Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Idxomer

He's United's Kepa, will have to look for some quality cheap option to displace him soon.

mu4c_20le

Over 30 years watching us play and this is the worst GK performance in a United shirt I can remember.
Honestly the only reason he hasn't been tossed out is because we were daft enough to get rid of our first choice keeper before sighing him, and the turkish lad is probably nowhere near Van der Gouw's level back in the day. He's costing us again and again but we have nothing to fall back on.

Bwuk

We’d be as well as accepting we’ve messed this one up and bring back De Gea till the summer.

Onana is howling.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I'm not old enough to remember Taibi. How do the two compare?
Taibi only played four times for us. Including a game where he did well against Liverpool away if I remember correctly? He was bad. Made shocking mistakes. But was moved on very quickly. Only cost 4.5m. We also had money back then to replace him!

Baneofthegame

Some of the way he makes his saves are bizarre, we’ve taken away what he’s best for with the way we play anyway and may as well kept De Gea.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Onana is worse than Taibi given his price tag and reputation. He was supposed to be a sure thing where Massimo was a cheap punt. He made a handful of high profile errors and was quickly moved on. Generally he seemed a decent keeper, but either the pressure got to him or he simply wasn’t United level.
I have a sinking feeling we’re stuck with Andre for the foreseeable.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Onana is worse than Taibi given his price tag and reputation. He was supposed to be a sure thing where Massimo was a cheap punt. He made a handful of high profile errors and was quickly moved on. Generally he seemed a decent keeper, but either the pressure got to him or he simply wasn’t United level.
We also had Bosnich and v d Gouw on the books too at the time. They could do a job. This is much more like Barthez, only with many more mistakes. Even then, Barthez was moved on relatively quickly after he went downhill l.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We also had Bosnich and v d Gouw on the books too at the time. They could do a job. This is much more like Barthez, only with many more mistakes. Even then, Barthez was moved on relatively quickly after he went downhill l.
Fergie absolutely did not tolerate bad keepers. I'm from that school of thought because of him. Onana is awful. Should be out of the club ASAP.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wasn't Taibi about 4.5m? Hardly cheap for a keeper at the time.

Nice to see people in here losing their minds again.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I’ve never forgiven Bartez for stopping play with his hand in the air and allowing DickCanio to score for West Ham cos he thought he was offside. My PE teach was 1) a dick, and 2) a WH supporter and gleefully ribbed me for an entire double lesson. Cock.

Superunknown

If the other team has a shot on our goal, I always feel that it is going to go in. That's not the kind of trait or belief you should have in a goal keeper. There's no presence there. What's the point if you score 3 goals if you're just going to let in 3, as well.

Can't be arsed waiting 3 or 4 seasons for him to either get good, or for us to lower our standards and convince ourselves that he is good. He's either good enough or he isn't. He's an experienced goalkeeper, but the issue I have is with his technique and shot-stopping ability. He's not a youth product who we're waiting for to come good.

If we don't see an improvement by the end of the season, move him the feck on and get someone in who can actually play in goal.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
The guy is athletic and decent with his feet. Apart from that he’s nothing special, loves to palm shots away rather than catch which inevitably just give the opposition another chance.

He’s a fecking trainwreck.

Drop him, let someone else in. Teach him that this isn’t the standard we’re looking for. Otherwise we just reward incompetence.

Bear in mind he made 2 good saves against Everton, 1 of which almost led to a goal because of his palm away style. The clean sheet was mainly gifted by Everton’s atrocious finishing.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We depend so much on keeper performance. Not a good thing to have if we want to move forward. I’m still not happy with him though.

Wilt

Likes to exaggerate his dives ….spends more time in the air than fecking Superman

calcio

Club needs to be ruthless and start scouting a replacement. Get a replacement identified and ready for the summer and see how Onana does the rest of the season to decide on path forward.

Is he being coached to change his band technical deficiencies or is there blame on him not learning or our staff not identifying and coaching.

lex talionis

Still traveling home so I haven’t seen these howlers yet, but it seems pretty safe to say now that we fukked ourselves pretty good by getting rid of De Gea and spending 40m for a substantially worse keeper.

RedRocket9908

Instead of putting all the blame for tbe goals on Onana for all the goals we need to be asking why the wall had a massive hole in it on the first one that allowed the ball through, why Martial flicked his head toward the ball on the 2nd like he was going to head it away but didnt bother to actually jump to it, and where were the defence on the 3rd one when we somehow ended up with Mainoo being the furthest player back trying to put a challenge in.

If the players in front on Onana had have done their jobs properly tonight none of those goals would have been scored.

JagUTD

Instead of putting all the blame for tbe goals on Onana for all the goals we need to be asking why the wall had a massive hole in it on the first one that allowed the ball through, why Martial flicked his head toward the ball on the 2nd like he was going to head it away but didnt bother to actually jump to it, and where were the defence on the 3rd one when we somehow ended up with Mainoo being the furthest player back trying to put a challenge in.

If the players in front on Onana had have done their jobs properly tonight none of those goals would have been scored.
Nah. Given the gap, what exactly was Onana doing moving across when it was obvious to anyone where the ball was going to go?

Martial missed the ball. Do you think it was intentional?

Mainoo tracked his run. I have to ask if you are being serious or just on a wind up?

Pronewbie

Peep
No no no, there's nothing to do with price tag or expectations vs the likes of Taibi, Carroll or Bosnich. This performance is objectively the worst I've seen in a United shirt. All 3 goals can clearly be pinned on him. I don't recall watching anything like that.

