Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

passing-wind

Where Haaland goes will largely be dependent on where he wants to play. That's why I feel the mentions of who can pay the most money is to some extent irrelevant. The fact he went to Dortmund to prioritise his development is a big indication of this.

City are being made to be Chelsea when in reality though they have finances, they have always approached transfers cautiously walking away from an array of expensive players in negotiation. The reason no one has any idea is because the Haaland's haven't been vocal about where the next move will be etc.

MUFC OK

We simply will not put up the money they are asking for. Why would he join us anyway? Chelsea look like a good move for him and they can offer Werner in part exchange which would make sense for Dortmund. City, Bayern, Real Madrid are all more attractive options for him. He’d be starved of service in this team unless we actually play Bruno and pogba together week in week out and add a competent RW.

dinostar77

Riola is pushing hard to get Haaland to Real Madrid. Thats his preference for where his client goes. Not entirely altruistic where Riola is concerned.

Also Pogba wants out of Utd this summer or a free next summer. He wants Madrid full stop. Even less chance of Haaland coming here if Pogba is on the way out.

Source: The Transfer Window Podcast

Matriac

Where Haaland goes will largely be dependent on where he wants to play. That's why I feel the mentions of who can pay the most money is to some extent irrelevant. The fact he went to Dortmund to prioritise his development is a big indication of this.

City are being made to be Chelsea when in reality though they have finances, they have always approached transfers cautiously walking away from an array of expensive players in negotiation. The reason no one has any idea is because the Haaland's haven't been vocal about where the next move will be etc.
Yes, going to Dortmund was a good career move to ensure playing time and proving himself in a stronger league than the Swiss one. But he and his management team got a decent sign on bonus because dortmund used a buy out clause from RB Salzburg. And since they approved a new buy out clause, that ensured that they are set up for yet another sizable sign on bonus when he moves. Moving clubs in this way ensures bigger payouts than if he had directly signed for a club like United, City, RM etc.

And of course he's not vocal about where to go next, cause that would limit his options and ability to negotiate the best possible deal they can get.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
This guy wants to become the best in the world and leave the biggest possible mark on football history, and he does not worry about money. He won't be impressed by yachts, fancy cars or rolexes.
If he moves this summer, the club that can present the most interesting project and plan to him, while also being able to pay what Dortmund wants to release him, gets him.
For me, us, City and RM are the only possible options.
This is a decent summary of what I was thinking. You could easily see Madrid and/or Manchester in his future.

redshaw

Again another report saying if Dortmund don't make the CL he wants to leave. The kid doesn't want to miss the CL at all, with his goal record I can understand why. He'll aim for the best and consistent CL clubs.

Can you imagine the hysteria if he came to us costing £100m+ and we're 5th half way through next year with Raiola. The pressure and attention would be incredible and difficult and we'd be guilted into accepting a much lower fee as Haaland simply cannot miss a year.

As good as he is I don't think the club can handle or is in a position to calm such a player. Adding a few more goals papers over the huge cracks of a poor midfield and defence that can't hang with 90+ point league finishers. On one hand it's great how determined he is, would love him here and it's a huge piece of what we need but I think he's gone past us now.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Again another report saying if Dortmund don't make the CL he wants to leave. The kid doesn't want to miss the CL at all, with his goal record I can understand why. He'll aim for the best and consistent CL clubs.

Can you imagine the hysteria if he came to us costing £100m+ and we're 5th half way through next year with Raiola. The pressure and attention would be incredible and difficult and we'd be guilted into accepting a much lower fee as Haaland simply cannot miss a year.

As good as he is I don't think the club can handle or is in a position to calm such a player. Adding a few more goals papers over the huge cracks of a poor midfield and defence that can't hang with 90+ point league finishers. On one hand it's great how determined he is, would love him here and it's a huge piece of what we need but I think he's gone past us now.
We'd be grand for top 4 with him. Unfortunately, Dortmund will get top 4 handily if they dont win the CL.

troylocker

According to Sam Lee of The Athletic, City spoke to his dad 2 weeks ago and the signing has been sanctioned by higher ups at City. The wheels are in motion according to the article.
You will also find 50 sources saying that he's as good as signed for Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barca, Juve and us as well. No truth in any of them of course.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I read about his father meeting with City. I hope it is just a contingency plan in case RM does not have the money. Would love to see him at Chelsea.

dinostar77

I agree with those who have said City and Madrid as likely destinations. However you really cant rule Chelsea out. If they win the CL then that may sway his decision as it did Hazards when Chelsea beat Bayern in the final and he chose to sign for Chelsea over Utd.

troylocker

I have a suspicion that this one has more to it. It's the move that makes the most sense when you consider everything. Plus The Athletic seem quite reliable with their info.
The Athletic has tied him to us, Chelsea and City just the last few weeks, and the write several pieces on him every week. It really isn't much more in that article than the fact that City probably is interested in him. I suspect that all clubs that are interested are having talks with his people and nurtures their connections to get in a good position when he becomes available. I can assure you that Ole has had his Alfie talks as well.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I think he will go to Chelsea. I see him as someone who will move around quite a bit, play in England, Spain and Italy. If he goes to City now that is him there for the rest of his career. City do not lose players they want to keep.

