Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Devil81

He's not covering himself in glory to be fair. I like him but he's cost us two Champions league games now.

Nickelodeon

He’s cost us a player on the pitch, and he’s cost Casemiro a ban. Ludicrous.
Tbh. Casemiro didn’t need to slide in. Even if we conceded there, it would’ve given us a much better chance to get back in the game.

No defence there for Onana though. Absolutely shocking. Ever since the Bayern mistake, prior to which he seemed quite pumped up, he’s suddenly become quite timid which is really weird to see. Still hopeful he’ll turn it around.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
It's so weird that he's so timid. In a one on one situation even I know you just need to come out quickly, close the angle and hope for the best. If the striker scores - whatever. You've done your job. But this standing still, waiting - it just gives the striker that extra time to compose himself.

But also - no one was making himself available for a pass, and that's on Casemiro, Dalot, Varane, Lindelof and the other midfielders. That's why he hoofed it so much.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Tbh. Casemiro didn’t need to slide in. Even if we conceded there, it would’ve given us a much better chance to get back in the game.

No defence there for Onana though. Absolutely shocking. Ever since the Bayern mistake, prior to which he seemed quite pumped up, he’s suddenly become quite timid which is really weird to see. Still hopeful he’ll turn it around.
I thought that as well, I'm not sure why Casemiro slid in there. Hard to blame Onana for him being sent off.

He won't be the first keeper who has struggled with the pressure of United. I have faith he can pull through it, its probably rock bottom at this point for him though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Aye. Ferguson was ruthless with Taibi. I fear that ruthlessness has long since left us. He'll be kept around and given plenty of opportunities, because at Manchester United mediocrity is absolutely ok.
In fairness, Taibi didn't cost £50m or whatever Onana cost.

Ceeps

He really isn’t good for us, his major plus point is not suited to our current team and his deficiencies are exposed by the fact we are very rubbish at defending. Bad mix for a “traditionally” limited goalkeeper. I also think he’s actually a bit pants at generally saving stuff, but I think the Wolves game and the furore after has taken a toll on his confidence/approach.. It’s obviously mentally difficult to play for us, but I don’t think it’s looking like he’s got the required mindset, and also more importantlyin my view skill set to step up. There’s a lot of players I’d take out of the firing line to regain focus/confidence, he would be quite high up in the list.

Caellum

De Gea spent 12 years at United most of the time he was excellent but he was not perfect particularly with his feet , however a goalkeepers number one job is to keep the ball out of the net, the best keepers can also play the ball, but no matter how good they are with the ball at there feet if they can't keep the ball out of the net then they are not a quality Goal Keeper and sadly Onana is simply not up to the Job, Ibra made an interesting point recently about ETH having to improve his man-management, and perhaps if things were different we would have seen Dean Henderson save us £45m. which could have been better spent on outfield players. One thing is for sure Onana has become a liability and needs to be taken out of the firing line.

Lentwood

This can't be Onana's level. There's no way he'd have had the career he's had if this is his level. Whether he's the greatest goalkeeper ever, I highly doubt, but an international footballer who's played regular Champions League football for good Ajax and Inter teams is simply not this bad. I can only hope its nerves, and he sorts them out soon.

big_jeffstar

It’s just a Frankenstein team, a goalkeeper with those strengths needs a clever defence infront of him, unfortunately for him, we haven’t had that for about 15 years now

crossy1686

career ending
Has no spring in his legs, can't anticipate a shot, has no reach, 1 v 1 feels like a definite goal, and doesn't save anything that isn't right at him. He's hardly a GK to be honest.

Oscar Bonavena

This can't be Onana's level. There's no way he'd have had the career he's had if this is his level. Whether he's the greatest goalkeeper ever, I highly doubt, but an international footballer who's played regular Champions League football for good Ajax and Inter teams is simply not this bad. I can only hope its nerves, and he sorts them out soon.
The job of United keeper is too big for him. It's happened to better keepers than him. He'll probably move on to a smaller club and be very good, but he doesn't have the cojones for this job.

