Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

The Oracle

I think the Thread Title should be changed from:
'Sad Fact: Onana isn't very good'

to

'Sad Fact: Onana isn't very good for United*'
*doesn't mean he's crap... just means he's crap for us

ti vu

The whole team is lacking in confidence, it’s obvious. Nervous, shaky, overthinking and at times terrified. I do think it will pass, but it may well be a gradual thing…unfortunately.
The return of some defenders will undoubtedly help- people who have not experienced shitting themselves on the pitch as often as this lot.
Confidence may explain something like not rushing out closing angle in 1 vs 1, punching crosses, making risky difficult passes... Right now the problem comes from tame savable shot that. It's basic goalkeeping. No team reached a level to prevent shot so that they don't require a goalkeeper making save with his hands.

ti vu

I think the Thread Title should be changed from:
'Sad Fact: Onana isn't very good'

to

'Sad Fact: Onana isn't very good for United*'
*doesn't mean he's crap... just means he's crap for us

I didn't watch this game, so I needed to search Inter forum, and it's not like he's perfect for them. They, Inter fans did find issue with him. And by their mention, I found this clip. So it's more the case the case that he was not in the spotlight as much.

Lost bear

Confidence may explain something like not rushing out closing angle in 1 vs 1, punching crosses, making risky difficult passes... Right now the problem comes from tame savable shot that. It's basic goalkeeping. No team reached a level to prevent shot so that they don't require a goalkeeper making save with his hands.
Confidence is a complex issue: its absence makes humans do stupid stuff. You stand outside yourself watching, worrying. Simple things things that you would normally do effortlessly become trials of your worth. I think this is (among other things) what is happening to Onana and some of the other players.

Wrecking ralf

Is anyone like me in not blaming him too much for today’s goal. He got down quickly for an unsighted shot but it went under his wrist rather than his hand, which would have stopped it going in. The balls up in clearing the ball made the goal happen. He shouldn’t be blamed for not getting down low for that type of shot from about 10 yards. The shot shouldn’t be available and Lindelof should do better to block it, rather than letting it past him and unsighting his keeper in the process.

RoyH1

He wasn't this bad for Inter that's for sure. He's lost a lot of confidence and doesn't seem to be standing in the right places sometimes.

Shiva87

Is anyone like me in not blaming him too much for today’s goal. He got down quickly for an unsighted shot but it went under his wrist rather than his hand, which would have stopped it going in. The balls up in clearing the ball made the goal happen. He shouldn’t be blamed for not getting down low for that type of shot from about 10 yards. The shot shouldn’t be available and Lindelof should do better to block it, rather than letting it past him and unsighting his keeper in the process.
That is clutching at straws to defend him. It’s a howler from him. The shot had no real pace and was very saveable. He has just not started well for United. Hope he turns it around, but I don’t think he will ever inspire confidence in fans that he has the goal locked down. Tame shots will get past him!

Denis79

Hopefully it's just a confidence issue but right now he is a downgrade from De Gea.

Last edited:

Wrecking ralf

That is clutching at straws to defend him. It’s a howler from him. The shot had no real pace and was very saveable. He has just not started well for United. Hope he turns it around, but I don’t think he will ever inspire confidence in fans that he has the goal locked down. Tame shots will get past him!
It’s not clutching at anything, it’s an opinion. He saved harder shots than that one and the same game so it’s not his saving ability, and any shot that you don’t have a perfect view of from that distance has the potential to go in. Confidence may be an issue but our defence has not helped him in the slightest. When we stop allowing shots at him inside our own box on a consistent basis then we will see the bets of him. He’s not a shot stopper like De Gea but nobody ever said he was. But even Allison would concede goals in our team. He needs protecting more.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The whole team is lacking in confidence, it’s obvious. Nervous, shaky, overthinking and at times terrified. I do think it will pass, but it may well be a gradual thing…unfortunately.
The return of some defenders will undoubtedly help- people who have not experienced shitting themselves on the pitch as often as this lot.
I agree with that - the defence could take a lot of pressure off him by just not allowing as many shots to come at him. Onana doesn’t have the luxury of playing in front of a settled back 4.

