Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Anyone else starting to get the feeling he’ll be a prima donna? He’s already showing signs he’ll be a handful for a manager at least.

Judas

Open to offers
Honestly not really, and I don't get why people seem to be wanting to paint the narrative that he's going to chase the money, instead of simply choosing the best club for him to play football at.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Honestly not really, and I don't get why people seem to be wanting to paint the narrative that he's going to chase the money, instead of simply choosing the best club for him to play football at.
I agree, he will go where is best for him football wise.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Anyone else starting to get the feeling he’ll be a prima donna? He’s already showing signs he’ll be a handful for a manager at least.
Has a similar mentality to CR7 and thats a good thing

rotherham_red

I think the ship has sailed on Haaland unfortunately. We should have got him before he went to the Youth World Cup, when as far as I can recall, we were the only big club who knew about him. As soon as he went into overdrive there, it was over as far a I was concerned.

Not too fussed though, as we do have Greenwood.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think much of that is because of the agent he employs.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Has a similar mentality to CR7 and thats a good thing
He’s extremely vocal of his complaints, and not in a positive way. He’s only been around a couple of years and already like that? Could be a bad sign, and he’d have plenty to complain about here.

Maybe it would be a good thing, but it could also easily cause problems.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He can have both

BarstoolProphet

He’s extremely vocal of his complaints, and not in a positive way. He’s only been around a couple of years and already like that? Could be a bad sign, and he’d have plenty to complain about here.

He's been like that since his youth days and you struggle to find a former coach/manager who says anything bad about working with him.

ShinjiNinja26

It’s probably some sort of coping mechanism for folk when he most likely doesn’t end up at Utd they can just paint it like “oh well he’s just fecked off to xx club chasing the money”.

BarstoolProphet

What you say is very interesting and certainly gives good insight into what to expect from Haaland's future.

However what I have heard from some sources in the last few weeks introduces new variables that I think many people on this forum do not seem to contemplate.

Having said this, one of the main reservations I have is that you never know what might happen with Raiola being in the middle of all the negotiations, so I guess it's better to wait and see if theses variables were spot on, or just some tricks in the poker game the agent might be playing again.
Which variables are you talking about?

The Spanish press' coverage of the Norwegian camp in Marbella has garnered a lot of attention in Norway, they wonder if it's a sign of it being a real possibility that he will sign for one of the big two or if it just their mouthpieces being delusional about their club's chances of signing him. Personally I don't see Spain as an option unless Real manages to convince both Ødegaard and Haaland to spearhead Real's future together.

Wilt

Yes he seems to let everyone know when he’s not happy. Also has a big ego, although that doesn’t bother me.

I can imagine him exploding at team players who he deems not to be putting in a shift (one or two certainly spring to mind at Utd), and agreed all of which could cause problems, and also agreed in Utd‘s case it may be a good thing.

troylocker

I think the ship has sailed on Haaland unfortunately. We should have got him before he went to the Youth World Cup, when as far as I can recall, we were the only big club who knew about him. As soon as he went into overdrive there, it was over as far a I was concerned.

Every big club in Europe already had their scouts on him long before that. As far as I'm concerned City are favourites and we're not behind anyone else in the picking order after them. Greenwood has a lot to prove.....

Mason for Manchester United:
22 goals and 9 assists in 4959 minutes, 225 minutes per goal, 160 minutes per G/A.
As a CF: 6 goals and 3 goals in 1605 minutes, 268 minutes per goal, 178 minutes per G/A.
This season:
5 goals and 5 assists in 2249 minutes, 459 minutes per goal, 225 minutes per G/A.

Haaland for Dortmund:
49 goals and 11 assists in 3929 minutes, 80 minutes per goal, 65 minutes per G/A.
This season:
33 goals and 8 assists in 2642 minues, 80 minutes per goal, 64 minutes per G/A.

In other words: for every goal Greenwood scores Haaland would give you 2,5 to 3 with the same time on the pitch.
As much as I love Mason, he's just not on the same planet as Haaland.

theklr

He wouldnt have gone to us back then, because him and his family does good decisions as someone said.

And by that I mean decisions that are optimal for his developent.

dinostar77

Every big club in Europe already had their scouts on him long before that. As far as I'm concerned City are favourites and we're not behind anyone else in the picking order after them. Greenwood has a lot to prove.....

