Ethan Laird | Bournemouth loan watch

United in sin

This is why I always find the caf hilarious when they say we should be playing players doing well at underage level etc.
It’s a different ball game stepping up to professional football at this level
This doesn't apply to every talented young player obviously.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Ethan Laird starts in the Ethan Laird derby today.

He's played feck all since joining Bournemouth - I think due to injuries?

Hopefully he does well today anyway.

flameinthesun

Ethan Laird starts in the Ethan Laird derby today.

He's played feck all since joining Bournemouth - I think due to injuries?

Hopefully he does well today anyway.
Think this is his 3rd start in a row, so finally has broken through it seems which is good for us. Would have been better if he got more games since joining, still its good to know that he's kept his head down and gotten into the team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Annoying they put this game on at the same time as the CL.

Good for him getting a few starts in a row, shame it happened this late in the season though.

Marwood

I'm hoping its a case of Parker drilling into him that his first job is defending before trusting him to start.

I watched him in U23's and its not that he can't defend. He just looked like a player not interested in defending.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don't know where to watch this. Can anyone cry for me and send me their bottled tears? Thanks.

Varun1

So how did he play? I see he lasted the whole game, so couldn't have been that bad.
Also, saw Brady came on for Bournemouth, is that ex-United Brady?

pascell

So how did he play? I see he lasted the whole game, so couldn't have been that bad.
Not sure you're Laird played but given Bournemouth went 3-0 down and he stayed on, must mean Parker has full faith in him

It was Robbie Brady yeah.

Mickson

From Dorset Live, but maybe Parker saw things differently.

Ethan Laird - 4

Laird was targeted in the first half by his former club, who were so discernibly prepared to exploit his defensive shortcomings. The right-back toiled throughout, struggling in his 1v1 battles and looking confused in what Parker and his coaching staff were asking of him.

In the second half, Laird moved into a third centre back, but that failed to stop the look of anxiousness in his body language and decision making all evening.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He has been quite highly rated by the fan base hasn't he?

Was he killing it in the youth/reserve level?

Kramer

High hopes for this lad.

If he’s not in the running to be in the 1st team next year, we probably need to urgently invest in an RB as well.

The thought of Dalot or AWB being first choice RB for the whole season is something I’m really dreading.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He has been quite highly rated by the fan base hasn't he?

Was he killing it in the youth/reserve level?
Was outstanding at youth level, wasn't quite a Greenwood level talent but wasn't a million miles away.

Marwood

With his history of injuries he's not one we can count on next season. Should consider him a bonus if he's around and available.

Kramer

So it seems we are not in the market for a right back.

Watching either of AWB or Dalot at RB makes me cringe. They’re both shite at football for different reasons.

Has anyone followed Laird consistently through his loan spells last season? Is he good enough to challenge for a starting spot?

Or is it another loan for him this year in which case we’re resigned to using AWB/Dalot :(

GDaly95

He came in and played a bit towards the end of the season for Bournemouth didn't he? Does anyone know how he played in those games?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Watching either of AWB or Dalot at RB makes me cringe. They’re both shite at football for different reasons.

Has anyone followed Laird consistently through his loan spells last season? Is he good enough to challenge for a starting spot?

Or is it another loan for him this year in which case we’re resigned to using AWB/Dalot :(
Why do you say we are not in the market for a RB? Reports have suggested we are if we can sell AWB who has been told he can leave and there has been interest

croadyman

Feel we would be if only there was someone willing to sign AWB rather than just a fecking loan

Kramer

Why do you say we are not in the market for a RB? Reports have suggested we are if we can sell AWB who has been told he can leave and there has been interest
I’d love to believe we are. Haven’t seen any links to RB’s thus far. Also, we seem to be terrible at selling players.

All in all, based on the pace of our transfers, how we’ve fared in past windows, our limited budget and clearly other priorities In the squad to address, seems we may not get a new RB in.

Hence the question - has Laird developed enough to stake a claim?

croadyman

I’d love to believe we are. Haven’t seen any links to RB’s thus far. Also, we seem to be terrible at selling players.

