Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

mu4c_20le

He has no technique. Even when he saves shots they go back into the danger zone.
He seems to rely purely on instinct and reflexes, so the shots straight at him or near him he can save. I also disagree with the unathletic comments, he can dive and save those difficult shots, he just seems to react really slowly. So it looks like he's slow, but it's a reaction time issue. I was looking at Lucas' winner the other day and he took ages to get down.

JagUTD

What criminal charges can be brought against Onana at this point?

Impersonating a goalkeeper?

Operating a penalty area while underwhelming?

Aretak

This Onana hate campaign amongst our fanbase is ridiculous, how is he supposed to succeed when his own fans are all hating on him from the second he arrived.

David De Gea was a liability and single handedly cost us a lot of games and got us knocked out of the Champions League in 2020-21 but never at any point was hated by his own fans as much as Onana is.
De Gea was a club legend with plenty of credit in the bank and still got a ton of abuse towards the end of his United career. Many were claiming he was the biggest issue with the team, and that not having a modern, ball-playing keeper was holding the potential of the entire side back. His exit was generally celebrated in the summer and he didn't even get a chance to say a proper goodbye after a decade of service. And you want sympathy for the new guy?

Onana is just another in a long line of here today, probably gone tomorrow keepers who've fallen to bits when they pulled on the United shirt. People were spoiled by the stability of the Van der Sar and De Gea years. Onana is looking more like the new Barthez/Bosnich/Howard/Carroll/etc.

RoyH1

Lacks basic goalkeeping fundamentals and to top it off doesn’t have the advertised footwork. Out scouts are blind

RedRocket9908

Yet you can come and say that about fecking De Gea, somebody that actually earned some respect and was treated like shit by the club and Ten Hag. And before you say it I'm not even one of the De Gea agenda posters. I'm just calling a spade a spade. De Gea was no worse than this yet had amazing saves still in his locker.
How was De Gea treated like shit by the club or ETH, De Gea treated the club like shit when he refuse to take a paycut on his 375k per week wages he shouldnt have had in the first place and refused to be a back-up for a new keeper.

De Gea made a lot of mistakes costing us goals that were worse than any Onana has done so far and anyone calling him a club legend is wrong.

Last edited:

el3mel

What's your point? He was having good streak of games and got praised accordingly. What does quoteing those posts prove actually?
He wasn't. The standards were pretty low that him not having a disaster is considered a good performance.

Anyway, I stand by my opinion, he's not a goalkeeper. He's an outfielder pretending to be a one. Everything about him screams "not a GK", even the way he saves the ball isn't a way an elite GK should pull out.

Heinzesight

When he was banned for nine months, are we sure it wasn’t for mushrooms? He certainly plays like he’s under the influence of some weird shit.

evil_geko

He wasn't. The standards were pretty low that him not having a disaster is considered a good performance.

Anyway, I stand by my opinion, he's not a goalkeeper. He's an outfielder pretending to be a one. Everything about him screams "not a GK", even the way he saves the ball isn't a way an elite GK should pull out.
They were good performances. Opponents weren't strong, but performances were good, let's not rewrite history.

Ace

How much worse does he have to perform to get dropped? He looks like an outfield player who is filling in at the moment, except he can't kick the ball.

Skills

Snitch
How was De Gea treated like shit by the club or ETH, De Gea treated the club like shit when he refuse to take a paycut on his 374k per week wages he shouldnt have had un the first place and refused to be a back-up for a new keeper.
:lol:

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
We were warned he was erratic but good grief. Even when he raises his game to acceptable I'm never sure when the next error's about to happen. He's not for me.

He was also signed as a retired international keeper but he changed his mind meaning we had to bring in another back up to cover for his AFCON jolly. That he'll now be missing for a number of weeks is actually looking like a major positive though.

