FA Youth Cup - Norwich vs Manchester United

lysglimt

Scout
Hoogewerf has wasted 3 huge chances With poor efforts - and 2 more with poor passing and ballcontrol. He is having a nightmare the lad

Thiagoal

As I suspected our defence and midfield are very dominant but really lacking a killer instinct! Dillon just clocked up another opportunity clean through on goal

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
As I suspected our defence and midfield are very dominant but really lacking a killer instinct! Dillon just clocked up another opportunity clean through on goal
It's like the only thing he sees when he's within 30 yards is the goal. In one way it could be a good attribute for a striker but he needs to look up and see the game around him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can't believe we didn't score in that half :lol: Mejbri really is a brilliant player.

Mickson

Mejbri so far looks a cut above everyone else on that pitch technically. For all the good I've heard about Hoogewerf, he has wasteful to say the least after being presented good chances to put us ahead.
He may be highly rated but he hasn't impressed during his time at United at all. Millen Baars was highly rated as well but left the club pretty fast.

AltiUn

Why did the cameraman just hold on Anton Ferdinand for so long?

top1whoisman

Scout
Well deserved for Mengi. 2-0 with a strong header from a corner. So determined to win that header.

Drz

Mengi :) Also love the Red n Black captain's armband.

BestRed

Yup great all round performance from Mengi, topped off with a lovely goal.

top1whoisman

Scout
75' Sotona on for Hoogewerf. Worked hard but abysmal finishing, could've scored four or five tonight.

top1whoisman

Scout
So it's United vs Leeds on Feb 8 (if not rescheduled). A good performance from United, much better than in the previous round if I remember correctly. The scoreline really flatters Norwich, could've been much more if not for Hoogewerf's poor finishing. Mejbri & Mengi the best of the bunch tonight, thought McCann, Devine & Helm were really good as well.

Thiagoal

Very solid and professional performance against a very good U18 side! Totally dominated them, great pressing and work rate throughout

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
2-0 is very flattering scoreline for Norwich. So many chances, should have been 4 or 5-0.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
It's nice to see our lads doing well in the FA Youth Cup, it seems like quite a few years since we progressed a long way, going out in 3rd or 4th round recently. I remember beating champion's Chelsea 4-3, then going out to Brighton (I think) in the next round, and that was with Greenwood, Garner etc. So could this current crop be of a better standard overall? Obviously Greenwood is a huge talent, and also Garner is a talented lad, but perhaps some of their team mates were not up to the standard of this current team overall. I follow with interest how we progress in this competition.

Mickson

It's nice to see our lads doing well in the FA Youth Cup, it seems like quite a few years since we progressed a long way, going out in 3rd or 4th round recently. I remember beating champion's Chelsea 4-3, then going out to Brighton (I think) in the next round, and that was with Greenwood, Garner etc. So could this current crop be of a better standard overall? Obviously Greenwood is a huge talent, and also Garner is a talented lad, but perhaps some of their team mates were not up to the standard of this current team overall. I follow with interest how we progress in this competition.
They had a bad game against Brighton, they are better than this crop of youngsters. However, with Mengi, Devine and Fish in the back four it gives stability. We need Elanga back to really fight for the top spots but even that may not be enough.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
They had a bad game against Brighton, they are better than this crop of youngsters. However, with Mengi, Devine and Fish in the back four it gives stability. We need Elanga back to really fight for the top spots but even that may not be enough.
Ok. Take your point, but if I remember right, defensively with that team were were a little naïve at times, but attacking wise we were excellent, where as with this team we seem to be the opposite. I've not seen him play, but Mengi seems to get rave reviews a lot of the time, could he step up to first team?

Thiagoal

On paper last years team was probably better (Brandon Williams, Greenwood, Garner, Levitt and Mengi all played) but they just had one shocking performance (which happens in cup football) They beat a very talented Chelsea team in the previous round and got very complacent. In contrast, Brighton were fighting for everything and super physical. Was actually a really useful learning experience and has probably stood the players in good stead.

This current crop have Mengi (a year older) and Devine giving us a very solid base and also some very solid midfielders. I'm really impressed with Helm and think he could progress into a top talent. Add Greenwood to this crop and I think we'd be in with a shout of winning the tournament.

