Facts about football that shouldn't be true - but are

Siorac

Very disappointed he’s right back and not right wing, as will his ancestors be.
The little poser probably doesn't even believe that everything is in the state, and no human or spiritual thing exists, or has any sort of value, outside the state.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
In fact from 2004 to 2012 there was an English team in EVERY final.
That's not true. Doesn't take away from your overall point, which is valid. But 04 was Monaco Porto. 2010 was Inter Bayern. 2013 was Bayern Dortmund. 2014 was Real Atletico.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
When was the last time we had a goalkeeper sent off?
Honestly couldn't tell you, but we have had De Gea in net for a while who is never likely to be sent off.

Since 93 Arsenal have had some nutters between the sticks. Lehman and Sczezney for a start.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I distinctly remember both Ferdinand and O'Shea in goal for us at one point, were they sending offs or injuries?

WakeAndBeek

Lothar Matthäus has scored leauge goals on the highest level in 4 different decades. The 70s, the 80s, the 90s and the 00s
70s: Gladbach
80s: Gladbach/Bayern, Inter
90s: Inter/Bayern
00s: Bayern

Has any other player in the "modern" era accomplished this?

He has also played in European Cup competitions in 4 different decades.

70s: Uefa Cup
80s: Uefa Cup, European Cup, Cup Winners Cup
90s: Champions Leauge, Uefa Cup
00s: Champions Leauge

Has any non goalie done it besides him?
Giggs was very close, having scored his first in 90/91, if he broke through a season earlier and he’d have matched it

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
I distinctly remember both Ferdinand and O'Shea in goal for us at one point, were they sending offs or injuries?
Good thought - but I'm absolutely sure I remember Romero being sent off for us in a cup game, so that would be more recent (if I'm right).

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I see that on Google too but I'm having a hard time believing it's accurate:

Next to Cancelo who is no way 6ft

Next to Mata, who's what 5'6?

Next to Herrera, who must be 5'10?
Facts about football that should be true but aren't?

Oranges038

John O'Shea went in goal against Spurs after VDS was injured. Not sure if it's in here but he played in every position during his Utd career.

Rio went in after Kuszczak was sent off in that Portsmouth game.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Pep Guardiola has never been sacked in his career as a manager.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I see that on Google too but I'm having a hard time believing it's accurate:

Next to Cancelo who is no way 6ft

Next to Mata, who's what 5'6?

Next to Herrera, who must be 5'10?
Herrera is 6 foot himself, which is always the one that surprises me. I'd expect Shaw to be around that height, but Herrera 'feels' much shorter.

Going by google, Cancelo is also 6 foot and Mata is 5'7".

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Just read that United's Diallo acquisition this January accounted for 44% of all PL clubs' spending that window. I know it's covid and clubs are reeling, but I did not expect it to be that bad.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Lothar Matthäus has scored leauge goals on the highest level in 4 different decades. The 70s, the 80s, the 90s and the 00s
70s: Gladbach
80s: Gladbach/Bayern, Inter
90s: Inter/Bayern
00s: Bayern

Has any other player in the "modern" era accomplished this?

He has also played in European Cup competitions in 4 different decades.

70s: Uefa Cup
80s: Uefa Cup, European Cup, Cup Winners Cup
90s: Champions Leauge, Uefa Cup
00s: Champions Leauge

Has any non goalie done it besides him?
Wouldn't Ibra also be there, 90s, 00s,10s and 20s. Or are we not including the Swedish league as 'highest level'?

RkkMan

Manchester United have NEVER lost a PL/English league game at Old Trafford where they were leading at half time in the entire history of the club.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Leicester, Wigan, Swansea and Birmingham have won more competitions in the past 10 years, than Spurs.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Leicester, Wigan, Swansea and Birmingham have won more competitions in the past 10 years, than Spurs.
In some ways yeah, when I think of Spurs they're bigger than that lot in general, but on the other hand I'm 41 and during my lifetime Spurs haven't done that much. There was that thing where they'd win something in a year that ended in a 1 that was often mentioned in the media at one point but that ended back in '91 I think.

Looking at their honours now:
1901: FA Cup
1911: Nothing
1921: FA Cup
1931, 1941, 1951: Nothing
1961: Double winners
1971: League Cup
1981: FA Cup
1991: FA Cup
2001, 2011: Nothing
2021 ???

I don't really regard them as that big really. I don't mind them as they've generally been a good club, often playing some nice football but also not particularly a threat. Similar vibes to Everton and Villa.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Paddy McNair is only 25. Probably not that interesting, but I was surprised.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Manchester United have NEVER lost a PL/English league game at Old Trafford where they were leading at half time in the entire history of the club.
PL or English league game? It can't be the latter, surely!

Just checked, it's since 1984. Great record but not "in the entire history of the club".

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Paddy McNair is only 25. Probably not that interesting, but I was surprised.
Kind of thought he'd end up with a better career than he has even though I never rated him. 4 seasons in a row outside of the Premier League and he may never get back. Thought he might be more like a Paul McShane or Danny Higginbotham, plenty of seasons in the top flight for lesser clubs.

Still, would fecking love to have had his career says the ex-Sunday league player. He's likely a millionaire.

Tapori

Kind of thought he'd end up with a better career than he has even though I never rated him. 4 seasons in a row outside of the Premier League and he may never get back. Thought he might be more like a Paul McShane or Danny Higginbotham, plenty of seasons in the top flight for lesser clubs.

Still, would fecking love to have had his career says the ex-Sunday league player. He's likely a millionaire.
Danny Higginbotham is a very underrated analyst/pundit. Clear, insightful and decent.

Good technical ability. Not seen him play for years now.

went on a train of thought...

Who was the CB that left United on a free, and Spurs then bought him months later to circumvent paying us a fee?

that was dodgy as feck. Can’t remember who that was, and assume they didn’t go into anything of note.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Good technical ability. Not seen him play for years now.

went on a train of thought...

Who was the CB that left United on a free, and Spurs then bought him months later to circumvent paying us a fee?

that was dodgy as feck. Can’t remember who that was, and assume they didn’t go into anything of note.
Wasn’t that the full back? I can’t remember his name but wasn’t he a meme for falling over like a fish?