Fabinho | Al-Ittihad player

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We'd probably need to be looking for someone younger and not quite as well-established if we want a Matic understudy. I personally think we have missed a trick with Rodri moving to Atletico - we should have gone for him.
Exactly. Fabinho would not be happy starting 15 games a season. We would not want to pay that much for a player with such little impact when we can sign Fred for the same price who will go into the starting 11 as a no.8.

We are looking to sign 19 year old Dalot for £17.5m as a Rb for the future. Thats the type of siging we,d go for as a no.6.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Allison (?)
TAA new CB VvD Robertson
Fabinho Keita Fekir
Salah Bobby Mane

Karius :nervous:
Clyne Gomez Lovren Milner
Wijnaldum Hendo Ox
Lallana new CF Harry-Wilson

Need at least three more purchases after Fekir. Apparently that's what we're looking to do. Doesn't match up to City's squad obviously but covers a little more for injuries. No more Sturridge, Ings, Solanke, Moreno for example.
Do you worry that changing the entire midfield in one go will upset the rhythm of the team? I mean your current lot know the runs etc that the front 3 and fullbacks like to make. The 3 incoming don’t know each other’s game never mind the team they are coming into. This season could be a ‘get to know you’ before they take strides. Alternatively they could just hit the ground running like they’ve always played together. It’ll be an interesting gamble for Liverpool

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Typical shitshow. Liverpool just goes ahead an sign another Brazilian star, that's Fabinho, Coutinho, Firmino + Hendo and Moreno as well. All the while Mourinho the jerk, is pondering over noname brazilians with shit names like Fred, and probably Frank. Its unbearable.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Do you worry that changing the entire midfield in one go will upset the rhythm of the team? I mean your current lot know the runs etc that the front 3 and fullbacks like to make. The 3 incoming don’t know each other’s game never mind the team they are coming into. This season could be a ‘get to know you’ before they take strides. Alternatively they could just hit the ground running like they’ve always played together. It’ll be an interesting gamble for Liverpool
Might be that he will ease them in more gradually, as he did with Robinson.

I expect Keita to be in there from day 1, as he is filling the biggest gap and is obviously the most beloved by Klopp. I could see Kefir start off as a rotator in the front 3 and making sub appearances in the advanced midfield role. Fabinho finding games in between that.

So basically, I think Klopp will be starting the season with Henderson as a midfield mainstay and leave it to the new guys to try and force him out of the lineup.

Jezpeza

That first 11 is way too attacking. Look at the state of that midfield :lol:
Yeah well we can leave the positioning to pep. I was merely showing the sort of players at the disposal of city and the fact that all of them bar Jorginho will be proven in the pl.

Can I reiterate again that Fabinho and Keita haven't been seen yet. They could be class. They could be average. They could flop.

With the new transfer window dates and the word cup disrupting pre season and the recruitment process I think that makes city hard to dislodge.
Hope it's can do it though

Goochy

Supports
Liverpool
I don't see it that way when you look at the bigger picture, I mean sure he signed Mane, Robertson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, VVD and of course Salah, however he has also signed players such as Matip, Karius, Klavan and Solanke while stupidly allowing for the sales of both Sakho and (especially) Coutinho (1).
I don't even know where to start with this.

The 4 'duds' cost about 10 million total. He could probably sell them for 40m.
Sakho was a massively disruptive influence and an average defender. No brainer.
Coutinho didn't want to be there, we haven't missed him and we have 140m to spend!

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Just posted this in the Klopp thread but this seems to be getting discussed in here.

Klopp's Liverpool signings so far:

Steven Caulker (Loan from QPR) - Jan 2016
Marco Grujic - Jan 2016 £5.5m
Sadio Mane - June 2016 £30m
Loris Karius - July 2016 £4.7m
Joel Matip - July 2016 £Free
Ragnar Klavan - July 2016 £4.2m
Alex Manninger - July 2016 £Free
Georginio Wijnaldum - July 2016 £25m
Mohammed Salah - June 2017 £36.7m
Dominic Solanke - July 2017 Fee still TBC
Andy Robertson - July 2017 £8m
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - August 2017 £35m
Virgil Van Dijk - January 2018 £75m
Fabinho - July 2018 £43.7m
Naby Keita - July 2018 £53m

15 players signed for the first team during his tenure costing £315.8m.

