Even if we bring in Pep/Jose.. we need 7 new players for the first XI

Fer

We just need 4 players but not squad players. We need top players for the first team.
Mainly we need a new manager.

stevoc

It's frightening how bad and thin this squad is considering how much has been spent on it.

Even discounting the Di Maria money it's still what £270-280m. I can only imagine what Fergie would have done with that money had he used it to add to the 2013 title winning squad. Instead we let a mad man sell almost the entire squad for a pittance and sign a load of expensive mediocrity.

We need easily another £200-300m to get back to the top.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
It's frightening how bad and thin this squad is considering how much has been spent on it.

Even discounting the Di Maria money it's still what £270-280m. I can only imagine what Fergie would have done with that money had he used it to add to the 2013 title winning squad. Instead we let a mad man sell almost the entire squad for a pittance and sign a load of expensive mediocrity.

We need easily another £200-300m to get back to the top.
£200-300m would get us in a strong position to get a CL spot. We are light years away of our peers, if they are that, in Barcelona and Bayern.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
£200-300m would get us in a strong position to get a CL spot. We are light years away of our peers, if they are that, in Barcelona and Bayern.
Liverpool, West Ham, Southampton, Stoke, Everton - they are our peers. We aren't far off them; stop talking nonsense.

KingMinger22

Two top class wingera e.g. Bale
Rightback (top class)
Two centre midfielder. Worldclass
A top striker (Kane - but no chance)

No chance in hell will we get half of what we need this summer.

Things are looking seriously bleak and have for a long time.

Mourinho and the world's highest ever summer transfer spend (think Madrid in 2009) might get the ship back on course. Short of something huge like that, I can see us having five years of Liverpool results.

KingMinger22

Liverpool, West Ham, Southampton, Stoke, Everton - they are our peers. We aren't far off them; stop talking nonsense.
Yes, there is genuinely very little between the talent in their squads and ours. A couple of them are probably better off than us in terms of talent and age profile.

Jig1234

I do think we need to invest in a new midfield I think their is hope for Herrera and Schneiderlin. Beyond that the Central midfield options are pathetic. I'd sell Carrick & Bastian in summer.

I do think Van Gaal makes us look worse than we are, he managed to convince us all Di Maria was a 'snake' but he was just a talented midfielder who Van Gaal put ankle weights on. He is a hater of creativity, effective football. He fails to inspire the players, yes we need to sell and buy but I think Jose would be doing far better with this current group, at the very least he'd make us harder to beat.

stevoc

Thats maybe a bit of an overstatement Leicester and Spurs didn't need to spend that amount to get into the top 4.

£200-300M isn't going to get us level with Barca of course, simply because we can't go and buy or convince a trio like Messi, Neymar and Suarez to move to the north west of England.

But with some wise spending of those amounts we should with a manager like Mourinho be back in title and CL contention. Whether we will spend that type of money is another thing though. We really should have retained some more of Fergusons last squad.

gza the genius

LVG has made every single player we have slowly decline. Look at di Maria for us versus for PSG, Martial at the beginning of the season to Martial now, Rashford 3 games ago to Rashford now. He stifles creativity and kills confidence, he forces players in to positions and demands they do a job.

Some of the players aren't up to it, that's obvious, but we don't have an entire squad full of duds.

In defense:
Keep DDG and we've got the best keeper in the world.
Smalling is good enough to start, he needs a partner. Rojo is good backup for LB and CB. Blind is the same, and he can and should fill in at center mid too once we get defensive options. Shaw can be one of the best in the world and CBJ looks good enough to be backup as well. Darmian hasn't been good for a while but he started out well so I'm not writing him off, Varela has done well in his absence.

Jones and Valencia need to go, one is constantly injured and can't be relied upon and the other just isn't good enough.

In midfield:
Herrera and Schniederlin have everything to make a good partnership, they need options up front and some solidity behind them but I think they are the future. Bastian is great back up and good to be used sparingly in selective matches, his leadership is invaluable. Blind is also a good option but we could definitely use at least one very good center mid.

Fellaini needs to go.