22 goals and 9 assists in 4959 minutes, 225 minutes per goal, 160 minutes per G/A.
As a CF: 6 goals and 3 goals in 1605 minutes, 268 minutes per goal, 178 minutes per G/A.
This season:
5 goals and 5 assists in 2249 minutes, 459 minutes per goal, 225 minutes per G/A.

Haaland for Dortmund:
49 goals and 11 assists in 3929 minutes, 80 minutes per goal, 65 minutes per G/A.
This season:

In other words: for every goal Greenwood scores Haaland would give you 2,5 to 3 with the same time on the pitch.
Thats harsh, play haaland on the right wing for this utd team and see what his numbers are like. Completely unfair comparison.

troylocker

Thats harsh, play haaland on the right wing for this utd team and see what his numbers are like. Completely unfair comparison.
Greenwood has played 1605 minutes as a #9 for us and scored 6 and assisted 3 in that posistion, as mentioned. He's actually been more productive on the right for us.
Haaland is a year older as well, but the comparison is mostly unfair because the gap in quality and end product is so enormous.

Odin

There will be protests against the improper working conditions for migrant workers in Qatar, after a unanimous group of players get behind their newly appointed manager of the Norwegian national team. Protests will be clear to see for viewers of the game against Gibraltar this evening. (Source: Norwegian magazine 'Dagbladet')
For some reason, this makes me feel like a green, frog-like hand doll... go figure!

Theo88

Everyone is salivating on the Norwegian, but I have a feeling he ends up in Barcelona and Mbappe ends up with Real.

Or vice verca. They are the next Messi and Ronaldo. Real always looking for fluff over substance are more likely to be drawn by Mbappe but obviously the Frenchman is a beast of a player too.

That ship has sailed. Sancho is more realistic of a target

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That ship has sailed. Sancho is more realistic of a target
Probably the better and more important choice out of the two anyways, I don't see Haaland coming to United and keeping up his level of efficiency or impact. Add him to Sancho being at United, then we're talking. The ideal scenario would be Dortmund manage to make the top 4, United get Sancho this summer, and Haaland the next.

What? It could happen!

rotherham_red

This season:

Haaland for Dortmund:
This season:

Put Mason in the Austrian and German leagues and he'd clean up too. It's really not the same. Also, one has predominantly played off the RW, and the other has been a CF.

dinostar77

Greenwood has played 1605 minutes as a #9 for us and scored 6 and assisted 3 in that posistion, as mentioned. He's actually been more productive on the right for us.
Haaland is a year older as well, but the comparison is mostly unfair because the gap in quality and end product is so enormous.
The comparision is unfair due to the quality of the teams in germany. On paper Haaland plays for the second best team in the league and the team try to find him when they attack at every opportunity. Not the case with greenwood at Utd. The sycophantic haaland bridge are gonna be so disappointed when he signs for someone other than utd. You'd think there are no strikers in Europe good enough to play no9 for Utd other than wonderboy "greatest striker in history" haaland.

troylocker

Put Mason in the Austrian and German leagues and he'd clean up too. It's really not the same. Also, one has predominantly played off the RW, and the other has been a CF.
He'd definitely get good numbers in Austria, but he's done nothing to indicate he would clean up in Germany. I gave you Masons numbers as a CF for us, they are not very impressive. If you believe Mason would have 49 goals and assist 11 in his first 3929 minutes in Germany including CL I can't help you.

troylocker

The comparision is unfair due to the quality of the teams in germany. On paper Haaland plays for the second best team in the league and the team try to find him when they attack at every opportunity. Not the case with greenwood at Utd. The sycophantic haaland bridge are gonna be so disappointed when he signs for someone other than utd. You'd think there are no strikers in Europe good enough to play no9 for Utd other than wonderboy "greatest striker in history" haaland.
Does it count for anything that his stats in the CL and against the top 2 teams in Germany (Bayern and Leipzig) are better than his average goal- or G/A-ratio or that he so far in his career has scored a goal per 90 for Norway as well?
CL: 54 minutes per goal, 49 minutes per G/A
Against Bayern and Leipzig: 59 minutes per goal, 52 minutes per G/A

...or that he has the best goalratio and G/A ratio in all competitions in the world since the start of last season (for players playing in top flights around the world).

