European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SwedishFish

We know UEFA proposed that the CL will be a league format, with the last 8 progressing on to knock-outs, presumably from March onwards.

If this new proposal turns out to be pretty much the same with the same qualifying criteria as would have existed in the new revamped CL but instead clubs negotiating TV rights for themselves similar to how the PL did back in 1992 when it broke from the FA, and that's all these proposals turn out to be, wouldn't it make the hysterical "DEDUCT 109 POINTS AND CLOSE THE CLUBS DOWN, IT'S THE END OF FOOTBALL!!" - reactions look somewhat ridiculous?

For the record I'm not in favour of these proposals but I don't know what the proposals are. Nobody does. People seem to be getting angry based on the fact the guy who Tweeted before them is angry and if he's angry then they've got to be even angier.

We don't know anything about this except clubs involved. Maybe reaction has been premature?
There are plenty of reason to be angered with the concept of a closed-up shop even though it's pretty close to real life (which is a truth hard to digest for a lot of people seemingly believing that "anyone can make it)

Of course it's being driven by media, social media etc. Millions of people watching United-Burnley and the first thing they do after the game is cut to Gary Neville bashing the super league for several minutes.

I don't know, I'm not even angry. It could be seen coming from a mile away and its more interesting watching it unfold. It's like a trainwreck happening before your very eyes for what's happening on all sides.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
just at that point he realises the whole esl concept was designed for this moment, for moss to know what people actually thought about him. the whole idea is then disbanded, and we’re back to normality. moss tries a little harder to be less shit at reffing from that point on.
But he's so traumatized by the ordeal he remains completely hairless (but not by choice anymore) and still insists on sliding around the pitch.

I can get behind this idea I think.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ohhhh what can I say to make the fans think I love them and understand them today? This little routine of his gets very boring very quickly. You chose to move to PSG mate, there’s no moral high ground.
Sigh. Do you want people with large public platforms to speak up or don't you?

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Pretty sure it's because PSG does not have to run this by their fans/members, unlike Bundesliga clubs.
And this is the reason why the ESL can offer Bayern and Dortmund a seat on the table as much as they want, they won´t accept. A decision as far reaching as this one especially if it brings with implications for the domestic competitions and the national team can not be solely sanctioned by the executive board but needs to be approved by the members as majority owners via a vote. This vote would crash and burn as they would never secure a majority. Rumenigge and Watzke are of course smart enough to know that and won´t even attempt something like this. They will instead show their clubs as the patrons of fair competion and defender of the interests of the fans. This might even spread as far as marketing the Bundesliga as one of the two remaining true major domestic leagues if the ESL takes actual form.

In a deal that from my experience has nearly only losers in the long run, the one group I see welcoming it are the stark defenders of the "50+1" rule in German football.

Drz

It's a nice thought but i doubt it. It's too late for the PL to discover morals at this stage.
I thought it to be wishful thinking as well, but to me it would be the fairer punishment with regards to players/ staff and fans of the involved clubs who were totally in the dark and now probably really annoyed with their futures up in the air potentially.
For a long time I have heard of why the Glazers are to be removed, some good arguments and some noise. But I can't think of a better reason than what they are currently trying to pull with regards to the English game, they have proven to be unfit and improper as a custodian of an English football club. (The same stands for all clubs involved of course).

Gandalf

There will be lawyers and lots of billable hours. The clubs involved have already filed pre-emptive motions to block UEFA from doing this and the likely end result is that the competitions will end without winners. The willingness of both sides to pour petrol on the flames seems set to ruin any kind of normal competition domestically and within Europe for the forseeable future. I am off to watch Inter Miami.

stw2022

There are plenty of reason to be angered with the concept of a closed-up shop even though it's pretty close to real life (which is a truth hard to digest for a lot of people seemingly believing that "anyone can make it)

Of course it's being driven by media, social media etc. Millions of people watching United-Burnley and the first thing they do after the game is cut to Gary Neville bashing the super league for several minutes.

