Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

UpWithRivers

frostbite

Are you dropping a bombshell here that Yann Sommer is actually a good goalkeeper? Who knew?!? He's also 35 years old and Inter will be looking for a replacement shortly.
While we are set with Onana for the next 10+ years.

KeanoMagicHat

All the other African players are at the AFCON, yet Onana stays behind for the good of the team. Yet he was the one more than any that should have gone... for both the team and player's sake.

He gets out of the Old Trafford spotlight for a while
Another keeper gets a chance to see if it will be any different
Maybe he does really well for Cameroon and regains confidence against less skilled opponents.

Instead he's here, ruining his confidence further, and has been of no real benefit to the team.

mu4c_20le

He's a likable fella, but I have no confidence in his goal keeping abilities. I think he made one save where he actually held the ball in his arms and I was genuinely surprised he'd done that and not parried the ball away, like he usually does.
Second half right? Think it was Richarlison, luckily it was right at him. I was shocked there was no rebound

CallyRed

Any reason?
Because I too was called bobbins by team mates, after making my dayboo as a young goalkeeper for my district football team. I got lobbed after 5 minutes and then conceded a goal by kicking a back pass against the back of my defender. We lost the game 8-2. This thread brings it all flooding back.

That and I prefer using the word shit.

wolvored

He is no better than De Gea. His kicking has gone downhill since last season. He doesnt come for crosses and his saving overall is definitely worse. We really need another new goalie end of the season.

wolvored

Because I too was called bobbins by team mates, after making my dayboo as a young goalkeeper for my district football team. I got lobbed after 5 minutes and then conceded a goal by kicking a back pass against the back of my defender. We lost the game 8-2. This thread brings it all flooding back.

That and I prefer using the word shit.
Did you play for Arsenal in 2011?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's played one match. Clickbait nonsense tweet that our own fans are indulging in.

evil_geko

One match, against previous champions who shot three times and scored three goals, why even post useless stat like this. :lol:

Oh I know, because Onana is currently great meme material online so they farm that popularity by posting moronic stats based on one game. :houllier: What is even worse, our own clown fans love reading stuff like this and making fun of their own player.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Pain. Just a reminder that what he has shown so far indicates significant flaws in his fundamentals. I don't expect him to improve much. He might have good spells, but how does a 27 year old goalkeeper go from that to the level we need? I don't see it.
It's a fundamental approach to goalkeeping - deep, deep flaws with body positioning, timing, footwork, handling, technique.

But he can ping a fifty yard diag and do a cruyff turn in the box, so modern football fans are happy to overlook this.

Dropped by Cameroon

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
One match, against previous champions who shot three times and scored three goals, why even post useless stat like this. :lol:

Oh I know, because Onana is currently great meme material online so they farm that popularity by posting moronic stats based on one game. :houllier: What is even worse, our own clown fans love reading stuff like this and making fun of their own player.
Tonight he has been benched for Fabrice Ondoa. That's Onana’s cousin who currently is in a relegation battle in the French 3rd tier.

The memes write themselves with this guy unfortunately. Nothing to do with 'farming popularity'.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Half of these aren't mistakes or not his fault
Don't care about the Lens one, but from the other 9 the only ones you can probably say aren't his mistakes are Zaha's and McGinn's goals. And even there a WC keeper would probably have better starting positions so as to be able to react better.

He might be better than he's shown or might improve, but there's no point arguing that he's been an absolute travesty so far.

Rojofiam

Don't care about the Lens one, but from the other 9 the only ones you can probably say aren't his mistakes are Zaha's and McGinn's goals. And even there a WC keeper would probably have better starting positions so as to be able to react better.

He might be better than he's shown or might improve, but there's no point arguing that he's been an absolute travesty so far.
He's had some howlers, especially in the CL, where he should've stopped some shots. I'm not trying to argue that, and I've mentioned on here several times that he needs to get his shit together because they can't keep occurring on such a regular basis. However, he's been great on the ball and great at passing. These are the main reasons we bought him for and he's doing as expected in this regard. If the howlers stop, we can build and improve with him as our number 1.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
However, he's been great on the ball and great at passing. These are the main reasons we bought him for and he's doing as expected in this regard.
Has he? I think I’ve been watching a different keeper, he’s largely been stuck to his line and rolling the ball 10 yards to his CB!
Look at the pass to an opposing attacker that caused Casemiros red card. It’s really been nothing special at all.