FA Youth Cup: Manchester United vs Chelsea

Virtuoso

This season's FA Youth Cup gets underway for our Academy with a tough Third Round fixture with Chelsea tonight and it's live on MUTV from 6:30pm (7pm KO).

Virtuoso

Q&A: Paul McGuinness

On the eve of the Reds' tantalising FA Youth Cup third round clash with Chelsea at Old Trafford, ManUtd.com caught up with Under-18s manager Paul McGuinness for his thoughts on the game...

What was the reaction within the Academy when the draw was made?
We were all really pleased, because these are the type of games you want. The Youth Cup is like a simulation for first team games, so to get Chelsea and to play at Old Trafford is as close to that as you can get at our age group. It's a game where both teams are going to be attacking. You're not trying to break down a defence which is just sat there holding out, they're two good teams. It's a really good draw in that sense. Last year we had smaller teams, which can make the lads more nervous. We were at a smaller ground in Northwich last year, and the condition of the pitch was not as good as Old Trafford, you're massive favourites and you're on a hiding to nothing really.Anything can happen in a cup tie, as it did last year. This year's tie is a game which is just one we're anticipating, there are no nerves and we're getting ourselves prepared.

In such a big game, how important is it that the lads keep calm?
The ones who've been there before, we'll look to their experience. But we've got the captain of Italy's youth team in our squad, the captain of England's youth team in our squad, Irish youth internationals, and virtually everyone in the squad has had a good international experience and been on tour with us. All this is the preparation you do over years and years, bringing them up since they're eight or nine, taking them abroad so they're ready for these games. So this is a test to see how all these experiences come together. Hopefully it'll come out in the game.

Have you been making the players aware of the club's Youth Cup history?
We don't ram it down their throat, but it's constantly there. They're surrounded by the photos at Carrington, and we do little things to promote the history of the competition. At times we train at the Cliff, and we've had a special training camp there this week to be away from things on our own. The place is steeped in the history of the Youth Cup, we used to play youth Cup games there, the Busby Babes and a lot of prominent former youth players all played there, so the lads know about it all. We've won the trophy more times than anyone else, and it's important that they know they're following in the footsteps of a lot of youth teams and we've got that tradition for it.

More often than not in the youth teams, it's the case that the performance outweighs the result. Is that a different matter with the Youth Cup?
We use a lot of the other games as a big learning experience in terms of trying different bits of the game. You know that you won't always have your best team out, it's not always the same freshness about the group because you're working hard through the week. In the build-up to a game like this it's more like the first team. You want them fresh and do just the right amounts of work and you look to get out the strongest team that you think will be good enough to win the game, and that the subs will be able to make an impact. We focus more on the opposition as well, we've been going to their games and doing more match analysis, whereas normally you just get on with it and don't worry about the opposition.

Do you have a full squad to choose from?
We're hoping to have a virtually full squad. We've got one or two players out with little niggles, but in general we've got a good strong squad. We'll announce that on the day, and the thing about it is that I've got a few problems. There are some players who are in form that I'm going to have to leave out, and the good thing about that is that you've then got players who can come off the bench and make an impact.

Chelsea made it to last year's final, but are you confident of overcoming them?
Chelsea have got a good team and still have a few players who were in their run to last year's final, but also we've got three or four that played in the final two years ago, and that gives us experience. We're coming off the back of winning a big tournament, the Milk Cup, in the summer - so that gives us a lot of confidence. Our play this year has been good, we've had a good run recently and I think a lot of things are coming together at the right time in our team work. We've got a hardcore of players who've come through the system who are Manchester-born players, and we feel that's really important. They know the club and the history of the Youth Cup, and they've grown together so there's a real family feel about it. They spend more time with each other than they do with their own brothers, so that's how close they are and we feel it's something in our favour as we approach the game - the boys can't wait for kick-off.

Tickets for tonight's match, priced at £5 for adults and £2 for concessions, can be purchased at the Old Trafford turnstiles before the 7pm kick-off.

Virtuoso

Come To See United

U18s manager Paul McGuinness is urging a bumper crowd to pack Old Trafford for Thursday evening's FA Youth Cup clash with Chelsea.

The Reds go up against their Stamford Bridge counterparts in a mouth-watering third round tie, and McGuinness feels that having a sizeable, partisan crowd behind them will help the United youngsters.