I don't know, I'm not even angry. It could be seen coming from a mile away and its more interesting watching it unfold. It's like a trainwreck happening before your very eyes for what's happening on all sides.
But 'closed shop' is entirely supposition. Who's said that?

justsomebloke

Meh, in his eyes Martial is an asset so of course he'll shamelessly make an exaggerated comparison to praise his player.
Yeah, because then other clubs' executives will think:

1. "Pele? That Martial must be a much better player than we thought"
or
2. "Pele? That Glazer is an even more ignorant idiot than we thought"

Obviously, it's #2. Does that help Martials market value?

Oh, never mind.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It's the arrogance of it which gets me. The so called big six have pretty much teamed up and gone "There's only four spots for the top four, we can't all be in it". "I know, let's form a Super League, we'll all become founding members and never have to worry about qualifying".

I saw an Arsenal fan on BBC earlier he wants to see Arsenal play the big clubs and not Slavia Prague. Just pure snobbery, the reason why Arsenal are playing teams like them is because they're not good enough for the Champions League.

If you don't want to see your team play the likes of Cluj and Dinamo Zagreb then don't watch the matches, it's that simple.
Correct.

In addition to their nauseating levels of arrogance and self-grandeur, this power-grab robs the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Everton etc. their chance of a day in the sun. Or are supporters of those clubs so inferior they don’t deserve to play the Barcelonas, the Madrids and the Milans of this world?

It’s an absolutely despicable move and one which should never receive backing from any football fan with the integrity of the game at heart.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The league made deals with the devil when it allowed these cretins in. Now the chicken have come home to roost.
I don't have the energy to be outraged. Been losing interest for years anyway.

SwedishFish

Why wouldn't people watch Marseille vs Wolfsburg if these clubs have big players? The point being that these clubs have the local fanbase and could see their current owners invest heavily. Following your logic who was going to watch Spurs vs City in 2004?
Well arguably Spurs had a bigger fanbase than Marseille even in 2004 even though they were a bit shit, the economic potential of the Premier League has always been massive just like the global fanbase.

Frankly it'd be nearly impossible for those two teams to get the very best players unless they are purchased by someone in the Forbes Top 50 even if in theory the quite ridiculous idea that all of the ESL clubs had to give up all their players would happen. The CL price money wouldn't be enough without the biggest teams from the biggest leagues.

Fooza

It's all kicking off eh, this drama is more entertaining than what the super league will be.

popcorn.gif

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I don't agree with the super league at all but the thing is, some of the things or discipline clubs may face from domestic leagues just cannot happen. How can the FA and other domestic football associations honor TV money deals if the top clubs from their leagues are removed from the competition? No offense to other clubs but people won't tune in as much if they can't watch Liverpool and United play as part of the competition. These big clubs between them have that kind of power. These leagues would not remain financially sustainable for long if they take any drastic action against these clubs.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well arguably Spurs had a bigger fanbase than Marseille even in 2004 even though they were a bit shit, the economic potential of the Premier League has always been massive just like the global fanbase.

Frankly it'd be nearly impossible for those two teams to get the very best players unless they are purchased by someone in the Forbes Top 50 even if in theory the quite ridiculous idea that all of the ESL clubs had to give up all their players would happen. The CL price money wouldn't be enough without the biggest teams from the biggest leagues.
Argubaly where? Marseille are the most supported club in France.

Zeno

In fairness to the Glazers they have always been clear that its only about the money.

Fans of some of the other clubs in the Super Six sound a bit like they’ve arrived home and found the missus in bed with their worst enemy.

90 + 5min

Here we go again, another slaughterpiece signed Carra and Neville being streamed out for free to reach the masses :boring:
You sound like co-funders himself of the eventuall plastic league in your posts but your missing knowledge of football history is not a looking good. Instead of understanding concept of football and heritage and tradition of the football in England you are just going on about how UEFA / FIFA and everyone else is wrong. Before you decide to comment on this or even if you don't think for a second why you are Manchester United supporter. Wich I suppose you are. Is it gloryhunting? Or is it something else.