Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

MegadrivePerson

People were far too quick to judge him.

He was joining a new league with a defence plagued by injuries. He was one of the best goalkeepers in Europe last season!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
OP changed the thread title because he knows he was wrong but we will never forget it. He burned our crops, took our jobs and pissed in our flower pots. We will never forget that, no matter how many emoticons are in the title. Get him!!!

Sir Erik ten Hag

OP changed the thread title because he knows he was wrong but we will never forget it. He burned our crops, took our jobs and pissed in our flower pots. We will never forget that, no matter how many emoticons are in the title. Get him!!!
The North remembers!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
People were far too quick to judge him.

He was joining a new league with a defence plagued by injuries. He was one of the best goalkeepers in Europe last season!
Pretty much this. On a podcast about Utd that I listen to mostly driven by stats analysis, the 2 guys were refusing to budge on their opinion that he was a good keeper at the beginning of the season and stood by the fact it was a non-problem, supported by the fact he had been one of the highest performing keepers in Europe (both domestically and CL), and it was highly unlikely he'd become poor overnight. Just common sense, bigger picture perspective kind of analysis, but the type that would be good for this board in general, really.

Matriac

Pretty much this. On a podcast about Utd that I listen to mostly driven by stats analysis, the 2 guys were refusing to budge on their opinion that he was a good keeper at the beginning of the season and stood by the fact it was a non-problem, supported by the fact he had been one of the highest performing keepers in Europe (both domestically and CL), and it was highly unlikely he'd become poor overnight. Just common sense, bigger picture perspective kind of analysis, but the type that would be good for this board in general, really.
To be fair it wasn't just this board, the same lines were trotted in the media. With Ten Hag and other players having to defend Onana during interviews.

It felt so widespread that at a point I was questioning it myself if we had got a dud, even if I felt it was too early to judge.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
To be fair it wasn't just this board, the same lines were trotted in the media. With Ten Hag and other players having to defend Onana during interviews.

It felt so widespread that at a point I was questioning it myself if we had got a dud, even if I felt it was too early to judge.
Oh my point on short termism can be extrapolated to media no worries :lol:

Gator Nate

Having Shaw and Martínez as passing options will make his job much easier, but the right side build-up will still be lacking until we find a new right footed centre back and/or right back. Maguire and AWB are decent options for now but we'll eventually need someone better with the ball.

Also, the outfield players themselves will need to learn where to move and position themselves when Onana has the ball, so that he can have more and better options if he wants to go long. If you watch footage of his distribution in ETH's Ajax, you'll see that he's up there with Ederson in this regard. Just hasn't been able to showcase all of it so far.
Even Maguire is getting into the "playing out from the back" thing. The whole back line looked more comfortable against Everton, even under pressure. Onana is a huge factor in that. They are moving the ball around with awareness of what's in front of them. Unfortunately, with that midfield, it's not much. I think that's why Onana was hoofing the ball up to the front line a bit more - we frequently couldn't get the ball through the midfield unless Maguire or Lindelof pushed it up themselves. Yes, Mainoo did do a bit more of that, too, but usually when he was playing more as a fifth defender than as a pure midfield option.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Even Maguire is getting into the "playing out from the back" thing.
Maguire always was a decent to good passer I think, so this isn't surprising at all. His problem is that he is too slow and/or lacks awareness to play a high line and gets exposed due to that. There is a reason why Pep wanted him at City and arguably he was bought to do exactly that - play the ball well out of the back.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I changed the title because it’s funny and because I can.
Also, your slutty little flower pots loved it. Have an emoji. :p

