FA Cup or Top Four?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Optimism is flowing through reds after yesterday's win in the derby.We could still finish 4th! We could win the Fa Cup! We could do both?
If given a choice now which would you take, finishing fourth or lifting the FA Cup in May?

Von Mistelroum

I'd prefer 4th, but I'd take Van Gaal leaving (and being replaced by someone competent) over both.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
FA Cup, Definitely.

We need to keep the winning mentality within the club - whatever the trophy.

Plus, in 10 years time, nobody will care that we spent one season in the Champions League, getting knocked out to Athletico Madrid in the Last 16... they'll care that we won the FA Cup though

Last edited:

Drifter

American
FA Cup for me . Even if we get fourth ,it's not as if we'll do much in the CL.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
not even a debate FA Cup. We aren't going to win the CL. I also can't remember what winning a trophy feels like.

applemacdan

4th place for me.

Immediate short term, allows us to potentially attract the better players in the summer and set us up for better campaign next year.

The worlds elite players that would be interested in signing will be more attracted by the fact we are playing Champions League football, rather than being the current FA Cup holders.

So FA Cup is a short term win.. but CL football give us the best chance of silverware over the next few seasons.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
4th place for me.

Immediate short term, allows us to potentially attract the better players in the summer and set us up for better campaign next year.

The worlds elite players that would be interested in signing will be more attracted by the fact we are playing Champions League football, rather tan being the current FA Cup holders.

So FA Cup is a short term win.. but CL football give us the best chance of silverware over the next few seasons.
When has this really happened before though? In fact, we bought arguably our biggest "superstar" of recent times in a summer where we didn't have CL football the following season.

Plus, with Mourinho in charge - and being that we're Manchester United - we'll have no problems attracting players.

Stringer

Being in the Champions League will help us to attract better players therefore it's an easy decision.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
FA Cup, Definitely.

We need to keep the winning mentality within the club - whatever the trophy.

Plus, in 10 years time, nobody will care that we spent one season in the Champions League, getting knocked out by Athletico Madrid some unknown Armenian farmers in the Last 16... Group Stage, they'll care that we won the FA Cup though
This.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
a Poll would be good on this

last season a similar question was offered and I wanted top4, but this year I might change my view and go for the cup win

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
FA Cup.

Not winning is a slippery slope, the longer we go without a trophy the harder itll be

saivet

FA Cup. Look at us in the CL this season, a waste of time. No exciting games and knocked out in a dismal manner. No point qualifying for CL if we pose no challenge.

Sparky Rhiwabon

4th place for me.

The worlds elite players that would be interested in signing will be more attracted by the fact we are playing Champions League football, rather than being the current FA Cup holders.

This - you have to look beyond the 24 hour thrill of winning the cup - sadly

Annihilate Now!

Scout
This - you have to look beyond the 24 hour thrill of winning the cup - sadly
But surely with the cup you are? As you're thinking about a trophy that will go down in the history books of Manchester United?

And as I said above - Champions League football will have very little - if any - baring on the sort of players we can attract to the club in the summer.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Top 4. It's not even a question.

• DDG is definitely off with no CL next season.
  • Mourinho has a good track record in CL. We won't get knocked out in the groups. QF will be realistic, SF a dream. From there anything can happen.
  • Top 4 would be on the expense of City. A massive 'feck you' to Pep.
  • Easier to attract big names if playing in CL. Why would they sign for the blue side of Manchester when the red is playing in a more elite competition?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'd love 4th, but I think the FA cup would edge it if I had to choose.

Sir A1ex

Got to be FA Cup, but it is a bit of a heart > head decision.

I do worry about the impact of no Champions league for the 2nd time in 3 seasons. It was relatively easy to brush it off as a blip the first time.

Moonred

Top 4. No CL does influence player acquisition according to me. Winning the FA cup is great but not at the expense of Top 4. Denying Arsenal/City also helps in reducing competition for players. I know we did acquire high profile player the last time we missed out on Cl, but if it starts becoming a regular occurrence, it becomes worrying for potential players. It's a tough choice.

Sparky Rhiwabon

But surely with the cup you are? As you're thinking about a trophy that will go down in the history books of Manchester United?

And as I said above - Champions League football will have very little - if any - baring on the sort of players we can attract to the club in the summer.
I think that's a little bit naive - look at the quality of players we have attracted recently. Di Maria the obvious exception but that was because Madrid wanted him gone and his wages were so high no one else bar us or PSG would pay them

Drifter

American
If a player only wants to come to United because of the CL then he's not worth getting IMO.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
If a player only wants to come to United because of the CL then he's not worth getting IMO.
My thoughts exactly.

The FA Cup should be the priority we aren't going to get a better chance of winning it any time soon.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I think that's a little bit naive - look at the quality of players we have attracted recently. Di Maria the obvious exception but that was because Madrid wanted him gone and his wages were so high no one else bar us or PSG would pay them
That summer we attracted Daley Blind, Ander Herrera, Di Maria, Falcao, Luke Shaw and Marcos Rojo... this season we attracted Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Martial, Depay and Darmian ... are you really saying that this seasons transfers business was light year ahead of the season before? They're roughly about the same when you compare them...

West Ham managed to attract Payet this year, Spurs got Alderwiereld, Chelsea will surely attract players next season... so yeah, whilst the theory is that Champions League is needed to attract players, reality has shown different

Robbo 7

FA cup for me and West Ham to finish 4th above City :D

This group of players haven't won a trophy yet. Getting the first trophy in the bag would be good for next season.

With regards to CL attracting top players debate.... I think it's good for us with Leicester finishing in the top 4. If the top 4 would have been Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool I would have been more worried. With all due respect to Leicester, I can't see them competing for a £30m player with us. Yes they've got CL but can they really afford these type of players??

Von Mistelroum

The state of our fans.
You can make your vague, incomplete statements, but the fact is that, in most situations, the greater good is more important than short-term gain. Sure, we could win the FA cup and have a small measure of happiness at the end of a dire season, followed by another season with Van Gaal in charge and possibly many years in the wilderness as a result. Or, we can miss out on the oh-so-important FA cup and see the club's hand forced into appointing a competent manager who could feasibly have us competing at the top and back in place as one of Europe's top clubs within a few seasons.

But sure, the state of our fans, wanting long term success. Blooming plastics!

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Top 4.

Will be an extra £70m to spend on fixing our squad this summer while City lose out on £70m. A £140m swing with probably our biggest rivals for next seasons league. I'm not really sure what Man City FFP situation is but I would hope that would put a dent in the Guardiola spending they are planning. I also think if we are both going after the same player it might give us another advantage.

Also would be funny to see Guardiola take over a Europa League team after all the talk of how City are pulling away from us