Devil81

His head has completely gone. His position is that important I'm not sure this can carry on.

We should either try the Turkish lad or look to bring De Gea back!

Mercurial

What really cost you a goal was how ridiculously easily Brentford's forward could shoot.
Onana let it in so easily, but your table ranking is not inconsistent with the ability of your defence.
Drop Onana, and the next keeper will struggle just as much.
DDG wouldn’t struggle.
He gave us top 4's often 2's with tons of shots against him.
Hope people appreciate him more now that they realize it's a shitty defense and not just any keeper can hack it.
We let DDG down, I'll die on that hill.

You can have Onana back.

Mercurial

I agree with that - the defence could take a lot of pressure off him by just not allowing as many shots to come at him. Onana doesn’t have the luxury of playing in front of a settled back 4.
Neither did DDG for 10 years and yet kept us above a minimum 70% save rating all the time. Onana ran out of excuses fast.

ROFLUTION

DDG wouldn’t struggle.
He gave us top 4's often 2's with tons of shots against him.
Hope people appreciate him more now that they realize it's a shitty defense and not just any keeper can hack it.
We let DDG down, I'll die on that hill.

You can have Onana back.
No DDG wouldnt struggle. Neither would he be more than a stop gap solution and neither do you find the type of goalkeepers like De Gea going forward. It’s like saying this cog is optimal for the machine, but it’s the machine that needs changing.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Onana desperately needs a run of clean sheets, but at the moment that only looks possible if we face no shots.
Genuinely looks like one of the worst keepers in this league - you couldn’t make it up at this stage.
He is so bad
oh give me a break - he must be expected save something. He has cost us so many goals this season, it's ridiculous. Has it occured to you that one of the main reasons we are struggling is because of him ? The defenders do NOT trust him - and why should they ?
That is clutching at straws to defend him.
Some of you may want to take a step back and think about the following info and it’s implications -

Onana has made 27 saves in the PL thus far this season…

That’s 17 more than Ederson who has made 10.

10 more than Brentford’s keeper, Flekken, who’s made 17.

8 more than Pope at Newcastle.

8 more than Pickford who plays for an awful Everton side that concede chances for fun.

8 more than Martinez at Aston Villa.

6 more than Chelsea’s Sanchez in what has been a poor start for them.

If that isn’t enough, please, really listen to the following -

Andre Onana has made more saves than both the Luton and Forest keepers

Those numbers are disgraceful - and not for Onana. Bear in mind this is a ball playing keeper playing for Man Utd who wasn’t even brought in to be a shot stopper - these stats should provide some much needed perspective for some on here.

Read them a few times if the penny doesn’t drop immediately.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Some of you may want to take a step back and think about the following info and it’s implications -

8 more than Pickford who plays for an awful Everton side that concede chances for fun.

Those numbers are disgraceful - and not for Onana. Bear in mind this is a ball playing keeper playing for Man Utd who wasn’t even brought in to be a shot stopper - these stats should provide some much needed perspective for some on here.

Right.

Problem is he’s been shite at saving them though.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
He’s been shite at saving the shots he’s saved…?

Read again WUMMY. These aren’t shots he’s faced - these are saves he’s made vs other PL goalkeepers.
He’s been utterly shite! I’ve never seen a keeper make a worse start to life at the club or any club for that matter.

Oscar Bonavena

What really cost you a goal was how ridiculously easily Brentford's forward could shoot.
Onana let it in so easily, but your table ranking is not inconsistent with the ability of your defence.
It's football. Opposition forwards are going to have shots on your goal. The keeper's job is to at least save the easy ones. And from what I've seen of Onana so far, he seems incapable of doing even that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Brentford had 3 shots on target all game, and they scored from the one that went in the middle of the goal for onana to make a routine save.

Bayern did the same with their first goal vs us too, didn't have a sniff for the first 25, pot shot for a routine save, led to a goal.

Earth Wind and McGuire

Really interesting stats those. I’m not bashing Onana, However, surely all keepers need to be shot stoppers? Otherwise we would see midfielders in goal if it was just down to passing ability.

