EURO 2004 Portugal - England

Scarecrow

Having a week off
If you are in the mood for some classic football highlights - here's one of my favorite international games:

Last edited:

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Damn Rui Costa's goal was spectacular

Robertd0803

Watching Ronaldo vs Ashley Cole that game is just exhausting enough on its own.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Best penalty shootout in football history

Beckham and Rui Costa skying their penalties -> Postiga panenka -> Ricardo saves penalty without gloves -> Ricardo scores winning penalty

Postiga would have been crucified if that had been saved, still can't believe he had the balls to do that.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
England Portugal rivalry was great. Euro 2000, 2004, 2006.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Watching Ronaldo vs Ashley Cole that game is just exhausting enough on its own.
To this day I'll never understand how Cole didn't even get a yellow card in that entire game. Made like 7 fouls and no yellow.

He was a truly incredible player though, don't think there's been a more complete leftback since.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
BBC two are showing whole load of euro games for next month. This is on in next 7 days. Also got some classics not involving home nations. Spain Yugoslavia from 2000 is on tomorrow and the brilliant Czech-Dutch game from 2004 is on Thursday.

Robertd0803

To this day I'll never understand how Cole didn't even get a yellow card in that entire game. Made like 7 fouls and no yellow.

He was a truly incredible player though, don't think there's been a more complete leftback since.
I think that was back in the stage of not ever booking anyone who fouled Ronaldo from referees.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Heart breaking game. Campbell’s disallowed goal in ET was hard to take as well.

United58

Crazy how good that England lineup was - Beckham, Scholes and Rooney alone the first 3 out of the tunnel! There's a great group coming through now but they'll be hard pressed to be as good as those players were. England as a team will be much better though, the rigid 4-4-2 of the 00s and early 10s was way too stifling

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Very frustrating tournament for England. Pissing away the game v France then 2 games where they were brilliant, followed by the heartbreak in that Portugal game. I always forget how late Portugal equalised in that game.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
After Becks in 98, Neville in 00, this was the final nail for me for England. I wanted Ronnie to score his penalty. Everything he deserved, England deserved and Rooney deserved

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I always remember Ricardo taking his gloves off for the shootout. I don't think I've seen anyone else do that.

United58

On the paper yes.....but the midfield Beckham/Lampard/Gerrard/Scholes hasn't worked......no Hargreaves in the starting XI was a big mistake.
Hargreaves-Scholes midfield, Joe Cole left and Beckham right. Rooney behind Owen. Lampard and Gerrard were fantastic players, but trying to shoehorn two attacking midfielders into central midfield ruined that Golden Generation

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
After Becks in 98, Neville in 00, this was the final nail for me for England. I wanted Ronnie to score his penalty. Everything he deserved, England deserved and Rooney deserved
Wrong tournament?

SambaBoy

I was at this game! The atmosphere in the stadium changed completely when Rooney was taken off injured.
Yeah even watching it on TV, you felt deflated especially when the replacement was Vassell. Portugal grew in confidence and could push higher up the pitch. We couldn't hold the ball up or didn't look dangerous on the attack.

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
Hargreaves-Scholes midfield, Joe Cole left and Beckham right. Rooney behind Owen. Lampard and Gerrard were fantastic players, but trying to shoehorn two attacking midfielders into central midfield ruined that Golden Generation
I'm not sure about Lampard, but Gerrard was definitely not regarded as an attacking midfielder in 2004. He was thought of as a Keane/Vieira type rather. Wrong, obviously, but that was pretty much everyone's conception of what type of player he was.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Funny how similar Owen's goal was to the 2002 elimination game

Sylar

Yeah even watching it on TV, you felt deflated especially when the replacement was Vassell. Portugal grew in confidence and could push higher up the pitch. We couldn't hold the ball up or didn't look dangerous on the attack.
Yeah, didnt understand why we didnt put Lampard or Scholes behind the striker and get in an extra midfielder. Vassell basically changed everything and put us on the back foot from that moment on.