And for those who say - oh, the defence has to do better... That reminds me of the "we need X player to unlock Y's potential" bollocks.. for the build-up play, sure. But the actual saves were all on him. That's what a goalkeeper is for.

And this is coming from someone' who's been backing (and still hopes) Onana to play at Ederson's level.

ti vu

We depend so much on keeper performance. Not a good thing to have if we want to move forward. I’m still not happy with him though.
Ziyech's goals are very low in xG value. Even the best teams would still concede these types of free kick to break play and regroup to defend in numbers. In another word, you can change the whole team and the manager with best manager in the world and it's unacceptable for any top level GK to concede like this. Remember this is not one off occasion in a long while. That's too many of errors in less than half a season.

Moriarty

I'm old enough to remember Paddy Roche who was pretty bad but probably better than Onana. If it's true that we are in the market for four players in January, we'd better think about making it five.

leeroyTX

Imagine that this article was released this morning !

André Onana is starting to find his feet at Manchester United
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ester-united-goalkeeper-settled-defence-worth
Seemed like it was true. He has been playing well after the bad start. But I don't know how you recover from today. That gets in your head. A keeper with the yips gets you killed. It puts the back line in the mindset that they cannot give up a shot...and that is no way to defend.

dave2528

Taibi only played four times for us. Including a game where he did well against Liverpool away if I remember correctly? He was bad. Made shocking mistakes. But was moved on very quickly. Only cost 4.5m. We also had money back then to replace him!
This.

Taibi was dire but he was always only a stopgap replacement to fill in while Bosnich was crocked. We're seemingly stuck with Onana - having splashed the cash on a keeper who looks unfit for a League Two side.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
How was De Gea treated like shit by the club or ETH, De Gea treated the club like shit when he refuse to take a paycut on his 375k per week wages he shouldnt have had in the first place and refused to be a back-up for a new keeper.

De Gea made a lot of mistakes costing us goals that were worse than any Onana has done so far and anyone calling him a club legend is wrong.
De Gea signed the contract on reduced terms, but then the club and manager decided to retract the offer.

And how did you measure that De Gea's errors were worse? Because that tonight was as bad as it gets and there's been a few already. You can't say these aren't as bad. And to top it off he doesn't seem capable of pulling out the top class saves De Gea does. I reckon De Gea might have kept out the third tonight too.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
No no no, there's nothing to do with price tag or expectations vs the likes of Taibi, Carroll or Bosnich. This performance is objectively the worst I've seen in a United shirt. All 3 goals can clearly be pinned on him. I don't recall watching anything like that.

And for those who say - oh, the defence has to do better... That reminds me of the "we need X player to unlock Y's potential" bollocks.. for the build-up play, sure. But the actual saves were all on him. That's what a goalkeeper is for.

And this is coming from someone' who's been backing (and still hopes) Onana to play at Ederson's level.
I'd say there's no chance he'll ever be Edersons level. He's better in every summer way and his passing alone is light years ahead of Onana even at his best. Besides, these mistakes are nothing new. It was discussed on here when we signed him, this is just what we've bought. Ten Hag was either doing Onana a favour bringing him here, or he's just not as clever a football guy as painted out, and actually thought this would somehow not happen here.

Yakuza_devils

The supposed more "knowledgeable posters" who claimed to know a thing or two about football tactics were foaming at their mouth trying to convince everyone that Onana is the final piece of the puzzle and after signing him our play will be totally transformed and we will be able to play ETH style of play. We will be able to play from the deep, press high with intensity without worrying of counter attacking because Onana can stay high and play sweeper roles, the team will start to play modern attacking football.

Fast forward 4 months, everyone hope DDG is back to the club. Onana is Taibi level which SAF sold after a few blunders. But here we are now, after countless blunders he is still won't be dropped and still the indisputable No.1. This is our standard now.

ETH's signings are atrocious - Antony, Onana, Mount, Casemeiro all on big money and wages. Not to mention Sabitzer, Amrabat and Weghorst. No wonder we won nothing important for the last decade. We are truly the Disneyland of football.

Waynne

I'd take a half crocked De Gea over this guy. We're pissing points and progress away.

Why does it always seem that here at United we look to plug a hole, then another one opens up.

gajender

De Gea signed the contract on reduced terms, but then the club and manager decided to retract the offer.

And how did you measure that De Gea's errors were worse? Because that tonight was as bad as it gets and there's been a few already. You can't say these aren't as bad. And to top it off he doesn't seem capable of pulling out the top class saves De Gea does. I reckon De Gea might have kept out the third tonight too.
Get real don't be so fecking naive and gullible had there been any contract signed by De Gea, he would have sued United and won and rightly so .

gajender

The supposed more "knowledgeable posters" who claimed to know a thing or two about football tactics were foaming at their mouth trying to convince everyone that Onana is the final piece of the puzzle and after signing him our play will be totally transformed and we will be able to play ETH style of play. We will be able to play from the deep, press high with intensity without worrying of counter attacking because Onana can stay high and play sweeper roles, the team will start to play modern attacking football.

Fast forward 4 months, everyone hope DDG is back to the club. Onana is Taibi level which SAF sold after a few blunders. But here we are now, after countless blunders he is still won't be dropped and still the indisputable No.1. This is our standard now.

ETH's signings are atrocious - Antony, Onana, Mount, Casemeiro all on big money and wages. Not to mention Sabitzer, Amrabat and Weghorst. No wonder we won nothing important for the last decade. We are truly the Disneyland of football.
No they are not apart from De Gea Apologists and cultists most realise Letting De Gea leave was the right call , just because Onana is struggling big time doesn't change that it only means he might not be the answer as well .