The fundamental thing a keeper should be focussing on is keeping the ball out of his net. Once he’s got that down, then he can further his other abilities.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24

I'm sorry but the problem is the one he has let in were easy shots or came from his own mistakes.

mu4c_20le

He's basically Claudio Bravo, and needs to be protected. Like a literal glass cannon. It is what it is.

Taribo's Gap

Number of saves is about the most rudimentary stat you can use for keepers, and laying them out like this doesn't tell you very much. People's chief complaint with Onana is that he is not making routine saves or saves that you would expect any other keeper to make.

What is his standout save this season? De Gea had plenty of blunders, but he also made plenty of saves that got you out of your seat or that you would not otherwise expect other keepers to make.

Love them or hate them, there are plenty of advanced keeping stats available. Most germane to this topic is the unwieldy sounding PSXG +/-, or Post Shot Expected Goals minus Goals Allowed, from FBREF. In this stat, he currently sits 15th (both outright and on a per 90 basis) in the league behind each of the keepers you've compared him to except for Flekken, who has had quite the rocky start at Brentford and Pickford who everyone thinks is horrible. The only other big team keeper that is behind him in this stat is Aaron Ramsdale and guess what happened to him? Dropped.

Nobody is asking for him to be a Peter Schmeichel level shot stopper. Average would be a nice start. Until the team can transition to a style that showcases more of his abilities to counterbalance his deficiencies in shotstopping, he simply has to improve in this area.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He’s been utterly shite! I’ve never seen a keeper make a worse start to life at the club or any club for that matter.

Really interesting stats those. I’m not bashing Onana, However, surely all keepers need to be shot stoppers? Otherwise we would see midfielders in goal if it was just down to passing ability.

The fundamental thing a keeper should be focussing on is keeping the ball out of his net. Once he’s got that down, then he can further his other abilities.
And he has literally stopped more shots than…

Ederson (City - Onana has made 27 saves to Ederson’s 10!)
Pope (Newcastle)
Pickford (Everton)
Martinez (Villa)
Sanchez (Chelsea)
Flekken (Brentford)
Kaminski (LUTON!!!)
Raya & Ramsdale combined (Ars)
Johnstone (Palace)
Turner (FOREST!)

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
The fact that people can't accept that he's been shite is utterly astounding, honestly. He's made more calamitous mistakes in just a few weeks than David James did in his entire career. The amount of easy shots he stopped is fairly obviously irrelevant when he's performing this poorly.

Hopefully this win will sort him out and he knocks on from here on out though because he didn't used to be so, so dreadful...so it must be confidence based :D

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife

Are you sure a football club will sign a goalkeeper not to be a shot stopper?

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
You’re being pedantic. It’s a phrase, as you know, to describe a style of keeper.

The point is that Onana has STOPPED MORE SHOTS than all the keepers I’ve listed above.

Sorry if the facts don’t fit the narrative.
if those are the facts than the team has to worry more about their defending then anything else. It isn’t really a badge of honour in this context that Onana has more saves then the others.

Yakuza_devils

We have a few "expert" here foaming at their mouth that DDG need to be replaced and Onana will transformed us into different team altogether with his built up play.

Fast forward, I don't see much improvement in our build up play. I also don't see any improvement in our style of play and in fact we have regressed from last season.

Diego_Milito

Supports
FC Internazionale

Those numbers are disgraceful - and not for Onana.
These stats are disgraceful, and as an outside observer I suspect that Man United's defence is more than happy to let Onana be the scapegoat.
There is just no feeling between your defence and your goalkeeper, and I suspect your defence is not helping him at all and are happy Onana is taking most of the blame.
Your defence is currently awful, with no offense intended (I massively respect Man United).

I know you guys don't care how Onana performed at Inter, but let's be real.
Inter fans will know Onana much better than anyone of you. He did some mistakes at the beginning, but he came out to be a solid shotstopper with world class passing and great leadership.
My theory is that, right now, Man United has been an hostile place for him.

His defence is a joke, doesn't offer any kind of stability nor does it allow him to expect what kind of shots can come his way (part of the strength of any goalkeeper in any team lies there), and is most likely working against him to hide from the criticism it'd rightfully deserve. But Onana had the nerve to get angry at his defence during pre-season, and now he is probably getting punished for it, while the defenders, who are forcing Onana to make more saves than any other EPL goalkeeper, are still hiding and glad they have a scapegoat.