1. Haaland: 70 minutes/goal - 57 minutes per G/A - Excluding penalties: 76 minutes/goal - 61 minutes per G/A
2. Lewandowski: 74 minutes/goal - 62 minutes per G/A - Excluding penalties: 87 minutes/goal - 72 minutes per G/A

Honorable mentions:
Mbappe: 91 minutes/goal - 63 minutes per G/A - Excluding penalties: 105 minutes/goal - 69 minutes per G/A
Messi: 118 minutes/goal - 71 minutes per G/A - Excluding penalties: 145 minutes/goal - 80 minutes per G/A
CR7: 104 minutes/goal - 89 minutes per G/A - Excluding penalties: 148 minutes/goal - 120 minutes per G/A
Kane: 122 minutes/goal - 90 minutes per G/A - Excluding penalties: 152 minutes/goal - 105 minutes per G/A

That's two open play goals for every goal Messi, Ronaldo or Kane scores that is not a penalty (they also take direct freekicks). Another funfact is that he also has the same number of assists since the start of last season as Harry Kane (18).

You can downplay it all you want, but Haaland is the real deal and miles better than what we have.

There is definitely other strikers good enough for United, just not as good as him. When we know he will be available this summer or the next, it'd be criminal not to try and sign him. If that doesn't work out, sign the 2nd or 3rd choice, but not before we went all out for Haaland first. I'd rather try and get disapointed than not try.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

@troylocker I think I was speaking to you in this earlier in the week but Haaland (as part of the national team) is making a big show of Norway boycotting Qatar due to human rights violations so City surely becomes very difficult. Hope springs eternal.

He'd be fighting the good fight if he came here, maybe that's bigger than trophies to him!

troylocker

@troylocker I think I was speaking to you in this earlier in the week but Haaland (as part of the national team) is making a big show of Norway boycotting Qatar due to human rights violations so City surely becomes very difficult. Hope springs eternal.

He'd be fighting the good fight if he came here, maybe that's bigger than trophies to him!
Thanks! Good to see that people actually care about other people.
Let’s hope we haven’t won our last trophy though ;)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
There’s something incredibly sick and twisted about a human rights message delivered in Comic Sans

troylocker

I think it's a romantic notion that doesn't seem to be borne out be real world examples - look how few players (or other people in football) want to take a stand against the WC being held in Qatar. A few, but they are noticeable by just how small a minority they are

There is a discussion perhaps to be had about the role of football in politics/world affairs, in relation to which there is much hypocrisy

However most players seem to want to stay out of all that
Still 100% he doesn’t care about who owns and runs your club?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
There’s something incredibly sick and twisted about a human rights message delivered in Comic Sans
I think that is the poor image quality and the folds of the shirts making it appear that way, not actually Comic Sans. I’ll need a first tier source on that though.

Andersonson

He's in a position where he can choose between the elite clubs in every top footballing country.
Juventus
PSG
Real /Barcelona
Manchester United/City
Bayer Munich.

Thats quite insane. And he'll be a starter for everyone of them.

My bet is Real or City

passing-wind

This season:

Haaland for Dortmund:
This season:

I agree fundamentally however Dortmund in Germany and United is completely different.

432JuanMata

I agree fundamentally however Dortmund in Germany and United is completely different.
Though I get your point 20 CL goals in 14 games(the record was 24 games before) including goals against Napoli, Liverpool, PSG Lazio etc, shows he would most likely do it everywhere

manutddjw

If Sancho taught us anything, Dortmund will cut off their nose to spite their face just to flex in the media that they won’t be bullied. I can easily see them holding onto Haaland for one more year which helps us because we’ll legit have the money to compete the following summer because I don’t think we have it this summer.

I think we actually have a decent shot at him especially if Dortmund makes him stay another season which I think they will.

432JuanMata

If Sancho taught us anything, Dortmund will cut off their nose to spite their face just to flex in the media that they won’t be bullied. I can easily see them holding onto Haaland for one more year which helps us because we’ll legit have the money to compete the following summer because I don’t think we have it this summer.

I think we actually have a decent shot at him especially if Dortmund makes him stay another season which I think they will.
It won’t help us though as he will have a release clause that every top team can afford. Unless we are pulling up trees in the league and CL next season he will go elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.