Everton's Disallowed Goal

Simple question.....yes/no answer

IF Sigurddsson had not been there, would the events still have played out in the same way?

My answer to that question is 'yes' and therefore, as I said earlier, we were lucky that we got away with it on a technicality
You’re on the wind up.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
As Keane said on Sky, Ancelotti should be more furious that the guy just sat there in an offside position without a care in the world. It's a definite offside and completely avoidable. I'm only surprised that the officials on the field didn't rule it out before VAR took care of making the right decision.
Absolutely. It was a mad play by Sig, the lazy plonker.

montpelier

He'd be entitled to claim it sure but without the deflection it would be one of those decisions that could go either way, I think. The referee/VAR might think "well DDG saw the shot the whole way despite Siggy being near him and was always going to have to move away from Siggy to make the save so it didn't have enough of an effect".

It's only with the deflection taking the ball through Siggy that it becomes a complete no-brainer.
Yes, I get that.

I think I could strengthen my interpretation but it would involve posting an awful lot of theoretical twaddle

Your interpretation of actual stuff should be enough on any common sense basis.

alexthelion

IMO he didn’t interfere in the play, he stand still and just moved his feet so he wouldnt touch the ball, if its such a logical play and there’s no controversy we wouldn’t have this thread. So you mas not be as smart as you think. Simple
Of course he's interfering with the play, if he doesn't move the ball hits him and it's not a goal.

jem

I don't understand why it's even a debate. If that should be a goal, then what's to stop players standing in offside positions and just dummying any shots that come their way?

alexthelion

No....I'm saying

a) Sigurddsson didn't impair DDGs view
b) Sigurddsson didn't make a move towards the ball or a sudden move in-front of DDG
c) The shot was going in anyway

On that basis, I think it's fair to say we were 'lucky' that Sigurddsson was deemed as 'interfering' when I personally don't really see who or what he interfered with.
????????? He had to move to let the ball go in the net. :eek:

MikeeMike

Being neutral. The better thing is , as soon as UTD defenders claim an offside (ref clearly saw possiblilty), the VAR “flag” should be raised . So fans dont get that horrible and bitter feeling of celebrating and 90 seconds later !
Throw a flag to show there will be a review.

kambinks

I don't understand why it's even a debate. If that should be a goal, then what's to stop players standing in offside positions and just dummying any shots that come their way?
Should resign Ando just to stay in the penalty box and make faces at the goalie and dodge when theres a shot.

Rolledo

IMO he didn’t interfere in the play, he stand still and just moved his feet so he wouldnt touch the ball, if its such a logical play and there’s no controversy we wouldn’t have this thread. So you mas not be as smart as you think. Simple
Does the wall interfere with play on a direct free kick?

Bestietom

I have always thought that the offside rule is of no benefit in the modern game.

It really servers no useful purpose and almost always causes problems.
The game is far too compressed in the midfield and so stretching the play could lead to more open and expansive football.

Football is an entertainment business and it is goals that are the highlight.
Had he not moved his legs the ball would have hit him, so he must have interfered with play.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Had he not moved his legs the ball would have hit him, so he must have interfered with play.
Right.
I am in complete agreement that he was offside.
I just don't see any need for a stupid law like the offside law.

What does it add to the game.

Anustart89

Right.

Imagine two people standing in front of the goalkeeper at all times as the midfielders peppered the goal with shots :lol: Wouldn't that be fun?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Right.

Players can hit a 60m long ball with ease. If the attacker is allowed to stay close to the box without being offside of course he's going to stay there so that as soon as his team mates get possession they'll hit a long one to him and he'd be through. Now that means that the other team needs to keep a man back, preferably two, to mark him. Now what if there are two forwards? 3 men to stay back at all time? Same situation at both ends of the pitch with a gulf of space in the middle between them occupied by fewer players than what were used to.

The offside rule is about 180 years old for a reason. I don't know how you can watch football and think that it would benefit from having no offsides.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Players can hit a 60m long ball with ease. If the attacker is allowed to stay close to the box without being offside of course he's going to stay there so that as soon as his team mates get possession they'll hit a long one to him and he'd be through. Now that means that the other team needs to keep a man back, preferably two, to mark him. Now what if there are two forwards? 3 men to stay back at all time? Same situation at both ends of the pitch with a gulf of space in the middle between them occupied by fewer players than what were used to.

The offside rule is about 180 years old for a reason. I don't know how you can watch football and think that it would benefit from having no offsides.
So the current situation is better is it.

Play is stopped if a player is judged offside a couple of mm inside the opposition half.

A goal is disallowed because a players elbow or backside is a mm beyond the line of the last defender.

In my opinion, because of VAR, far too many goals are disallowed for miniscule infringement of the offside rule, ruining the fans enjoyment for no positive benefit.

GazTheLegend

Play is stopped if a player is judged offside a couple of mm inside the opposition half.

A goal is disallowed because a players elbow or backside is a mm beyond the line of the last defender.

In my opinion, because of VAR, far too many goals are disallowed for miniscule infringement of the offside rule, ruining the fans enjoyment for no positive benefit.
It's because they have to draw a line (literally) somewhere and make it black and white.

montpelier

4 2 4 playing 4 2 4 I suppose.

18 of the 22 players all about 7ft tall

Plenty of VAR involvement, probably after each launch into the box as they decide who fouled the goalie this time

DVG7

If he just sits there and does nothing, the ball hits him = offside, and this would have been him not interfering with play.

The fact that he does move, is interfering with play. His action immediately resulted in a goal. If he pulled his leg out the way and the call rolled across the goal and someone tapped it in then I’d see an argument for it being allowed.

it’s such an obvious offside though.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Now you're talking about how English football treats VAR rather than why we have an offside rule but in short it's absolutely better like it is now. VAR in the PL is shit however, much more so than anywhere else.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

So you want to completely destroy the spectacle of football because players can be judged offside by a couple of mm?

MikeeMike

The ref should throw a flag aka American football, even if there is a slight doubt. Stops fans going wild only to be gutted 90 seconds later. Simple

Denis' cuff

that you had to explain this to makes my eyes bamboozled :lol::lol:
Shows how conditioned you can become. My eyes are still recovering :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

maybe better than watching 90 minutes of humpty dumpty where the majority of the game is played 25 yards either side of the halfway line.

im not convinced either but wouldn’t mind an experiment in a lower league. Surely the game has moved beyond primary school goal hangers. The offside law, or more to the point, it’s ever changing interpretations are a fecking joke.