Exciting time for the academy ?

TheReligion

Abusive
A more positive thread.

It seems like some of the work done with the academy in terms of developing talent and attracting it is starting to pay off somewhat.

Looking at the first team currently we have Garnacho and Mainoo breaking through with Hannibal on the periphery.

There’s then the likes of Dan Gore, who looks next closest, followed by some other potential younger gems in Harry Amass, Shea Lacey, Finlay McAllister and the Fletchers.

The U18 category looks particularly strong at the moment and there’s a few other names in the academy in general that could be mentioned I know.

There’s also the likes of Alvaro Fernandez and Mason Greenwood getting minutes in La Liga, and Amad Diallo hoping to force his way in to the side following injury with a 20 year old Rasmus Hojlund. Then away from the club Antony Elanga and Teden Mengi are both enjoying regular premier league football and seem to be thriving. You could also add James Garner to that same list at Everton.

https://archive.ph/5QLuf#selection-2345.4-2345.143

This article from the telegraph highlights the club recognised it had fell behind City and made a concerted effort to restructure and invest as a consequence but does it seem that in terms of youth the club are starting to get back on track?

Its certainly an exciting time and there’s plenty of genuine quality coming through at each level.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm hoping Ethan Williams will keep improving. A 2 footed, pacy, physical forward who isn't a total arsewipe would be :drool:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Cant count Amad or Hojlund as Academy players but good for the future of United I suppose

We shipped out a whole list of Academy players this summer, not really followed how any of them are doing apart from the couple in the PL

We have more Academy players getting first team minutes at the moment than for a long time:
Rashford, McTominay, Garnacho, Mainoo, Hannibal and even Evans

telstar96

I think there's definitely much to be positive about the academy at the moment. The FA Youth Cup win in 2022 was probably the best moment for the club that season, given how bad the senior team were.

What I would say however is that United fans are longing for another Busby babes, class of 92 crop of players to come through all at the same time. Just to have 1/2 academy players in the first team that goes on to win titles is a success. We don't need to emulate the past. A good academy can still be one that grows and develops players before selling them on. The impact that would have on FFP but also on our ability to attract more young talent would be huge. Not every academy player has to be a United fan destined for the first team. Ideally we'd have a pathway for the best and then loan or sell others.

daba

It really is a shame about Greenwood and I had really high hopes for Mengi after seeing bits of his performances in the youth teams. How is he getting on at Luton? Seems to be getting minutes and has been injury free so far which is great. I wonder if we have a cheap buy back clause we can activate in in a couple years?

Seems like we have a decent pipeline of new players coming through. Adding 1-2 academy players to your squad each season should be the absolute minimum aim with at least one of them seriously breaking through into the first team.

Last year = Garnacho
This year = Mainoo?
Next year = Dan Gore + Alvaro coming back?
Year after = Shea Lacey + Mengi coming back?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Very happy with Garnacho and Mainoo, and the signing of Hojlund. It’s really shame with Greenwood otherwise we will have awesome attack trio there. Next in the line I’d have high expectation on is Hansen-Aaroen, who still need to bulk up abit. He could be potentially a perfect AM in the mould of Scholes/Modric for us. Of course we also have few others like Gore and Alvaro who might be good.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The academy has been consistently churning out talent for years in my opinion. We have so many ex players plying a trade across the PL that it’s a testament to our excellent academy.

If it wasn’t for personal behaviour, we could plausibly have a front three of academy players right now, in Rashford, Garnacho and Greenwood. Which is amazing for a big club.

Our academy “falling behind” was always hugely overblown. It certainly didn’t match up to City’s in terms of infrastructure, and it still doesn’t. But in terms of sheer volume of professional talent coming through, it has always been at the top in the country. It’s the one thing that you would say is part of the United DNA. A phrase I hate using but in this case is true.

Right now we have Mainoo and Hannibal on the cusp of the first team, which again, is a tremendous success. Most players who come through will be shipped out, as it’s hard to make the grade at United - as it should be; but people think the academy is failing because we aren’t selling youngsters for big fees. That’s because we hold on to them long enough to see if they can make it in the first team, so by the time we sell them (21, 22 etc), we are no longer selling based purely on anticipated potential. Hence the lower fees.

