EURO 2020 - straight knockout competition

Zlatattack

If this season pushes into the summer and they don't cancel the Euros, maybe they could just make it a straight knock out competition. Put all the teams in a pot, no seeding - just go for it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If this season pushes into the summer and they don't cancel the Euros, maybe they could just make it a straight knock out competition. Put all the teams in a pot, no seeding - just go for it.
That would be fun to watch but I doubt they can arrange that venue wise and won’t want to miss out on extra £££.

Next year Euros most likely.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Why not play it on FIFA instead of in real life, just get the actual players to take control of themselves in the game, on massive 50ft or whatever screen :lol:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Is there actually a spot for it next year? Some article I was reading the other day seemed to suggest there wasn't due to all the other games that would need to be played then.

Teja

Why not play it on FIFA instead of in real life, just get the actual players to take control of themselves in the game, on massive 50ft or whatever screen :lol:
Antoine Griezmann has joined the chat.

Chairman Steve

I had an idea which I quickly thought up, where the current season was voided, no relegations or promotions... basically the same pool of teams for each league as per the start of 2019/20.

There's no European club competitions (No Champions League, No Europa League). It's just domestic competitions only for all teams but with the usual qualification criteria as we expect (Top 4 gets CL etc). I don't know how you'd treat the EL winner getting an automatic CL spot. Probably allocate it to the country with the best coefficient I suppose?

But Euro 2020 is played out in place of the CL and EL, staggered across the 2020/21 season a la the CL and EL. I don't know how it would work but it'd probably be 2 week blocks of where Euro 2020 takes place throughout parts of the season. You could have the group stages done by Christmas then have the knockout stages in the New Year, with a final in May... so basically you get Euro 2020/21.