Rojofiam

Even Maguire is getting into the "playing out from the back" thing. The whole back line looked more comfortable against Everton, even under pressure. Onana is a huge factor in that. They are moving the ball around with awareness of what's in front of them. Unfortunately, with that midfield, it's not much. I think that's why Onana was hoofing the ball up to the front line a bit more - we frequently couldn't get the ball through the midfield unless Maguire or Lindelof pushed it up themselves. Yes, Mainoo did do a bit more of that, too, but usually when he was playing more as a fifth defender than as a pure midfield option.
I think Maguire has just been better at it than Varane, but obviously he's been 4th choice basically since the Brentford 4-0 that happened more than a year ago. He definitely feels more comfortable with Onana behind him instead of DDG as well.

georgipep

Kees and Aaron? DITD?

dubplate warrior

Maguire always was a decent to good passer I think, so this isn't surprising at all. His problem is that he is too slow and/or lacks awareness to play a high line and gets exposed due to that. There is a reason why Pep wanted him at City and arguably he was bought to do exactly that - play the ball well out of the back.
His other big problem is he so slow with distribution. He takes way too many touches with the ball before actually releasing it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He obviously didn't turn into a bad goalkeeper overnight, bad luck/run of form, tends to pass.

Saying that... He does have a habit of parrying back into danger which is a technique issue. If I had to rate his qualities out of 10, I'd go:
  • Shot stopping - 6.5/10 - bit above average, not elite, but not poor at all
  • Passing - 8/10 - doesn't have flawless passing technique but it's good
  • Composure when playing out from the back - 10/10 - this is his elite trait IMO, patience and vision when he has the ball
  • Cross claiming - 7/10 - not Courtois, but far better than De Gea. He's been solid when he's gone for it.
  • Sweeping - 6/10 - he stays on his line a bit too much, but showed this in the past
Well rounded, probably an 8/10 keeper overall. His shot stopping is also split with being good at pens, poor from long range, average at 1 vs 1's, good at close range stops I'd say.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He still seems a bit erratic in his actions, and I can’t help but feel there’s a blunder right around the corner.
There's a blunder right round the corner for every keeper

RedChrome

He looks amateurish at times. I don't think he's the keeper to take us back to the top.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
he worries me and I can’t shake it

even that disallowed offiside goal. Looked very unconvincing

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
he worries me and I can’t shake it

even that disallowed offiside goal. Looked very unconvincing
He does seem absolutely useless in one on ones. Carried on from (late stage) De Gea on that one.

Caellum

if todays performance is finding form i would hate to see him on a bad day!!!

PoTMS

Let's be honest, he's been pretty average last few weeks. He's just been perceived as better as he hasn't dropped any clangers. Not for me, Clive.

Caellum

He does seem absolutely useless in one on ones. Carried on from (late stage) De Gea on that one.
Sorry but De Gea was always a great keeper it was his distribution that let him down not his keeping.

AndySmith1990

Sorry but De Gea was always a great keeper it was his distribution that let him down not his keeping.
Apart from being hopeless at dealing with crosses, commanding his area, letting in multiple howlers, and never saving a penalty, yeah for sure

Jev

It’s pretty obvious his technique is fundamentally flawed. He will occassionally pull off close-range reflex saves because that’s actually the easy part that doesn’t involve much technique. But he’ll always look dodgy on shots that require thinking and technique.

Baxter

On the free kick, I’m almost certain that attacking players aren’t allowed to join the wall.

David De Gea

He has so many cock up's in him but the strange thing so many of them are just odd. Like not just the usual down a bit slow or letting one through him, it's these unorthodox moments of oddness. Like overcomitting way too soon for that goal early in the season. Just the sort of thing you don't often see keepers do.

I don't know, I've been consistent that I haven't been convinced by him. Something I've noticed that doesn't really seem picked up on is even a lot of his saves come off him at odd angles. He's been getting away with it more often than not but it's just another aspect that really leaves me concerned as it can easily be back in to the danger area too.

wolvored

Its his first season for us cut him some slack. Think about Schmeichel and De Gea their first seasons. They were erratic as well.

Andersonson

Erratic, prone to big blunders and passes straight to the opposition. He needs to sort this out. He has some amazing saves and passes in him but needs to sort out some big flaws