Line-Up

----------------Amos----------------
-Eckersley-Chester-Cathcart-Cleverley-
-Welbeck-Drinkwater-Hewson-Galbraith-
--------Brendy-----Fagan-------------

leading 2-0 at the 88th minute.

1st goal by Hewson. Missed the 2nd.

Red17

2nd goal was also from Hewson. From the penalty spot after Brendy was brought down in the 2nd half.

Should've wrapped the game up in the first 20 mins with 4-5 good chances.

Caught the games in bits and parts but looked like Hewson, Wellbeck & Brendy had a good game. Amos had an outstanding game.

2 legged semifinal now with Arsenal. First leg at Arsenal. Newcastle plays Liverpool (holders) in the other. Looks like cracking games.

superdave

Looks like it will be a fantastic final whatever happens.

Hope Eikrem will be playing, he's the main reason I'm even on these forums lol.

If anyone else plans on going to Arsenal, I hope to see you there :D

Red17

superdave said:
We've got Arsenal in the semis

Where is the final being held?
I believe the final is also a 2 legged affair.

PS18

Hewson's penalty in slightly ropey quality, if anyone's interested

good performance, as has been said the game should really have been wrapped up much earlier with Welbeck and Fagan missing a few decent chances. bit sloppy either side of half-time and could have let Birmingham back into it, but they didn't really have the quality to hurt us and a second goal for us always looked likely. thought Hewson put in an excellent box to box display and took his goals so so well. Brandy caused their back four no end of problems and should really have got on the scoresheet himself. at the other end, Cathcart and Eckerlsey had really good games and Ben Amos made a couple of terrific saves - one in the first half when the Birmingham #10 had got in behind Cathcart and Chester for about the one and only time all game was right out of the very top drawer.

bit disappointed with the attendance, we were almost outnumbered by Birmingham fans (credit to them for showing up in such numbers, although booing Welbeck after Brandy won the penalty was a bit rubbish) and it was about as poor a turnout as i can remember for a non first-team game at OT in recent years (Arsenal got 11,000 at their quarter-final apparently). hopefully the home leg of the semi won't be the night after a euro away or on the same night as some big CL games on the telly - would be nice if the club could reduce the price for entry as well, although that's wishful thinking i suspect.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
"Hope Eikrem will be playing, he's the main reason I'm even on these forums lol"

Why?

superdave

andersj said:
"Hope Eikrem will be playing, he's the main reason I'm even on these forums lol"

Why?

Because I know talent when I see it, and he has talent.

Before I found out about him, I didn't really support United with much passion, but he kinda drew me in a bit. Sounds kinda queer I know...but don't take it in that sense.

horselesspaul

Man Utd fan
It's Manchester United, United or Man United.
I thought it was a good performance against a difficult, hardworking, well organised team with some talent.
I shall be bringing my 15 year old daughter (life long armchair follower) to her first match at The Effeminates away leg. Should be a cracking game of football.
Come on, let's really give the lads a good away crowd and put Arse*al to shame.
I am waiting for the dates as I haven't found any today so far and it was tba last night.

PS18

samabachan said:
What was Hewson's first goal like?
From memory, Welbeck drilled a cross in from the right, it bobbled around a bit and fell to Hewson near the penalty spot who did really well to keep composed, engineer a little bit of room for the shot and then curl the ball into the top right corner.

M160RA

superdave said:
no...no of course not :nervous:

Seriously he's quality, and I have a £50 bet with a mate that he'll play for Norways senior team.
Just curious, but how did you manage to see Eikrem in action from South London? Are you a Norwegian ex-pat, by any chance?

superdave

M160RA said:
Just curious, but how did you manage to see Eikrem in action from South London? Are you a Norwegian ex-pat, by any chance?

I did a presentation as part of an English coursework on young footballers.

It led me onto articles and videos of him, friends have reccomended him to me etc.

And my uncle lives near Molde, and is on good terms with one of the coaches there, so I have my links.

M160RA

superdave said:
I did a presentation as part of an English coursework on young footballers.

It led me onto articles and videos of him, friends have reccomended him to me etc.

And my uncle lives near Molde, and is on good terms with one of the coaches there, so I have my links.
Well, those videos of him must be bloody impressive and the articles must be showering heaps of praise on him, if he's led you to become a United fan :p

Anyway, let's hope his diabetes doesn't pose too much of a problem to his playing career and let's hope we do have a special talent on our hands.