Mickson

Ok. Take your point, but if I remember right, defensively with that team were were a little naïve at times, but attacking wise we were excellent, where as with this team we seem to be the opposite. I've not seen him play, but Mengi seems to get rave reviews a lot of the time, could he step up to first team?
Yeah that's true, they were. This team is usually that too but Devine and especially Mengi is so much better than their competitors. Mengi was an absolute beast last night. Hard to tell, especially with CBs, but Mengi has more potential than Bernard so I was surprised when Ole chose him against Astana (maybe seniority). I think he has everything to succeed: pace, strength, intelligence, good with his feet, decent in the air. He's really good with the ball and has an excellent all-round game. I have high hopes for him because he has been immense this season in pretty much every game, U18 or U23 or against senior teams.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
On paper last years team was probably better (Brandon Williams, Greenwood, Garner, Levitt and Mengi all played) but they just had one shocking performance (which happens in cup football) They beat a very talented Chelsea team in the previous round and got very complacent. In contrast, Brighton were fighting for everything and super physical. Was actually a really useful learning experience and has probably stood the players in good stead.

This current crop have Mengi (a year older) and Devine giving us a very solid base and also some very solid midfielders. I'm really impressed with Helm and think he could progress into a top talent. Add Greenwood to this crop and I think we'd be in with a shout of winning the tournament.
Yes, perhaps getting beaten by Brighton WAS a big lesson for them all to learn, and indeed could and should stand them in good stead for the future. I've heard good things about Mengi, and Mejbri, are there any others that could make the step up to the first team? Did I read that Helm has just signed a professional contract?

AltiUn

It’s worth mentioning too that it was probably a lot of the lads’ first experience dealing with a parked bus, Brighton were as well drilled as Burnley seniors that game.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yeah that's true, they were. This team is usually that too but Devine and especially Mengi is so much better than their competitors. Mengi was an absolute beast last night. Hard to tell, especially with CBs, but Mengi has more potential than Bernard so I was surprised when Ole chose him against Astana (maybe seniority). I think he has everything to succeed: pace, strength, intelligence, good with his feet, decent in the air. He's really good with the ball and has an excellent all-round game. I have high hopes for him because he has been immense this season in pretty much every game, U18 or U23 or against senior teams.
Mengi sounds like a really top prospect, so perhaps with Tuanzebe injured a lot it seems (I do rate Tuanzebe, and personally think he is a better fit with Maguire than Lindelof, who has yet to convince me), could Mengi step up? Perhaps not until we move on Jones, Rojo, possibly Baillie (I certainly would give Baillie a chance soon.). I see Mengi is not 18 until the end of April.

Mickson

Mengi sounds like a really top prospect, so perhaps with Tuanzebe injured a lot it seems (I do rate Tuanzebe, and personally think he is a better fit with Maguire than Lindelof, who has yet to convince me), could Mengi step up? Perhaps not until we move on Jones, Rojo, possibly Baillie (I certainly would give Baillie a chance soon.). I see Mengi is not 18 until the end of April.
He's not ready yet but in a year or two. That's the problem with our youngsters, most of them are not quite ready yet which is too bad because all of them would have a good chance to play with our weak squad. I rate Tuanzebe as well but I'm genuinely worried about all his injuries.

Thiagoal

Mengi just looks like he’s going to be a superb defender! He reads the game really well, has strength but also is a really assured passer! Was really pleased to see him made captain yesterday too as he has some great leadership qualities! I haven’t seen any first team player attack a corner like he did last night for many seasons! The one question about him is if he has enough pace- which is hard to answer until he gets first team minutes!

BTW I thought Fish was superb last night too and is looking a decent player in the making

Adcuth

He's not ready yet but in a year or two. That's the problem with our youngsters, most of them are not quite ready yet which is too bad because all of them would have a good chance to play with our weak squad. I rate Tuanzebe as well but I'm genuinely worried about all his injuries.
Did he have that many when he spent a year at villa?

Mickson

Mengi just looks like he’s going to be a superb defender! He reads the game really well, has strength but also is a really assured passer! Was really pleased to see him made captain yesterday too as he has some great leadership qualities! I haven’t seen any first team player attack a corner like he did last night for many seasons! The one question about him is if he has enough pace- which is hard to answer until he gets first team minutes!

BTW I thought Fish was superb last night too and is looking a decent player in the making
He definitely has. It's not his pace who is going to let him down.

@Adcuth yeah sadly, he had a few. Not as much as now but still.