Everton's Third Goal

NinjaFletch

Anger and emotion aside, seeing as it didn't affect the result and all.

But what say you Caf, should that have stood?

I say that its very clearly not a goal, Lukaku runs towards the ball clearly with the intention of playing it, and it bounces through to Mirallas. I can't see the argument that he's not interfering with play there seeing as his movement is what has allowed Mirallas to score.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
The movements of an offside player distracted and affected the opposition. Textbook offside.

izec

no offside. You see them given and here it is the same. He ran towards the ball but stopped early.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
definitely offside and another piss poor piece of officiating in the match. only meant it finished 3-0 instead of 2-0 though so not the end of the world. hopefully it means we buy a right back in the summer too.

El Zoido

It was offside, the ball was played to Lukaku. The flag should have gone up immediately. You can't blame the defenders for not racing back when they've already played a successful offside trap.

Dobba

What happened to playing to the whistle?
As I said at the time in the match thread, just how many abysmal calls have to be shown on MOTD this season before players stop assuming the officials will get it right and stop the game? The players must be aware of them, they must be.

Like Barkley's dive to get Fellaini booked, our ineptitude and the final score will stop this from being a talking point.

bdecuc

To me the movement by Lukaku to the ball makes him offside. The ball was very near him at that point although it was moving past him.

Don't know the exact wording of the rules but if that's a goal according to the rules then the rules are absurd.

And ok we didn't look like getting back into it but it still finished the game and robbed us of 15 minutes of at least trying to get two goals.

Jerch

Offside but we would lose anyway. We just didn't had the luck which is needed.

comlag

Dreadful refereeing throughout the whole match. The goal is offside because Lukaku is clearly off, the linesman raises his flag and so the defenders stop playing momentarily. I agree they should still play to the whistle but refs rarely whistle immediately or even whistle at all for an offside especially one so clear.

To be fair we've had a couple of offsides in our favour of late so you could say it was karma, however the rest of the refs decisions were purely bias.

Aboutreika18

Funny considering how Rooney moving out of the way of Herrera's shot against Preston, while in an offside position, was seen as being clearly onside by most on here.

Shoe on the other foot and all that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anger and emotion aside, seeing as it didn't affect the result and all.

But what say you Caf, should that have stood?

I say that its very clearly not a goal, Lukaku runs towards the ball clearly with the intention of playing it, and it bounces through to Mirallas. I can't see the argument that he's not interfering with play there seeing as his movement is what has allowed Mirallas to score.
Years ago this was 100% certain offside job.

These days, it's all open to interpretation, and I think Everton were bloody fortunate 1) the lino didn't flag, and 2) our players all switched off.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Funny considering how Rooney moving out of the way of Herrera's shot against Preston, while in an offside position, was seen as being clearly onside by most on here.

he didn't affect it though

when someone puts a cross in, that's obviously aimed at the guy right in the middle of the pitch, it's quite likely that's affecting things.

naturalized

Supports
nufc
Did the flag actually go up as some are suggesting? I don't remember that.

Unless it did, should've played to the whistle.

buckooo1978

The ball bounced just in front of Lukaku and our players had all stopped - I understand play to the whistle but the whistle should have been blown - I could understand if Lukaku was walking back but he was chasing it and if I remember correctly he stretched for the ball

Linesman error but time to move on

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Wasn't offside to me. I'm more annoyed about how everybody just stood around and watched. Luckily we were pretty much out of the game at 2-0, so meant little in the end bar a larger defeat

El Zoido

Offside rule should just go back to how it used to be IMO. At least everyone knows where they stand.

rpitchfo

It's obviously up for interpretation and that's the problem - no matter what the rules currently say that situation SHOULD be offside. I don't think anybody wants to see people benefiting off that type of confusion, it's not a good goal, it's a technicality. End the confusion.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
if that's legal we should just get falcao to run around their keeper in a circle for the entire 90 minutes next match. he's feck all use for much else.

Dobba

It's obviously up for interpretation and that's the problem - no matter what the rules currently say that situation SHOULD be offside. I don't think anybody wants to see people benefiting off that type of confusion, it's not a good goal, it's a technicality. End the confusion.
The FA won't give up their "Get Out Of Jail Free" interpretation card that easily. The alternative is holding their officials accountable for getting things wrong and we know how much they like doing that.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
This

Brophs

The One and Only
Don't worry about it, guys. Thierry Henry just analysed it and his expert opinion is that Chris Smalling stepped up to play offside. So....

Leg-End

If that's now considered legal then the offside trap is on its arse, the striker can influence the trap and a midfielder can run from deep onto the ball unopposed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Offside, clear as day. Awful decision IMO. I understand when it can be made an argument that the player leaves it from the start and the pass wasn't meant for him. Lukaku went for it, realised he was offside as our defence stopped and flag went up, and then mirallas sprints in to try and salvage something and the ref let's it go. You can't just do that, as he made the movement and basically interfered with play as he went to get it at first.

Wouldn't have changed anything, but mariner was shite all day and gave every single thing against us so its not surprising that went against us as well.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It affected nothing, but it's offside as soon as he moves towards the ball (which he did). Rubbish decision... but not the worst in the game (Which goes to that "foul" on Lennon when he fell over next to Young, which was hilarious)

dsch

Should have been offside. The cross was aimed at him, and he moved towards the ball. It would have been an easy offside to give as well, so close to the halfway line.

Rooney in the cup could have been given, but was a bit different. It was a shot and not a pass to him, and he didn't move towards it but the opposite. So the question there is whether he was interfering with play.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was offside and should've been called. He made an attempt to go for the ball, the ball was played specifically to him and the defence reacted to him being offside. If he was walking back or stood still then I could understand but when he ran for the ball, he should've been flagged.

The officials were utter shit, not that they or this goal affected the result.

AllezLesDiables

Clear offside play. Lukaku clearly affected the defenders. The ball itself landed quite close to him and then Mirallas ran on to it.

Bad for the defense to stop but I could see why they did.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

That's the big difference. Rooney moved out of the way and Lukaku moved towards the ball.

It was clearly offside and its not up for debate. Lukaku interferes with play by moving towards the ball. We'll see no issue made about it as we were well beaten already.

And we'll see nothing brought up about Barkley's dive to get Fellaini booked either.

Manchie

But it was not only Valencia but McNair and Smalling also stopped

dsch

It affected nothing, but it's offside as soon as he moves towards the ball (which he did). Rubbish decision... but not the worst in the game (Which goes to that "foul" on Lennon when he fell over next to Young, which was hilarious)
When there are multiple candidates for "worse decision of the game" ...

stu_1992

It's hard to say, but what I do know is you can't just switch off unless it's definitely given. That's cost us the goal, more than any "offside definition" today.