In attack:

Memphis is young and learning, he needs more time before we give up on him. Martial the same, though he's shown his class, it'll just take a little time. Lingard is a good squad option and helps add some pace and quick passing to the side, something we miss a lot. If we had some pace around him I think Mata would perform a lot better, definitely worth keeping.

Rooney and Young need to go, they're both past it and we need to move on. Ideally we would get a first choice striker and right winger this summer.

That'd leave us with:
DDG
Darmian - Smalling - New CB - Shaw
Herrera - Schniederlin
New RW - Mata - Martial
New CF

Bench: Rojo, Blind, Bastian, Memphis, Lingard, Adnan, etc

Only 3 additions and I think we have a very strong squad. We just need a manager capable of playing to their strengths rather than shoehorning them in to positions with no flexibility.

goin4glory

People really need to get over Barkley, if he wasn't English no one would care. He's a decent player but not United quality and for the price we'd be quoted there's much better options available. I.E Griezmann.

Green_Red

I didn't see the game but it was away at Anfield to a Liverpool team that we've beaten 4 times in a row. They were bound to get a result eventually, it just happened to be last night.

But 7 new players? That's about how many first team players we have injured right? So we'll be grand.

7!? LOL are you on drugs man?

stevoc

I didn't see the game but it was away at Anfield to a Liverpool team that we've beaten 4 times in a row. They were bound to get a result eventually, it just happened to be last night.

But 7 new players? That's about how many first team players we have injured right? So we'll be grand.

7!? LOL are you on drugs man?
7 might be a bit of an exaggeration but it's hardly crazy. And to be fair i don't think we currently have 7 first team players out injured. Shaw,Schweinsteiger and Rooney is about it.

We do need 4-5 quality players for the first XI. CB, RB, CM, RW for me certainly need strengthening and maybe a new no10.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Darmian is a very good right back, he's been unlucky with injuries but he doesn't need to be replaced unless someone like Carvajal, Danillo, or Bellerin bcomes available.

We could do with a leader in defence to partner Smalling, and somebody like Bernardo Silva who can play as a 7 or a 7.

Green_Red

7 might be a bit of an exaggeration but it's hardly crazy. And to be fair i don't think we currently have 7 first team players out injured. Shaw,Schweinsteiger and Rooney is about it.

We do need 4-5 quality players for the first XI. CB, RB, CM, RW for me certainly need strengthening and maybe a new no10.
We'll never be any good if we're constantly adding that amount of players ever season. Id prefer to add 2 or 3 this summer and continue with what we've got. Give them a chance to settle at the club.

stevoc

We'll never be any good if we're constantly adding that amount of players ever season. Id prefer to add 2 or 3 this summer and continue with what we've got. Give them a chance to settle at the club.
I mean i agree in general, i think we have had way too much squad turnover post SAF. But if we want to be a top 4 team again, and challenge for the title next year then the likes of Darmain/Valencia, Blind, Fellaini and Lingard are just not good enough and need to be replaced.

If a new manager comes in i think it's certain he will bring in 5-6 new players. Maybe more depending on who leaves unfortunately.

Green_Red

I mean i agree in general, i think we have had way too much squad turnover post SAF. But if we want to be a top 4 team again, and challenge for the title next year then the likes of Darmain/Valencia, Blind, Fellaini and Lingard are just not good enough and need to be replaced.

If a new manager comes in i think it's certain he will bring in 5-6 new players. Maybe more depending on who leaves unfortunately.
Cant argue with that list other than Darmian and Lingard, think they're good ebough and young enough to warrant another season or two. Fellaini needs to go big time, we cant win when he plays it looks. Blind as a squad player maybe. Valencia should move on for no other reason than I dont see a place for him in the team.

Next manager will spend another 250 mil and we'll be no better.

stevoc

Cant argue with that list other than Darmian and Lingard, think they're good ebough and young enough to warrant another season or two. Fellaini needs to go big time, we cant win when he plays it looks. Blind as a squad player maybe. Valencia should move on for no other reason than I dont see a place for him in the team.

Next manager will spend another 250 mil and we'll be no better.
Both could have a place in the squad for sure, but as starters? Not for me.

If both are first choice next season then we may well be in for another season of underachievement.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
No club can afford such huge turnovers in successive seasons and not feel the effects thereafter. We do lack serious quality but we won't fix it in a transfer window or two. Our priorities should be getting a better management in.