Every big money signing that he has made has turned out to be good business which isn't something that many managers can say.
We're clearly still waiting to see the impact of Keita and Fabinho but his transfer record speaks for itself.

Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the summer brings as clearly FSG have decided to fund him more and more each summer as his transfer hit rate improves.

Big summer for Klopp now and after which, a trophy will be expected. We're making progress but we desperately need to win something (I'd take a league cup right now) to show something tangible for that progression.

Rossa

Typical shitshow. Liverpool just goes ahead an sign another Brazilian star, that's Fabinho, Coutinho, Firmino + Hendo and Moreno as well. All the while Mourinho the jerk, is pondering over noname brazilians with shit names like Fred, and probably Frank. Its unbearable.
A Brazilian named Frank?

Loublaze

ATLien

Gbenger

Just posted this in the Klopp thread but this seems to be getting discussed in here.

Klopp's Liverpool signings so far:

Steven Caulker (Loan from QPR) - Jan 2016
Marco Grujic - Jan 2016 £5.5m
Sadio Mane - June 2016 £30m
Loris Karius - July 2016 £4.7m
Joel Matip - July 2016 £Free
Ragnar Klavan - July 2016 £4.2m
Alex Manninger - July 2016 £Free
Georginio Wijnaldum - July 2016 £25m
Mohammed Salah - June 2017 £36.7m
Dominic Solanke - July 2017 Fee still TBC
Andy Robertson - July 2017 £8m
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - August 2017 £35m
Virgil Van Dijk - January 2018 £75m
Fabinho - July 2018 £43.7m
Naby Keita - July 2018 £53m

15 players signed for the first team during his tenure costing £315.8m.

Every big money signing that he has made has turned out to be good business which isn't something that many managers can say.
We're clearly still waiting to see the impact of Keita and Fabinho but his transfer record speaks for itself.

Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the summer brings as clearly FSG have decided to fund him more and more each summer as his transfer hit rate improves.

Big summer for Klopp now and after which, a trophy will be expected. We're making progress but we desperately need to win something (I'd take a league cup right now) to show something tangible for that progression.
Are these all his signings? There must be more surely. Hasn’t he signed a good number of flops?

If that list contains all the players he brought in, then I’m surprised to know he has better record than Mourinho at United.

How is that even possible? Mourinho used to be awesome at making the right choices but it seems something has happened to that ability.

I cannot name one player that Jose signed who has been has an outright success for United like Salah or Mane have been for Liverpool.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Are these all his signings? There must be more surely. Hasn’t he signed a good number of flops?

If that list contains all the players he brought in, then I’m surprised to know he has better record than Mourinho at United.

How is that even possible? Mourinho used to be awesome at making the right choices but it seems something has happened to that ability.

I cannot name one player that Jose signed who has been has an outright success for United like Salah or Mane have been for Liverpool.
Lukaku and Matic must be considered successful signings due to the impact they had on the team last season. How can anyone dispute that?

Gbenger

Lukaku and Matic must be considered successful signings due to the impact they had on the team last season. How can anyone dispute that?
Lukaku? Sorry, for the money we spent on him, his contributions are poor. Without looking at the fee, then I’d say his contributions are average.

Look at the players I compared him to, and see how much they cost and or how good they were in their first season. Mane once carried Liverpool’s attack and was right considered one of the best players in the league. I don’t even need to say anything about Salah.

Or maybe you are right and I’m being too harsh on him. Then again, he scored more goals in Everton so my expectations were not out of order. Or maybe I worded what I meant the wrong way.

I can compromise a bit though. Lukaku is not world class but he certainly has contributed well enough to force an improvement in the amount of goals we scored.

We created the same amount or even less chances than last season but we became more clinical. This change resulted in more goals, so we finished higher.

