistent for every manager. For me I think is being objective, for Sarni is a coping mechanism (I remember him being convinced that Moyes will be here for at least 6 years), while Skills is a bit pessimistic in nature, which is understandable considering how shit we have been for a decade. Even recent very against EtH posters have had their head in EtH’s ass not longer than October or so.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard

"Apart from Mourinho, the manager didn't get the players they wanted, and that is what you need," Ten Hag said in an interview with ESPN Brasil.
That shows he's not the right manager to work under a footballing structure dictating transfers.

I really don't think he can complain about not getting the players he wanted, unless he refers to De Jong, in which case he should be fired immediately.

Fallon d'Floor

This is hilarious. Mourinho was backed well during the 2016 and 2017 summer windows. Then the club failed him miserably with just Fred and Dalot the following summer.

ten Hag has gotten multiple players he wanted. The club negotiated a fee with Barcelona for FdJ. He didn't want to leave. ten Hag should have figured that out sooner.

Mourinho also missed out on players he wanted. Maguire was one.

Revan

Assumptionman
That's true. Nonetheless I think United has a significant share of fans who think sacking a manager is generally a terrible thing. I don't get this feeling with fans of other clubs, where it is much more accepted that cycling through managers simply is a normal thing as sooner or later (almost) every manager hits the end of the road.
The best phrase to describe this club, which you might have seen thousands of times during the years in Caf is ‘support the club and the manager’. I have never heard it for any other club. I swear that until December or so, the United fanbase has more faith in EtH than City for Pep or Madrid for Ancelotti.

Which might have been understandable during SAF era (he was the club). But we heard it over nobodies like Moyes, Ole and EtH and especially nowadays is absurd considering how long has it been since we had a manager who wasn’t a bit mediocre.

Berbaclass

That shows he's not the right manager to work under a footballing structure dictating transfers.

I really don't think he can complain about not getting the players he wanted, unless he refers to De Jong, in which case he should be fired immediately.
Wanted Kane.

SirAF

Ageist
Absolutely, and I guess that is down to us being used to having Ferguson for such a long time. Now, if INEOS are able to successfully implement their new structure the club should be able to change the coach (no longer "manager"!) a lot more seamlessly whenever it is deemed necessary.

Berbaclass

This is hilarious. Mourinho was backed well during the 2016 and 2017 summer windows. Then the club failed him miserably with just Fred and Dalot the following summer.

ten Hag has gotten multiple players he wanted. The club negotiated a fee with Barcelona for FdJ. He didn't want to leave. ten Hag should have figured that out sooner.

Mourinho also missed out on players he wanted. Maguire was one.
The two big players he wanted were Kane and FDJ. He got neither.

gajender

What is more likely? Redcafe being wrong or Bayern losing their minds...
I consider myself to be a reasonable person , so wouldn't generalise we all get things wrong but in this case Based on body of evidence it seems Collective wisdom of Redcafe might have an edge over Bayern Hierarchy .

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Has that ever happened? The support for Ten Hag is nowhere near that of say Mourinho. Did Utd fans disappear to support Spurs?

Am I wasting my time responding to another sarcastic Sarni post?
I think Ten Hag has fewer fans than Mourinho but they are more devoted.

Ole fans hard to compare with as there was nowhere to follow him to + there's obvious United nostalgia there.

Revan

Assumptionman
I consider myself to be a reasonable person , so wouldn't generalise we all get things wrong but in this case Based on body of evidence it seems Collective wisdom of Redcafe might have an edge over Bayern Hierarchy .
While I agree on this case, a reminder that collective wisdom of Caf not long ago was that EtH is there with Pep and Klopp.

Sarni

Nah. Moyes, Mourinho, and Ole had near as big cults and their **** didn’t go follow them when they left. United has a **** of manager problem, not a **** of EtH problem. You can replace EtH with a literal donkey and a significant percentage of our fanbase would worship it.
I think only Ole **** was comparable and had a lot to do with nostalgia, and there was nowhere to follow him to. There are admittedly very few ETH cultists but they are very devoted.

I am not saying people will stop supporting United, just that they will likely follow his performance elsewhere very closely in hope of their views being vindicated.

