Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
What do you suggest? We are where we are.... Hopefully he can cut out some of the coachable issues
Short term a spell out of the team.
Work on him intensely.

Then back into the side and expect massive improvement.
If none then send him on his way this summer.

Now that's assuming the back up keeper doesn't do amazingly well. I know very little about him.

We can't go into next season with a dud

RedRocket9908

Yes, that's what I meant. I should've said "for next summer". I hate to say it but city/pep would be looking for his replacement now. He did it with Bravo and many of his centre backs.
If he was playing for Pep he would have a proper defence in front of him and a midfield that doesnt get overran everytime the opposition get the ball so wouldnt face the same issues he has faced at Man Utd so far.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Short term a spell out of the team.
Work on him intensely.

Then back into the side and expect massive improvement.
If none then send him on his way this summer.

Now that's assuming the back up keeper doesn't do amazingly well. I know very little about him.

We can't go into next season with a dud
That's fair enough

djembatheking

His handling of the ball is terrible which has cost us in goals conceded as well as the times he has got away with it. I really wish it is just nerves and bad form but the amount of times he has now flapped at it and struggles to catch the ball is worrying. Blaming Lindelof, the defense in general or saying if he had a defense like City he would be doing much better because of the protection he is getting is just bollocks. I was excited when we signed him and really hoped he would be a solid keeper that was good with his feet and I suppose we have to stick with him until the African Cup. I just hope he turns it around.

wolvored

You cant blame the defence for some of the terrible mistakes he has made at times. I think TH should encourage him to go to Afcon and give him a break away from the pressure cooker. Im sure bayindir will be adequate and might surprise us, hopefully the good way.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If he was playing for Pep he would have a proper defence in front of him and a midfield that doesnt get overran everytime the opposition get the ball so wouldnt face the same issues he has faced at Man Utd so far.
Did you afford DDG these excuse too? A shakey defence has nothing to do with a calamity goalkeeper. Even the saves he makes look iffy.

DDG balied out our shit defence for years, Onana amplifies it

The Bloody-Nine

How can any defence be solid knowing a complete liability is between the sticks? This works both ways.

Ibrahimorich

I don't think you can blame handling errors or poor positioning like we saw against Galatasary on the defence or midfield. Look, I want him to work but we need to be thinking about what we do if it doesn't work out. My point about city/pep was that they replace players immediately who aren't cutting it.

RedRocket9908

How can any defence be solid knowing a complete liability is between the sticks? This works both ways.
Inter Milan did alright with Onana in goal last season.

The problem at Utd is most of the time we give the ball away cheaply then do absolutely nothing to try to win it back with the opposition having the freedom to dribble the ball in to our box completely unchallenged and setup amd/or take a shot meaning the keeper is constantly under pressure.

The Bloody-Nine

Inter Milan did alright with Onana in goal last season.

The problem at Utd is most of the time we give the ball away cheaply then do absolutely nothing to try to win it back with the opposition having the freedom to dribble the ball in to our box completely unchallenged and setup amd/or take a shot meaning the keeper is constantly under pressure.
The problem is that Onana is inept. It's his job to stop the ball going into the goal. He's bad at it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Saying he is inept is ridiculous when his stats show he clearly isnt
What about what your eyes telling you when watching him, all this stats nonsense is killing football.

it’s a sport to watch, not to read in a spreadsheet

Sparky Rhiwabon

I honestly think my hometown club Wrexham currently have a better keeper than us, Arthur Okonkwo, who is on loan from Arsenal, their third or fourth choice keeper. Was on loan at Sturm Graz last season. He’s a belter.

The Bloody-Nine

What about what your eyes telling you when watching him, all this stats nonsense is killing football.

it’s a sport to watch, not to read in a spreadsheet
Correct. I mean "the stats" made De Gea Golden Gloves winner last season. Was he the best goalkeeper in the league?

RedRocket9908

Another awful goal conceeded there with our defence nowhere to be seen yet according to the De Gea fans on here its not the defence at fault its the keeper

The Bloody-Nine

Another awful goal conceeded there with our defence nowhere to be seen yet according to the De Gea fans on here its not the defence at fault its the keeper
Almost like he wasn't at fault for that goal and no one has criticised him at all. Actually, it's exactly like that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
A semi decent shot stopper saves that

It's frustrating as feck that we keep conceding all these naff goals

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The positioning and footwork was poor for the goal. Been good in all the other scenarios this match.

Jev

Nah, harsh to blame him. Looks clumsy because it’s slow but that’s a tricky shot to save. Opposite from where the shooter is running, wrong-footing the keeper, and so well-placed.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Nah, harsh to blame him. Looks clumsy because it’s slow but that’s a tricky shot to save. Opposite from where the shooter is running, wrong-footing the keeper, and so well-placed.
Nah, he looks cumbersome and heavy to me.

arnie_ni

A semi decent shot stopper saves that

It's frustrating as feck that we keep conceding all these naff goals
Doesn't need to be a semi decent shot stopper just someone with a decent spring.

He done well earlier on the sterling cut back.

laughtersassassin

My initial reaction was he should save it. Looked a slow shot.

Maybe I'm being harsh but he's made so many mistakes that it's hard to not assume that he shot do better again

led_scholes

It was a shot in his corner from 5 meters away in front of two players. Surely Lindelof is to blame?

evil_geko

Anyone blaming Onana for that goal should give their head a proper wobble. This agenda against Onana is getting to clownish levels now.

ROFLUTION

When he did that shot, my reaction was that it was some great finishing.

… and it just is. You cant blame him for a great shot like that. Also saved a 1on1.

El Zoido

Anyone blaming Onana for that goal should give their head a proper wobble. This agenda against Onana is getting to clownish levels now.
Yeah, watching it again at half time, he’s got no chance. Knives are out for him now so every goal he concedes is going to have this kind of focus. People want an excuse to blame him, that much is very clear.