European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ace of Spades

The whole situation is shit.

It is always the fans who suffer in this, I detest the Glazers, but I also hate UEFA, FIFA etc. as they are part of the problem.

Sevilla announced they're not joining The Super League and have no interest in doing so

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
:lol: at the posters thinking we have some divine right to play in the CL each year. Have any of you watched our team post SAF? Load of shite we’ve been; all thanks to the geniuses in charge who’ve destroyed anything remotely enjoyable about United or football in general.
It's in a thread like this it becomes very apparent who is just here for the glory days and doesn't understand why this is such a drastic alteration of the concept of footie competition that predates basically even all existing domestic leagues.

stevoc

Gaz Nev admitting he’s complicit, well yes arsehole, you’re complicit in sitting there wanking over City every week with your head buried in the sand as to what reaction being forced to compete financially with oil states was going to force upon the other top clubs.

Arseholes the lot of them.
It does come across a bit rich that English football, it's institutions and leading figures suddenly have morals.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
One think I´m absolutely sure about, Ole must hate this idea from core of his bones.
I am not holding my breath for him to speak out though. I dont know why Klopp gets so much hate, I read the interview nad felt he was very outspoken. Kudos to him

Djemba-Djemba

These arguments go out of the window when you have teams like City, PSG and Chelsea that "earned" it by winning a lottery and got bought by sugar daddies.

Pre oil clubs I'd take that argument. Now? No way.
You honestly don't seem to understand the whole point of football.

Irrational.

People expecting the players and managers to take a stand as if they’re the paragons of justice and fairness. A sport in which they are paid astronomical sums to earn moves which pay them even more. Their whole lives revolve around money - does anyone seriously think they’re going to act against their own interests? :lol:

It’s the football fans that are going to lose out. The clubs, managers and players that get to be a part of this elitist secret club are going to be absolutely loving it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I really hope the players make a stand. These 12 teams, but more importantly their owners specifically, are trying to break the whole football game and make the rules in their vision.

It's all about monopolising the money streams in the globalised world.
You don't bite a hand which feeds you.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Bruno has shared Podence's post on IG with the caption "Dreams can't be buy"

I guess that's something.
Instagram posts and tweets are about as much as the players will do. Maybe the occasional outspoken interview. I don't think they will band together like Neville and Carragher are suggesting.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What the actual feck. Was watching a local TV show and the pundits completely ignored the fact that these clubs have removed merit out of the equation by automatic qualification.

I'm not kidding, they mentioned this aspect zero times. It was the usual UEFA bashing, criticism towards Neville and other ex-footballers.

Drainy

I really hope the players make a stand. These 12 teams, but more importantly their owners specifically, are trying to break the whole football game and make the rules in their vision.

It's all about monopolising the money streams in the globalised world.
apart from its literally the opposite of monopolising.

The league itself might be a semi-closed shop for 12-15 places being held by the founders of the league with the remaining being invitational, but it doesn't prevent other competitions from being played. The attempts to kill it by UEFA are the the use of a monopoly to control revenue streams.

Its funny that people are saying 'Earn it' as a slogan against it, when that isn't the point, the clubs have a better offer so are declining to accept their qualification to one competition in favour of the better offer.

We might not like that, or would prefer it didn't happen but they should have the right to do it.

littlepeasoup

:lol: at the posters thinking we have some divine right to play in the CL each year. Have any of you watched our team post SAF? Load of shite we’ve been; all thanks to the geniuses in charge who’ve destroyed anything remotely enjoyable about United or football in general.
There is an entitlement that I think runs incredibly deep within a certain sub-section of our support, not the majority mind, but minority are extremely vocal. I'm thankful I've lived through the good times at the club, but we won leagues and European competition because of merit, not because we thought we deserved to be there as a fait accompli.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Odd that it hasn't come up at any of the dozens of commentary jobs he's done at the stadium, then.

Hilarious that he's praising the suddenly money hungry scavengers in charge of City in that piece, too.
Get a grip you babbling buffoon. Made a mess of most of your arguments. You don’t like him and none of us give a feck, the end.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I'm sure that also was said to those who welcomed the PL over the first division and the CL over the European Cup.
Neither of these actually restricted opportunities for other clubs.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Because as much as I hate that they did that, there's an enormous difference between that and the ESL thing. Chelsea and City didn't turn the football world on its head and cause irreversible gamewide upheaval that completely changed the fundamental way that the sport works. They just spent a lot of money on players. It's like asking why World War 2 was any different from the Brazilian Revolution of 1930. Both were armed conflicts, right?
Unfortunately one lead to the other.

In the late 80s while everyone was busy investing on players we invested wisely. We went on building a great youth academy, a fantastic scouting net, we hired visionaries both in terms of coaching and business people etc. That made us untouchable throughout the 90s both in terms of football and financially wise. Arsenal would occasionally nick a league title or two but it was more of us losing it (ie ignoring a position that needs to be strengthened etc).

Football fans at rival clubs wanted to break that monopoly but they lacked the money to do so. Roman and the Mansours were the answer to that. These people would go own pumping millions into what were considered hopeless clubs which then gave them an edge over us. To make matter worse we fell victim to our success as the Glazers saw United as a way to make a quick buck.

The result to all of that is this mess ie clubs owned by owners who only care about money

If the EPL wanted to stop this then they should have stopped clubs from being bought by owners who either saw the clubs as cash cows or who wanted to buy success.

dinostar77

Apparently us, arsenal, city, Madrid and chelsea will get thrown out of this years CL and Europa league by Friday this week.

always_hoping

You could clearly see what Klopp thinks about it from the interview, that is something.

But it was a weak interview overall. He's in the same position as Ole and Tuchel. He hates it but is choosing to punt it into the long grass rather than risk losing his job mid season.
Have a feeling Klopp will step down after this season especially if they finish outside the top 4.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Between 1997-2004 Arsenal won 3 titles and finished second the other 4 seasons, this success made them believe that a new stadium was a smart move. Right at that point a billionaire bought Chelsea, Arsenal simply could NOT compete, then when they finally starting getting to a place again where they could spend, a entire fecking state bought a tinpot club and started using Arsenal as their feeder club.

And now Gaz Nev think he’s funny for mocking them, yeah arsehole you’re complicit in Arsenal being where they are, in a position where they went from regular PL winner to feeder club.
Why is that the fault of the Oil clubs? Arsenal is the 3rd most successful team in England. Chelsea and City's ascension didn't stop them from buying players. Just like United capitalizing on the global explosion of the game in the 90's didn't stop other teams from being succesfull.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Apparently us, arsenal, city, Madrid and chelsea will get thrown out of this years CL and Europa league by Friday this week.
Would be surprised if they can legally do this, but we'll find out soon enough.