JagUTD

How was De Gea treated like shit by the club or ETH, De Gea treated the club like shit when he refuse to take a paycut on his 374k per week wages he shouldnt have had un the first place and refused to be a back-up for a new keeper.
How in anyway has De Gea treated the club like shit? At any point? Absolute waffle and not even the blue kind.

And who said he wouldn't have taken a pay cut? By all accounts he wanted to stay and things only changed last minute. Not once has it ever been confirmed he would or would not have.

For a long time De Gea was the one player playing at the level expected of a United player and the only one with the balls to come out and face the music in front of the cameras. The guy clearly loved United and still does by the looks of things when he's attending non first team matches as a fan.

Some come off it with this shite. He's gone, he shouldn't have and we've paid the price several times over already and it's not even December. The issue now is Onana, who has cost us more points in 4 months than any player I've ever seen at the club. And I mean he has cost us, not a failure of the team, poor defending, a midfielder losing the ball or anything like that but mistakes that are all on him. He's not being exposed, he's not being asked to make up for terrible defenders, it's basic shit he's failing with. His literal bread and butter.

And for the record, his passing is naff as well.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It beggars belief how bad our recruitment is. Even the average Caf poster would struggle to have spent money worse.

redshaw

Can't really blame the defence, he has to come up against freekicks at some point in his time here. 2 soft shots he let in, we're 2-0 up and 3-1 up.

Since he's arrived I've never felt like he has applied himself properly. He looks heavier than ever and careless, lacking in concentration, I don't think it's nerves.

The money down the drain is just laughable at the club.

I fear he'll never be trusted or come good, it will be a few good months then more mayhem over and over. A very nice guy but simply not on it for us.

twitter thread suggester
Lacks basic goalkeeping fundamentals and to top it off doesn’t have the advertised footwork. Out scouts are blind
Our manager is a fecking fraud. He of everyone should know this. I am shocked and just want to jump 3 years into the future where we have hopefully reverted his signings and himself.

Woodzy

People praising his league form but I feel like he’s getting praise on the basis that he’s not making mistakes…

He’s made a handful of good saves but most of the time he’s ropey and awkward even when he’s not making mistakes.

I’ve never seen such a bizarre shot stopping technique.

davidmichael

Did he save low shots at his previous club? Surely our scouts would have noticed this terrible weakness in his game.

He's an absolute fecking donkey.
Because our scouting team probably had zero input, Onana is 100% a pure ETH signing and not someone that we’d have looked at over an extended period of time.

Nogbadthebad

Need another 50 million on a goalie next year. He is not good enough, and hes 27. He never will be.

But if you think it cannot get worse, wait till AFCON. Because his number two is very likely going to make him look like Gordon Banks.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s like he messes up basic keeping but is better at the harder ones. Also has a tendency to Hollywood dive rather than just shuffling and catching

Let’s be honest, he’s a bit of a bomb-scare. Capable of a moment of brilliance or an unforgivable error at any moment. He cost us the win tonight with their second goal. What was he even trying to do? You have to be able to trust your keeper at this level.

JagUTD

At this stage he must have amassed more gaffs than DeGea did in 2 seasons altogether

it’s like he was playing drunk
It's not even the fact he makes mistakes, ever keeper does. It's that they are costing us massively and usually because there are multiple mistakes per game.

Even worse, more often than not you can't even say he's been let down by the players in front of him and he's being expected to save their bacon. The guys been a joke.

I really hope things get better as the team needs it, but he's easily the worst keeper I have ever seen at United, and there's been some dross.

RedDevilQuebecois

fecking fraud of a goalkeeper. One of our very worst signings ever, pants down.

edit: I say you can change the title to include the words "dumpster fire" in it. Very apt comparison.

RuudTom83

:/ Hmmm he had started to look more assured recently, but that was another very dud performance and we are back to where we started.

Never a dull day at United FFS!

Yorke to Cole

He is not a goalkeeper that I envisage will be in Premier League winning team or even a team that is going to toe in a close title race.