Ethan Williams

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
17-year old winger, the U18s player of the year in 2022/23,, in my opinion. 7 goals and 9 assists last season. Signed from Rochdale in 2019.

One of the most two-footed players I’ve seen at academy level. Tricky, fast player with a very good cross on him. Works very hard too, helped out as a LWB towards the end of last season.

Won a penalty, scored one and assisted two today against Boro. Inside the opening 43 minutes.

macheda14

17-year old winger, the U18s player of the year in 2022/23,, in my opinion. 7 goals and 9 assists last season. Signed from Rochdale in 2019.

One of the most two-footed players I’ve seen at academy level. Tricky, fast player with a very good cross on him. Works very hard too, helped out as a LWB towards the end of last season.

Won a penalty, scored one and assisted two today against Boro. Inside the opening 43 minutes.

Can he play on both wings or is he predominantly LW?

top1whoisman

Scout
Can he play on both wings or is he predominantly LW?
He’s so good with both feet I’m sure he would be just fine on the right too, cutting inside and using his ”better” foot to curl those dangerous balls in.

I’ve mostly seem him as a LW or LB/LWB though. Totally dominates that left flank as he tracks back and helps out in defense too.

macheda14

He’s so good with both feet I’m sure he would be just fine on the right too, cutting inside and using his ”better” foot to curl those dangerous balls in.

I’ve mostly seem him as a LW or LB/LWB though. Totally dominates that left flank as he tracks back and helps out in defense too.
Thanks. Slightly disappointed to hear that as our left is too stacked! Hopefully he offers a lot as a defensive option / could do a great job on the right.

top1whoisman

Scout
Thanks. Slightly disappointed to hear that as our left is too stacked! Hopefully he offers a lot as a defensive option / could do a great job on the right.
If a player is good enough they'll find a way to become a first team player. There's still a long way to go for him so who knows how our team will look like in a few years and what position he'll be best at.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's looks a excellent prospect. He's actually two footed so I wouldn't worry too much about him playing playing either side. When I first watched him I couldn't figure out if he's was left or right footed. And then I came across the below tweet and things made a lot of sense.

And being two footed is a huge advantage on top of having a big goal threat due to his ability to combine his pace with his dribbling ability on the wing. Ethan Williams is a good prospect and definitely one to keep an eye on in the years to come.

khoazany

If/when we send Emeran and Shola out on loan I expect him to feature extensively for the U21s.

Red Rash

Most Man Utd youth player name ever. Feels like all our young players are called Ethan Williams.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He looks a serious talent, definitely one to keep your eye on.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
To be fair, it’s an away game. So they’re using Boro’s crappy camera gantries.
Exactly, nothing MUTV can do about it.
Fair enough then if this one isn't on them!

I guess I'm just somehow shocked every pre-season by how much of a rinky dink operation it is for the media wing of a six billion dollar enterprise.

mat85

You would have thought management would want a better angle for game analysis afterwards

top1whoisman

Scout
171 minutes played (73 in the U18s, 98 in the U21s)
3 goals
3 assists
3 penalties won

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This lad's shaping up to be a serious talent, he's taken to the U21s like a duck to water.

khoazany

Wouldn't read too much about it since many of the U21s/18s trained with the first team today before their match in Scotland.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Most Man Utd youth player name ever. Feels like all our young players are called Ethan Williams.
Was saying a while back that we seemed to have a random Ethan spell in the kids. Laird, Williams, Wheatley.

spenzo

I know academy players train with the first team all the time but it seems like he’s been with them a fair bit in recent weeks.

Interesting to see if he gets into a match day squad anytime soon. With the amount of injuries we’ve been getting he’s probably only 1 or 2 more away from having to be involved. Would bet on him to take his chance too.

top1whoisman

Scout
In top form again. Goal, two assists and perhaps another half assist for Wheatley’s goal. Dangerous corners as always.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, he was really impressive again.

I did ask during the game, but posts get overlooked during that time - how is Williams performing when he steps up to the U21's?