I was surprised that England equalised in extra time after going 2-1 down though.

fps

Yes, and I think the way football has gone, if these players were all available now, Hargreaves and Scholes would certainly be in the team. Presumably it would be a 4-3-3 of some kind of course.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
It’s a side note really but I absolutely hate videos with commentary like that. I would rather have no commentary at all than post-recorded bollocks.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
fecking Scolari and Ricardo costs us the final while the GK that won the CL award for best GK in 2004 was not called for the NT.
Has to be one of the worst decisions in football history to not call up Baía in favour of Ricardo. As was Ricardo Carvalho getting the same treatment later on.

Could have won 3 of the last 4 Euros...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Helps when it's a sponge masquerading as a penalty spot.

I'm not sure about Lampard, but Gerrard was definitely not regarded as an attacking midfielder in 2004. He was thought of as a Keane/Vieira type rather. Wrong, obviously, but that was pretty much everyone's conception of what type of player he was.
True, he basically operated as a DM around that time for England. Had an outstanding performance there against Germany in 2001 and was generally solid and defensively responsible at the Euros. To me it's the only time the England midfield looked cohesive between 1998 and 2018, and it was clearly their best tournament performance over the last 24 years. There were two issues though IMO. Firstly, the lack of back up with Phil Neville and Darius Vassell playing the majority of that quarter final which was a level well above their station in the game. And secondly the similar styles of the long-passing, direct games of Beckham, Lampard and Gerrard (and even Scholes at times before 2006). Possession was often turned over too cheaply in the haste to get forward and Portugal dominated the ball.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
fecking Scolari and Ricardo costs us the final while the GK that won the CL award for best GK in 2004 was not called for the NT.
I always thought Ricardo was fouled in the final, was trying to get the corner but was blocked off by a greek defender IIRC. Was probably more of a foul than Sol Campbell although that is pretty much always given aswell.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Beckham and Rui Costa skying their penalties -> Postiga panenka -> Ricardo saves penalty without gloves -> Ricardo scores winning penalty

Postiga would have been crucified if that had been saved, still can't believe he had the balls to do that.
fecking Postiga. I don’t think he’s had a good spell at a club other than his Porto stint (the first one). Pretty sure he flopped in about 5 different countries but there he was, doing the Paneka :lol:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I always thought Ricardo was fouled in the final, was trying to get the corner but was blocked off by a greek defender IIRC. Was probably more of a foul than Sol Campbell although that is pretty much always given aswell.
The Sol Campbell one is a clear foul by Terry, if you look at Terry’s reaction after the ref calls it it’s easy to tell he’s fully aware of it.

Although I understand the controversy since you can’t really notice the foul on the first angle.

fecking Postiga. I don’t think he’s had a good spell at a club other than his Porto stint (the first one). Pretty sure he flopped in about 5 different countries but there he was, doing the Paneka :lol:
It was a horrible panenka too, if Robinson goes the other way he easily saves it.

Funny thing about Postiga is that somehow he’s the best Portuguese striker of the past 15 years despite flopping everywhere he played. We’re cursed.

Helder-Carvalho

But in terms of atmosphere, and party feeling nothing beats Euro 04, there were 2 games in my hometown, Denmark-Italy and Italy-Bulgaria, I was able to attend the second one in the middle of the Italians fans.

Mr.Plow

Remember this game very well. Think we'd have won if Rooney stayed fit, Vassel never did anything for England. Smith should have been in the squad.

Campbell was cursed, just like the disallowed goal vs Argentina in 98.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was at this game! The atmosphere in the stadium changed completely when Rooney was taken off injured.
Surprised the first mention of Rooney's injury took this far down the page to come.

That was tournament defining, as he was in absolutely red hot form.

norm87cro

Campbell scored a regular goal (making it 2 1 with little regular time left) but it was dissalowed as a foul on the keeper. Mental decision by the ref in my opinion

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Surprised the first mention of Rooney's injury took this far down the page to come.

That was tournament defining, as he was in absolutely red hot form.
Didn't he go off against France with England 1-0 up aswell?