All in all, based on the pace of our transfers, how we’ve fared in past windows, our limited budget and clearly other priorities In the squad to address, seems we may not get a new RB in.

I would rather give him a go than hope Ten Hag can magically turn AWB into marauding RB's

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

We have been linked with Dumfries, and Timber (who can play RB)
Of course though I don't expect AWB to be at United next season, even if its a loan, so maybe if Laird impresses in pre season we don't pull the trigger on a RB

Bwuk

It'd be stupid to expect Laird to come in as a starter next season, especially immediately. He barely played for Bournemouth, and played wingback at Swansea.

IRN-BRUno

He came in and played a bit towards the end of the season for Bournemouth didn't he? Does anyone know how he played in those games?
Ratings/comments from local news website;

26th Feb vs Stoke
Ethan Laird (Smith 74') - 6
Was positive in his work and looked to get to the byline. Helped completely pin Stoke's makeshift left wing-back Sam Clucas back.

5th March vs Preston
Ethan Laird (Smith 68') - 6
Really positive after coming on, with Ryan Christie's simultaneous introduction dovetailing well with Laird's strengths. Christie would cut in and Laird would overlap. But chances to do this on a regular basis proved problematic, with Preston gaining more of the ball as the game wore on.

15th April vs Middlesbrough
Ethan Laird - 6
Considering it was his first start, Laird started the game really well, notably making a crucial interception when tucking round to cover Nat Phillips and regularly running behind Middlesbrough's high line without the ball. Laird did start to become ragged in possession and defending one against one as the game wore on. But the full-back retained his brightness and threat going forward. A solid start given the circumstances.

18th April vs Coventry
Ethan Laird - 7
In a backline discernibly shaky in the first half, Laird looked the most composed, dribbling past players and bypassing Coventry pressure. Opportunities to attack were fleeting but he dealt with the threat of Ian Maatsen well. Was brought off as Parker opted to further tighten his backline.

23rd April vs Fulham
Ethan Laird - 6
Was restricted going forward but demonstrated solid defensive acumen to keep Neeskens Kebano quiet.

26th April vs Swansea
Ethan Laird - 4
Laird was targeted in the first half by his former club, who were so discernibly prepared to exploit his defensive shortcomings. The right-back toiled throughout, struggling in his 1v1 battles and looking confused in what Parker and his coaching staff were asking of him.
In the second half, Laird moved into a third centre back, but that failed to stop the look of anxiousness in his body language and decision making all evening.

GDaly95

Ratings/comments from local news website;

26th Feb vs Stoke
Ethan Laird (Smith 74') - 6
Was positive in his work and looked to get to the byline. Helped completely pin Stoke's makeshift left wing-back Sam Clucas back.

5th March vs Preston
Ethan Laird (Smith 68') - 6
Really positive after coming on, with Ryan Christie's simultaneous introduction dovetailing well with Laird's strengths. Christie would cut in and Laird would overlap. But chances to do this on a regular basis proved problematic, with Preston gaining more of the ball as the game wore on.

15th April vs Middlesbrough
Ethan Laird - 6
Considering it was his first start, Laird started the game really well, notably making a crucial interception when tucking round to cover Nat Phillips and regularly running behind Middlesbrough's high line without the ball. Laird did start to become ragged in possession and defending one against one as the game wore on. But the full-back retained his brightness and threat going forward. A solid start given the circumstances.

18th April vs Coventry
Ethan Laird - 7
In a backline discernibly shaky in the first half, Laird looked the most composed, dribbling past players and bypassing Coventry pressure. Opportunities to attack were fleeting but he dealt with the threat of Ian Maatsen well. Was brought off as Parker opted to further tighten his backline.

23rd April vs Fulham
Ethan Laird - 6
Was restricted going forward but demonstrated solid defensive acumen to keep Neeskens Kebano quiet.

26th April vs Swansea
Ethan Laird - 4
Thanks! Not overly encouraging but I suppose he was just back from injury.

mu4c_20le

Like Axel he's missed out on a lot of football through injury. We'll need to be patient with him and keep expectations reasonable.