One might say we were always going to start putting our chances away more effectively in Mourinho’s second season. Our chance conversion rate in the first season was an anomaly after all. It is also fair to claim that most of our players in attack were always going to do better with scoring after a year since they now understood Mourinho’s tactics better.

But I’m willing to rate Lukaku a bit higher given that he was the only player we brought in for our attack. But then begs the question, can one player really have that much impact?
I think I’ve said enough on Lukaku

Matic, on the other hand... has not been an outright success. I’m not even going to move an inch here. I know that not many here will agree with me but I’m not surprised. Matic is an average signing considering the performances he needed to improve on.

What exactly did Matic do? He’s a DM. Did our defense improve? No. In fact, it got worse. We conceded more chances with him shielding our back line than we did when Herrera. We also conceded more goals.
There’s something else, Herrera contributed more in attack for us than Matic.

Only if you can somehow prove that Matic is the reason we started putting away our chances, then you might have a point albeit a small one.

I believe Herrera is an average player, but he had a very good season when Mourinho played him as the defensive midfielder. Matic has just been lucky to come in and play when we became clinical. Our improvement is no way down to him. He’s a decent player and has been an average sigining, nothing more.

People who look at Mourinho objectively can debate your statements. Very easily I’d say.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Is right.

Off topic.

Just got back from Kyiv and what a great nine days that was. The people of Kyiv are amazing.

Obi-Red-Kenobi

Supports
Liverpool
I think in the main Klopp’s transfers have been pretty exceptional, which is why we’re getting more points each season, and with Van Dijk were starting to concede less too.

Some choose not to point to net spend and wages, but for Liverpool they’re really important. Liverpool can’t get in a Sanchez, a Ibrahimovic or a Di Maria, or even a Falcao and pay them 300k plus a week.

Liverpool’s net spend, before summer 2017 was at a negative for the 2 years preceding that, due to Sterling going and a few others leaving, and they even sold Ibe for 15 million!

Since Klopp has been in and the so called transfer committee have been reviewed, the signings have generally been successful. Salah for instance wasn’t initially his choice, but he’s tripled in Value since been being there.

If a decent keeper comes in the summer, then things will be really interesting next year

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Lukaku? Sorry, for the money we spent on him, his contributions are poor. Without looking at the fee, then I’d say his contributions are average.

Look at the players I compared him to, and see how much they cost and or how good they were in their first season. Mane once carried Liverpool’s attack and was right considered one of the best players in the league. I don’t even need to say anything about Salah.

Or maybe you are right and I’m being too harsh on him. Then again, he scored more goals in Everton so my expectations were not out of order. Or maybe I worded what I meant the wrong way.

I can compromise a bit though. Lukaku is not world class but he certainly has contributed well enough to force an improvement in the amount of goals we scored.

We created the same amount or even less chances than last season but we became more clinical. This change resulted in more goals, so we finished higher.

One might say we were always going to start putting our chances away more effectively in Mourinho’s second season. Our chance conversion rate in the first season was an anomaly after all. It is also fair to claim that most of our players in attack were always going to do better with scoring after a year since they now understood Mourinho’s tactics better.

But I’m willing to rate Lukaku a bit higher given that he was the only player we brought in for our attack. But then begs the question, can one player really have that much impact?
I think I’ve said enough on Lukaku

Matic, on the other hand... has not been an outright success. I’m not even going to move an inch here. I know that not many here will agree with me but I’m not surprised. Matic is an average signing considering the performances he needed to improve on.

What exactly did Matic do? He’s a DM. Did our defense improve? No. In fact, it got worse. We conceded more chances with him shielding our back line than we did when Herrera. We also conceded more goals.
There’s something else, Herrera contributed more in attack for us than Matic.

Only if you can somehow prove that Matic is the reason we started putting away our chances, then you might have a point albeit a small one.

I believe Herrera is an average player, but he had a very good season when Mourinho played him as the defensive midfielder. Matic has just been lucky to come in and play when we became clinical. Our improvement is no way down to him. He’s a decent player and has been an average sigining, nothing more.