Onana has displayed poor goalkeeping so far at United, is not the Onana that was seen at Inter, and will turn into a solid keeper again once he leaves.
The amount of hostility he is getting is unreal.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
You’re being pedantic. It’s a phrase, as you know, to describe a style of keeper.

The point is that Onana has STOPPED MORE SHOTS than all the keepers I’ve listed above.

Sorry if the facts don’t fit the narrative.
I’ve watch him all season for Inter, to know he is a good goalkeeper. My rating of him is just not exaggerated.

Didn’t expect you’d bite.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

All keepers are shot stoppers. If he's not brought in to be a shot stopper then that's a huge problem as he has made 27 saves and conceded 12. Some of those keepers with a perfect record of saves couldn't get to 25. We concede a lot of shots but honestly I don't think any of the shots he's saved was a shot that I didn't expect our keeper to save 100% of the time. He most definitely should have saved more. His only good piece of goalkeeping came in the 2nd half against Bayern after he had already gifted a goal.

He's frankly looked embarrassing 1v1, just look at his footwork for Icardi's and Iwoniyi's goals. Just terrible footwork just like in today's game when they scored and when Dalot bailed him out.

Just like we expect our forwards to sometimes score a goal out of nothing or at least score goals regularly from decent positions you expect your goalkeeper to sometimes save you a bit. Onana won't. There's at least 5 goals we've conceded that weren't his fault but he definitely could have done better and definitely were shots that we expected DDG to save more often than not.

The number's are disgraceful for our defensive performances. We concede too many shots on goals. Not that unexpected considering our defensive woes. There hasn't been stability in front of Onana and Onana hasn't given the defenders in front of him a reason to be confident. If you don't trust your keeper to save you're going to play with a nagging voice in the back of your head.

city-puma

It’s a perfectly reasonable question given the post I was replying to, and given what we’ve seen of this diabolical goalkeeper since he signed for us.

Pope (Newcastle)
Pickford (Everton)
Martinez (Villa)
Sanchez (Chelsea)
Flekken (Brentford)
Kaminski (LUTON!!!)
Johnstone (Palace)
Turner (FOREST!)
This table basically tells how bad our defense has been. It matches our league position, lower mid table.

Gandalf

Pope (Newcastle)
Pickford (Everton)
Martinez (Villa)
Sanchez (Chelsea)
Flekken (Brentford)
Kaminski (LUTON!!!)
Johnstone (Palace)
Turner (FOREST!)
The fact that the team in front of him is shite does not alter the fact he has been pretty dire so far. Many of the goals he has conceded to date have been soft and that is a fact regardless of whatever your narrative is. I hope he improves and does so soon because at present he does not look fit for purpose.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We have a few "expert" here foaming at their mouth that DDG need to be replaced and Onana will transformed us into different team altogether with his built up play.

Fast forward, I don't see much improvement in our build up play. I also don't see any improvement in our style of play and in fact we have regressed from last season.
What was instantly impacted and better was our ability to not be pressed high and dealing with that. Unfortunately, injuries killed our main build up players, so the build up went back to struggling but we still aren't bad under a high press. It's doing anything else where the struggles lie (the Galatasaray goal was a brain fart, unforced mistake, not a pressing forced mistake).

De Gea absolutely had to go. He had been a mediocre goalkeeper for years with a ton of weaknesses and somewhat regularly made mistakes just like Onana has been making. But yes Onana has to be much better than he's been because he's been shit. Rock bottom confidence though I'm sure he'll start saving normal shots.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The fact he's facing more shits is also down to the fact other teams know he's a liability too, so are more willing to pepper him with shots, it was the same for DDG at the start.

Tap

Pope (Newcastle)
Pickford (Everton)
Martinez (Villa)
Sanchez (Chelsea)
Flekken (Brentford)
Kaminski (LUTON!!!)
Johnstone (Palace)
Turner (FOREST!)
Yeah but what about mistakes and letting in tame shots. Is he top of the list too?