FA Youth Cup 3rd Round Draw

PS18

"Manchester United, who last won the Cup in 2003, play Scunthorpe United or Lincoln City at Hyde United FC."

Home tie, lower league opposition, can't ask for much more than that for a third round draw. No date/time yet, has to be played before December 16th though. Wonder if there's any chance it might get moved to OT?

PS18

Just to confirm - Scunthorpe beat Lincoln to progress, and will face us on Thursday December 14th at Old Trafford, KO 7pm.

It's pay on the gate, adults £5.00, under 16s and Over 65s £2.00. Hopefully get a decent turn-out.

PS18

Now been moved to Hyde, and from Thursday to Saturday. 2pm kickoff.

PS18

we won 3-0, Stockport or Southampton at home in the next round apparently. presume it'll be the latter, they were finalists last year iirc.

PS18

not heard yet, i couldn't go myself. sure someone will be able to fill us in soon enough.

julesee

Brandy scored 2 and Cathcart 1.

Brandy was the best player for United once again, while Cathcart looked very composed. Once again the opposition were the brawnier team, but United were clearly good value for their victory. Could have been a higher margin too if wasnt for some good saves from the opposition goalkeeper.

Still.... I'm not convinced there are too many players in this team that I'd say are headed for the first team - its certainly weaker than the teams of the past couple of years. Brandy obviously has a chance (although he needs to build some bulk) and Cathcart might make it as a Championship pro.

RedPhil1957

jules031272 said:
Brandy scored 2 and Cathcart 1.

Brandy was the best player for United once again, while Cathcart looked very composed. Once again the opposition were the brawnier team, but United were clearly good value for their victory. Could have been a higher margin too if wasnt for some good saves from the opposition goalkeeper.

Still.... I'm not convinced there are too many players in this team that I'd say are headed for the first team - its certainly weaker than the teams of the past couple of years. Brandy obviously has a chance (although he needs to build some bulk) and Cathcart might make it as a Championship pro.

I think for many it was first year in youth cup so very young to doubt their ability.

julesee

well perhaps....but isnt it usually the case that they only play up to a couple of years in the youth cup? Anyway, generally I've felt this season the U18's are not up to much (Brandy aside). You're right though that they are younger than is usually the case...

RedPhil1957

jules031272 said:
well perhaps....but isnt it usually the case that they only play up to a couple of years in the youth cup? Anyway, generally I've felt this season the U18's are not up to much (Brandy aside). You're right though that they are younger than is usually the case...

we will find out more against southampton, they have had good quality youngsters for a few seasons

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
United played well yesterday......the thing to remember is that many of these players are two years younger than many of their opponents!!!!

Eikrem, Galbraith, Welbeck can all still play for another two years.....

Amos, Drinkwater, C. Evans, McCormack and Bryan for another year....

So we only have Brandy, Fagan, Cathcart and Hewson who are older heads....

Next year this team may well be better so i'm not expecting too much this year....it will depend on the draw and a little luck if we progress...

Speaking of Eikrem....he had a great first half yesterday....very composed and never gave the ball away......I spoke to one of the United coaches at half-time and he said that they don't expect Magnus to fully mature as a player until he is 21/22.....so that is the type of vision the coaches have...what will they be like in 5 years?

Team:

Amos - a little nervy in the early stages but didn't have much to do - 6
Cleverley - strong, determined, got forward well, good tackling and distribution - 8
Eckersley - solid - 7
Chester - clearances a little poor and distribution let him down but defensively OK - 7
Cathcart - very composed and positioning much better than recently - 8
Drinkwater - busy in midfield - 7
Eikrem - good passing and vision and alsways trying to create - 8
Hewson - kept things ticking over - 7
Brandy - worked hard, took his goals well and caused them loads of problems - 9
Fagan - disappointing - 5
Welbeck - worked hard and was good going forward..injured after 35 mins - 6

Subs: C. Evans (6), Filler, Galbraith (11), McCormack, Bryan (10)

A good team performance overall......

They gave the third goal to Cathcart but the keeper palmed it into his own net and it should have been an OG.....

Other News...

Keeper Filler is on a six-week loan from Bradford City as cover for Ben Amos...
Zieler is expected to be fit again by this time...Woods has had another knock on his ankle in training and his return will be delayed....

Adam Eckersley was at the game and told me that he left Brondby early due to a hamstring problem....he expects to go out on loan again in the new year..

julesee

TonyPark said:
United played well yesterday......the thing to remember is that many of these players are two years younger than many of their opponents!!!!

You could well be right Tony... perhaps I'm expecting a bit too much...

On Eikrem, he does look a very skillful player- he's a particularly good passer..... you really think United would wait until he's 21-22 though?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
jules031272 said:
you really think United would wait until he's 21-22 though?
why wouldn't they if they see potential and progress? we've given loads of players that much time

julesee

Sure....its possible...i do think he looks very skillful...

But coming back to the team more generally, aside from Brandy, Cathcart and, yes, Eikrem (ha ha well 3 potentials isnt that bad I suppose!).... a lot of them look quite average. Even if physically they are weak compared to the opposition you should still be able to spot some special about them if they're going to make it?

mista john

Sorry to be a bit lazy. Can anyone do a brief summary of David Gray and Shawcross. They were at Antwerp last night and could join. It would be interesting to see where they would fit in. Squad is said to be losing RB (Simpson), CB (Evans) and striker (Dong). Thanks. John

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
jules031272 said:
Sure....its possible...i do think he looks very skillful...

But coming back to the team more generally, aside from Brandy, Cathcart and, yes, Eikrem (ha ha well 3 potentials isnt that bad I suppose!).... a lot of them look quite average. Even if physically they are weak compared to the opposition you should still be able to spot some special about them if they're going to make it?
It's too hard to tell at this age....of the Busby Babes....only Edwards and Charlton stood out as certs........in 1964 only George Best and in 1992 only Giggs.......others were thought to be 'no brainers' like Scholes and Whiteside...

But all the others were 'maybe's' until they had turned 20/21.........

At this stage it's all about development of potential.......

julesee

You're right Tony.... anyway i hope they all turn out to be world beaters....