Evra retires

diarm

Great video. What a player and what a personality! I'd happily sacrifice half our current squad for one peak Evra.

baskinginthesun

A legend. Hopefully, he enjoys retirement or even comes back to United in an ambassador or coaching capacity or something.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Love him to bits. Hopefully he’s involved in some capacity as he seems to properly ‘get’ the club.

Krits

Loved him, an absolute legend of our club and deserves all the adoration he received for not only being a committed player but a great human being. Miss having him around.

bdspeedy

One of my favourite United players ever, an absolute legend! Watch the video made in his tribute, it's excellent.
Fantastic video. I love Luke but what a mistake letting Pat go. What an f-ing legend. I was looking for a clean link to post this but I'm glad someone beat me to it. We need his kind of passion for the game and more importantly, for the club.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Why are you comparing Lingard with Evra? Bit strange really. Also, what has Lingard got to do with Pat retiring? I didn’t know Lingard was a left back? Football. Bloody hell.
Great player and would love to have a prime-version of him now. For some reason, I find him really annoying though (I know, I know...) However, the difference between him and Lingard is that Evra had the quality to play LB for any team; Lingard is nowhere near good enough for us. I fully expect an angry barrage due to this post :nervous:

K13

Who would have thought after his first game that he would go onto do so well.

In full attacking mode was a sight to behold. Wonderful player and a very interesting character as well.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
One of my favourite ever players, it was just hard not to smile when he was involved because of his personality and ability.

I genuinely thought he'd already retired.

Anyway what a player... was one of the best left backs in the world for a time.
He was comfortably the best in the world for two or three years, then up there for another couple after that.

jem

Why are you comparing Lingard with Evra? Bit strange really. Also, what has Lingard got to do with Pat retiring? I didn’t know Lingard was a left back? Football. Bloody hell.
Both post idiotic things on social media.

DoomSlayer

not really, but that video with the egg was unsettling.
Well, there is your answer. Extravagant characters, mad geniuses, but gave their bodies and life for our club when on the pitch. How can you compare them with Lingard is beyond me.

Evra even said in the interview with Neville that he sacrificed his family to be 1000% committed to United. Referenced the famous "United, kids, wife" banner to showcase what it really means the represent this club.

jem

Well, there is your answer. Extravagant characters, mad geniuses, but gave their bodies and life for our club when on the pitch. How can you compare them with Lingard is beyond me.

Evra even said in the interview with Neville that he sacrificed his family to be 1000% committed to United. Referenced the famous "United, kids, wife" banner to showcase what it really means the represent this club.
The point is simply that off-field antics, if harmless, are easy to ignore if the player produces the goods. Not sure why you are having trouble grasping that.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Not really - why do you say that?
Because your focusing your arguments based around social media and what players do off the football pitch. Lingard gets vilified on here and I think it’s wrong. Stop singling out one player and get behind our current crop of players for the up and coming season.

Ban

In times when a word legend gets thrown around too easily he certainly is one.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Very consistent, top quality player and second only to Ashley Cole in that position.

jem

Because your focusing your arguments based around social media and what players do off the football pitch. Lingard gets vilified on here and I think it’s wrong. Stop singling out one player and get behind our current crop of players for the up and coming season.
If he produces the goods on the pitch, much like Evra did, then he can post duets with Rashy every day for all I’ll care. Sadly that hasn’t been the case thus far.

vulmik

Evra:

-"When we reached the Champions League final with Juventus she said she'd told me so, but even winning three Champions Leagues with Juve wouldn't have had the same satisfaction of playing for United."

Also Evra:

-"When I go back, I want Manchester United people to play for the badge and the history, the Busby Babes. That's me, maybe it's crazy and I take it too seriously, because it's only football, but that's my way.
"The fans used to make a flag saying 'United, Kids, Wife' in that order but I didn't find it funny, that was my life! Even when I was at home I was thinking about how we would win our next game. That flag, for me was true."

What a man. Give him a statue

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
He was better :)
There was very little between them, but Cole was the one who was consistently put in the World 11 team of that era by those in the game and the media. Cole dealt so easily with C Ronaldo as well! Anyway, i think we both agree they are both leagues ahead of the current Utd and Chelsea left backs!

DoomSlayer

Great video overall but listen to what Evra is saying about Sir Alex's retirement after 11:32. :eek: Sir Alex apparently said he is definitely staying for 5 more years, building a new squad to win the CL and Ronaldo was 99% definite to come back - all that just some weeks before the announcement.

The story with Woodward is insane as well. Another example of what an absolute twat that guy is. I urge every fan to watch this in its' entirety. Evra should be in the pantheon of the most legendary Manchester United players.

Last edited:

DoomSlayer

Fans should really take the time to watch the video I shared in my previous comment. Some incredibly stories from Evra and also you can clearly see how much our club means to him.

Le Red

The point is simply that off-field antics, if harmless, are easy to ignore if the player produces the goods. Not sure why you are having trouble grasping that.
That's because for some players, off-field antics are just a pastime and they're fully commited to football. For other players it's the other way around.
Evra is the former and Lingard is the latter, hence why your comparison doesn't stand.

jem

That's because for some players, off-field antics are just a pastime and they're fully commited to football. For other players it's the other way around.
Evra is the former and Lingard is the latter, hence why your comparison doesn't stand.
No that was pretty much my point - one produces the goods (hence I don’t care about his antics); the other doesn’t (I still don’t really care about his antics, annoying though they might be.)