But we don’t want to run the academy for profit, we want to run it as a viable pathway to first team football. Which sometimes means academy products stay around a year or two longer than their peak value.

We have another big talent coming through in Lacey, and the early signs from the Fletchers is very, very good.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
The academy has been consistently churning out talent for years in my opinion. We have so many ex players plying a trade across the PL that it’s a testament to our excellent academy.

If it wasn’t for personal behaviour, we could plausibly have a front three of academy players right now, in Rashford, Garnacho and Greenwood. Which is amazing for a big club.

Our academy “falling behind” was always hugely overblown. It certainly didn’t match up to City’s in terms of infrastructure, and it still doesn’t. But in terms of sheer volume of professional talent coming through, it has always been at the top in the country. It’s the one thing that you would say is part of the United DNA. A phrase I hate using but in this case is true.

Right now we have Mainoo and Hannibal on the cusp of the first team, which again, is a tremendous success. Most players who come through will be shipped out, as it’s hard to make the grade at United - as it should be; but people think the academy is failing because we aren’t selling youngsters for big fees. That’s because we hold on to them long enough to see if they can make it in the first team, so by the time we sell them (21, 22 etc), we are no longer selling based purely on anticipated potential. Hence the lower fees.

But we don’t want to run the academy for profit, we want to run it as a viable pathway to first team football. Which sometimes means academy products stay around a year or two longer than their peak value.

We have another big talent coming through in Lacey, and the early signs from the Fletchers is very, very good.
Good post. We are genuinely very good at developing players and given them a strong career in the game.

Our issue is that we were spoilt by the class of 92 in the sense its very rare to have such a large group of players become such important focal points for the club.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Good post. We are genuinely very good at developing players and given them a strong career in the game.

Our issue is that we were spoilt by the class of 92 in the sense its very rare to have such a large group of players become such important focal points for the club.
Weird thing is fans of other clubs are of aware of our academy conveyer belt. Most only think of the Class of 92 as our academy success.

r0663664

Worships Man City

I totally agree with selling the players too late. Ideally players who doesn't have what it takes to be XI should be sold at 19 or 20 with a buyback clause inserted. If we can convert 1-2 academy players to XI every year, we don't have to spend big on the transfer market.

dubplate warrior

Shea Lacey looks like the next biggest talent in the academy to break through atm.

He's also a left footed right winger.

Lentwood

Januzaj and Greenwood should both have been absolute superstars by now, such a shame they couldn't handle the mental side of being labelled "the next big thing" at an early age.

You can see there's a really concerted effort to keep Garnacho grounded. Hopefully we can shield Mainoo from some of the expectation. With England lacking somewhat in CM, I don't think it will be long before he is called up to the senior squad.

Borninthe80ts

I’ve mentioned this in a few different threads and fully agree there has been a substantial improvement and emphasis put on our academy and young players in general .

Part of the reason I hope we keep faith with the current manager is that I believe I large part of this effort is coming from him. He has a reputation and has stated in the past his passion for integrating the youth at whatever club he is at and he has experience and proven success with this.

In 2 years we will probably have between 5 to 10 players leaving or retiring so there will definitely be squad places available it’s just whether the ones good enough will be ready. There are to different groups for me. You have the 18 to 21 who have maybe 3 to 4 I think will follow Mainoo and Garnacho. The current under 18s though have the best crop at that level since McKenna was in charge and play good football. Some of the stars have been mentioned but another name is Fitzgerald.
Saying that a lot of the unheralded members have made an impact this season, such as Missin, so yeah I’d say exciting times hopefully ahead.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It was Murtough who restructured the academy right? Credit where credit is due.
Yes, it was Murtough who oversaw the revamp at youth/academy level after David Gill's neglect of the academy. City had started poaching players from under our noses and trying to sign top talent from the areas City were controlling had become very very difficult until Murtough arrived. Kobbie Mainoo from Stockport was among the first batch of kids Murtough brought in to swing the balance whilst being restricted financially in comparison to the oil riches at City.

