Evan Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcy

Oh okay then. Don’t bother trying to improve. Let’s stick with Martial, that’s worked so well so far. :rolleyes:
Except there is no way we can afford him, plus I really doubt they sell him this year. Given the dirth of strikers and how highly rated he is, add in that they have no need to sell, he is on a long contract, the only was I can see you extracting Ferguson is with a bid north of 120m.

Alemar

Given the dirth of strikers and how highly rated he is, add in that they have no need to sell, he is on a long contract, the only was I can see you extracting Ferguson is with a bid north of 120m.
Many People were mad we had to pay over 50m for Hojlund, but now buying Ferguson for 120m is ok? :)

L1nk

Many People were mad we had to pay over 50m for Hojlund, but now buying Ferguson for 120m is ok? :)
He's Irish and has 7 goals in the Prem, to some people that's all that matters over some foreign kid scoring goals in the Italian league. No I am not joking, people actually think this way

El Zoido

Crazy how these players get valued so high after doing virtually nothing

He’s got 7 career league goals ffs

Garnacho must be worth 250m
Wayne Rooney only scored 6 league goals in his first PL season, then 9 in his second.

Ferguson has also scored 6 in his first season, let’s see what he finishes with this season. Already got one.

The £30m paid for Rooney would be £110m+ today (according to The Athletic).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
0% chance of Brighton letting him go this window.

They let Undaz go on loan to Germany and Welbz gets plenty of injuries so really Ferguson is their main CF now with Joao Pedro being played more as number 10.

They're swimming in cash this summer and he's got years left on the deal he signed end of last season so think he'll be there for another two years and then they'll ask for Caciedo fee.

Superunknown

This is the bit I'm struggling with, too.

The reason is that you're paying for the potential. It's the hope that the person who scores x amount one year can then go on to nab 15/20 league goals in the future. You're paying for the promise. It doesn't quite sit right with me either.

RuudTom83

Yeah we need to be targeting older and experienced person before the window closes,however only looks remotely possible if Martial leaves which is highly unlikely
There's a real lack of quality experience strikers out there. I can't think of any in the 26-30 age group who could fit the bill. It's almost like being a striker stopped being a thing for about 10 years.
Slightly off topic...but in 2 years it would be Hojlund(22) Marcus(27) which looks healthy to me.

United just need a loan for the season...someone who can cover for injuries and be a good pro. Similar to how SAF would bring in Henrik Larsson for example.

RuudTom83

No, no, no, he plays for United remember...so he is borderline worthless, 20-25 million euros tops! ;)

BerryBerryShrew

Even speaking as an Irish guy who has been desperate for a potentially world class player to break through since Damien Duff...I agree completely.

The funny (or depressing) thing is that he'd probably have a clearer route to first team footy with us than with Brighton at the moment. Joao Pedro can play up front, I rate Welbz higher than current Martial, Brighton's other new boy seems class, and Encisco is himself a massive talent. He may not get as much first team action at Brighton as everyone expects. There's no guarantee that he will be a better player than Encisco (for example) and Brighton aren't going to play favourites.

My fingers are crossed, but there is no guarantee that he will develop into the new Lewandowski irrespective of whether he stays at Brighton or moves elsewhere.

Judas

Open to offers
Anyone genuinely thinking we should be making a bid for this lad is in their own world and not the real one. We're not looking to get fleeced this summer, and he would cost a laughable amount, simply not within our budget.

Dannn411

Think Brighton would want at least £90m for him... and they'd probably reject that
£90m? More like British Transfer record. £120m minimum. This is Tony Bloom we're talking about here. Anybody even slightly rated will leave for British transfer records unless the player is near the end of his contract and even then he won't budge unless it's in the 80s or 90s. Levy has given all the clubs the template now for dealing with the big 6. Either you develop your own talent or get ready to pay up big time.

Sparky Rhiwabon

£90m? More like British Transfer record. £120m minimum. This is Tony Bloom we're talking about here. Anybody even slightly rated will leave for British transfer records unless the player is near the end of his contract and even then he won't budge unless it's in the 80s or 90s. Levy has given all the clubs the template now for dealing with the big 6. Either you develop your own talent or get ready to pay up big time.
£120m?? Brighton would respond with a snort of haughty derision at a bid of £120m

OleGunnar20

Would take mad money to get him. They'll hold onto him for at least another 2 years I reckon.

He does look brilliant though. You've gotta admire Brightons scouting network picking this guy up from Bohemians. Great work.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
City spent nowhere near the amount on Julian Alvarez that we need to spend to sign Evan Ferguson from Brighton, we aren't signing him for 80+ mill just to rotate or sit on the bench. Why would he even want this..