Fallon d'Floor

The two big players he wanted were Kane and FDJ. He got neither.
Kane would have eaten up the entire budget last summer. And it was never realistic anyway.

The club did their part with regards to FdJ. They agreed a fee with the club. He didn't want to leave. It's ten Hag's own naivety that resulted in that fiasco. It dragged on too long. He even claimed that both FdJ and Casemiro could have been signed. That was never feasible financially.

Shameless manager.

Berbaclass

Kane would have eaten up the entire budget last summer. And it was never realistic anyway.

The club did their part with regards to FdJ. They agreed a fee with the club. He didn't want to leave. It's ten Hag's own naivety that resulted in that fiasco. It drsgged on too long. He even claimed that both FdJ and Casemiro could have been signed. That was never feasible financially.

Shameless manager.
Yet according to everyone we wasted it anyway.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The best phrase to describe this club, which you might have seen thousands of times during the years in Caf is ‘support the club and the manager’. I have never heard it for any other club.
Very true.
I think context matters a lot. Just looking at the leagues, Dutch managers have historically not done well in England but did do well in the Bundesliga (for whatever reason). Rangnick also is well respected in Germany, but he probably never was a good choice for an interim job - he is however a good choice for a (re)build of a top team, which is what Bayern needs and would have tried with him.

gajender

While I agree on this case, a reminder that collective wisdom of Caf not long ago was that EtH is there with Pep and Klopp.
Oh that was peak insanity but was their consensus or just a vocal minority detached from reality .

Revan

Assumptionman
I think only Ole **** was comparable and had a lot to do with nostalgia, and there was nowhere to follow him to. There are admittedly very few ETH cultists but they are very devoted.

I am not saying people will stop supporting United, just that they will likely follow his performance elsewhere very closely in hope of their views being vindicated.
For what is worth, I think that Moyes had the biggest rabid ****. It was like living in an alternate reality, where your eyes and minds clearly tell you that he is an awful manager for United, but until November or so if you said something that wasn’t in full support of him you got abused, people claimed that they put you on ignore, got called a glory hunter who should feck off and support City, and once someone put my Facebook profile in the thread cause I was complaining about Moyes (he removed it that post though). We know that cause you were getting the same treatment as me.

At least now is much more civilized and there is debate rather than personal attacks.

Revan

Assumptionman
Oh that was peak insanity but was their consensus or just a vocal minority detached from reality .
Probably not consensus cause people have wised up during the years, but I thought it was a majority.

For example, in the thread of rating post SAF seasons, I think the (vast) majority rated the last season as the best, despite that it was nowhere near the best. We didn’t finish in best place, we didn’t win even a second tier trophy (Europa or FA), we didn’t get that many points, we didn’t play that well and we had more humiliating defeats than in any season including a historical one. But somehow, it was the best, and EtH was a genius for leading us to the third place with this bunch of bottlers.

As you said, peak insanity.

gajender

Very true.

I think context matters a lot. Just looking at the leagues, Dutch managers have historically not done well in England but did do well in the Bundesliga (for whatever reason). Rangnick also is well respected in Germany, but he probably never was a good choice for an interim job - he is however a good choice for a (re)build of a top team, which is what Bayern needs and would have tried with him.
That's a fair point regarding Dutch managers not being able to cut it in PL but then again sample size is pretty small and in regards to Rangnick does he have any prior experience of being at helm as a coach for Top Club in need of rebuild .

Revan

Assumptionman
That's a fair point regarding Dutch managers not being able to cut it in PL but then again sample size is pretty small and in regards to Rangnick does he have any prior experience of being at helm as a coach for Top Club in need of rebuild .
Turned Red Bull clubs from nothing to UCL qualifying club (and his chosen manager even managed to reach the semis), but that was as a DoF-figure.

As a manager/coach his main success was Schalke, where he reached UCL semis (something that EtH got praised).

Telsim

Lovely

More like unwise. He will be unemployed within days of the FA Cup final, so his next job is something worth mulling over. If he plans on continuing as a football manager in short order, that is. But it will not be at this club.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Vocal minority as usual.