KingMinger22

No club can afford such huge turnovers in successive seasons and not feel the effects thereafter. We do lack serious quality but we won't fix it in a transfer window or two. Our priorities should be getting a better management in.
Yes, it looks extremely bleak for United.

Conservative opinions are we need 4-5 top quality first team players.

In the past two summers, we have recruited two players in total that have turned out to be quality buys. Some have been reasonable value, okay. But we need class.

We are in an absolutely shocking position. It's absolutely baffling to think of the amount of players we need to get rid of and the sort of quality and quantity we need to recruit.

I don't think it can be done in two years with a mega budget even.

Perrick Dubois

They aren't our peers. We can't even win our own league (or top4) to get to the competition to play them. People have got to stop thinking that spending hundreds of millions of quid and trying to be like Bayern and Barca is going to solve things. Sort out the football, bring a manager who knows how to get this lot going, get close to and/or win the league and then go from there.

Spending 200m two years on the bounce and pancaking a second time would be absolutely disastrous. It is a roll of the dice that probably won't happen.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Yes, it looks extremely bleak for United.

We are in an absolutely shocking position. It's absolutely baffling to think of the amount of players we need to get rid of and the sort of quality and quantity we need to recruit.

I don't think it can be done in two years with a mega budget even.
Aye, the more eager we try to get a quick fix the more desperate we reek and the more fleeced we get. In all honesty I'm struggling to see real value in our transfers in the post SAF era, save for a no more than three exceptions. We simply need a better manager, a director of football, and find possible a role for someone like Roy Keane or even Evra to whip these pampered footballers in line. Our players have embraced the worst traits of professional football, only caring for their wage, devoid of any passion, aggression, or a thought for the legions of hardworking supporters following them across the globe. They play without a care for how their performances and results reflect on the club and its support base.

The immediate term solution is not allowing LVG and Woodward anywhere near a transfer unless it involves getting rid of themselves.

In the short to medium term, get a new manager in, let him institute his plans and strategies for the club. I am will be happy, if Woodward does in need pulls his finge out and get a new management, to see one or two signings per transfer window so long as the team makes gradual and sustained improvements. If anything LVG's tenure has stressed the need for adjusting expectations. However, this should only happen subject to demonstrable progress on the pitch. It is the massive inconsistency and reluctance to nip things in the bud that's disheartening a majority of the fans

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
We need 4-5 first team players. That said, the standard of the PL top clubs is so low, that it wouldnt take much (if the proper investments by the proper manager are made) to compete for the league.

I agree it would have never been done in 1-2 windows, but this year will be the third year of this turnover. Hopefully we get the right players in this time.

Jinn

I really don't know where to start...
I think first change is definitely the manager.
A commanding centre half.
A winger with pace, dribbling ability and can cross.
A number ten who is technically good, has pace and robust enough for the prem.
That would be a good start.

Anduin

First team material are De Gea (who will leave in the summer IMO), Smalling, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Mata (when he has pacey players around him) and Martial. That's it. Some could prove to be decent squad players (Darmian, Varela from what we've seen so far, Herrera, maybe some of the young players as well), but the rest has to be replaced gradually. No point in booting out 10-15 players again this summer, we will never have a cohesive team if we do that again.
Getting back to the top will take some doing (time and money).

Green_Red

Both could have a place in the squad for sure, but as starters? Not for me.

If both are first choice next season then we may well be in for another season of underachievement.
Agree. Darmian havms football in him though, just not 90 mins of Prem level. He starts slowing down at around the hour mark.

stevoc

Agree. Darmian havms football in him though, just not 90 mins of Prem level. He starts slowing down at around the hour mark.
Yeah his stamina is atrocious, and doesn't seem to be improving. If the next manager doesn't boot him i hope he at least makes him work on it, that and tells him he's allowed in the oppositions half.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Talk of a clear out is daft when the squad is paper thin. If Mourinho came in he'd recognise the problems with this squad straight away to challenge in the Premier league.