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
I’m sure I read an article a week or so ago when he mentioned the clubs he’d go to - Chelsea weren’t one of them.

Missing out on him will hurt if it happens.

Haaland + a few more additions and things would be starting to look very interesting.

Can’t have that now can we? :lol:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I think he will go to Chelsea. I see him as someone who will move around quite a bit, play in England, Spain and Italy. If he goes to City now that is him there for the rest of his career. City do not lose players they want to keep.
Sane?

OleBoiii

If City gets Haaland, which sport will you start watching instead?

I regret putting all my "XP" in football. I have no plan B. I kind of like tennis, but it's just not the same...

Ventura

If City gets Haaland, which sport will you start watching instead?

I regret putting all my "XP" in football. I have no plan B. I kind of like tennis, but it's just not the same...
I'll give owl fighting a shot, I hear it's a hoot.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
This guy wants to become the best in the world and leave the biggest possible mark on football history, and he does not worry about money. He won't be impressed by yachts, fancy cars or rolexes.
If he moves this summer, the club that can present the most interesting project and plan to him, while also being able to pay what Dortmund wants to release him, gets him.
For me, us, City and RM are the only possible options. Barca can't afford him, a move to France would be a step down, a move to Italy would be a step sideways, Bayern and Liverpool won't pay 120M and Chelsea doesn't have the status or stability (14 managers in 17 years).

* City.
+ Has the strongest team, best coach and would probably destroy every competion from day 1.
- Not the same status and has a plastic image after Abu Dhabi made their entrance.

* Us.
+ We have the history and status. He has a great relationship with Ole. We have a good, young squad. Taking us back to glory would be the ultimate challenge in football.
- We can not guarantee him trophies from year 1.

* Real Madrid.
+ Status
- Old core in the squad. ZZ doesn't trust youngsters.

City has the best chances maybe, but with the right sales pitch we should have a chance too.

If Dortmund does qualify for CL next season he stays, and we can add Barca and Liverpool to the mix of possible landing spots next summer.
Do you know Haaland personally? Because it's pretty bold of you to say he does not worry about money. There's reports he's asking for 300K/week for his next contract after a season and a half. He definitely cares about money; any professional is going to want to get paid their best value possible.

I don't know how big United's chances are, but for sure they have a shot as well, but I think there are more contenders than just City, United, and Real Madrid. Don't count out Chelsea (despite the reports), PSG, Juventus, and Barcelona.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
If Messi leaves Barca, they have a lot of cash to splash, even if they are running the club to the ground.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
My reasons to believe that He can come to Madrid:
-I think Raiola is interested in the Real Madrid dressing room, once Mendes has lost all influence.
-Three sources that can be top at certain times assure that he wants to play for Madrid (Pedrerol, Félix Díaz and ABC)
-Borussia is, together with Olympique de Lyon, the elite club closest to Madrid, a good relationship from a long time ago that could help when it comes to including players (Jovic?).
-We fans repeat it every summer, but the team really needs a galáctico now. Someone has to shine in the new stadium. I think with sales, and perhaps some sacrifice they can afford.

However...
-We do not have the influence that British football has in Norway. We don't have an Ole, and his dad didn't play in our league. I don't know to what extent playing for City is important to his family, or the value that Solskjaer's word can have for him.
-If we offer 14 net and another team 16, we could fix it with image contracts, and the *status, but that works if the difference is not substantial. With 25 net + commissions maybe the club will start to sweat.
-Does Zidane want him? will Zidane continue? have they thought carefully about him, do they sincerely want him as their first choice or is Mbappe just impossible?
-I don't trust Laporta at all. Perhaps a good contact is what is necessary to convince him.

tomaldinho1

For me, us, City and RM are the only possible options. Barca can't afford him, a move to France would be a step down, a move to Italy would be a step sideways, Bayern and Liverpool won't pay 120M and Chelsea doesn't have the status or stability (14 managers in 17 years).