We'll sign an older more experienced cheap striker who doesn't mind rotating from the bench. Let's be realistic here
Benzema was signed by Real for big money in Summer 2009 and he pretty much rotated with Higuain for four years. There are too many games on these days for players plus Utd are probably aiming to be playing 60+ games per season going forwards (On top of international fixtures), they would both play a relatively decent amount of games between them, could then sell the lesser player in the future.

Take AWB: If he stayed at Palace and started 95% of their games, he'd likely start around 35 times in the season. At Utd, even if he only starts around 50% of the games, he could still be starting around 30 times in the season. I don't think it should really matter what percentage of games a player a starts, what should matter is the actual number of games they start.

BerryBerryShrew

Would take mad money to get him. They'll hold onto him for at least another 2 years I reckon.

He does look brilliant though. You've gotta admire Brightons scouting network picking this guy up from Bohemians. Great work.
He played for Bohs against Chelsea...at 14 years of age. I'm fairly sure that all the top clubs in England (and probably further afield) were after him, but his father had a professional connection with Brighton that meant that he was always going there.
There are better examples of Brighton's scouting than Ferguson (Mitoma being probably the most glaring one).

Superunknown

I'd rather we take the money that we could potentially spend on this guy and plunge that into our scouting department or youth team. The current costs for the likes of Caicedo, Rice, Bellingham, Kane, etc are just eye-watering...and it's just going to get worse. Players aren't suddenly going to revert to being £20 or £30million. It's far more likely that we'll be seeing prices closer to £150million in the Premier League next season.

Our best strategy going forward (and this is easier said than done) is to be far more savvy with identifying prospects earlier on. Then, picking up these players and being better with either integrating them in to our setup, or loaning them out so that they can get game time. Garnacho aside, I've got to say that I don't think we play this game very well at United. The farce that's going on with Liverpool and Chelsea over Caicedo is not something I want us to get sucked into in the future, but I fear we'll have no choice but to offer silly amounts of cash if we're looking for players to fill holes in our side. It's not down to whether or not we can afford it, but rather that I don't think it's the best value for money.

GBBQ

it’s obviously a gamble and you’re paying for the potential he might reach but if you have a goal in every 3 games at 18 and you’re being called a natural born goal scorer by Gary Lineker then I think it’s probably more than just fan hype.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wonder what would happen if Brighton got relegated next season.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
He's such a big United fan he signed a new contract at Brighton that makes it difficult for United to sign him. Hojlund's such a big United fan he apparently badgered Atalant into selling him to us. Enjoy your blossoming career Evan, wherever it's at.

Last edited:

Erik the Red

He's such a big United fan he signed a new contract at Brighton that makes it difficult for United to sign him. Hojlund's such a big United fan he apparently badgered Atalant into selling him to us. Enjoy your blossoming career Evan, wherever it's at.
In fairness, he's very young, and felt that for the sake of his career he is better off staying at Brighton for now. When this contract finishes, he will still be young enough to spend his peak years at United.

Superunknown

I think that's very unfair. The chances of anyone playing for United is very, very small. Only a select few can do that. What's he meant to do? Not sign anything ever and hope that we take an interest in him and not one of the other thousands of potential other players out there who could also be fans and could also be the next big thing?

Oranges038

It's not like he was a complete unknown. He played against Chelsea when he was 14/15. I'm also pretty sure several of his old youth team mates from St Kevins are playing in England now too.

He rejected several top clubs, apparently Utd and Liverpool. He chose Brighton because they offered him the best place to develop and the best route to first team football. He's done well and is a good player, but he's never worth 100m now or even close to it. It's just a case of supply and demand, there just aren't many strikers out there showing promise and the few that are will command ridiculous fees.

OleGunnar20

He played for Bohs against Chelsea...at 14 years of age. I'm fairly sure that all the top clubs in England (and probably further afield) were after him, but his father had a professional connection with Brighton that meant that he was always going there.
There are better examples of Brighton's scouting than Ferguson (Mitoma being probably the most glaring one).
It's not like he was a complete unknown. He played against Chelsea when he was 14/15. I'm also pretty sure several of his old youth team mates from St Kevins are playing in England now too.

He rejected several top clubs, apparently Utd and Liverpool. He chose Brighton because they offered him the best place to develop and the best route to first team football. He's done well and is a good player, but he's never worth 100m now or even close to it. It's just a case of supply and demand, there just aren't many strikers out there showing promise and the few that are will command ridiculous fees.
Fair enough, I didn't know that.

14 years old! Blimey.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

croadyman

Slightly off topic...but in 2 years it would be Hojlund(22) Marcus(27) which looks healthy to me.

United just need a loan for the season...someone who can cover for injuries and be a good pro. Similar to how SAF would bring in Henrik Larsson for example.
I want Rashford to stay off the left hence the need for us to bring in experienced backup no 9 on a short term basis. Like I said would take a Morata/Choupo-Moting

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton

This is an excellent point.