People who look at Mourinho objectively can debate your statements. Very easily I’d say.
This is not the thread to be discussing this. If you wish to re-post it in a thread appropriate to its content, I'll be happy to indulge.

RedDevil@84

For 75M, Lukaku got us 27 goals and 9 assists in 1st season.
Van Djik cost Pool 75M. Mahrez is going to cost City 75M.

Am I missing something here? Anyways. Maybe we should be discussing in the Lukaku thread as said above.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
A Brazilian named Frank?
:lol: Yeah. Franco, or maybe just Frak.

On topic: It's a good signing, and at a position they clearly needed someone like that. Not totally sure about his quality but it seems an important transfer for Pool tbf. Have to hope they get too happy or something and forget to replace of Klavan, Moreno and the likes.

CA_vampire

I think in the main Klopp’s transfers have been pretty exceptional,
Last year, Liverpool finished 4th, Man Utd finished 6th.

If Klopp's transfers are "exceptional" and Mourinho's transfers are only "average", then the only rational explanation for how we managed to finish 2nd is that Mourinho is a much better manager than Klopp! :D

Jsadler20

Supports
Liverpool
Allison (?)
TAA new CB VvD Robertson
Fabinho Keita Fekir
Salah Bobby Mane

Karius :nervous:
Clyne Gomez Lovren Milner
Wijnaldum Hendo Ox
Lallana new CF Harry-Wilson

Need at least three more purchases after Fekir. Apparently that's what we're looking to do. Doesn't match up to City's squad obviously but covers a little more for injuries. No more Sturridge, Ings, Solanke, Moreno for example.
Been no indication whatsoever of us signing a centre forward this summer. We've been linked with wingers like Dembele and Pulisic but nothing to indicate centre forwards. In fact I think when we want to rest Firmino it'll be Fekir who'll move into the false 9 role because he's probably one of a very select few that can do similar to what Firmino does for us.

I don't see Klopp changing it all in one go to be fair, probably will be introduced gradually until all 3 are used to each other. However we will have pre season to get them used to each other anyway.

If Klopp's transfers are "exceptional" and Mourinho's transfers are only "average", then the only rational explanation for how we managed to finish 2nd is that Mourinho is a much better manager than Klopp! :D
Or maybe, just maybe it was because we had a Champions League run to focus on and rotated heavily in the league costing us probably 6-9 points against Everton, Stoke, West Brom and Chelsea. Similar with why you dropped a lot of points at the end of the 2016/17 season because you moved your focus away from the league and focused on the Europa.

In Deep

Supports
Scunthorpe
Liverpool are 2nd tier for signings, evidenced by no top tier players going to them while losing their top tier players to higher tier teams (Suarez and Coutinho in recent times, Alonso and Mascherano if you want to go further back).

Their transfer strategy is to buy promising talents hoping to develop them into top tier players (Suarez and Coutinho in the past, Salah is next) then flogging them for massive profit to line the pockets of the owners.

Everybody knows it including the press who almost never link Liverpool to the worlds best players. Its City and United that get linked to those because they have the money for that calibre of player. Liverpool are lower than Chelsea in the pecking order, not only due to the wages they can offer but also the London factor.

That must be the reason Ox Chamberlain chose Liverpool ahead of chelsea even though chelsea offered him more money. :smirk:

Last edited by a moderator:

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool are 2nd tier for signings, evidenced by no top tier players going to them while losing their top tier players to higher tier teams (Suarez and Coutinho in recent times, Alonso and Mascherano if you want to go further back).

Their transfer strategy is to buy promising talents hoping to develop them into top tier players (Suarez and Coutinho in the past, Salah is next) then flogging them for massive profit to line the pockets of the owners.

