Explaining "form" in football

Skills

Snitch
What do you mainly attribute it to? Not just team form, but players form. Teams go on runs but so do players - it's probably most easily seen with strikers. I saw in the Liverpool thread a conversation, about how their run of form was massively dependent on luck but I personally don't buy it. I think there's a few things that roll into it.

1) Run of fixtures - favourable set of fixtures can get the ball rolling and build up momentum.
2) Injuries - having your best players available is obviously important.
3) Confidence - players playing more confidence, conviction and self belief are more likely to play more positively, which translates onto the pitch. I think most people accept that this is probably the most important factor.
4) Psychological - opposition players/coaching staff being aware of your recent good run can also play into their minds. A defender coming across a striker who's scored a few in the last few games, is probably already expecting a tough game. And this can result in them making more mistakes or being slightly off their game. Coaches are also more likely to set up more cautiously against a team in good form, which can throw your own players off. I think this a slightly underrated factor.
5) Referees - referees obviously don't live in silos and are aware of a teams recent run of games. I think refs being aware of this, can lead to some positive bias for teams who are in a good run of form.

Form is a bit funny, because teams can be in a good run of home form/away form/cup form. Sometimes it doesn't translate across different formats/competitions which is a bit weird. Sometimes players/managers can take it across to different clubs (see Mourinho's undefeated home streak).

Personally, I think 3 & 4 make the bulk of it (in that order).

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Mostly number 4. At least that's what I attribute something like Jamie Vary's record breaking goal scoring run from a few years back to. Or his career in general to be honest.

VanKenny

Confidence and mentality. If you are a striker and the ball is coming towards you and you are inside the box, if you waste a fraction of a second hesitating about what you are going to do, thinking whether or not you will do it right etc you are pretty much done.

If you trust in yourself and in your ability, and strike the ball with confidence without second guessing anything, chances are you will get it right more times than not assuming you are actually a good player.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Think about your own FIFA performances. Generally you play at the same level but sometimes you get in a flow where you play extremely well and sometimes you lose twice in a row against the most shitty FIFA player in your circle of friends. It happens.

baskinginthesun

Burnout. Being overplayed means you peak in matches earlier or you dont quite get to the levels you did a few matches ago. I think the winter break is supposed to help with this, however.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Burnout. Being overplayed means you peak in matches earlier or you dont quite get to the levels you did a few matches ago. I think the winter break is supposed to help with this, however.
Shouldn't be such a big issue with nowadays knowledge of sports science training. The amount of games take the toll, but with a well managed training schema + meal plan you can get over it.