* City.
+ Has the strongest team, best coach and would probably destroy every competion from day 1.
- Not the same status and has a plastic image after Abu Dhabi made their entrance.

* Us.
+ We have the history and status. He has a great relationship with Ole. We have a good, young squad. Taking us back to glory would be the ultimate challenge in football.
- We can not guarantee him trophies from year 1.

* Real Madrid.
+ Status
- Old core in the squad. ZZ doesn't trust youngsters.

City has the best chances maybe, but with the right sales pitch we should have a chance too.

If Dortmund does qualify for CL next season he stays, and we can add Barca and Liverpool to the mix of possible landing spots next summer.
I feel like Real are always top pick for players these days, they still have the allure and even in not great moments remain good in the CL, even for Scandinavians who are usually very PL focused (see Odegaard). You also can't forget his dad's link to City and the fact Koeman's got Barca purring again and Messi might leave which frees up a huge amount of money for them.

I think he's going PL or LL (or Bayern) and it'll be City/Chelsea or Barca/Real. He'd genuinely be a bit mental to come here, unless he is such a huge United fan (which I don't think I've read?) that he is dead set on being the guy to bring us back to the top and would actively hinder his chances of winning things by coming here.

troylocker

Do you know Haaland personally? Because it's pretty bold of you to say he does not worry about money. There's reports he's asking for 300K/week for his next contract after a season and a half. He definitely cares about money; any professional is going to want to get paid their best value possible.

I don't know how big United's chances are, but for sure they have a shot as well, but I think there are more contenders than just City, United, and Real Madrid. Don't count out Chelsea (despite the reports), PSG, Juventus, and Barcelona.
The reasons behind that claim is from his earlier crossroads. So far in his career he has chosen development and the clubs that has presented the best plans for him. When he went to RBS he turned down Juve, offering 2x the wages he was got at RBS, and when he signed for Dortmund he turned down our 70k/week extra. I‘m sure he will earn more money than he will be able to spend, and he probably doesn’t hate money, but some athletes thinks picking the right club comes down to more than choosing the club who offers the most money. I think he will choose the club that is best suited for him from a footballing perspective, not from a money perspective. Unlike for instance Neymar....

Last edited:

passing-wind

I agree with those who have said City and Madrid as likely destinations. However you really cant rule Chelsea out. If they win the CL then that may sway his decision as it did Hazards when Chelsea beat Bayern in the final and he chose to sign for Chelsea over Utd.
It's a hard choice however when it comes to competitiveness City are still a level above us and Chelsea. What's more threatening is unless we have a massive summer Chelsea will make strides ahead of us. Tuchel seems far more focused for success compared to Ole. Solskjaer's relationship with Haaland seems to have no bearing either.

I also think City is a slight risk for his development in terms of what Pep will ask of him. Lewandowski from what I can remember spoke about pep's expectations exceeding that of just scoring goals but contribution to play.

troylocker

I feel like Real are always top pick for players these days, they still have the allure and even in not great moments remain good in the CL, even for Scandinavians who are usually very PL focused (see Odegaard). You also can't forget his dad's link to City and the fact Koeman's got Barca purring again and Messi might leave which frees up a huge amount of money for them.

I think he's going PL or LL (or Bayern) and it'll be City/Chelsea or Barca/Real. He'd genuinely be a bit mental to come here, unless he is such a huge United fan (which I don't think I've read?) that he is dead set on being the guy to bring us back to the top and would actively hinder his chances of winning things by coming here.
You’re not a Manchester United fan or a big fan of Ole are you?

tomaldinho1

You’re not a Manchester United fan or a big fan of Ole are you?
Look at it as if you were a neutral and non biased. I'm a huge United fan but I like to think I can be non red lensed on here.
  1. Which club is most likely to win trophies in the PL?
  2. Which club is most likely to win the CL?
  3. Which clubs have had players win the Balon D'Or most regularly?
  4. Which clubs have had strikers regularly win the golden boot?

troylocker

Look at it as if you were a neutral and non biased. I'm a huge United fan but I like to think I can be non red lensed on here.
  1. Which club is most likely to win trophies in the PL?
  2. Which club is most likely to win the CL?
  3. Which clubs have had players win the Balon D'Or most regularly?
  4. Which clubs have had strikers regularly win the golden boot?
Let’s look at the trophy cabinets of our two biggest English rivals to his signature:

1st division/ EPL trophies:
Manchester United 20
Chelsea 6
City 6

Champions league trophies:
Manchester United 3
Chelsea 1
City 0

FA Cup:
Manchester United 12
Chelsea 8
City 6

Ballon d’ors:
Manchester United 4
Chelsea 0
City 0

PL golden boots:
Manchester United 5
Chelsea 3
City 1

Biggest fanbase, biggest Stadium, our History, Munchen ‘58 and we’re not owned by oilmoney from countries who don’t care too much about human rights. Add to that, we have a manager who is Norwegian, knows him well, has coached him before and whom he likes and respects.

