Erik Ten Hag may need at least 96 points to break the Pep/ Klopp duopoly, is that realistic?

GazTheLegend

I think the target for Ten Hag has to be 70-80 points. And then look toward 80-90 the next season. The freakish levels city and Liverpool have shown can't and won't last forever, and once Salah ages/leaves then I expect a big drop off. Look what happened to Liverpool without van Dijk last season. All it takes is one player to fall off (like with us when Rooney went shit) and the points drop comes right quick

Aouer-United

We need to improve our home forms first before we can think about getting 90+ points.

wolvored

I think next season will be a gimme and TH will be allowed to rebuild the team with 2 summer transfer windows, supplemented by some youth being promoted. I think top 4 will be the ask the second season, and with another summer window and further additions the ask will be to challenge by season 3. To get 90 points is a big ask, but if he can get us playing the way he wants us to play, along with possibly 12+ buys and promotions from the youth, it can be done. Klopp did it.

Abraxas

It's a massive ask, to put it mildly. When you look at the raw numbers it looks odds against. But I think what you have to do is build up, and then in 2-3 years much will have changed. It's not going to be the exact same landscape and opportunities will open up.

I think it's about having a style that is repeatable, and dominant over the majority of the league. So there's two aspects, recruiting the quality that can outclass the average PL side, and putting together a system that is relentlessly consistent. It's not enough to throw a bunch of top players together, these sides have shown that having that ingrained system is part and parcel of achieving the results required for 90+ points regularly.

Realistically, the next couple of years are about getting a squad in place and starting to build a foundation within our performances and hopefully seeing an upwards trend. Even if 95 points is the required destination, its not the immediate focus and it probably wouldn't be helpful to look at it. We need to start putting some basic characteristics of a good side into weekly performances.

James Peril

Of course it isn’t realistic! Neither Sir Alex, Wenger nor Mourinho managed to do it, managers who will most certainly be rememered longer than ten Hag. Honestly, the latter should focus more on learning the language rather than getting 96 points, we’ll have tons of fun regardless.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Nah. The total number of points required to win the league will come down in the next few seasons due to the meteoric rise of Newcastle and improvements for Arsenal, United and Tottenham. Plus Chelsea will always be there. So expect the winner to have 84-88 points tbh. A strong and competitive league. Not more than 10-12 points will separate 1st from 5th.

JohnnyKills

Nah. The total number of points required to win the league will come down in the next few seasons due to the meteoric rise of Newcastle and improvements for Arsenal, United and Tottenham. Plus Chelsea will always be there. So expect the winner to have 84-88 points tbh. A strong and competitive league. Not more than 10-12 points will separate 1st from 5th.
Agree 100%

Tavern in the town

There’s a lot of “the total needed to win the league will drop because other teams will become better in this thread,” but that’s exactly what people said when City put up 100 points 4 years ago. The benchmark will always be 95+ while Pep is here imo.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The reason that City and the dippers can do this needs to be analysed though. Basically if you combine a well coached high press with high quality players then you are going to beat most of the other teams in the EPL in a consistent way. You will even do that on off days because the gulf in quality becomes so great. It's that simple. That's exactly why we have brought in Ralf and ETH and committed to a system that is going to be quite difficult, expensive and time consuming to get right, and been willing to blow off the rest of this season.

We are not the only club that is doing this. Don't expect Liverpool and City to be this dominant in 4 years time.

RedStarUnited

Liverpool and City have been at the absolute top of their game for the last 4 years. They won't stay at that level forever, even if they do have Klopp and Pep. They're great coaches, but not unbeatable or flawless. I remember feeling quite hopeless during Mourinho's first spell at Chelsea. I thought there was no way we were going to catch them. Then suddenly we did. Things change quickly in football.

It's not going to be a quick fix, and he might require a year or two to get there, but I do feel optimistic that Ten Hag can get us to a place where we're challenging Pep and Klopp yes.
I used to think this too RE Joses time. But the difference then was that we had Sir Alex, a PL winning veteran and a player who would go on to be one of the two best players to have ever kicked a ball.

Ten Hag has to learn the league and create the team he needs. It took Pep and Klopp time to do that alone.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
There’s a lot of “the total needed to win the league will drop because other teams will become better in this thread,” but that’s exactly what people said when City put up 100 points 4 years ago. The benchmark will always be 95+ while Pep is here imo.
City and Pool will be the teams to beat till their respective bosses are in place. But 95 points to win the PL? Let's hope for the sake of the quality and competitiveness of the premiership that it does not become the benchmark.

Stacks

Yeah I'm the "one dude" who cutely mentioned Everton and Newcastle. You're the cute one if you don't think Newcastle will quickly be capable of taking points off the big sides with the money they will be spending, you only need to look at City to figure out how that's going to go. You also missed the entire point. The point at large was that a factor into these two getting this many points is that a lot of the other "big" teams are a shambles right now and will get better in the next couple of years. Also, you really think Chelsea won't get sold to some other billionaire and still be competitive? Yeah we may be "demented" but you're not very bright yourself.
Nope I don't. City had money since 2008 with that Thaksin dude. How much are Newcastle going to spend? I'm not taking them seriously. Surely one should wait and see what happens to both Newcastle and Chelsea before making claims of them "taking points" and "getting good". Newcastle will end up with players like Martial.
Or is it the case that football moves quick?
You are relying on the top two too continue there standard, what's to say that won't change?
Because they have the best managers in world football

ScholesyTheWise

even if the total number of points required to win the league will drop as many speculated in this thread,
it'll still be a big ask from Ten Haag to better Pep & Klopp's teams.

It'll probably be hard for us to better this season's points tally by 10-15 points (doable if not that easy), let alone 25-30 (unrealistic).
most of the squad is going to be here come next season, and they'll most likely be required to play a style they've never played before on a consistent basis. we will probably see scenes reminiscent of Pep or Klopp's first season in their respective clubs.

you'd like to think that someone who signs up for the manager's job at United will be able to deliver straight away, but we have to accept that we're far from what we used to be. the media doesn't and won't accept it so the scrutiny and the huge pressure are still going to be here from the off, but we as fans might give the manager and (god forbid as they showed nothing this season, the unlikeable bunch of bottlers) the players.

If you think back on the greatest managers the PL has seen in the last decade or two- none of them had to face the 2 best managers in the game at the same time. Fergie faced prime Wenger and then Mourinho when Wenger lost some of his touch. none of them had to face "a pep" and "a klopp" simultaneously. and then there are Tuchel and Conte who are very good themselves and coach teams that aren't worse than United to say the least.

I believe we won't win the league for some time. it's a bit hard to resolve this conflict of trying to remain realistic while not being defeatist.