Andersons Dietician

More like unwise. He will be unemployed within days of the FA Cup final, so his next job is something worth mulling over. If he plans on continuing as a football manager in short order, that is. But it will not be at this club.
Why so sure?

Sarni

For what is worth, I think that Moyes had the biggest rabid ****. It was like living in an alternate reality, where your eyes and minds clearly tell you that he is an awful manager for United, but until November or so if you said something that wasn’t in full support of him you got abused, people claimed that they put you on ignore, got called a glory hunter who should feck off and support City, and once someone put my Facebook profile in the thread cause I was complaining about Moyes (he removed it that post though). We know that cause you were getting the same treatment as me.

At least now is much more civilized and there is debate rather than personal attacks.
Ah, that does ring a bell, I think my brain has just erased this part of my life + it was 10 years ago already.

As for ETH, my first doubts started to creep in when he asked the team to run 14 km in training after Brentford defeat which sounded ridiculous but many on here were incredibly impressed because he was ‘a disciplinarian’ and was going to ‘show these fecking players’. He won me back after we started to play much better around October/November, but then I again had some doubts when we began to needlessly play our strongest XI in games against fodder / cup games (which again most on here though was awesome because ‘these fecking players need to know it’s tough’), and wheels came off with injures / poor conditioning towards end of season. This year has just reaffirmed all my doubts and has added some I didn’t think were a big issue like game management or tactics.

Across most of our fan base I can definitely see huge disdain and irrational hatred for players that has been prevalent here for entire decade, and an overarching respect for manager who is usually backed beyond reason. I don’t think I have seen a fan base that despises its players more, almost without exception.

Andersons Dietician

Did you dip out of the CAF for the Jose era? There was no greater toxic period of time on the CAF.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We have lost 12 league games this season, City have lost 8, Arsenal 11, Liverpool 13 in 2 seasons combined.

We have scored 110 league goals in 2 seasons, City have scored 87 this season alone, last season they scored 94, Arsenal 88.

We have lost more games this season than Arsenal and City did in 2 seasons combined.
We have struggled to outscore Arsenal and City in 2 seasons combined compared to their one season

Unbelievable lows achieved but somehow we have fans who think we should give him one more season.
But they’ll tell you that those stats have nothing to do with his coaching and team management and everything to do with the footballing structure.

These posters are completely delusional. We’ve seen it with every single post match failing manager. You get this weird group that blames everything but the manager.

OmarUnited4ever

I have nothing against the idea of sacking underperforming managers, my issue is persisting with shit players.

The top teams do not have too many shit players, hence why, when a new manager takes over, with 2-3 new players, sometimes those managers do very well, I am confident that for example, if Pep leaves City today or if Ancelotti leaves RM today, a new manager will have the opportunity to perform given the high quality of the playing squad.

we can sack EtH tomorrow, but below players will still be under contract beyond 2024 summer if we do not sell anyone: -

Sancho (not good enough)
Antony (not good enough)
Lindelof (not good enough)
VdB (not good enough)
McTominay (not good enough)
Rashford (not good enough)
Casemiro (legs gone)
Eriksen (legs gone)
Maguire (not the best CB for modern football)
Shaw (too injured)

Unless we rid the team of these players and sign better ones, a new manager will struggle, the team must be overhauled one way or another, and until this is done, I do not think any manager will be able to get anything out of a team this bad.

This isn't a defense of EtH, and I am pretty much indecisive about EtH, but I am also not bothered if he is sacked really, he didn't show enough to make me think that he must be kept.

Lee565

Why is there such a different narrative around our failing manager compared to other failed managers at other Premier league clubs which has been pushed by many ex united like neville and keane who have absolved all out past managers of blame.

When united have failed its never the manger fault but the players fault who are always supposedly throwing the managers under the bus or its the board's fault but when say spurs screw up or Chelsea or even arsenal in previous seasons you didn't here them slagging of their players as throwing the manger under the bus.

Just look at spurs at the moment who have been in terrible form for some time now but you don't here keane and neville moaning about the players passion or professionalism where as whenever united lose of late it seems have they are always laying blame on the players