Mainoo and Garnacho are two young players who I believe have been pushed into the first team by John Murtough because they're his players and he brought both players to the club. And I believe there's a few more players at youth level who could well have a similar impact in the coming years. The only problem that we had previously was that there wasn't a defined playing style at first team level which would then trickle down to the youth teams. I believe that's happening now with ten Hag taking a active role in developing young players for a more dominant play style with data scientist Alex Kleyn joining the club to assist in aiding the coaches to connect the dots between the youth and first team.

TheReligion

Abusive
This needs a bump I feel.

We are playing a really young set of players at the moment and it seems to go unnoticed.

Gore and Kambwala both making debuts and looking more than capable, Mainoo becoming a regular, Garnacho becoming a match winner…

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

We are playing a really young set of players at the moment and it seems to go unnoticed.

Gore and Kambwala both making debuts and looking more than capable, Mainoo becoming a regular, Garnacho becoming a match winner…
I’m always happier when 3/4 of the team are from the academy. The past ten years most of the positives have been kids coming through. Januzaj, Rashford, Greenwood, Garnacho, Mainoo and others who didn’t work out like Gomes.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

It’s great, isn’t it? If Garnacho can be as productive from the right as he can be from the left, plus Mainoo developing as we all hope/expect him to, that’s circa £100m (conservative) saved on 2 key positions we need quality in right there. That’s without even considering the rest of them.

TheReligion

Abusive
It’s great, isn’t it? If Garnacho can be as productive from the right as he can be from the left, plus Mainoo developing as we all hope/expect him to, that’s circa £100m (conservative) saved on 2 key positions we need quality in right there. That’s without even considering the rest of them.
It’s brilliant and although I say it through gritted teeth the drive to improve at academy level a few years ago seems to have worked (have to credit Murtough).

I’m confident Dan Gore can make it and become a really good player, whilst Jack Fletcher looks fantastic along with Harry Amass and Shea Lacey.

We’ve also got young signings like Hojlund and Amad to develop.

When you see Mengi, Elanga and Garner all thriving at PL level you have to say we do seem to be getting this right..

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It’s brilliant and although I say it through gritted teeth the drive to improve at academy level a few years ago seems to have worked (have to credit Murtough).

I’m confident Dan Gore can make it and become a really good player, whilst Jack Fletcher looks fantastic along with Harry Amass and Shea Lacey.

We’ve also got young signings like Hojlund and Amad to develop.

When you see Mengi, Elanga and Garner all thriving at PL level you have to say we do seem to be getting this right..
Yeah I don’t think anyone can complain. My only gripe is hopefully we get to start selling the ones not good enough/needing first team football for better prices like city and Chelsea, to name a few. A pity it hasn’t worked out for Laird (injuries iirc was a big factor?) because we could do with a couple of defenders/fullbacks looking as promising as Mainoo etc. We seem to be thriving with technically gifted midfielders in our academy at the moment.

Dan_F

Yes, it was Murtough who oversaw the revamp at youth/academy level after David Gill's neglect of the academy. City had started poaching players from under our noses and trying to sign top talent from the areas City were controlling had become very very difficult until Murtough arrived. Kobbie Mainoo from Stockport was among the first batch of kids Murtough brought in to swing the balance whilst being restricted financially in comparison to the oil riches at City.

Mainoo and Garnacho are two young players who I believe have been pushed into the first team by John Murtough because they're his players and he brought both players to the club. And I believe there's a few more players at youth level who could well have a similar impact in the coming years. The only problem that we had previously was that there wasn't a defined playing style at first team level which would then trickle down to the youth teams. I believe that's happening now with ten Hag taking a active role in developing young players for a more dominant play style with data scientist Alex Kleyn joining the club to assist in aiding the coaches to connect the dots between the youth and first team.
It seems a shame that we promoted him to a role he wasn’t experienced enough for, only to now lose him from the club altogether.