Everybody knows it including the press who almost never link Liverpool to the worlds best players. Its City and United that get linked to those because they have the money for that calibre of player. Liverpool are lower than Chelsea in the pecking order, not only due to the wages they can offer but also the London factor.
Will agree with that but for your glaring inaccuracy. Players like Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar etc., will not come to Liverpool. And as you rightly point out too, we wouldn’t have the sort of money to pay such wages let alone sign them. Personally, that doesn’t bother me at our stage of development.
Teams evolve and while Coutinho sale was a loss to the team in an attacking sense, we certainly have become more solid defensively and even better balanced without him. Whether that was presage by Klopp, we cannot know, but it wont have been lost on him for sure. Klopp’s ethos requires players of stamina something Coutinho doesn’t have and we’re 140m£ the better for his departure, enough to purchase those who can do it at both ends of the park.
However moving forward it would be important that no further players would wish to leave and the only way to reduce or prevent that is to be successful ourselves. No guarantees of course, all you need to do is look how much United spent last summer and still won nothing. Maybe thats why the 170m£ spent, bought you no 1st tier signings!?
As for the owners pockets that you allude to as being lined by sell on profits! Take a simple look at published Liverpool Accounts and they will show you that FSG or any shareholder thereof, have taken no dividend since their first purchased the Club nearly 8 years ago !!
On the contrary, they seem to be pretty good owners with an interest in sporting Clubs. Have salvaged the Club form cowboys and personally paid off our debts at that time, developed the commercial side of it, extended the stadium with plans for more. Have trust in a manager and are prepared to back him more than any of us could have imagined.
Next step really is for Klopp and his team to start winning some trophies.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

That must be the reason Ox Chamberlain chose Liverpool ahead of chelsea even though chelsea offered him more money. :smirk:
Oxlade Chamberlain rejected a superior contract offer from Arsenal (I don't know how legit the Chelsea one was) because of game time in midfield.

Ox did not choose 'Liverpool over Chelsea' he chose the club that would give him the position he wanted.

No player in the whole world will choose an inferior contract just because it's Liverpool. Even players that want to move to clubs like Barcelona and Madrid get massive pay rises when going there and they are far bigger than them.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Oxlade Chamberlain rejected a superior contract offer from Arsenal (I don't know how legit the Chelsea one was) because of game time in midfield.

Ox did not choose 'Liverpool over Chelsea' he chose the club that would give him the position he wanted.

No player in the whole world will choose an inferior contract just because it's Liverpool. Even players that want to move to clubs like Barcelona and Madrid get massive pay rises when going there and they are far bigger than them.
More begrudary it seems. Try being more open minded and rational.
Sky are a reliable source or at least it is a source better than anything that any of us on here have. They reported that Arsenal had accepted a bid from Chelsea for the Ox. We cant know what the contract details were but we do know that he rejected both Arsenal and Chelsea to come to Liverpool. As you earlier were at lengths to point out that Liverpool cant pay the same wages as the likes of Chelsea, so it is a safe assumption that Liverpool weren’t offering him more money. I think even you’ll agree with that!
You’re forgetting that he was a Liverpool fan which probably had a bearing on his decision too. And as you rightly pointed out, his preference is to play centrally, but that is something that he didn’t do at Liverpool until Coutinho left!!

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

There's been a couple of academy signings bit I haven't added them as they're not for the first team. He's got a brilliant record of first team signings and although he's not buying players that you would say were world class, he's turning most of them into top quality performers

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
I don't even know where to start with this.

The 4 'duds' cost about 10 million total. He could probably sell them for 40m.
One should not be judging player transfers by their resale value (lets not forget LFC is still a football club and not a player trading network) but rather by how much they have contributed to the team as a whole. And judging them under those terms not one of them (Solanke might do so in the future, but this is not currently the case) had made anything like a decent contribution to the team in question.

Likewise the only reason they are worth a combined total of £40 million has more to do with transfer inflation than any sort of wheeling and dealing Klopp has done at his time at Liverpool.

Sakho was a massively disruptive influence and an average defender. No brainer.
Agreed, the only problem is that Lovern is even worse at defending (overall) than he is, so if there were any CB's that need to forced out of the team he should have been forced out before Sakho was. The same largely applies to Klavan as well.