He always looks quality at U18 level, and has the ability that he should look good with the U21's as well. But it's hard to see much footage of that age group nowadays, as the matches are rarely on live. He's 18 now, and has been impressing with the U18's for some time. Hopefully he's also showing something with the U21's?

top1whoisman

Scout
Yeah, he was really impressive again.

I did ask during the game, but posts get overlooked during that time - how is Williams performing when he steps up to the U21's?

He always looks quality at U18 level, and has the ability that he should look good with the U21's as well. But it's hard to see much footage of that age group nowadays, as the matches are rarely on live. He's 18 now, and has been impressing with the U18's for some time. Hopefully he's also showing something with the U21's?
He had a couple of very good games in the beginning of the season, but as you said lately it’s been impossible to judge anyone unless you’re at the stadiums seeing them live. He was one of our best players in the UYL for what it’s worth.

I think it’s smart to keep on changing the level for this season between U18s and U21s. Should be one of our key players in the PL2 next season. Too early for a loan in my opinion. And to me he looks like a player who, if he makes it, could go the Rashford/MG/Garnacho route in terms of not going on loan at all.

saik

He had a couple of very good games in the beginning of the season, but as you said lately it’s been impossible to judge anyone unless you’re at the stadiums seeing them live. He was one of our best players in the UYL for what it’s worth.

I think it’s smart to keep on changing the level for this season between U18s and U21s. Should be one of our key players in the PL2 next season. Too early for a loan in my opinion. And to me he looks like a player who, if he makes it, could go the Rashford/MG/Garnacho route in terms of not going on loan at all.
He did play with first team as well in the preseason hasn't he? Or am I confusing him with Forson? Hopefully doesn't go the same away as Rashford and Garnacho in becoming super greedy for goals.

Bertie Wooster

Thanks for that. :)

And I fully agree with all of the 2nd paragraph - rotating between U18/19/21 is good for this season. Then, next season, definitely should be starting as our main U21 wide man. And, as you say, it's a possibility that, if he carries on developing nicely, he could get a chance without needing a loan. With his directness, two-footedness, and threat with shots, crosses and delivering set pieces, then he's definitely someone I'd like to see get given some opportunities if he carries on performing well over the next 12 months or so.

KevinJoh

He did not play in preseason, probably mixed him with Emeran.

He played a lot for U21 and U19 at the start of the season, and he was not out of place. Scored a few goals, but he was not dominant in games I could see. It is normal, and it is good that he is there as a squad member at this stage and probably key player next year when he grow his muscles a little bit. At U18 he is dominant, in my opinion one of the best in the league in his position.

I am sure I saw him even playing left back in a few games, not sure when, but he was solid in that role as well.

top1whoisman

Scout
He did not play in preseason, probably mixed him with Emeran.

He played a lot for U21 and U19 at the start of the season, and he was not out of place. Scored a few goals, but he was not dominant in games I could see. It is normal, and it is good that he is there as a squad member at this stage and probably key player next year when he grow his muscles a little bit. At U18 he is dominant, in my opinion one of the best in the league in his position.

I am sure I saw him even playing left back in a few games, not sure when, but he was solid in that role as well.
We experimented 352 at the end of last season and he was brilliant as a LWB.

top1whoisman

Scout
A goal every 108 minutes in all comps, U21/U19/U18. A goal or assist every 67 minutes.

A goal every 61 minutes in the PL2 in his first season with the U21s.

Edit: Also won at least penalties.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Another two goals and one assist today.

Bertie Wooster

Another two goals and one assist today.
Yeah, just posted in the miscellaneous reserve thread that he mostly gets overlooked in the conversations about either current kids in and amongst the first team, or future young talent coming through (Lacey, Amass, etc).

He seems to fall in neither group and so doesn't get too much of a mention. But he seems to have plenty about him and is one I've got hopes for if he keeps on progressing as he is.

khoazany

He reminds of Garnacho at this level in terms of how he's constantly running like he has an endless engine and being such a goal threat.