TheReligion

Abusive
At United (first team)
Garnacho 19
Mainoo 18
Hojlund 20
Hannibal 20
Kambwala 19
Gore 19
Amad 21
Pellistri 21
Rashford 26
Mctominay 27
Evans 35

On loan (playing)
Greenwood 22
Williams 23
Fernandez 20
Fish 20

At United (youth)
Lacey 16
Amass 16
Jack Fletcher 16
McAllistair 17
Fitzgerald 16

Elsewhere
Garner 22
Mengi 21
Elanga 21
Gomes 23

Last edited:

pascell

At United (first team)
Garnacho 19
Mainoo 18
Hojlund 20
Hannibal 20
Kambwala 19
Gore 19
Amad 21
Pellistri 21

On loan (playing)
Greenwood 22
Williams 23
Fernandez 20
Fish 20

At United (youth)
Lacey 16
Amass 16
Jack Fletcher 16
McAllistair 17
Fitzgerald 16

Elsewhere
Garner 22
Mengi 21
Elanga 21
Gomes 23
Evans 35 (first team)

Edit: Tuanzebe 26 (elsewhere)
Heaton 37 (first team)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah I don’t think anyone can complain. My only gripe is hopefully we get to start selling the ones not good enough/needing first team football for better prices like city and Chelsea, to name a few. A pity it hasn’t worked out for Laird (injuries iirc was a big factor?) because we could do with a couple of defenders/fullbacks looking as promising as Mainoo etc. We seem to be thriving with technically gifted midfielders in our academy at the moment.
:lol: Ish I thought you were here long enough

sack Fletcher etc

CallyRed

It is a fascinating time. Wouldn't it be amazing in 2-3 years time we have a midfield of Gore, Mainoo and Fletcher(s). I know it's very unlikely but whilst it's great and exciting buying the more established player, there really is something special seeing the development of players from youth through to the first team.

The-Mezzala

How Good is Shea Lacey? Heard lots of hype. I am all for giving Academy players a chance. What this club is all about and most of our successful sides have had a core homegrown academy base in the team

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
:lol: Ish I thought you were here long enough

sack Fletcher etc
:lol: geebs, that’s just the optimist in me. I’m trying hard to drown out the negativity and just enjoy - what I think he been a good few days for the club (the 25% deal announced, changes happening at the top, great win v Villa featuring tons of academy players :drool:).

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm really intrigued to watch Ethan Williams' progress. I think he's got it all to go on and be a top forward if he works hard enough for it, he's a pretty unique skillset.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
:lol: geebs, that’s just the optimist in me. I’m trying hard to drown out the negativity and just enjoy - what I think he been a good few days for the club (the 25% deal announced, changes happening at the top, great win v Villa featuring tons of academy players :drool:).
I must admit we we went 2-0 down in the first half, with brailsford taking notes, I thought that was it for ETH. I think that was so close to my own breaking point and had that finished in a defeat I think that would have been it for me.
But absolutely delighted to see the turnaround and I am over the moon for the young lads. Delighted the club is going back to its roots

Skills

Snitch
Isn't this all pretty much Murtough's work at the youth level?

pacifictheme

It really is a shame about Greenwood and I had really high hopes for Mengi after seeing bits of his performances in the youth teams. How is he getting on at Luton? Seems to be getting minutes and has been injury free so far which is great. I wonder if we have a cheap buy back clause we can activate in in a couple years?

Seems like we have a decent pipeline of new players coming through. Adding 1-2 academy players to your squad each season should be the absolute minimum aim with at least one of them seriously breaking through into the first team.

Last year = Garnacho
This year = Mainoo?
Next year = Dan Gore + Alvaro coming back?
Year after = Shea Lacey + Mengi coming back?
Next year maybe kambwala. He has looked pretty good so far.

I have high hopes for the fletchers as well, but they are still quite young yet.

Chumpsbechumps

I must admit we we went 2-0 down in the first half, with brailsford taking notes, I thought that was it for ETH. I think that was so close to my own breaking point and had that finished in a defeat I think that would have been it for me.
But absolutely delighted to see the turnaround and I am over the moon for the young lads. Delighted the club is going back to its roots
Exciting times with the young kids, no doubt

TheReligion

Abusive
Mainoo and Garnacho both on long term deals too !