Coutinho didn't want to be there
True, but there was no requirement whatsoever to sell him in January instead of at the end of the season (and it was not like his contract was running out any time soon either). In fact had you kept him till the end and in the process won the CL with him on board, at the very least you could have got a even higher asking price then you ended up getting.

we haven't missed him
You should have done when Salah got injured, because for me the problem was not that he was injured, nor that Liverpool are too dependent on him and Mane either. The problem was that you did not have any attacking players of a similar quality (like Coutinho) to replace him and that more than anything else (1) that is what cost you your 6th European Cup/Champions League.

Notes

(1) Because lets face it, everyone knew that Liverpool's defence was going to fall apart against the likes of Real, so the only way Liverpool was going to win that final was to outscore the other team. Which of cause was not possible once Salah came off.

and we have 140m to spend!
True, the problem is that that on its own it would barely be enough to get an attacking player of a simlar quality to Salah/Coutinho. So in that respect selling him is not really an ideal option for LFC.

haram

More begrudary it seems. Try being more open minded and rational.
Sky are a reliable source or at least it is a source better than anything that any of us on here have. They reported that Arsenal had accepted a bid from Chelsea for the Ox. We cant know what the contract details were but we do know that he rejected both Arsenal and Chelsea to come to Liverpool. As you earlier were at lengths to point out that Liverpool cant pay the same wages as the likes of Chelsea, so it is a safe assumption that Liverpool weren’t offering him more money. I think even you’ll agree with that!
You’re forgetting that he was a Liverpool fan which probably had a bearing on his decision too. And as you rightly pointed out, his preference is to play centrally, but that is something that he didn’t do at Liverpool until Coutinho left!!
Were Chelsea not going to play him as RWB though?

Klippity

Supports
Liverpool
I wouldn't be surprised if LFC played more of a 4-2-3-1 formation next season.

It's the formation Klopp played at LFC when he first arrived, it is the formation he had the success at Dortmund.

I feel he changed the formation to more of a 4-3-3 because the midfield two in Henderson & Can were not able to provide the quality on the ball. Therefore he added an extra player in the midfield two years ago by playing Lallana in the midfield three to help link the midfield to the attack. Since then we've seen others do the role, Milner & Ox mainly.

But with Keita & Fabinho, LFC appear to now have a CM two who can not only give the team the foundation to control games. They are also both able to play those penetrating passes & even make forward runs & dribbles themselves which would mean a CM three wouldn't really be needed & it could allow an extra attacking player to play.

I'm sure 4-3-3 will be seen at times through out the season & LFC look pretty flexible & fluid within a game. But don't be surprised if a double pivot is seen more.

Obi-Red-Kenobi

Supports
Liverpool

Depends on economics I guess. Liverpool spend less on players in general, to build, whereas Mourinho buys for the now. I guess the proof in the pudding will be where both clubs are 4-5 years down the line, and the positions, net loss, etc st that point.

Mourinho, I suspect is about to enter his last season managing UTD.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Depends on economics I guess. Liverpool spend less on players in general, to build, whereas Mourinho buys for the now. I guess the proof in the pudding will be where both clubs are 4-5 years down the line, and the positions, net loss, etc st that point.

Mourinho, I suspect is about to enter his last season managing UTD.
Spending 75 mil on a cb,60mil on Keita etc is buying players for the now.

Adcuth

Anyone know what happened when we were looking at fabinho last year. Did we change our minds over him

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Mourinho is a better manager than Klopp.

Jordi

Of course, you can see it in a way he plays. Pretty obvious that.
I don’t think it’s fair to judge him on his stint with us since January. The lad didn’t have a pre season, came to us just as our form was trailing off and hasn’t had a summer off in forever due to international commitments.

I’ll admit he hasn’t looked the player he was but I’m optimistic that we’ll see more of the old Sanchez next season.

Last edited:

Vilev

I don’t think it’s fair to judge him on his stint with us since January.
Sure, lets judge him next season. But i am telling you know, he won't be as good as we was at Arsenal.