Ever Banega

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackingFlair

He looked ridiculously slow last time I saw him. He was never the quickest but what I saw was shocking.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Used to love this guy. Back when Barcelona were desperate for Fabregas to replace Xavi, I always saw Banega as the closest thing to Xavi (in terms of positioning, composure, passing range/choice of pass.)

Obviously had a few issues though. He's very talented so he'll always have games here and there where he looks the part, but he's not going to play a part in a consistent top side.

I knew he was moved forward to number 10/attacking midfield for Valencia at one point. Never looked that great there, as Ekeke said.
Is he still playing there?

GeneralGattuso

I love watching Banega play, which is whenever he can be arsed or hasn't run himself over. The guy would be nothing if not entertaining.

Not sure why people are comparing him to Anderson. Anderson was fantastic for the first two seasons but he was never really a CM. SAF got it in his head that he could tackle as well as pass so therefore he should be a CM. But he was always best going forward, running past people, playing quick one-twos... he got injured too many times, got fat and lost all his pace. That was a shame for such potential. But that is nothing like Ever Banega. Banega is about vision, passing, positioning with the odd dirty tackle thrown in. Think of Scholes in his final years, that's more like Banega.

Ekeke

Everyone laughed when I said he just another Anderson.... :wenger::smirk:
Anderson didnt have a season among the best CMs in the league, even in England let alone compared to Barcelona and Real Madrid. Banega is playing for Sevilla in La Liga, Anderson is playing in Brazil

RooneyLegend

We should sign him, he's still one of the best midfielders in the world when he's on.

RooneyLegend

And that's not on a lot of days (especially saturdays and sundays).
He's getting better and better by the week as he's playing week in week out again. His level o ability on the ball is so rare that he'd certainly be worth the risk considering we wouldn't need to pay all that much.

Dr Baltar

Very good player but not good enough for the best teams in Europe. You have to be really special to play for one of the best teams the way he does (eg. Xavi, Pirlo, Scholes) & he's not quite in that bracket.
That's not a knock against him though. If he stays at Sevilla for the next few years then Sevilla & Valencia are great teams to have played the majority of your career at.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He's getting better and better by the week as he's playing week in week out again. His level o ability on the ball is so rare that he'd certainly be worth the risk considering we wouldn't need to pay all that much.
He is probably worse suited to the premier league than veron - and we all remember how that turned out

Not to say he does not posses fantastic ability especially with the ball at his feet and time to look up and spot a pass - just that I dont envisage him being suited to the premier league (insert random wet midweek evening at a windy stoke on a muddy pitch comment)

RooneyLegend

He is probably worse suited to the premier league than veron - and we all remember how that turned out

Not to say he does not posses fantastic ability especially with the ball at his feet and time to look up and spot a pass - just that I dont envisage him being suited to the premier league (insert random wet midweek evening at a windy stoke on a muddy pitch comment)
almost ever small technical player to have come from la liga has been a success in the prem, i dont see where you think he'd fall short?

Ekeke

I think he's slightly more suited than Veron because Banega will put in a tackle and not just be a defensive liability and with his low centre of gravity and decent balance, he should be able to hold off some challenges and win some freekicks. However, he's not a runner or a run maker and his stock is currently as low as its been since he came to England, so I doubt any top club will be taking a chance on him anytime soon.

Either he'll stay at Sevilla or he'll move to a club of similar stature, and then maybe after a really good season a club will take a chance on him. Also wherever he plays, they need to stop using him behind the striker. He's not suited to it at all

Cantona'sCollar

I will always like him, just for looking a tiny bit like Che Guevara (when he has the facial hair). Very good player, though he needs to show he can sustain that 09/10 form. It's clear why Valencia were keen to rid themselves of him. Perhaps a change of league and a very strict manager would revitalise him?

Ekeke

One thing I will say about him and his off the field problems... The main one he fell out with and who fined and dropped him, etc was Unai Emery.

Who is the manager who has taken him on loan this season with an option to buy him? And is picking him? Unai Emery

So he can't be that awful if Emery wants him around and is playing him

Ekeke

Played well again against Zenit as Sevilla progressed in the Europa league. Made 6 tackles, on top of making 38 passes - each the most of Sevilla's players. 2 key passes, 3 dribbles.

Good to see him settling down and becoming one of the main men at Sevilla

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
"an absolute beast who could play in Barcelona's midfield"

Not sure he was ever on this level, but I remember the 2007 Boca team, with Gago and Banega. Remember being really, really impressed with them. They both kind of flopped, haven't they? They had talent to be in big teams today.

Ekeke

"an absolute beast who could play in Barcelona's midfield"

Not sure he was ever on this level, but I remember the 2007 Boca team, with Gago and Banega. Remember being really, really impressed with them. They both kind of flopped, haven't they? They had talent to be in big teams today.
In 09/10 he was the best CM in the league outside of Real and Barcelona, since then he's always been trying to get back to that level but hasnt managed it yet. Even though he's doing well now, he's not quite back to his best yet and you never quite know if something off the field is going to disrupt his momentum again.

His teammate Krychowiak is the one who should be at a top team next season. He has the potential to rival Matic and Schneiderlin as best DM in the league

Cina

@Ekeke if you want to discuss him then make a thread in the FF. Do not bump old threads in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.