"I think it's very important to try and get as good a crowd as we can," he told ManUtd.com. "Two years ago we had a fantastic semi-final with Arsenal, which drew 38,000 at the Emirates and 30,000 at Old Trafford, and they were fantastic occasions.

"Then we had two more big crowds for the final with Liverpool. So Chelsea's the only one we've not played of the other members of the 'Big Four', and it'd be great to get a good crowd into Old Trafford because it does spur the lads on."

As well as coming to urge on the club's youngsters, supporters can visit Old Trafford assured of an entertaining evening, according to McGuinness.

"Anybody who was at the Arsenal game, where we came from behind twice, forced extra-time and then won it late on will remember how entertaining a game it was," he recalled. "They were two high-class sets of players, and we're hoping for that kind of quality again on Thursday.

"It's a game you wouldn't want to miss, whether you're a United fan or a Chelsea fan. There are players there who have a real chance of being first team players of the future at both clubs."

Decotron

Excellent news, wasnt aware it was on MUTV. Hopefully they'll get by this difficult opening tie. Alot of players on form in the academy right now. Any of our resident experts know if Morrison is likely to play? I take it James and Petrucci are eligible for this?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Excellent news, wasnt aware it was on MUTV. Hopefully they'll get by this difficult opening tie. Alot of players on form in the academy right now. Any of our resident experts know if Morrison is likely to play? I take it James and Petrucci are eligible for this?
Yeah they are. So is Macheda who I expect will start. Welbeck's supposed to be eligible as well, I wonder if he will start.

PS18

Forgive me for whoring my blog out but here's a Chelsea perspective on the game and their side:

http://manunitedyouth.wordpress.com/2008/11/27/youth-cup-a-chelsea-perspective/

Chelsea return to the FA Youth Cup with a vigour and desire to go one better than they did last year, where they finished runners-up to Manchester City. Their campaign ended in the City of Manchester Stadium, and it may therefore be fitting that their attempt to win the trophy this year begins across town at Old Trafford.

The tie arrives at possibly the best time of the season for Paul Clement’s boys, as they are currently on a season-best five match unbeaten run. On Saturday they beat Charlton Athletic 4-2, continuing a season of high scoring at both ends. The Blues have scored 34 goals and conceded 30 in their 13 games to date, with Frank Nouble leading the way with 10 goals.

The first-year scholar featured heavily for the Under 18 team last season as a schoolboy and was a key figure in their run to the Final. Italian striker Fabio Borini has also been finding the net regularly for both youth and reserve teams, whilst captain Daniel Philliskirk has played all over the park this season, but is at his best in central midfield.

Last season, Clement’s Under 18 lineup the weekend before an FA Youth Cup tie would typically be replicated in the midweek knockout tie. Taking that logic into this season, we can expect Chelsea to line up in a 4-3-3 formation as follows:

Niclas Heimann, Nikki Ahmed, Rohan Ince, Jeffrey Bruma, Ben Gordon, Jacob Mellis, Gaël Kakuta, Daniel Phillskirk (c), Jacopo Sala, Fabio Borini, Frank Nouble

The personnel involved means that it could easily revert to a flat 4-4-2 with Kakuta and Sala playing wide. Five of this team were heavily involved in last season’s run and are complemented by this season’s Under 18 regulars. An intriguing possibility is the inclusion of schoolboy Rohan Ince at centre-back, presumably to match up against Federico Macheda in the physical stakes.

Players to Watch:

Frank Nouble: The Lewisham-born striker-cum-winger has been in fabulous goalscoring form this season, leading the youth team with ten goals, most of which were struck in the last seven games. A regular in the Under 18s as a schoolboy, he made a Reserve bow alongside Michael Ballack aged just 15. He’s often been used out wide in a 4-3-3 formation to utilise his pace and dribbing to full effect but this season has been lined up as a traditional striker - his preferred role - with devastating effects.

Fabio Borini: The Italian’s second year in England is going far better than his first. Last year he found the net with decent enough regularity but was all too often found on the periphery of the game. Now settled in his new environs and more akin to the physical side of the game, his football is flourishing, scoring in plentiful numbers at youth and reserve level. He was largely overlooked in last season’s run, but with Morten Nielsen no longer eligible and Marko Mitrovic still getting to grips with England, Borini has the chance to show that Macheda and Petrucci aren’t the only talented Italians on view this Thursday.