He’s certainly had a shaky start to his United career, but, remember, so did De Gea. There is nowhere to hide as a goalkeeper, and definitely not at United. We need to give the guy some time to settle and find his confidence before we make a proper judgement.

frostbite

In fairness, Taibi didn't cost £50m or whatever Onana cost.
Also, SAF was not Taibi's manager in another club in the past. It is not like ETH didn't know what Onana is like.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Apparently he had an awful run for Ajax after that drug ban. So he’s obviously prone to slumps due not being mentally in the right place. Not sure if it was being lobbed in preseason or the Bayern error but looks like the pressure’s got to him and his head has gone. Which is a very bad flaw for a keeper at this club.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Onana the cause of, and the solution to, all of Uniteds problems

Wilt

Onana came in acting Billy Big Bollocks screaming at Maguire ….who does he blame now?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
He's the kind of keeper you can maybe afford if your defence and midfield are strong enough that you don't concede many shots.

Like a striker who is terrible at scoring but helps support more productive players. He's the Emile Heskey of goalkeeping.

The problem is, whereas Heskey's strengths worked well with Owen, our team doesn't seem capable of capitalising on Onana's supposed strength. Which leaves us with a keeper whose weaknesses at the fundamentals of goalkeeping are consistently put to the test, while his strengths with the ball at his feet are largely muted.

dave1956

SAF may have been ruthless with Taibi, but he was also ruthless with Jim Leighton who he openly blamed for the 3 3 draw in the Cup Final against Crystal Palace. Dropped him for the replay and JIm never played for utd again, if memory serves me correctly.
Our present keeper appears to be rather flat footed, and not very agile, this showed in pre season games and has been evident every since, do we give him more time to bed in or admit that he is not up to the required standard. I fear that we will continue with him and he will continue to cost us many more points, but only time will tell.

RedDevilQuebecois

Most useless sack of shit I have ever seen playing in goal as a designated number 1 for Manchester United. Do you know how bad you have to be to fall behind the likes of Mark Bosnich, Roy Carroll, Tim Howard and Ben Foster on the list of lesser goalkeepers who all assumed the spot for some time?

DeGea

He doesn’t have the mental strength for the position which is one of the hardest position to play in world football - United number 1 is highly scrutinised. He may have the technical ability but he doesn’t have the mental ability. You can see it in his body language.

de Gea is actually mentally strong to have had the job for so many years and carried the club through so many tough moments. Underrated, and we fecked ourselves by listening too much to the hype which is now rife with social media etc.

Onana is just not cut out at this level - he has not even made one save that made you think “wow that was good” since he started. Just think about that.

We should have backed de gea at least untill we sort out all the other positions. I wonder what Keane is thinking now, being a big critic of Dave.

Nogbadthebad

He’s certainly had a shaky start to his United career, but, remember, so did De Gea. There is nowhere to hide as a goalkeeper, and definitely not at United. We need to give the guy some time to settle and find his confidence before we make a proper judgement.
De gea was a teenager when he arrived.

Onana is 27.

RedDevilQuebecois

De gea was a teenager when he arrived.

Onana is 27.
There it is.

One of my fears lingering at the back of mind when Onana arrived was the possibility that he would revert back into that goalkeeper who fecked things up in what was pretty much a Champions league semifinal that was won in 2019. But this has exceeded my worst nightmares by a country mile.

Dve

Onana just shows how De Gea's strengths were taken for granted while all the focus were on his limited passing abilities. But he never gave rebounds, positioning himself perfectly in situations one on one, great reach and made impossible saves. We paid 44m on weakening our team instead of buying a CD. Well done.

SirScholes

more bothered about his future career to be honest

lilcurt

I can't think of a single save Onana has made that De Gea wouldn't have. In reverse I'm confident De Gea would have stopped half the goals we've conceded.

Even if you if you allow for the 3 or so gaffs he would make per season, Onana has already made 4 for my money (Forest, Bayern, tonight x2)!

SirScholes

Onana just shows how De Gea's strengths were taken for granted while all the focus were on his limited passing abilities. But he never gave rebounds, positioning himself perfectly in situations one on one, great reach and made impossible saves. We paid 44m on weakening our team instead of buying a CD. Well done.
Dave had a mistake in him to be fair
But I agree the gk situation could of been parked for 1 more year

Thom Merrilin

I'll give him a season and the benefit of the doubt for now. The only goal I'd blame him for is Icardi's chip and even that wasn't an egregious error. The misplaced pass to Mertens will happen occasionally if we are to play this style, it'd be far more frequent if De Gea was still our keeper.