He (and his father, who manages his career) wanted a progression pathway for Ferguson with clear timescales on his development. He’s actually a year ahead of schedule! Haven’t got the relevant interviews to hand, but talked at length about offers on the table from “top clubs” (later confirmed to be Liverpool and Manchester United) but wanted assurances about a career plan. Ferguson (and, importantly, his Dad) were very impressed with the player liaison officers and how young players regularly train with the seniors. Also, the living accommodations are good and younger players are respected and valued as if they are first teamers.

I’m not saying he won’t jump at a chance to join a huge club, with all that entails, in due course - but for a 16 year old lad he was advised a course of action which led him to playing regular Premier League and International football by the age of 18. This very probably wouldn’t have happened if he had been lost in the ranks of Liverpool or Manchester United’s U18 setups.

Oranges038

This is an excellent point.

He (and his father, who manages his career) wanted a progression pathway for Ferguson with clear timescales on his development. He’s actually a year ahead of schedule! Haven’t got the relevant interviews to hand, but talked at length about offers on the table from “top clubs” (later confirmed to be Liverpool and Manchester United) but wanted assurances about a career plan. Ferguson (and, importantly, his Dad) were very impressed with the player liaison officers and how young players regularly train with the seniors. Also, the living accommodations are good and younger players are respected and valued as if they are first teamers.

I’m not saying he won’t jump at a chance to join a huge club, with all that entails, in due course - but for a 16 year old lad he was advised a course of action which led him to playing regular Premier League and International football by the age of 18. This very probably wouldn’t have happened if he had been lost in the ranks of Liverpool or Manchester United’s U18 setups.
If he joined Utd. He'd have been sent on loan to the Championship or somewhere by now and we'd have people here saying he'll never make it.

Bojan Djordjic

This is the bit I'm struggling with, too.

The reason is that you're paying for the potential. It's the hope that the person who scores x amount one year can then go on to nab 15/20 league goals in the future. You're paying for the promise. It doesn't quite sit right with me either.
What he did last year is crazy for a 17/18 year old and it's not as if it was some crazy streak of overperformance. His underlyings are just as good and he's averaging 3.4 shots per game at that age which is higher than Rashford, Harry Kane, and Mo Salah. Shot volume isn't everything but it is highly correlated with goalscoring so this bodes very well that he can generate this amount of shots against top defenders.

Robertd0803

Ive said it all weekend that if Brighton got 115 for Caicedo, theres no way on the planet they will accept anything less than £150 million for a player with all the potential in the world thats (going to be) a proven goal scorer by the end of the season.

colombianmancunian

Ive said it all weekend that if Brighton got 115 for Caicedo, theres no way on the planet they will accept anything less than £150 million for a player with all the potential in the world thats (going to be) a proven goal scorer by the end of the season.
Good luck getting that price for him, when the same quantity would get you a proven player such as Osimhen.

Robertd0803

Good luck getting that price for him, when the same quantity would get you a proven player such as Osimhen.
Course they will. He scores double figures this season and it will be the minimum Brighton will ask for. Long term contract, massive potential, proven goalscorer (at that point) the Caicedo/Rice fees and the transfer window is only going to be more insane next summer Ill bet.

Plus Caicedos ended up more than Rice despite Rice being the more established of the two.

croadyman

Course they will. He scores double figures this season and it will be the minimum Brighton will ask for. Long term contract, massive potential, proven goalscorer (at that point) the Caicedo/Rice fees and the transfer window is only going to be more insane next summer Ill bet.

Plus Caicedos ended up more than Rice despite Rice being the more established of the two.
Too right they should demand a high figure

Redcy

What does that have to do with anything? Caicedo is less proven than Rice, Lavia is less proven than other players like Mount, yet these players are commanding massive fees.

There is also no evidence that Osihmen would go for 150m, I think you would have to pay Brighton 130m right now, and I suspect they still would not sell.

Kilmonger

Supports
Chelsea
I don't understand why this lad is so highly rated. Yes, he might be talented but folks are talking as if he'll cost 250m or something in that range. For strikers, GOALS is what speaks volumes.

Bojan Djordjic

I don't understand why this lad is so highly rated. Yes, he might be talented but folks are talking as if he'll cost 250m or something in that range. For strikers, GOALS is what speaks volumes.
What's your point? He's scoring lots of goals proportionate to his playing time which is being somewhat restricted by his age (started last season at 17) and a couple of bad injuries picked up (got scythed down by Konaté last year.

8 goal contributions in 10.5 league games is a very impressive return for any player never mind a 17/18 year old.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What does that have to do with anything? Caicedo is less proven than Rice, Lavia is less proven than other players like Mount, yet these players are commanding massive fees.

There is also no evidence that Osihmen would go for 150m, I think you would have to pay Brighton 130m right now, and I suspect they still would not sell.
If he signs his new contract, there is allegedly a 150m release clause to non Italian teams

Status
Not open for further replies.