Virtuoso

I reckon it will be a Welbeck and Macheda partnership up front, I expect Davide Petrucci to start as well but I'm not completely sure whether that will be in the centre of midfield because the management may think that will leave us a little exposed defensively - so perhaps he may get an opportunity to play cutting in from the left wing as he did for Roma's youth team.

I'm looking forward to this a lot, we have a lot of talented youngsters (especially going forward) and let's hope they do themselves justice tonight because it would be a real shame to go out on the first hurdle.

Decotron

Forgive me for whoring my blog out but here's a Chelsea perspective on the game and their side:

http://manunitedyouth.wordpress.com/2008/11/27/youth-cup-a-chelsea-perspective/

Its deserves more attention if anything mate! Great resource for info on the academy and reserves. Personally I think we should shade this tonight. We've been v unlucky in the last 3 years in youth cup. Some v frustrating games against inferior opposition. I think weve a better mix of brain and brawn this year. Didnt know Wellbeck is still eligible, sometimes I forget how young he is.

PS18

United lineup:

1. Gary Woods
2. Ryan Tunnicliffe
3. Joe Dudgeon
4. Scott Wootton
5. Oliver Gill
6. Matt James
7. Ra'vel Morrison
8. Oliver Norwood
9. Kiko Macheda
10. Danny Welbeck
11. Robbie Brady

12. Kenny Strickland
13. Conor Devlin
14. Davide Petrucci
15. Cameron Stewart
16. Nicky Ajose

PS18

Chelsea's:

1. Niclas Heimann
2. Nikki Ahmed
3. Rohan Ince
4. Jeffrey Bruma
5. Ben Gordon
6. Daniel Philliskirk
7. Jacopo Sala
8. Jacob Mellis
9. Fabio Borini
10. Gael Kakuta
11. Frank Nouble

12. Billie Joe King
13. Jan Sebek
14. Conor Clifford
15. Billy Knott
16. Josh MacEachran

FlawlessThaw

Elliott try pasting this link into FLV applian player.

rtmp://87.21.36.252/live/manutdtv
Using that right now, absolutely hate using it. Either keep refreshing it or it just keeps going stop/start and then the sound just goes. Anyone got a stream would be much appreciated?

FlawlessThaw

Yeah should have taken the shot earlier on. Chelsea star man Borini is down on the floor.

Scholes is there!

FlawlessThaw

Morrison! Quality finish

1-0 to United, can't believe he's just 15. I was surprised he started ahead of Stewart but Gaz just was comparing him Giggs, P.Neville and Wes Brown.

FlawlessThaw

Which team's attacking more?Any players other than Ravel Morrison performing well?
In terms of possesion it's probably even. Chelsea have looked good without really creating anything. If the score was currently 3-0 to United and not 1-0 it wouldn't flatter us as we have looked like we've got more cutting edge up front. Been impressed by James in the middle as usual, Macheda is also doing pretty good as the target man. My streams not so good so I can't give a great response.

Decotron

Great first half from United other than their finishing. SHould be 3-0. They're playing well as a team which is good to see. Chelsea are talented and good in possession but we've kept them quiet so far.

BOLLOCKS chelsea just scored!

FlawlessThaw

feck, Chelsea are now 2-1 up. Nouble scores. Great strike but we've only got ourselves to blame.

Blooming Chelsea - only created two chances and scored two goals. We've effectively dominated the game and now we're down 2-1.

Dino

In terms of possesion it's probably even. Chelsea have looked good without really creating anything. If the score was currently 3-0 to United and not 1-0 it wouldn't flatter us as we have looked like we've got more cutting edge up front. Been impressed by James in the middle as usual, Macheda is also doing pretty good as the target man. My streams not so good so I can't give a great response.
I have heard about James and Macheda having a great future ahead.Thanks for the info;)

PS18

Really sloppy from Gill with half-time imminent, what a way to throw away 42/43 minutes of impressive work.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Great first half from United other than their finishing. SHould be 3-0. They're playing well as a team which is good to see. Chelsea are talented and good in possession but we've kept them quiet so far.

BOLLOCKS chelsea just scored!
Jinx.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
we've been very impressive but passing it the way we do from the back to the midfield is asking for trouble and we paid big time. Having said that their second was some strike