We'll need:
Keeper to replace De Gea
Commanding centre back
A mobile centre midfielder
Fast, quality right winger
A powerful striker and/or quality number 10

All need to be players good enough to go straight into the first 11. Shaw (assuming he recovers well), Valencia and Smalling are easily good enough for a first choice back 4. Martial would be another first choice in attack probably on the left, and we'd have plenty of options elsewhere.

space

Ddg
Darmian-Smalling-Stones-Shaw
Schweinsteiger-Schneiderlin
Greizmann-Herrera-Martial
Ibrahimovic

3 players and I'd be happy

Bwuk

De Gea
???? - ???? - Stones - Shaw
Schweinsteiger
Schneiderlin - Pogba
???? - Zlatan - Martial

Romero
Darmian - Smalling - Rojo - Borthwick
Blind
Herrera - Mata
???? - ???? - Memphis
That should be our starting 11 above, and second 11 below. I have added Pogba and Stones into the first 11, and question marks where about I'm unsure who to target. If Pogba/Stones were unrealistic then I'm unsure, but we need similar style of players. Likes of Lingard, Januzaj, TFM etc can make up rest of the squad.

NJM78

De Gea will be gone, although circumstances different its just like Ronaldo staying that extra year.
The fact we wont be in the CL and dont even look capable of winning the Europa then all I know is we are going to have to offer some ridiculous wages to get players. I just pray Mourinho is here as players look at his record and feel they will have a good chance of trophies, if we still have van Gaal next season and plan on using Giggs after that, I'd be saying hell no to United if I was a top class player.

As for the first 11, Smalling, Martial, Schneiderlin (the Saints version not the current muppet) and Shaw. The rest can be replaced in the first 11 for me. The likes of Januzaj, BoJack, Rashford, Pereira, Herrera, Blind, Depay, Darmian, Varela as back up.

We must surely sell crap like Fellaini and Carrick plus injury prone players Jones, Rojo, Young and Valencia and if Jose comes in I'm sure Mata will be sold as well. Not sure about Rooney.

If we get this impressive Sanchez I will be happy but we'll need to persuade some top players somehow. Griezmann, Mahrez, Zlatan, Laporte etc and another top class keeper and a right back who can actually defend and get forward well.

-----------GK?
RB? Smalling Laporte Shaw
--Schneiderlin Sanchez
Mahrez Griezmann Martial
---------Zlatan

Devil may care

I can't be arsed to list a bunch of names right now but we definitely need 2 CM's in, Carrick and Schweinsteiger are legless, Fellaini is crap, Schneiderlin is like a deer in the headlights when he gets the ball and Herrera is not a CM.

PieCrust

United need a striker, a CM, a right winger, a no.10 type and a CB. All starters. So that's 5 players that aren't currently on the roster that need to be bought in my opinion. Add a GK if we can't hang on to DDG.

We currently have a squad of very few top level players and a team full of cover/rotational players to go along with the youngsters. Some of it (a lot) is due to LVG sucking the life out of them. But I just don't see a lot of the players being good enough no matter who the manager is. We've over paid for a lot of mediocre to flat out bad talent. I don't know if that is due to LVG and Moyes being retarded with out a DOF or what. But quality signings have to be brought in.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
How come you still need a load of CM's after all of the investment in that position since Ferguson retired?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
How come you still need a load of CM's after all of the investment in that position since Ferguson retired?
Because Carrick's form has dropped off a cliff and he won't get better, not sure BFS is the answer to any question. Also fans will despair if Fellaini is still here next season.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Carrick is finished
Schweinsteiger is not the player he was
Herrera is not a CM
Neither is fellaini
Schneiderlin looks a shadow of the player he was at Southampton

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Carrick is finished
Herrera is not a CM
Neither is fellaini
By the way, what is Herrera? I am not great on players positions. To me a midfielder is a midfielder.

Mainoldo

We could easily win the league with 3 players next season. Griezmann, Zlatan and a decent centre half. A centre midfielder at a push. The team we have now would win this league under a decent manager and still be in the champions league. Don't Moyes fooled again people.

Mainoldo

Carrick is finished
Herrera is not a CM
Neither is fellaini
Herrera is fine in a midfield 3. Schweinsteiger still has it if he plays with moving players. Carrick is questionable but how he plays wouldn't count him out yet.