It’s not as crazy as you think.....

Last edited:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
My reasons to believe that He can come to Madrid:
-I think Raiola is interested in the Real Madrid dressing room, once Mendes has lost all influence.
-Three sources that can be top at certain times assure that he wants to play for Madrid (Pedrerol, Félix Díaz and ABC)
-Borussia is, together with Olympique de Lyon, the elite club closest to Madrid, a good relationship from a long time ago that could help when it comes to including players (Jovic?).
-We fans repeat it every summer, but the team really needs a galáctico now. Someone has to shine in the new stadium. I think with sales, and perhaps some sacrifice they can afford.

However...
-We do not have the influence that British football has in Norway. We don't have an Ole, and his dad didn't play in our league. I don't know to what extent playing for City is important to his family, or the value that Solskjaer's word can have for him.
-If we offer 14 net and another team 16, we could fix it with image contracts, and the *status, but that works if the difference is not substantial. With 25 net + commissions maybe the club will start to sweat.
-Does Zidane want him? will Zidane continue? have they thought carefully about him, do they sincerely want him as their first choice or is Mbappe just impossible?
-I don't trust Laporta at all. Perhaps a good contact is what is necessary to convince him.
You forgot to mention that we have Ødegaard! Not playing for us currently before this season started I thought of it as an advantage but it can be tricky now with how his relationship with Zidane is not the best. The continuity of Zidane is also something uncertain but keeping him could also be the difference in signing someone like Mbappe so I'm sure he still has a strong pull and everyone is expecting the team to make some Galactico signings soon.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Why on Earth would he come to United when he could go to Real and be guaranteed CL football for the rest of his career which is what he wants (CL football)

We wont be signing him or any top talent we just dont have as much pull as we used to unfortunately.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We'd be grand for top 4 with him. Unfortunately, Dortmund will get top 4 handily if they dont win the CL.
Dortmund's next league match will be huge. They play the team currently in 4th and they are already 4 points behind them. If they lose they are suddenly 7 points outside the top four with only 7 matches to go. Even a draw might not be good enough for them.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
According to Sam Lee of The Athletic, City spoke to his dad 2 weeks ago and the signing has been sanctioned by higher ups at City. The wheels are in motion according to the article.
Raiola likes this.

Green_Red

Let’s look at the trophy cabinets of our two biggest English rivals to his signature:

1st division/ EPL trophies:
Manchester United 20
Chelsea 6
City 6

Champions league trophies:
Manchester United 3
Chelsea 1
City 0

FA Cup:
Manchester United 12
Chelsea 8
City 6

Ballon d’ors:
Manchester United 4
Chelsea 0
City 0

PL golden boots:
Manchester United 5
Chelsea 3
City 1

Biggest fanbase, biggest Stadium, our History, Munchen ‘58 and we’re not owned by oilmoney from countries who don’t care too much about human rights. Add to that, we have a manager who is Norwegian, knows him well, has coached him before and whom he likes and respects.

It’s not as crazy as you think.....
Unless he is a United supporter, which he isn't, history means feck all and has zero influence on decision making.

rk4utd

I’m old skool United through and through - I used to get in the ground 1 1/2 hours before KO to savour the atmosphere - and if I had his talent would play for the club even if I won chuff all for the rest of my career just to wear the red shirt and play at OT every other week.....

In the ‘real world’ outside my fantasy he won’t sign for us - it would have been plausible under the last few years under Ferguson (van Persie) but, seriously if he and his advisers watch United regularly they will know that we create virtually nothing for our centre forwards from central or wide and we are constantly looking for a mix in midfield that will allow us to defend high and still be secure when in transition. Our forwards live on scraps as a result in a lot of games and not just against the better teams unfortunately.

As a forward who clearly lives to score rather than ‘quite likes it, but not too bothered if it doesn’t happen’ (Rashford/Martial) then there will be at least 5 more attractive options on the table - heck, even Bellingham turned us down and at 18/19 would still walk into our midfield.

It’s very depressing and unlikely to change any time soon - but you never know I guess.... we’ll cling on to that thought until his decision is announced in the next few months....

Status
Not open for further replies.